Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:32:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 416 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Litecoin - a lite version of Bitcoin. Launched!  (Read 1466332 times)
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 06:25:59 PM

rendered with povray
If you have enough cycles left in spite of the miners Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 06:28:55 PM

I'm working on a logo, should be ready soon.

Will be modeled after a actual philharmonic silver coin, rendered with povray + future possibility of a webgl model Smiley
The basic coin dimensions are in, working on a import for the ubuntu font...
Oooh! Sounds exciting! Can't wait.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 06:48:14 PM

rendered with povray
If you have enough cycles left in spite of the miners Wink
Well my machine hasn't generated anything in the last 24 hours or so anymore so and firefox probably consumes more cpu while I"m writing this than raytracing a simple scene  Smiley

Difficulty seems almost to high for a simple quadcore machine now...  Shocked
wannaBhacker

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:05:13 PM

Is it possible to be able to update the states every couple minutes instead of 15mins?

I just changed it to update every 5 minutes. The hash rate was about 4 times more than it should be for stats, that's been fixed. Let me know if you seen any issues.
THCGroup

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 07:12:58 PM

Is it possible to be able to update the states every couple minutes instead of 15mins?

I just changed it to update every 5 minutes. The hash rate was about 4 times more than it should be for stats, that's been fixed. Let me know if you seen any issues.

Thanks
coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:13:46 PM

If anyone else want to give it a try, post your logo to this thread.

Not a logo, but a tribute.
Thanks for creating LiteCoin.

That's very cool. Thanks!

coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:21:34 PM

I have a design concept in mind, and would completely split the bounty if someone takes this idea and cleans it up.    Since the design of this currency is in a digital medium, I wonder if it was possible to have the coin itself by design be somewhat opaque.  Any system that is able to run litecoin most likely supports and image format that can be see through.  So the coin will have a silver hue and be able to see an L lightly, but the overall color would change based on where it is seen.  Default would be white silver.  In doing this design the coin can in fact be 'lite' even in a digital medium.

See it on black here http://imgur.com/7tVXn

ubuntu font here http://font.ubuntu.com/

litecoin.psd file here with a few background colors as well as you can see what levels of opacity I chose, because I did toy around with that http://www.mediafire.com/?01mwqdiyv01f8o3  

Again, I am not good at getting the circle design done, I think you can see I just pulled a blank coin from google images search.   Also, if someone wants to run with this concept, my final look I think needs cleaned up, but I was going with as minimalist of a design as possible, so no frills were intended with the original concept, just in case someone takes this and runs with it.

Nice! Looks nice and "lite". Keep them coming!

localhost

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:25:04 PM

Well, 10k blocks / 500k coins in the first day and a half of existence. Fails just as much as SC2 in that respect... Did I tell you starting diff was too low? Yes. Did you listen? Barely. Did you take action? Nope. Good job. I'll just sit on my tiny stash and see if this can eventually be worth a cent of 2...

PS: I think anyone willing to create yet another fork should meditate on, say, the first 15 lines of this: http://btcserv.net/bitcoin/history/

-
coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:26:12 PM

If you have a pool, please PM a link and I will put it on the first post.

freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:33:42 PM

This thread is getting too long.
Let's create more specific threads now that we are sure that LiteCoin is here to stay.
coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:37:09 PM

Well, 10k blocks / 500k coins in the first day and a half of existence. Fails just as much as SC2 in that respect... Did I tell you starting diff was too low? Yes. Did you listen? Barely. Did you take action? Nope. Good job. I'll just sit on my tiny stash and see if this can eventually be worth a cent of 2...

PS: I think anyone willing to create yet another fork should meditate on, say, the first 15 lines of this: http://btcserv.net/bitcoin/history/

You will NEVER be able to do that anymore. The reason why bitcoin stayed at difficulty 1 is because only Satoshi and friends mined those first thirty thousand blocks. Yes, it was public, but only a handful of people were playing around with it for fun. These days, you cannot launch a new coin without thousands of people mining it all at once. If you set the difficulty such that it matches exactly the network hashrate you expect, people won't mine your coin and it won't take off. Most people aren't mining a new coin just for fun. So starting at a lower difficulty gets people excited and interested in this coin. You need a community and support in order to launch a successful coin.

By block 12096, the difficulty should match up with the hashrate. I'd say that's a fairly successful launch. If you don't agree, you should launch your own coin at a high difficulty and only mine it with your buddies for a year and then see how well that goes.

coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:41:31 PM

This thread is getting too long.
Let's create more specific threads now that we are sure that LiteCoin is here to stay.

If there's something specific to say sure. One thing I'd like to ask people to do is to only refer it as Litecoin.
LiteCoin looks as bad as BitCoin to me. :p

Litecoin - the name of the coin - "Have you heard of Litecoin?"
litecoins - actual coins - "How many litecoins do you have?"
LTC - the short code for the currency - "I sent you 100 LTC"

Got it? Smiley

EDIT: I guess I'm a bit anal like that.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:55:43 PM

Same for me here, Litecoin runs great in some machines and totally cannot be connected in others even though the ports were opened.  I seemed to have seen from a forumer that he added some nodes but still trying to find out the correct way.  It is wasted that some can mine while others remain idle because of the weird connection issue.

I tried to port forward the ports 9332 and 9333 through the ZyXel router, but since it has a limit of ten port forwarding settings for some reason, I tried to delete one and instead of deleting it, it gives an error. Installed a firmware that's three years newer, and instead of fixing the problem it introduces yet another issue. At this point I got a glorious message informing me I found a block and yet, after 5 minutes, I got nothing.

Yeah, this sucks. Tongue

I hope to have this solved in my fork of Litecoin. I fixed the pre-seed lists. If you'd like, you can grab it from my repository here: https://github.com/terrytibbs/litecoin

But then again, I'm a SCAMMER, so you might just want to wait for coblee to approve my pull request.

Considering the scammer tag is handed out here almost as often as paypal freezes funds (and for equally loose reasoning) I personally don't put much stock in it.
Firstly, if you wish to continue this discussion, do it here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47551
or in one of the related threads on the subject.

However, since you both bring this up in this thread then all you are doing is bringing that discussion here.
Since you both are making pro scammer comments, I will make some anti-scammer comments.

If you sell something and people lose the product or money, then either you pay them back or you are a scammer.
Based on that, yes you are a scammer. Simple as that. Blaming someone else is even worse.

I live in Aus and we have laws against doing what you did - other countries don't.
If you sell something, it is your problem if there is something wrong with it, not the buyers problem.

If you don't like that, then don't sell stuff.

You make profit, you risk losing that profit and your investment in trying to make a profit.
Very standard economics.

I get the impression this is a case of you not understanding what you were doing and expecting the problem to be "someone else's problem" when
things went wrong.
That isn't how it works. That isn't an excuse for any other people losing anything at all from their transactions with you.

Continue the discussion elsewhere.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 08:05:39 PM

Same for me here, Litecoin runs great in some machines and totally cannot be connected in others even though the ports were opened.  I seemed to have seen from a forumer that he added some nodes but still trying to find out the correct way.  It is wasted that some can mine while others remain idle because of the weird connection issue.

I tried to port forward the ports 9332 and 9333 through the ZyXel router, but since it has a limit of ten port forwarding settings for some reason, I tried to delete one and instead of deleting it, it gives an error. Installed a firmware that's three years newer, and instead of fixing the problem it introduces yet another issue. At this point I got a glorious message informing me I found a block and yet, after 5 minutes, I got nothing.

Yeah, this sucks. Tongue

I hope to have this solved in my fork of Litecoin. I fixed the pre-seed lists. If you'd like, you can grab it from my repository here: https://github.com/terrytibbs/litecoin

But then again, I'm a SCAMMER, so you might just want to wait for coblee to approve my pull request.

Considering the scammer tag is handed out here almost as often as paypal freezes funds (and for equally loose reasoning) I personally don't put much stock in it.
Firstly, if you wish to continue this discussion, do it here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47551
or in one of the related threads on the subject.

However, since you both bring this up in this thread then all you are doing is bringing that discussion here.
Since you both are making pro scammer comments, I will make some anti-scammer comments.

If you sell something and people lose the product or money, then either you pay them back or you are a scammer.
Based on that, yes you are a scammer. Simple as that. Blaming someone else is even worse.

I live in Aus and we have laws against doing what you did - other countries don't.
If you sell something, it is your problem if there is something wrong with it, not the buyers problem.

If you don't like that, then don't sell stuff.

You make profit, you risk losing that profit and your investment in trying to make a profit.
Very standard economics.

I get the impression this is a case of you not understanding what you were doing and expecting the problem to be "someone else's problem" when
things went wrong.
That isn't how it works. That isn't an excuse for any other people losing anything at all from their transactions with you.

Continue the discussion elsewhere.
He received his product only to have his and others' accounts disabled because of circumstances out of my control. End of story. If you want to flame me, start a new thread or PM me. This is not the appropriate venue.
acostanza

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 11:44:24 PM

PM your LTC address and username and I'll send you back the pools 5%. A failing beta version doesn't deserve it ATM.

Failing? Looks like success from here. Props for the legwork on getting the pool running. My measly 6 cores (Goldie) don't eve show up now, but no worries. Vultures gonna eat every time, so get your cut, and keep my 5%.
wannaBhacker

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 11:51:13 PM

PM your LTC address and username and I'll send you back the pools 5%. A failing beta version doesn't deserve it ATM.

Failing? Looks like success from here. Props for the legwork on getting the pool running. My measly 6 cores (Goldie) don't eve show up now, but no worries. Vultures gonna eat every time, so get your cut, and keep my 5%.

Old quote son. I've got a pool thread over here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48192.20 For those first blocks, I'll still refund the 5%. It is working good now. Hop back over and check it out now. We have have over an 1/6th of the network on the pool.
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 11:52:18 PM

Yes, since I started on your pool (just a few hours ago), I've already mined ~20 LTC.

This is after only one block solo mining for ~24hrs

Great pool!

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 01:13:13 AM

Fire up those LTC Miners, Cryptoxchange.com will open with a BTC/NMC and LTC exchange with 140 outbound currencies. The merged mined BTC/NMC and LTC are the only traded crypto-currencies. Solidcoin was rejected for the same issues we all have with it.
FBX?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 03:28:30 AM
Last edit: October 15, 2011, 07:05:00 AM by ElectricMucus

Progress on the logo, after messing several hours with freetype_py to get the ubuntu font in I gave up and made it on my gentoo laptop, and finished the openscad script (I know I could have done it straight in povray but I'm not too prominent in that, that will follow later but we can have actual 3d printed litecoins with openscad Smiley )

They are modeled after one of my silver philharmonics, with the dimensions and margins identical.

At first should the letter L be smaller? bigger?

Then I played with different silver materials these turned out to look the best so far, but I'm unsure on what should be chosen finally.
So...

(thumbnail link)

Which litecoin would you choose?  Grin
(Don't mind the lightning, just judge the colors this is just a test scene the actual logo will have custom lightning to correspond to other coin logos already there so the profile will be visible independent of the texture)
So how shiny and bright do you want your litecoin?
Any other suggestions welcome Smiley
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 07:32:58 AM

Progress on the logo, after messing several hours with freetype_py to get the ubuntu font in I gave up and made it on my gentoo laptop, and finished the openscad script (I know I could have done it straight in povray but I'm not too prominent in that, that will follow later but we can have actual 3d printed litecoins with openscad Smiley )

They are modeled after one of my silver philharmonics, with the dimensions and margins identical.

At first should the letter L be smaller? bigger?

Then I played with different silver materials these turned out to look the best so far, but I'm unsure on what should be chosen finally.
So...

(thumbnail link)

Which litecoin would you choose?  Grin
(Don't mind the lightning, just judge the colors this is just a test scene the actual logo will have custom lightning to correspond to other coin logos already there so the profile will be visible independent of the texture)
So how shiny and bright do you want your litecoin?
Any other suggestions welcome Smiley

My preference is the 3rd from left, the front one.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 416 »
  Print  

Jump to: