Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 11:39:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 579 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or gold?  (Read 984414 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 10:36:46 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2015, 07:13:11 PM by Amph

personally if i had 1M i would retire and close all this shit all together

Hmm... if you are in your 60s, or 70s, then I think it'll be OK if you retire. But on the other hand, if you are in your 30s, then it will be a very bad idea. With the current rate of inflation, your savings will be gone in 25 or 30 years time, and by the time you reach 60 years of age, you'll be left penniless and broke.

i don't think so, it depend on much you spend, honestly, for example i'm not spending more than 5k euro per year, this mean that 1M is more than enough to retire for me

i can live for 200 years without doing nothing, yeah you need to consider any issues that may arise in the course of your life, but still i have a big margin, and surely i don't need to live for 200 years lol

obviously i'm not taking in consideration the need to buy an house
JamesCB

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 03:06:12 PM

I' do both, but take bitcoin over gold simply because I'm a pyschic and I see that in 10 years, Bitcoin would be worth 100million each.

I think that's a little overestimated amount.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 03:09:07 PM

I' do both, but take bitcoin over gold simply because I'm a pyschic and I see that in 10 years, Bitcoin would be worth 100million each.

I think that's a little overestimated amount.

He's a psychic on the internet. What further proof do you need? Sheesh.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 03:43:46 PM

i don't think so, it depend on much you spend, honestly, for example i'm not spending more than 5k euro per year, this mean that 1M is more then enough to retire for me

i can live for 200 years without doing nothing, yeah you need to consider any issues that may arise in the course of your life, but still i have a big margin, and surely i don't need to live for 200 years lol

You are still not considering the effect of inflation.

For example, the purchasing power of the US Dollar has declined by an average of 3.1% per year, during the 1900-2015 period. So if you are having $1 million with you, you will be able to survive for some 60 years more. If you are 25 years old now, you will be able to survive for up to 85 years (considering that you are spending some $6,000 per year now). But can you live comfortably on $6,000 per year, after paying the wealth and property tax?

GiocareHost

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 04:45:22 PM

Of course Gold.
Bitcoin will be dead in the next 10 years(Damn those Chinese banks!).
gripflierGO

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 04:58:02 PM

Of course Gold.
Bitcoin will be dead in the next 10 years(Damn those Chinese banks!).

Gold would be always better option over the bitcoin as bitcoin is very new to the people as so many of them are not aware about the bitcoin and they will not take risk by investing in something that they really don't know So they would choose gold rather than going for a risky investment.
dominicg

Activity: 166

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 05:25:34 PM

I will choose Bitcoin. This is the currency here to stay for a long long time. Surely, in a year or two it will establish itself in the e-commerce market and then you will be able to buy from bitcoins, which you cannot do it by keeping gold.

Bitcoin and gold are having different functions, and therefore I don't know whether we can compare both of them. Bitcoin is a currency, which should be used for day-to-day expenses. On the other hand, gold is an investment asset, for which the main function is the protection of wealth. (That said, Bitcoin can be used for protecting the wealth as well, but it is it's secondary function).

Well gold has been used for day-to-day bargains. It is still being functioned as the same in some countries. But soon the gold-mines will get exhausted and most of the gold we will see will be either in government banks or in computers. But bitcoin or a crytocurrecy will stay.

jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1506

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2015, 05:54:06 PM

I will choose Bitcoin. This is the currency here to stay for a long long time. Surely, in a year or two it will establish itself in the e-commerce market and then you will be able to buy from bitcoins, which you cannot do it by keeping gold.

Bitcoin and gold are having different functions, and therefore I don't know whether we can compare both of them. Bitcoin is a currency, which should be used for day-to-day expenses. On the other hand, gold is an investment asset, for which the main function is the protection of wealth. (That said, Bitcoin can be used for protecting the wealth as well, but it is it's secondary function).

Well gold has been used for day-to-day bargains. It is still being functioned as the same in some countries. But soon the gold-mines will get exhausted and most of the gold we will see will be either in government banks or in computers. But bitcoin or a crytocurrecy will stay.

So, if in future there is no any gold-mining more, I think the price will go higher and the gold handler can be rich immediately. There are some factors that can affect btc price, and we don't know whether in future the price will raise or drop because of the factors.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
rayhan

Activity: 378

be your self

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 05:58:53 PM

So, if in future there is no any gold-mining more, I think the price will go higher and the gold handler can be rich immediately. There are some factors that can affect btc price, and we don't know whether in future the price will raise or drop because of the factors.

Or it might go in reversal. Due to lack of gold, governments might scrap it totally and make it worthless. On the other hand, because of the factors affecting the bitcoin prices, governments might accept it completely and bring them in the mainstream economy.

jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1506

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2015, 06:21:29 PM

Or it might go in reversal. Due to lack of gold, governments might scrap it totally and make it worthless. On the other hand, because of the factors affecting the bitcoin prices, governments might accept it completely and bring them in the mainstream economy.

Yeah, if the government can scrap the gold, so they can do that to bitcoin too if they get controlling about it. That's why the bitcoin can't cooperate with government since it decentralized.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1414

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2015, 07:08:54 PM

Due to this volatililty , your statement is true. However on another note, BTC could be an investment asset as well if there is a more stable price for the market also that in term of security , it is much more easier to secure your own BTC than securing your gold .

So, if in future there is no any gold-mining more, I think the price will go higher and the gold handler can be rich immediately.

Basic law of Economic, yes only if there is a demand for gold otherwise no the price will still be the same

There are some factors that can affect btc price, and we don't know whether in future the price will raise or drop because of the factors.

Consider BTC as a goods then you could apply economic law as well, Demands and supply. That would be the factor to consider (theorethically) however there are more things to consider as well, basically halving could be a factor that may help the price to raise or to plummet down

Due to lack of gold, governments might scrap it totally and make it worthless.

This is complete nonsense. Basically no one would do this as it serves no purposes . It is completely nonsense that someone would make something that valuable into a worthless piece of metal . Also with basic economics law, lower supply and higher demands will drive the price to be higher instead

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 07:16:25 PM

i don't think so, it depend on much you spend, honestly, for example i'm not spending more than 5k euro per year, this mean that 1M is more then enough to retire for me

You are still not considering the effect of inflation.

For example, the purchasing power of the US Dollar has declined by an average of 3.1% per year, during the 1900-2015 period. So if you are having $1 million with you, you will be able to survive for some 60 years more. If you are 25 years old now, you will be able to survive for up to 85 years (considering that you are spending some $6,000 per year now). But can you live comfortably on $6,000 per year, after paying the wealth and property tax?

-snip-

yes i can, but only because i don't have a family to sustain(and i'm not so stupid to build one)

if you are alone, you can live with 5k per year without any problem(taxes included)

the problem about inflation is true, but i can always invest in something that do not have this problem, like for example..bitcoin, gold could also be a good investments, basically everything that do not lose value because it is printed out of thin air
torrentheaven

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 07:19:32 PM

Due to this volatililty , your statement is true. However on another note, BTC could be an investment asset as well if there is a more stable price for the market also that in term of security , it is much more easier to secure your own BTC than securing your gold .

So, if in future there is no any gold-mining more, I think the price will go higher and the gold handler can be rich immediately.

Basic law of Economic, yes only if there is a demand for gold otherwise no the price will still be the same

There are some factors that can affect btc price, and we don't know whether in future the price will raise or drop because of the factors.

Consider BTC as a goods then you could apply economic law as well, Demands and supply. That would be the factor to consider (theorethically) however there are more things to consider as well, basically halving could be a factor that may help the price to raise or to plummet down

Due to lack of gold, governments might scrap it totally and make it worthless.

This is complete nonsense. Basically no one would do this as it serves no purposes . It is completely nonsense that someone would make something that valuable into a worthless piece of metal . Also with basic economics law, lower supply and higher demands will drive the price to be higher instead

Yes and both the products don't guarantee you the 100% success rate as the nature of both is volatile and no one can be sure that which product would be more profitable in future. It is just like Wait N Watch.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 10:08:26 PM

Bitcoin is backed by the same thing that backs gold:  A group of people willing to buy it at various price points and another group willing to sell it.  Also known as supply and demand.

Plus mining expenses / energy expenses.

(fiat currency has near zero "mining" expenses)

As a side note

Indeed it doesn't take much for banks to create new money, but you shouldn't forget that bitcoin mining expenses are the same expenses that are required to keep the network going while to keep the fiat flowing you need a lot more than just that...

Yes, actually you need to suppress gold, silver and bitcoin, manipulate the stock markets, interest rates, FOREX and wage wars against those that want to doubt fiat money Grin

cjrosero

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

To God Be The Glory!

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 10:34:04 PM

Gold Still Gold Gold has a high value and can store it physically while bitcoin when there is no electric running to it it wont work you dont have bitcoin . . That is why choose GOld!
umaOuma

Activity: 938

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 11:40:14 PM

Gold Still Gold Gold has a high value and can store it physically while bitcoin when there is no electric running to it it wont work you dont have bitcoin . . That is why choose GOld!

Both are good tool for investments and but need to diversify the investments part in bitcoin and part in gold as you never know about the future so either any one of them would prove to be an profitable investment in future.
techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 12:34:41 AM

in my eyes, I dont think it acts like gold.

Yes, its value is rare and all that and hedged against fiat. But to me it acts more of a money transmitter then anything else.

Similar to moneygram etc.

lissandra

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:57:36 AM

in my eyes, I dont think it acts like gold.

Yes, its value is rare and all that and hedged against fiat. But to me it acts more of a money transmitter then anything else.

Similar to moneygram etc.

You may not seem like it acts gold, but most people already see it that way.  Cheesy I think for your comments on being a moneytransmitter is like a 50/50 if the demand is there more for moving money, but theres no source that shows that.

Btree

Activity: 140

bitcoin é uma árvore que vai continuar a crescer

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:59:25 AM

Gold is better than Bitcoin
we can see we can hold it with our hands and real Smiley

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 02:02:20 AM

yes i can, but only because i don't have a family to sustain(and i'm not so stupid to build one)

if you are alone, you can live with 5k per year without any problem(taxes included)

the problem about inflation is true, but i can always invest in something that do not have this problem, like for example..bitcoin, gold could also be a good investments, basically everything that do not lose value because it is printed out of thin air

Investing in Gold might be OK, as the supply is more or less limited. However, investing in Bitcoin might create problems, if it is replaced by some other crypto-currency later. If that happens, you might lose all of your savings. It will be better to invest no more than 10% of the net wealth in High-risk investments such as Bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 579 »
  Print  

Jump to: