Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:11:28 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5074 5075 5076 5077 5078 5079 5080 5081 5082 5083 5084 5085 5086 5087 5088 5089 5090 5091 5092 5093 5094 5095 5096 5097 5098 5099 5100 5101 5102 5103 5104 5105 5106 5107 5108 5109 5110 5111 5112 5113 5114 5115 5116 5117 5118 5119 5120 5121 5122 5123 [5124] 5125 5126 5127 5128 5129 5130 5131 5132 5133 5134 5135 5136 5137 5138 5139 5140 5141 5142 5143 5144 5145 5146 5147 5148 5149 5150 5151 5152 5153 5154 5155 5156 5157 5158 5159 5160 5161 5162 5163 5164 5165 5166 5167 5168 5169 5170 5171 5172 5173 5174 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722683 times)
AzzAz
Legendary

Activity: 1030
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 11:16:49 PM

There is a fix in github for having wallets hang at 75% during sync of masternode winners, wait for next update or remove all .dat files except your wallet.dat and restart yr wallet.
Did you do any cold wallet "masternode start passphrase" in those 6 days ? Because that would put you back behind in the line again.

Did deleting, did restarting...no help.
Last just restarted comp and all is fine again. Windows... think it has something to do with firefox many open tabs...
Solarminer

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 11:19:13 PM

Another good episode is Let's Talk Bitcoin! #241 - The 'Big Blockist' Perspective
https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/lets-talk-bitcoin-241-the-big-blockist-perspective

Adam talks about the block size and puts it into perspective based on transactions available.  Currently, bitcoin can only do 2-4 transactions per second.  So if 64 million people want to transact in bitcoin, they could only make 1 transaction per year with current block size.

If we look at banking transaction, this is what is needed for blocksize for each.
US Bank Wires(150 Million transactions) = 1.7MB
Swift(international) wires(5 Billion transactions) = 53.3MB
ACH(19 Billion transactions) = 202.4MB

Thinking about the 202.4MB blocksize?  That would add 29GB to the blockchain EACH DAY.  Almost the entire size of the bitcoin blockchain today.

Now to figure out how DASH does with this same metric.  What is the average transaction size?  
I looked at a raw transaction and it had 3500 characters without spaces.  
Assuming a character is a byte then this size is 3500bytes.
/1024 to convert to KB = 3.4KB
Am I close on this?
UdjinM6
Legendary

Activity: 1318
Merit: 1040

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2015, 11:25:17 PM

Another good episode is Let's Talk Bitcoin! #241 - The 'Big Blockist' Perspective
https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/lets-talk-bitcoin-241-the-big-blockist-perspective

Adam talks about the block size and puts it into perspective based on transactions available.  Currently, bitcoin can only do 2-4 transactions per second.  So if 64 million people want to transact in bitcoin, they could only make 1 transaction per year with current block size.

If we look at banking transaction, this is what is needed for blocksize for each.

Thinking about the 202.4MB blocksize?  That would add 29GB to the blockchain EACH DAY.  Almost the entire size of the bitcoin blockchain today.

Now to figure out how DASH does with this same metric.  What is the average transaction size?  
Am I close on this?
block size: https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/size-dash.html
number of txes per day: https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactions-dash.html
number of blocks per day: https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/#!overview

(number of blocks per day) x (block size) / (number of txes per day)

EDIT: wrong chart, fixed Smiley

DASH: XsV4GHVKGTjQFvwB7c6mYsGV3Mxf7iser6
Solarminer

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 11:29:08 PM

Check out the latest Let's Talk Bitcoin podcast "EB94 Gavin Andersen".  It talks about the block size debate and details about the little bit of bitcoin governance.   
https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/epicenter-bitcoin-94-gavin-andresen-on-the-blocksize-and-bitcoins-governance

Couple quotes. (paraphrasing)
Gavin: There are currently no systems of decentralized governance.
     Ah, I know of one....

Gavin: There are 3 full time developers getting paid to work on Bitcoin.

Crazy to see only 3 people maintaining a 3.3 million dollar marketcap coin.  DASH with only 1/235th of that size has a blockchain that can pay about 1 full time developer directly.  If DASH were at Bitcoin's size it could fund 235 full time people. Now that is progress!

Gavin: I don't think it is a good idea to change to a variable block size vs a halving every 4 years.

Hmm. I guess we will see the pain with this next year during the Bitcoin block halving.  Half the miners will need to stop, or the Bitcoin price will need to double overnight.  Glad DASH changes with a minor 7% change every year.

Really? Really?  Kind thoughtful words from a BTC developer?  My heart melts!  Thanks Mr. Anderson for finally looking at this project with an open mind!
Gavin only said the underlined stuff.  My comments are under his.
UdjinM6
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2015, 11:36:20 PM

Talking about masternode payments, is it me or do the MN payments seem to have like a 3 day period these days ?

Probably because mine keeps dropping off - ugh
Huh
crash on v51?

Solarminer

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 12:27:36 AM

Am I close on this?
block size: https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/size-dash.html
number of txes per day: https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactions-dash.html
number of blocks per day: https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/#!overview

(number of blocks per day) x (block size) / (number of txes per day)

EDIT: wrong chart, fixed Smiley
Wow that was fast.  Thanks UdjinM6.
OK so looking at one of the peak transaction days June 21st.  5K average block size (I assume this is Kilobytes) and 2.75K transactions (I assume 2750 transactions)
5KB/2750 * 576 blocks/day = 1.04 KB transaction size(.001MB)

Block size with DASH needed for:
US Bank Wires(150 Million transactions) = 0.74MB
Swift(international) wires(5 Billion transactions) = 24.7MB
ACH(19 Billion transactions) = 93.9MB

Now lets look at the ACH transactions with DASH. 93.9MB X 576 blocks/day so daily add to the blockchain is 54GB.

It looks like the heavier transaction days have smaller transaction sizes.  So maybe there is an improvement with higher transaction rates.  Going this direction though, it looks like we should be optimizing transaction sizes or pruning off old blocks to scale this up.
UdjinM6
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2015, 12:49:27 AM

Talking about masternode payments, is it me or do the MN payments seem to have like a 3 day period these days ?

Probably because mine keeps dropping off - ugh
Huh
crash on v51?

not since V51 - yet - I keep watching...

edit: Active Duration
1 day 21 hours 28 seconds

edit 2:
I tried to shut down the MN and restart in within a few minutes and it reset my MN to the back of the list - so if you have the corr3ect MN re-start CMDs that would be great because it's not working for me

That's strange... I restart daemon many many times each day (only daemon, no "masternode start"!!) - it never dropped to the end of a queue..

TheFiendishOne

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 02:53:39 AM

per the official websites mining page https://www.dashpay.io/mining/

I downloaded the ccminer optimized for GTX 750 Ti and AVG is picking up that ccminer as a threat "ADP.ARES.Generic"

I want to assume this is a false positive, but figured I'd get some feedback first?

UdjinM6
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2015, 03:00:42 AM

per the official websites mining page https://www.dashpay.io/mining/

I downloaded the ccminer optimized for GTX 750 Ti and AVG is picking up that ccminer as a threat "ADP.ARES.Generic"

I want to assume this is a false positive, but figured I'd get some feedback first?

DISCLAIMER: This list is provided for informational purposes only. Services listed here have not been evaluated or endorsed by the Dash developers and no guarantees are made as to the accuracy of this information. Please exercise discretion when using third-party services.
Roll Eyes

I think it's better to ask author there https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=770064.0

Solarminer

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 03:27:20 AM

Some comparisons of DASH vs Bitcoin metrics for those interested.  Thanks to Sub-Ether for the TAO ratios.  Note that the two most meaningful numbers here are the blockchain growth and TAO as these affect usability and bandwidth.

I would bet the TAO ratio is more dependent on internet speed.  The blockchain download speed of 1MB/S is about 8Mbps.  That approaches the entry level 8Mbps or 10Mbps speed offered by ISPs and could be the limiting factor in updating.

DASH Metrics                                           DASH      Bitcoin
Average Transaction Size                              1           0.85   KB
Average Transactions per Day                    1500       110000  Transactions/Day
Blockchain Size                                          1.4          47     GB
Blockchain Growth                                      1.5         93.5   MB/Day
Blockchain Update Speed/hr blocktime(TAO)  0.15         4.14    Sec/Hr
Blockchain Download Speed                        0.417       0.941   MB/Sec
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 03:39:58 AM

Check out the latest Let's Talk Bitcoin podcast "EB94 Gavin Andersen".  It talks about the block size debate and details about the little bit of bitcoin governance.   
https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/epicenter-bitcoin-94-gavin-andresen-on-the-blocksize-and-bitcoins-governance

Couple quotes. (paraphrasing)
Gavin: There are currently no systems of decentralized governance.
     Ah, I know of one....

Gavin: There are 3 full time developers getting paid to work on Bitcoin.

Crazy to see only 3 people maintaining a 3.3 million dollar marketcap coin.  DASH with only 1/235th of that size has a blockchain that can pay about 1 full time developer directly.  If DASH were at Bitcoin's size it could fund 235 full time people. Now that is progress!

Gavin: I don't think it is a good idea to change to a variable block size vs a halving every 4 years.

Hmm. I guess we will see the pain with this next year during the Bitcoin block halving.  Half the miners will need to stop, or the Bitcoin price will need to double overnight.  Glad DASH changes with a minor 7% change every year.

Really? Really?  Kind thoughtful words from a BTC developer?  My heart melts!  Thanks Mr. Anderson for finally looking at this project with an open mind!
Gavin only said the underlined stuff.  My comments are under his.

Oh shoot, I didn't realize that.  I knew it was too good to be true, LOL!

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 04:48:44 AM

Need some Voting Details/Update ?

Check:
https://dashninja.pl/budgets.html

And Remember:

TheFiendishOne

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 05:17:58 AM

thanks

tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 07:20:54 AM

anybody ready to back me up here ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3is9o8/block_size_debate_is_bad_another_huge_debate/

i on purpose did not mention the "D" word
but feel free to drop that into the comments !
 Wink
ArpFlush

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 07:43:32 AM

That's strange... I restart daemon many many times each day (only daemon, no "masternode start"!!) - it never dropped to the end of a queue..
Can we see somehow "where" we are in that queue?

"Panic Selling is not an Investment Strategy"
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 08:26:03 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3is9o8/block_size_debate_is_bad_another_huge_debate/

Wink

I'm sorry Tungfa, but I honestly don't think most of those people have enough neurons create synapse.  They're so blind and/or stupid, sorry, but I don't care about their individual IQs, they're blind and stupid period.  And in a few years at most, Dash and possibly a couple of other innovative coins will blindside them.  But this is OK.  Bitcoin will become a tool of the banks.  The thing is, once Banks adopt it, then people will have easy access to bitcoins.  Once people have access to bitcoins, well, they have access to everything else!

I would never have seen this picture, and I've panicked in the past, but I'm starting to see clearly, the way to world domination, LOL.  And it will be a natural growth.  We just have to clean and tighten and be sure Dash can handle attack, make it waterproof, then air tight and finally hermetically sealed and space worthy.

We don't need no stinkin' governmental approval, we just need the people's approval via use and usefulness!  That is the whole idea in the first place.  Governments are the most corrupt institutions on the planet, why should we worry about their approval.  The tighter their grip, the more galaxies citizens will slip through their fingers. (hey, it was an old saying even before Leia said it)  So Ok, I think I'm getting too corny, signing off.... sorry I wasn't any help Sad

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 08:40:48 AM

Wink

I'm sorry Tungfa, but I honestly don't think most of those people have enough neurons create synapse.  They're so blind and/or stupid, sorry, but I don't care about their individual IQs, they're blind and stupid period.  And in a few years at most, Dash and possibly a couple of other innovative coins will blindside them.  But this is OK.  Bitcoin will become a tool of the banks.  The thing is, once Banks adopt it, then people will have easy access to bitcoins.  Once people have access to bitcoins, well, they have access to everything else!

I would never have seen this picture, and I've panicked in the past, but I'm starting to see clearly, the way to world domination, LOL.  And it will be a natural growth.  We just have to clean and tighten and be sure Dash can handle attack, make it waterproof, then air tight and finally hermetically sealed and space worthy.

We don't need no stinkin' governmental approval, we just need the people's approval via use and usefulness!  That is the whole idea in the first place.  Governments are the most corrupt institutions on the planet, why should we worry about their approval.  The tighter their grip, the more galaxies citizens will slip through their fingers. (hey, it was an old saying even before Leia said it)  So Ok, I think I'm getting too corny, signing off.... sorry I wasn't any help Sad

do not be sorry
and do not tell me

tell them
 Wink
Sub-Ether

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Quantum entangled and jump drive assisted messages

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 09:00:23 AM

Some comparisons of DASH vs Bitcoin metrics for those interested.  Thanks to Sub-Ether for the TAO ratios.  Note that the two most meaningful numbers here are the blockchain growth and TAO as these affect usability and bandwidth.

I would bet the TAO ratio is more dependent on internet speed.  The blockchain download speed of 1MB/S is about 8Mbps.  That approaches the entry level 8Mbps or 10Mbps speed offered by ISPs and could be the limiting factor in updating.

DASH Metrics                                           DASH      Bitcoin
Average Transaction Size                              1           0.85   KB
Average Transactions per Day                    1500       110000  Transactions/Day
Blockchain Size                                          1.4          47     GB
Blockchain Growth                                      1.5         93.5   MB/Day
Blockchain Update Speed/hr blocktime(TAO)  0.15         4.14    Sec/Hr
Blockchain Download Speed                        0.417       0.941   MB/Sec

I agree there is a cut off point 'entry level' for ISP speed, the bitcoin one is much higher than Dash of course, but instantX negates a high bandwidth requirement altogether, as proved by me doing instantX transactions on an android phone that has a bandwidth of a dial up network equivalent (not a full client of course, but at ~1.2 gigabyte, it is still possible on a mobile)

Actually whether you are using a solid state drive or magnetic makes quite a difference for bitcoin (not much for lightweight Dash, btw) as there is a hell a lot of data to be processed with big blocks and 47 gig total, and my HDD reference machine is down atm unfortunately to cross reference it (worn it out, mining, going to try some new capacitors on mobo, lol).

For updating, I barely use 5% of a 100 meg bandwidth connection even for bitcoin, what is more likely the network and the seed nodes are too slow to keep up with the client, this is the reaction time and quality factor that I was trying to model with Tao.

The usability and Tao ratio upto the maximum of 1 megabyte full blocks could be something like this,
doesn't matter if its a 8 megabyte block either, as a full block always means a flat line, no more transactions can be sent!

y = tanh(x)

Dash is 27.3 times faster with syncing and updating than Bitcoin and 93.7 times faster than Monero. Bitcoin (v0.11.0) has a Tao ratio 11.2% faster than bitcoin (v0.10.0) release.
Dash (v.0.12.0.49) = Tao sync ratio = 0.15 seconds / hour of update || Dash (v.0.11.2.23) = Tao sync ratio = 0.24 seconds / hour of update. V12 versus V11 speedup = +36.5%
Bitcoin (v.0.11.0) = Tao sync ratio = 4.14 seconds / hour of update || Monero (v.0.41.1)  = Tao sync ratio = 14.2 seconds / hour of update
hiddensphinx
Legendary

Activity: 1457

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 09:04:58 AM

any update on when the iOS wallet will be out for DASH?

Take your Bitcoin and Altcoin trading strategy to another level with Trade Santa! - https://tradesanta.com/en/site/set-referral-cookie?referral_id=111843
ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2015, 09:08:28 AM

Very weird, my pool's daemon (latest version) just got stuck and did not respond to anything. A "kill -9" and a restart fixed it.

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
Pages: « 1 ... 5074 5075 5076 5077 5078 5079 5080 5081 5082 5083 5084 5085 5086 5087 5088 5089 5090 5091 5092 5093 5094 5095 5096 5097 5098 5099 5100 5101 5102 5103 5104 5105 5106 5107 5108 5109 5110 5111 5112 5113 5114 5115 5116 5117 5118 5119 5120 5121 5122 5123 [5124] 5125 5126 5127 5128 5129 5130 5131 5132 5133 5134 5135 5136 5137 5138 5139 5140 5141 5142 5143 5144 5145 5146 5147 5148 5149 5150 5151 5152 5153 5154 5155 5156 5157 5158 5159 5160 5161 5162 5163 5164 5165 5166 5167 5168 5169 5170 5171 5172 5173 5174 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: