Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 10:19:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 222 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 355599 times)
edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:28:45 AM

Both good posts, and i appreciate the info regarding other suppliers/manufacturers.

S1's are ok, if a bit variable - i have 3-4 different modles and they all behave ever so slightly differently.

now my S2 is running i really like it. Bitmain has claimed he will send a replacement PSU tomorrow 'powerful enough for an S2'

but in all frankness, NONE of these rigs are going to make anyone 'much' of a profit, even if they DO ship from stock immediately.

those days are gone, and the very few who did well back then must be in hysterics watching us muppets chasing chump change.

let us not all devour each other & hope for the best.

I remain on the fence wrt spondoolies, with much interest - but who wouldn't love 5TH right now??

10TH today are needed for 'just' 1BTC per day...

August is a couple of lifetimes away wrt looming difficulty & my breakers are almost fkn glowing!
Collider

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:44:22 AM

For what it´s worth, you can get 1th bitmine clones delivered within 3 days for 2400 to 2500, same power efficiency as S2.

Did you guys receive them just now? "shipping before 10th April...."?

If so, the pricetag wasn´t justified at all....
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:50:37 AM

For what it´s worth, you can get 1th bitmine clones delivered within 3 days for 2400 to 2500, same power efficiency as S2.

Did you guys receive them just now? "shipping before 10th April...."?

If so, the pricetag wasn´t justified at all....

Mine sort-of "shipped" on the 10th and I received it on the 15th. It was hashing within an hour.

BTW, the pricetag in BTC depended a lot on when you ordered it, because the BTC exchange rate was dropping pretty fast during the sales period and the sales price was fixed in dollars. I ordered early and paid 5.6 BTC. Later orders paid a lot more.

raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:52:36 AM

Both good posts, and i appreciate the info regarding other suppliers/manufacturers.

S1's are ok, if a bit variable - i have 3-4 different modles and they all behave ever so slightly differently.

now my S2 is running i really like it. Bitmain has claimed he will send a replacement PSU tomorrow 'powerful enough for an S2'

but in all frankness, NONE of these rigs are going to make anyone 'much' of a profit, even if they DO ship from stock immediately.

those days are gone, and the very few who did well back then must be in hysterics watching us muppets chasing chump change.

I remain on the fence wrt spondoolies, with much interest - but who wouldn't love 5TH right now??

August is a couple of lifetimes away wrt looming difficulty & my breakers are almost fkn glowing!

i'm shifting everything from the office room into my old man's garage today, i guess part of the fun is drilling holes in walls, setting up rig space and configuring stuff, but we all know that mining has moved to a different fork (see what I did there?) altogether now but I don't mind staying part of the game... i rant on about it being just a hobby but when these rigs are draining way to much power than is feasible in a short term environment, i know it's time to switch off. i've a box-full of 130nm that i intend to keep, just to heat different parts of my home in the winter-time - gets bloody cold here. good thing is my mum has now caught the bug and wants to start mining (we did a 3-way split on a babyjet+upgrade last year - still to be delivered/refunded/acknowledgement that we even exist), so while i'm moving stuff today, i'll probably get her to click my referral links and bump up the TH/s's  Grin what the heck - i'll pay her my referral fees to cover her first few month electric. If i can get my dad interested, we could just fill the garage with rigging (ahem- from a range of hardware manufacturers)

Undecided

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
tzortz

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:57:40 AM

i'm shifting everything from the office room into my old man's garage today, i guess part of the fun is drilling holes in walls, setting up rig space and configuring stuff, but we all know that mining has moved to a different fork (see what I did there?) altogether now but I don't mind staying part of the game... i rant on about it being just a hobby but when these rigs are draining way to much power than is feasible in a short term environment, i know it's time to switch off. i've a box-full of 130nm that i intend to keep, just to heat different parts of my home in the winter-time - gets bloody cold here. good thing is my mum has now caught the bug and wants to start mining (we did a 3-way split on a babyjet+upgrade last year - still to be delivered/refunded/acknowledgement that we even exist), so while i'm moving stuff today, i'll probably get her to click my referral links and bump up the TH/s's  Grin what the heck - i'll pay her my referral fees to cover her first few month electric. If i can get my dad interested, we could just fill the garage with rigging (ahem- from a range of hardware manufacturers)

Undecided

Skoda, lada...?

Are you in Balkans somewhere?

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
faustus66

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:11:15 AM

Hi,

Is anyone having issues accessing S2 units through a VPN?

I have two installations behind two different VPNs and cannot access any S2. Other machines behind the VPN are accessible and the machines are accessible when I am directly connected to the network. These are batch 1 and batch 2 machines.

Cheers
edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:22:48 AM

labeled for shipping on the 10th but didnt actually begin shipping until the 13th, arrived on the 17th & took just over a day to sort out the few issues.

over-priced & poor logistics & dying/dead PSU & dodgy internal ether 'pigtail' all add up to yet another sub-par delivery that could easily have shipped from stock and there was NO NEED for claiming it would ship by the 10th other than to justify the price tag.

Especially when there is already a 3rd incarnation of the rig (with the PSU inlet facing the outside with a nice big hole in the side) unlike mine which has the PSU hanging out the arse like a grotty hemorrhoid.

Still wondering why i can only access certain areas of the GUI while mining.... Miner Config & Miner Status remain unattainable.
toxic1978

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:18:52 PM

* * *UK Customs charge = £145 * * * (Cheaper than expected)

1. Unpacked my S2, removed cover, reseated all cards most of which had disengaged from there ports.

2. Using my own power cable plugged unit in.

3. Connected unit to router.

4. Powered unit on.

5. No display showing.

6. Checked ribbon cable, main control card loose still. Reseated.

7. Switched unit back on.

8. Display now shows current IP address e.c.t

9. Configured miner pools as required.

10. All Ok.

11. 4 days later, temp never exceeded 51 degrees.
     4 day average @ 1030GH/S

Total setup time: 30 minutes.
Downtime in 96 hours: 0 minutes.

So all good in my S2 experience so far!

My PSU is pulling around 920Watts from the wall.

ElGabo

Activity: 635

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:34:31 PM

Undecided

Skoda, lada...?

In Europe.  Wink

" I'm waiting for my punishment, I know it's on my way
  So cut, cut, cut me up and fuck, fuck, fuck me up"
tzortz

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:17:11 PM

Undecided

Skoda, lada...?

In Europe.  Wink

You have to know DACIA too then.

Wink

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
ElGabo

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 03:57:03 PM

Undecided

Skoda, lada...?

In Europe.  Wink

You have to know DACIA too then.

Wink

Yeah sure!  Wink

ElGabo

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 03:58:12 PM

trabant

Trabant? Really?

What about Wartburg?  Grin

mattie

Activity: 23
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:00:14 PM

My recommendation.. DON'T power off your miner once it's running.
Damn thing gives you headaches to get it working again once powered off.
This is mainly because all transistors need to be clear of any power that's left through the system.
Even my platimax PSU had issues it needed clearing of the remaining power left in the capacitors  to get it working again.
It's really a shame they designed the power in such way and not connect the power to the board directly so the board would regulate the power and capacitors.
It cost me another hour to get things working again only to find the miner turn off again, so swapping modules around again to get things working.
With this I need to wait and wait for all power to drain from the power from the machine and try again  Cry
This happened when I tried to tune the miner with frequency setting 250, so my guess is tuning this system will only take more of your mining time then you want.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 10:15:14 PM

My recommendation.. DON'T power off your miner once it's running.
Damn thing gives you headaches to get it working again once powered off.
This is mainly because all transistors need to be clear of any power that's left through the system.
Even my platimax PSU had issues it needed clearing of the remaining power left in the capacitors  to get it working again.
It's really a shame they designed the power in such way and not connect the power to the board directly so the board would regulate the power and capacitors.
It cost me another hour to get things working again only to find the miner turn off again, so swapping modules around again to get things working.
With this I need to wait and wait for all power to drain from the power from the machine and try again  Cry
This happened when I tried to tune the miner with frequency setting 250, so my guess is tuning this system will only take more of your mining time then you want.

that would not be a good idea - PSU manufacturers have decades of experience in designing high-efficiency components. if bitmain atempted its own 120/12V regulators it would almost certianly result in efficiency well under 80% (try 60-70%)

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
whonesta

Activity: 379

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:33:19 PM

Hi,

I have two installations behind two different VPNs and cannot access any S2. Other machines behind the VPN are accessible and the machines are accessible when I am directly connected to the network. These are batch 1 and batch 2 machines.

Cheers

I have NO issues accessing my batch 2's thru the VPN.
faustus66

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 01:40:52 AM

Hi,

Cheers

I have NO issues accessing my batch 2's thru the VPN.

Thanks, now I know it's something I can try to rectify, appreciate it.

Cheers
faustus66

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 02:24:48 AM

Come back from easter break to find one machine completely unresponsive. I've isolated the PSU, given it an hour or so with no power, checked the paper clip short, still no luck. I seem to remember someone saying to drain the PSU you short the two power pins out, still nothing.

I have a Corsair CX750M and a FSP 750 Gold, can I just plug these into the PCI-e power sockets and combine them or does it just not work that way?

Another machine was running at 50% hashing with lots of x hardware errors but a shutdown has that back up and running stable.
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 02:38:25 AM

After having no setup issues and running great for the last couple of weeks, I woke up this morning to find my batch 1 AntMiner S2 not hashing, fans going full speed, panel dim and the red light solid. Recalling that others here have had the same issue, I went back and skimmed over the previous posts and found that the likely issue was probably a corrupt SD card. That was indeed the case, as I am now back up and running, and I figure the problem started when a brief power outage occurred here this morning. Thought I would briefly summarize what I did to recover, which may be of special interest to those folks using a Mac to write to their SD cards:

- ran to the store and bought a 4gb Sandisk microSD card. They didn't have any class 10 cards, only class 4, but it seems to work (ordered a couple class 10s from Amazon for backup).
- Downloaded onto my MacBook the latest firmware from the bitmaintech website, as well as the SD card image from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16075357/bitmain.img.zip (thanks 1l1l11ll1l)
- put the new microSD card in the adapter, shoved it into my MacBook, read through the guide at http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup, and then ran these commands in Terminal:
   cd Desktop (my bitmain.img was on the desktop)
   diskutil list (to find the disk name of SD card, mine was disk2, so replace disk2 below with what yours is)
   diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
   sudo dd bs=1m if=bitmain.img of=/dev/disk2 (this took 30 minutes to complete)
- once SD card was ready, I opened up the AntMiner, pulled out the BeagleBone card, swapped SD cards and reassembled
- powered up, and it started hashing again. Connected to the miner from the browser, uploaded the latest firmware, changed to point to my pool, and everything was golden.

Much thanks to all of previous posters that talked about this issue, as your help got me back up in hours as opposed to days.

Glad to help!

ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:03:05 AM

Come back from easter break to find one machine completely unresponsive. I've isolated the PSU, given it an hour or so with no power, checked the paper clip short, still no luck. I seem to remember someone saying to drain the PSU you short the two power pins out, still nothing.

I have a Corsair CX750M and a FSP 750 Gold, can I just plug these into the PCI-e power sockets and combine them or does it just not work that way?

Another machine was running at 50% hashing with lots of x hardware errors but a shutdown has that back up and running stable.

Still waiting to hear positive confirmation from the Bitmain engineer/s regarding 2x 700-750w PSUs.

2 x 650/750W server style PSU should be ideal...even redundant...and cheaper too...IMHO...

But this is their product/design...
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:52:11 AM

Still waiting to hear positive confirmation from the Bitmain engineer/s regarding 2x 700-750w PSUs.

2 x 650/750W server style PSU should be ideal...even redundant...and cheaper too...IMHO...

But this is their product/design...

Its not redundant unless the device can run with one PSU working. That would be 2x 1000W+

Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 222 »
  Print  

Jump to: