Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:27:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 ... 484 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEM] NEM -New Economy Movement - No Envy Movement - Updates+Discussion thread  (Read 661421 times)
ashapasa

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:22:12 PM

I This is causing "a fuzz" for me, because it gets emphasized again and again, so I had to ask.

It's being nemphasized again and again because it s very nemportant. People are always saying how great it is that NEM has such a big community and how that is going to contribute to it's success. How much is it going to contribute if most of the community are only investors that aren't willing to do anything ?

Yes I agree wholeheartedly, we need people to participate. The important question is ; can we make a stakeholder participate if he feels disinclined to do so? in such a event is it right to take away his/her stake? How can we justify a person like 2Kool4Skewl  getting a stake and not a 16 year old noob. These are difficult questions to answer  Huh for me atleast.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:27:33 PM

I This is causing "a fuzz" for me, because it gets emphasized again and again, so I had to ask.

It's being nemphasized again and again because it s very nemportant. People are always saying how great it is that NEM has such a big community and how that is going to contribute to it's success. How much is it going to contribute if most of the community are only investors that aren't willing to do anything ?

Yes I agree wholeheartedly, we need people to participate. The important question is ; can we make a stakeholder participate if he feels disinclined to do so? in such a event is it right to take away his/her stake? How can we justify a person like 2Kool4Skewl  getting a stake and not a 16 year old noob. These are difficult questions to answer  Huh for me atleast.

I don't think that's what's going to happen.

jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 12:33:52 PM

Is Etherium really as revolutionary as this guy makes it out to be ? Can some of the more knowledgeable posters please enlighten me on how they are so much better than both NXT & NEM potentially ( since Etherium is yet to be released)

I think if Ethereum is really what it promises, it is that big of a deal.  

The way I see it is like this.  In the short term, it doesn't matter.  In the short term from a functionality perspective, they will all have the same functions.  The lead developer of Ethereum mentioned this in an interview recently.  Both will have multi-sig functions and asset exchanges and other key aspects.  Things that bitcoin simply can't do because its code is not designed for it.  So in this aspect, NXT has somewhat of a 1st mover bump.  

But.... Ethereum is designed basically to do anything and everything in the future, most of which hasn't been designed yet, or for that matter even thought of yet.  So, it is very possible that in 5 years, NXT will find itself in the "Bitcoin" situation of not being able to meet the needs of a new market.  A platform that was revolutionary and great at the time, but eventually limited for what it needs to do.  And then again.... maybe it won't.  Maybe it will prove very versatile and adaptable.  But I see a very long "blue-ray vs HD DVD" battle coming up between "Ethereum vs Ripple vs NXT" with honorable mention of NEM.  (and then trailing after that counterparty and bitshares)

Ethereum and NEM are late to the game, but both have advantages that if leveraged can really be a big factor.  Ripple and NXT are here now, both with advantages and disadvantages that makes them very polarized and hated/loved in the community.  It all depends on how bad their decisions are and how much NEM can monopolize their failings.  On top of that, NXT has already quasi-set a framework for NEM to follow.   This is not a bitcoin vs litecoin type of battle.  It is going to be much closer than that.  

One things for sure, NEM has the chance to be the people's 2.0 platform, but it will not be easy and we will really need to work as a community to make it happen.  

PS.  You asked for "knowledgeable" and well...... that probably isn't me, I am a newbie, but I thought I would give it a go. hahaha

ashapasa

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:37:12 PM

thank you for the explanation  Smiley , very informative.
utopianfuture (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:37:39 PM

I don't think that is the same as saying someone is not suitable but I guess that's up for interpretation.

I do mean every stakeholders are expected to contribute in building NEM. It does not necessarily mean you need to contribute something right now since you could help NEM in the future by running nodes, spreading the words etc. The key word is that stakeholders are expected to contribute at some point. If you think of it as an IPO and you are an investor, then NEM is not for you at this phase.  
In short, stakeholders = contributors. Investors = someone putting money in and expect others to do the works, coding, promoting etc. This should be made clear.

Could clarify this?

1. What do you expect?
2. When do you expect this?
3. How are you going to enforce stakeholders to contribute?

1. Pretty much anything that helps NEM.
e.g.
  • running a node
  • spreading the word
  • joining the swarm team
  • discussing ideas in the forum

simply stuff you do when your excited about something.

2. I guess whenever you have time and feel like it. Many people are discussing things and sharing ideas already.

3. Don't think it will be enforced. It's just very much encouraged.

I don't get why this is causing such a fuzz.

Okay, then we are clear on those points (if UtopianFuture (NEM) agrees)

This is causing "a fuzz" for me, because it gets emphasized again and again, so I had to ask.

I think Pat are pretty much on the point. In a way, NEM structure and fundraising is uniquely different from all other so call IPO so it is good that people are worked up and ask questions since that is opportunity to clear all the muddied issues.

For number 3, there is no practical enforcement. In my interpretation, participation is not restricted to the past or the present. It could be some type of participation in the future. So unless the community has a different interpretation of participation and get really warmed up to that idea and and cook up a practical way to enforce it, things will stay the way they have been so far.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
utopianfuture (OP)

Internet of Value

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:15:25 PM

Is Etherium really as revolutionary as this guy makes it out to be ? Can some of the more knowledgeable posters please enlighten me on how they are so much better than both NXT & NEM potentially ( since Etherium is yet to be released)

The way I see it is like this.  In the short term, it doesn't matter.  In the short term from a functionality perspective, they will all have the same functions.  The lead developer of Ethereum mentioned this in an interview recently.  Both will have multi-sig functions and asset exchanges and other key aspects.  Things that bitcoin simply can't do because its code is not designed for it.  So in this aspect, NXT has somewhat of a 1st mover bump.  

But.... Ethereum is designed basically to do anything and everything in the future, most of which hasn't been designed yet, or for that matter even thought of yet.  So, it is very possible that in 5 years, NXT will find itself in the "Bitcoin" situation of not being able to meet the needs of a new market.  A platform that was revolutionary and great at the time, but eventually limited for what it needs to do.  And then again.... maybe it won't.  Maybe it will prove very versatile and adaptable.  But I see a very long "blue-ray vs HD DVD" battle coming up between "Ethereum vs Ripple vs NXT" with honorable mention of NEM.  (and then trailing after that counterparty and bitshares)

Ethereum and NEM are late to the game, but both have advantages that if leveraged can really be a big factor.  Ripple and NXT are here now, both with advantages and disadvantages that makes them very polarized and hated/loved in the community.  It all depends on how bad their decisions are and how much NEM can monopolize their failings.  On top of that, NXT has already quasi-set a framework for NEM to follow.   This is not a bitcoin vs litecoin type of battle.  It is going to be much closer than that.  

One things for sure, NEM has the chance to be the people's 2.0 platform, but it will not be easy and we will really need to work as a community to make it happen.  

PS.  You asked for "knowledgeable" and well...... that probably isn't me, I am a newbie, but I thought I would give it a go. hahaha

Ethereum : impractical idea - no practical use cases
Ripple: outdated model - limited appeal
Mastercoin+ Counterparty: unsuitable foundation - limited functionality
Invictus Bitshare : fragmented products, lack a correct vision
Exo: dubious fundamental
Bitcoin: still great but the old King with new problems popping up everyday
NXT: XXXXXX
NEM: the 2015 King - best developers- best innovation - best vision - best community

Disclaimer: comments are with guaranteed objectivity as long as you understand there is no objectivity in forum writing.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
jxmhqjg

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:27:58 PM

NEM: the 2015 King - best developers- best innovation - best vision - best community

[/quote]
+1000。 support!   Cheesy Cheesy

NEM is the future
utopianfuture (OP)

Internet of Value

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:30:44 PM

PS.  You asked for "knowledgeable" and well...... that probably isn't me, I am a newbie, but I thought I would give it a go. hahaha

Disclaimer: comments are with guaranteed objectivity as long as you understand there is no objectivity in forum writing.

It is supposed to be an exaggerated joke that can hold a certain percentage of truth.

Smiley

Disregard the troll but the key point is that I and NEM has no inferior complex toward NXT, Ethererum, Bitshare etc.  

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:32:42 PM

I was advised by my cousin that told me how to get signed up for this NEM currency that I should go online and I should go on this board and that I should post in this thread if I wanted to keep my place in line for this IPO or else someone would steal it from me.  Why would this happen?

This is not an IPO. You are expected to contribute so you might not be suitable if you are new to the crypto scene.

I do mean every stakeholders are expected to contribute in building NEM. It does not necessarily mean you need to contribute something right now since you could help NEM in the future by running nodes, spreading the words etc. The key word is that stakeholders are expected to contribute at some point. If you think of it as an IPO and you are an investor, then NEM is not for you at this phase.  
In short, stakeholders = contributors. Investors = someone putting money in and expect others to do the works, coding, promoting etc. This should be made clear.

I'm still a bit confused by this statement! What should i do exactly to Contribute in NEM?

Very good question. What's the consequence for "not contributing?" And who determines what a contribution is and how it is scored?

*EDIT*

Cleared a bit in above post.

It doesn't make sense to me.  For example, I got my stake for advertising for nem on another forum.  Others had to pay for theirs.  Are you now saying the folks that had to pay also have to work for it?
TauMuon

Activity: 224

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:40:03 PM

Bitcoin: still great but the old King with new problem popping up everyday

Disclaimer: comments are with guaranteed objectivity.

ROFLMAO

you fucking scum parasite.  what a fucking joke.

You sound like a lovely person...

NEM - New Economy Movement - http://blog.nem.io/overview/ | www.reddit.com/r/nem | https://www.facebook.com/ourNEM | https://twitter.com/nemcoin
Built from the Ground up with 100% Original Code | A Second-Generation Crypto, Radically Improved over Bitcoin | Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism
TauMuon

Activity: 224

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:42:14 PM

+ POI

Where could I read more about it? I contacted utopianfuture regarding some issues related to POI but got no answer. He is not a tech guy, so I should contact a developer. Who is writing the core?

btw, has NXT whitepaper benn finally published?

Yes, isn't this the NXT whitepaper?

NEM - New Economy Movement - http://blog.nem.io/overview/ | www.reddit.com/r/nem | https://www.facebook.com/ourNEM | https://twitter.com/nemcoin
Built from the Ground up with 100% Original Code | A Second-Generation Crypto, Radically Improved over Bitcoin | Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism
utopianfuture (OP)

Internet of Value

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:49:07 PM

I was advised by my cousin that told me how to get signed up for this NEM currency that I should go online and I should go on this board and that I should post in this thread if I wanted to keep my place in line for this IPO or else someone would steal it from me.  Why would this happen?

This is not an IPO. You are expected to contribute so you might not be suitable if you are new to the crypto scene.

I'm still a bit confused by this statement! What should i do exactly to Contribute in NEM?

Very good question. What's the consequence for "not contributing?" And who determines what a contribution is and how it is scored?

*EDIT*

Cleared a bit in above post.

It doesn't make sense to me.  For example, I got my stake for advertising for nem on another forum.  Others had to pay for theirs.  Are you now saying the folks that had to pay also have to work for it?
i wouldnt see that as fair..

some people will help. others wont.. just have to live with that. i cant really do anything other then donate when i get my coins.. if you disallow someone on the basis that they cannot contribute code, marketing ect ect you could be turning away some of your biggest doners.. and also it would look very very bad...

no envy movement.

would the less skilled not envy the skilled in this situation...?

all you can do is prevent sock puppets! you should focus on that and not what the person has to bring to the table. you have thousands. if nem is good on launch i think you will see a huge amount of devs migrate to nem instead.....

I think you should read the other following clarifying posts before reply. Participation is stressed as a principle as opposed to investment. There is no paying but only sending in fee/ donation. There is no paying because it was not an IPO.

Aside from the ideological reason of what NEM is and should be, there is a legal reason as well. I don't want NEM to be considered as a security which NEM would pretty much is if there is an IPO and buying shares/ stakes during the fundraising.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securities_and_Exchange_Commission_v._W._J._Howey_Co. (the link should include the dot at the end of the sentence)

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:11:41 PM

It is supposed to be an exaggerated joke that can hold a certain percentage of truth.

Smiley

Disregard the troll but the key point is that I and NEM has no inferior complex toward NXT, Ethererum, Bitshare etc.  

That is a great list to be on to begin with.

Ethereum generated a lot of hype without actually having a product ready for the market. Most part has been controversy generated by the community itself, but it in turn brings awareness and free publicity. NEM is doing it these days. I see the name come up more and more. A BIG reason was because they went to conferences and kinda showed their faces at important events. I hope we can get to see Jaguar, you and others some day too!
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 02:14:44 PM

I am with you then.  Let's make NEM great!!!  Seriously, I am ready to go 100%

ashapasa

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:22:40 PM

I am with you then.  Let's make NEM great!!!  Seriously, I am ready to go 100%

Yes me too  Cheesy .
ShawnLeary

Activity: 518
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:22:57 PM

Ethereum is doing an excellent job of pre marketing and promotion, something we should try and execute as best we can with our limited initial backing.   Just look at that site, the blog entries, the integrated forum, the meet-ups, it's all very well done.  They will definitely be getting some of my BTC (if they allow us yanks to participate) but also hope NEM will be there to stand toe to toe with them as well.  

"We have the power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine
ashapasa

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:34:08 PM

Its funny how my mind makes pictures of people just out of forum names  Grin

Utopian Future : my minds creates a  picture of a thirty something white guy with a ponytail and french beard  Huh
Pat : a lanky German with spectacle and sandy hair
Jaguar : I automatically imagine a bare chested man with a leopard head  Grin

Did I get it right lol
sjarkara

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:50:14 PM

Its funny how my mind makes pictures of people just out of forum names  Grin

Utopian Future : my minds creates a  picture of a thirty something white guy with a ponytail and french beard  Huh
Jaguar : I automatically imagine a bare chested man with a leopard head  Grin

Did I get it right lol

french beard. I had to look it up. I dont think he has the time right now for that kind of trimming.
ShawnLeary

Activity: 518
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:55:18 PM

Its funny how my mind makes pictures of people just out of forum names  Grin

Utopian Future : my minds creates a  picture of a thirty something white guy with a ponytail and french beard  Huh
Jaguar : I automatically imagine a bare chested man with a leopard head  Grin

Did I get it right lol

I do the same thing! I think of Utopianfuture as some landscape in a 1930's scifi future, mixed in with the Wizard of Oz's emerald green fields surrounding the city.

"We have the power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine
rohan1

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:55:08 PM

Impressive NEM development guys great job and community passion, it will be great honor can be  member of this community.
Pages: « 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 ... 484 »
  Print  

Jump to: