Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:31:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5392 5393 5394 5395 5396 5397 5398 5399 5400 5401 5402 5403 5404 5405 5406 5407 5408 5409 5410 5411 5412 5413 5414 5415 5416 5417 5418 5419 5420 5421 5422 5423 5424 5425 5426 5427 5428 5429 5430 5431 5432 5433 5434 5435 5436 5437 5438 5439 5440 5441 [5442] 5443 5444 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 5451 5452 5453 5454 5455 5456 5457 5458 5459 5460 5461 5462 5463 5464 5465 5466 5467 5468 5469 5470 5471 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722528 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 11:12:49 PM

No way in hell you're getting me to waste my time reading that. I'll never get those 10 minutes back... Roll Eyes

Don't read it.

But that's okay as I'm already a "troll" right?

Others may read it some may not...doesn't bother me. I'm just posting facts and my own take on those facts.

Look I understand you have your issues with Dash, I get it, I really do, but I don't understand the crusade?

I know you are reasonable unlike some of the other hardcore haters, so why do you continue to hash over the same stuff over and over. 

I've read it and most of your other posts, yes you have the right to an opinion, but when an opinion turns into a vendetta its just pointless.

Can't we all just get along and go our separate ways? 

This is all in your perspective.

Posting facts is not a "vendetta".

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 11:17:20 PM

It appears that Dash uses the "attacker economist" approach.

I happened to read the quote, but what exactly are you referring to? What part of DASH implementation uses it and what sub-type of attacker economist logic is used?

Here is another quote of exactly what I am getting at in reference to DASH:

In other words, instead of purposely designing their systems to be cryptographically sound so that the "attacker will definitely fail" or the "attacker will probably fail", they instead (unwittingly?) design it so that "the attacker's expected cost of carrying out an attack exceeds the attacker's expected benefit from doing so."

The unfortunate knock-on effect is that such an approach only works like that for a limited time...as the value of the cryptocurrency grows, so does the level of sophistication of the attackers that find it an interesting target.

Trying to solve the privacy problems in a way that relies on the honesty and opsec of a small group of individuals is simply privacy theatre, no different from those that claim that Bitcoin is private as long as there's no address reuse.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2015, 11:20:24 PM

Searching Dash on ixquick it comes up on first page   Grin
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 11:26:30 PM

I have a theory that if you guys stop "feeding the trolls" (quit replying to their posts! dont give them the attention they are whining for!)... they will get bored and go trollolol somewhere else...

wanna try?

Nothing can stop the trolls, because Dash thread is the most popular thread on BCT with +5 million views.

If your desperate for attention, Dash thread is the #1 destination, because it has the most eyeballs.   It's that simple.  If you want to spam your sig, or try to get traders to your shitcoin, in the troll's mind, this is the place (because they don't know they look stupid).

It is a big complement to Dash, like Oscar Wilde said, the only thing worse than people talking about you, is no people talking about you Wink

EDIT: maybe that is why the Bitcoin mods are angry too Wink

As usual dash supporters are only partially correct (it is #2 not #1):

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2015, 11:29:45 PM

Searching Dash on ixquick it comes up on first page   Grin
Nice. We're moving up! That's important.  Tongue

Tinkles

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 11:32:06 PM

Yep, I like Dash..  This is the Dash thread.  I guess your not a Dash supporter then, your here for the eyeballs Wink
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 12:25:42 AM

I happened to read the quote, but what exactly are you referring to? What part of DASH implementation uses it and what sub-type of attacker economist logic is used?

In other words, instead of purposely designing their systems to be cryptographically sound so that the "attacker will definitely fail" or the "attacker will probably fail", they instead (unwittingly?) design it so that "the attacker's expected cost of carrying out an attack exceeds the attacker's expected benefit from doing so."

The unfortunate knock-on effect is that such an approach only works like that for a limited time...as the value of the cryptocurrency grows, so does the level of sophistication of the attackers that find it an interesting target.

Trying to solve the privacy problems in a way that relies on the honesty and opsec of a small group of individuals is simply privacy theatre, no different from those that claim that Bitcoin is private as long as there's no address reuse.

IMO you are right on that, however this is a failure of all cryptocurrencies, not DASH exclusively. Cryptocurrencies rely on attacker economist rationale, including Monero, Bitcoin etc. "Honest miners", bloat attacks vs fees increase (Bytecoin attackers (?) on Monero), etc etc.

The mining process itself is one where you expect that the other will not do something stupid to the blockchain, but instead respect his mining costs. But if you are a government and bring an NSA super-farm online, and don't care about "mining costs", well, you can fuck up every PoW blockchain on the planet because cryptocurrencies have not been designed to withstand such an attack. And if you have money to spend, you can fuck up every PoS blockchain. And if you have money to spend, you can also sybil every transaction, including Cryptonote.

Would I like crypto to be more sound? I would. Would I like people to take its security more seriously? I would. That's not what we have though and I'm not seeing many working towards this direction.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 12:40:50 AM

No way in hell you're getting me to waste my time reading that. I'll never get those 10 minutes back... Roll Eyes

Don't read it.

Others may read it some may not...doesn't bother me. I'm just posting facts and my own take on those facts.

Look I understand you have your issues with Dash, I get it, I really do, but I don't understand the crusade?

I know you are reasonable unlike some of the other hardcore haters, so why do you continue to hash over the same stuff over and over. 

I've read it and most of your other posts, yes you have the right to an opinion, but when an opinion turns into a vendetta its just pointless.

How many times are you going to post the same "facts"

We both know you aren't stupid.

The blog post he quoted was from yesterday. I doubt it had been posted many times before.

Question for you Props: Is there any possible new information or analysis which would cause you to reconsider your opinion about Dash's design?
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 12:47:42 AM

So you suggest that grouping DASH is a good idea to increase masternodes.
This introduces counterparty risk and centralization.

great! (or not?)

The thing is, bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are *base money*. You can't run a financial system on base money alone - at least not a developed one. It would be like trying to ride the tour-de-france in bottom gear the whole way round, including the mountain stages.

Layers evolve on top of it which disperse the wealth.

For example, lets take a hypothetical scenario where Bitcoin captures 0.1% (one tenth of one percent) or world asset marketcap. Meanwhile, Dash captures one percent (1%) of Bitcoin's marketcap. (It's currently at a quarter of one percent BTC marketcap).

That would put the value of masternode collateral at around half a million dollars ($500,000).

Lets say that's enough of a cap for a certain institutional - such as trade union, pension fund, corporate trust, whatever, to at least hedge into 10 masternodes which would represent a capital sum of $5 million fiat equivalent.

The annualised return on that element of their portfolio (at today's payout levels) would be around $350,000 (350 thousand dollars) if realised, just from blockchain revenue alone.  Remember that masternode revenue as mining revenue is not fiat gain until you cash into dollars and coming against that is a constant increase in coin supply through mining, so it's possibly not as great a return as that but still measurable.

However, the corporate fund has that money invested on behalf of its subscribers who may number in the 100's of thousands. Moreover, although there is "counterparty risk" for the fund subscribers, there is none for the fund (necessarily) since they are at liberty to manage the base asset - the blockchain keys - themselves if they so choose.

* Working
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 12:49:39 AM

IMO you are right on that, however this is a failure of all cryptocurrencies, not DASH exclusively. Cryptocurrencies rely on attacker economist rationale, including Monero, Bitcoin etc. "Honest miners", bloat attacks vs fees increase (Bytecoin attackers (?) on Monero), etc etc.

The mining process itself is one where you expect that the other will not do something stupid to the blockchain, but instead respect his mining costs. But if you are a government and bring an NSA super-farm online, and don't care about "mining costs", well, you can fuck up every PoW blockchain on the planet because cryptocurrencies have not been designed to withstand such an attack. And if you have money to spend, you can fuck up every PoS blockchain. And if you have money to spend, you can also sybil every transaction, including Cryptonote.

Would I like crypto to be more sound? I would. Would I like people to take its security more seriously? I would. That's not what we have though and I'm not seeing many working towards this direction.

Yes I agree that at the mining level or forking the block chain with enough computational power is an issue (inherent with any coin using a similar consensus model for verification of transactions), BUT that is not the issue we are discussing as that is merely determining the block/ledger for which a coin stores transactions. The item of topic was "privacy" and how Dash's approach has been an "attacker economist" approach.

The focus of the paper was on breaking cryptographic KEYS and the analogy being used specifically targeting the privacy system Dash has put into place.

This ^ has really nothing to do with mining. But rather the algorithm put into place being "just good enough" from a "attacker economist" point of view concerning PRIVACY.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 12:50:56 AM

Don't read it.

How many times are you going to post the same "facts"

We both know you aren't stupid.

Hello!

I posted a Daniel J Burnstein blog post that talks about new facts and issues. WRITTEN 2 DAYS AGO. Not very old I'd say.

Please read it instead of point out that I am "rehashing" old issues. When the topic is actually new issues of discussion.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

bigrcanada

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 12:52:52 AM

OK.  So... Can we please stop engaging these individuals?  That would be great.  I asked much as love talking with trolls... I really don't.

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
bigrcanada

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 12:55:50 AM

Does anyone have any info on what we are to expect with Evolution?

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 12:59:24 AM

"Not (Yet) Worth Attacking" = security in (economic) obscurity

I like how the obviously lying DashHole claims that 1) he read DJB's paper in 10 minutes and 2) it wasn't worth his time.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
bigrcanada

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 01:01:08 AM

Nice Move~!

Looking forword to the Andriod version.

Congrats from China~!

Sorry... But I didn't find a response to my earlier query... If there was/is a similar wallet available now for Android?

It's a different DASH wallet for Android, but it's also good enough:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hashengineering.darkcoin.wallet

As far as I know Breadwallet is iPhone only, it'd be nice to have a glitsy Android wallet too but hashengineerings one works well. Both might be old-hat soon enough anyway. DAPI, No need to download an app, just browse and go Wink

I. don't know what DAPI stands for or how that will effect the wallet. Please advise.
It's a feature coming with Evolution. It's a decentralized API that will allow you to safely use the Dash network and maintain your account without hosting a wallet yourself. It other words, no need for wallets at all.

Really?  I'm wondering if I should wait to implement our payment system till  that rolls out.  On second thought...I think I read some where that this feature was not going to be ready till early spring.   We are going to need a wallet I'm assuming if we are accepting BTC...

The details are due for release at the Miami conference in January but the full rollout of Evolution is expected to take 18 months iirc, the DAPI is supposed to come early in that and apparently it's going well, Evan mentioned its turning out nice to work with a week or two ago.
Thanks Stan!

TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 01:23:42 AM

Actually, AlexGR, he isn't at all right.  Mostly because he presents one attack vector, which is nearly impossible to acheive, as the only issue.  The point isn't to get a majority control over all masternodes, but rather a 90%+ minimum for less than 1% chance of deanonymizing a transaction.

It's not a matter of how much it costs to gain control over the MN network enough to either deanonymize a transaction or other malicious actions (such as double spends, etc...) It's a matter of ability, and there is no way any entity can do this without just about everyone selling off their Masternodes, and only to this malicious entity in a free market.  You think that's going to happen?  Heck, it'd be awesome if it would, our coins would be worth tens of thousands of dollars (maybe hundreds of thousands) and we could sell them to the fools, then turn around and start a new coin, abandon the old one to the malicious entities and all be SUPER rich on top of it all.

The trolls don't think this through. 

Where he gets the idea that this situation is limited in time is beyond me.  The more time goes on, the more distribution of the masternodes we get.  More different people buy them, the holders of tons of MNs sell a few, and others buy, etc....  On an open and free market.  It's just not possible.  And it gets more impossible each day.

This does not rely on honesty, this relies on the self interests of all parties.

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 01:31:31 AM

Well, this is what I can remember from what has been told to us:

There will be a DAPI, or a Distributed Applications Programming Layer which will allow developers to develop applications on top of Dash Core.
Every transaction will be an instantX transaction, where miners will no longer make the decision on what to include in the blockchain, but masternode quorums will.
And somehow mixing is supposed to be instant.

I think the first thing that will come out is the DAPI

Everything else is elaboration on the talk Evan gave at Bicoin Wednesday and rampant speculation, which is always fun, but I'm afraid I've done enough of that, and I'll bore everyone again if I go on, LOL.

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 01:37:09 AM

Spanish ?

DASH ENTRA AL MERCADO MÓVIL CON UNA WALLET PARA IPHONE
http://bitcoinnewses.com/bitcoinespanol/dash-entra-al-mercado-movil-con-una-wallet-para-iphone/

Portuguese ?

DASH: NOVA CARTEIRA PARA IPHONE, RECEBA 0.5 EM DASH PARA TESTÁ-LA
http://www.bitcoinnews.com.br/bitcoinbrasil/dash-nova-carteira-para-iphone-receba-0-5-em-dash-para-testa-la/

Wink

dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 01:38:04 AM

I'm guessing some marketing hype terms and "cool features" without real technological innovations.

We already heard that mixing will likely still be done in masternodes, requiring liquidity providers to function (red flag, centralization, weakness in anonymity and usability).
Also, probably no peer reviewed paper when Evolution is announced, making it an attempt to pump vaporware.
 So don't have too high expectations...

bigrcanada

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 03:12:38 AM

Looking forward to all the new features.  Amazing stuff going on... It's great to have our devs coding and developing and not on here wasting time.

It's great when they(devs) are quietly working away... I for one can feel the excitement build.

Can we please have a outline list of all the up coming features? Are these currently being kept quite till roll out date?

Pages: « 1 ... 5392 5393 5394 5395 5396 5397 5398 5399 5400 5401 5402 5403 5404 5405 5406 5407 5408 5409 5410 5411 5412 5413 5414 5415 5416 5417 5418 5419 5420 5421 5422 5423 5424 5425 5426 5427 5428 5429 5430 5431 5432 5433 5434 5435 5436 5437 5438 5439 5440 5441 [5442] 5443 5444 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 5451 5452 5453 5454 5455 5456 5457 5458 5459 5460 5461 5462 5463 5464 5465 5466 5467 5468 5469 5470 5471 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: