Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:40:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262671 times)
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:42:16 PM

I can't say I agree with one of the decisions made here regarding funding a video project, but I am not against participating as a whole.

I am a member of a network of animal shelters in South Korea and had been considering doing something with them related to bitcoin for quite some time now. I have rescued 3 dogs in the past four months including (2) Jindos and (1) Husky. Is there any stipulation in the Bitcoin 100 that would prevent animal shelters from receiving donations?

Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:27:28 AM

Great idea, I didn't realize we had a group like this in our community. I would like to make a donation, is this group still active?

I have also persuaded The Fessler Foundation to begin accepting bitcoin donations. The Fessler Foundation funds research in new treatments and technology for individuals with spinal cord injuries. More info here:Bitcointalk Forum Post

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
gramma

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 04:14:09 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2013, 06:54:03 PM by gramma

There's a charity that I might be able to talk into accepting bitcoins, one of the few remaining opera companies left in this area that is accessible to up-and-coming singers and to the community by engaging families, and especially kids, in their productions, AND offers Met-calibre training to the cast at no cost to them. Some of their singers and most(?) of their coaches/music director have performed at the Met and other places at that level. I've only recently gotten involved with them, and they have such passion, and yet such money woes. When they cast an aspiring singer, they provide hours upon hours of free coaching and training, something that just does not happen anywhere else. It's frankly not on the scale of saving lives like some of the other organizations mentioned in the thread.  But it does bring joy to a lot of people, and has for about a quarter of a century. With all that history, though, it's in danger of dying soon, and this grant would make a huge difference to their bottom line.

I don't know that I can convince their Board of Directors to get involved with this newfangled idea.  But if it might be judged to be an acceptable NPO here, I will give it my best.

BTC: 1MrNRPo7p8DEyxn87c9BCGwrbatBQeCHc1
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 06:23:12 PM

There's a charity that I might be able to talk into accepting bitcoins, one of the few remaining opera companies left in this area that is accessible to up-and-coming singers and to the community by engaging families, and especially kids, in their productions, AND offers Met-calibre training to the cast at no cost to them. Some of their singers and most(?) of their coaches/music director have performed at the Met and other places at that level. I've only recently gotten involved with them, and they have such passion, and yet such money woes. When they cast an aspiring singer, they provide hours upon hours of free coaching and training, something that just does not happen anywhere else. It's frankly not on the scale of saving lives like some of the other organizations mentioned in the thread.  But it does bring joy to a lot of people, and has for about a quarter of a century. With all that history, though, it's in danger of dying soon, and this grant would make a huge difference to their bottom line.

I don't know that I can convince the greyhairs of their Board of Directors to get involved with this newfangled idea.  But if it might be judged to be an acceptable NPO here, I will give it my best.

Link?

Still around.
gramma

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:56:00 PM

Link?

njavo.org

BTC: 1MrNRPo7p8DEyxn87c9BCGwrbatBQeCHc1
pc

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 12:54:20 AM

I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I was real interested in the Calyx Institute when they were in the news a while back, and now they've announced that they're accepting Bitcoin donations:
https://twitter.com/calyxinstitute/status/326366637995479040
https://www.calyxinstitute.org/support-us/donate-via-bitcoin

Their goal is to help make the network backbones all encrypted and care about user privacy. I think it's a pretty worthy cause.
mugdesign

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

http://thebestmug.co.uk - personalised gifts

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:20:52 PM

very nice to see, somebody actually thinking on something like this
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 01:25:36 PM

The folks that wrote this great article:  http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/15401-it-can-happen-here-the-confiscation-scheme-planned-for-us-and-uk-depositors

are a 501(c)3 nonprofit news organization.  I have already suggested to them that if they had a Bitcoin donation button I would donate a BTC or two.  Others could do the same.

I like them at first reading, however I have not researched them yet.  What does everyone else think?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
prophecynine

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:35:34 AM

I have been thinking about how to implement this idea for a long time now... It is great to see it is already being done. I think the website could use an update/redesign, though. Perhaps someone here can donate some webdesign?
A site like this relies on transparancy and trust, and the site itself doesn't scream 'trust me', although with a bit of looking around (reading this thread, etc) it sure seems legit, which is wonderful.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:20:57 PM

I have been thinking about how to implement this idea for a long time now... It is great to see it is already being done. I think the website could use an update/redesign, though. Perhaps someone here can donate some webdesign?
A site like this relies on transparancy and trust, and the site itself doesn't scream 'trust me', although with a bit of looking around (reading this thread, etc) it sure seems legit, which is wonderful.

You are right!
More transparency:
For a start, a simple list of which charity received what and when.
The beauty of Bitcoin, of course, is to show the exact donation addresses, links to blockchain.info etc, a life ticker with all donations per charity and so on. All this is pretty easy with Bitcoin, and a real gamechanger for the donationindustry! *smiles*
Besides that, I have no problem with the design itself.

Ente
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:55:43 PM

It just seems to have veered off from *charities* which was where it started - I am sorry if my post was wrong (although I don't appreciate being questioned as to whether I am "high")

Such people - just ignore them. That's usually my solution.
jamesgarfield

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:59:55 PM

In light of the news that charities may be looking at massive chargeback fees due to hackers flooding their donation pages with stolen credit cards ...

maybe the language in any Bitcoin introduction could indicate no risk of chargebacks along w/ irreversability.  "Not being reversable" might not click but a charity who just had to cut a bank a check for thousands of dollars in chargeback fees might suddenly be interested in "chargeback free" donations.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 03:35:17 PM

So... This:

Well look who showed up on the forum again after disappearing for the weekend and scaring the crap out of me. Thanks for taking care of that Bitcoin100.org problem.

I talked to a few nonprofits at the con, and I think we're going to have a couple of partners working with us. Are you still planning on doing anything at all? Or should I just take over?

I can't seem to get my heart back into the project, Rassah. For the betterment of the project, coupled with all you've done to date, now hopefully securing partners, it may be best for you to take over.

I would have loved to be part of this now that partners may be getting evolved, but at this stage I will probably be holding it back.

Please allow me to do whatever I can short of running the show, and let me know what you desire of me to make sure the transaction runs smoothly.

Feel free to post this PM on the forum in its entirety, PM'ing me when you've done so, so that I can confirm.

Bruno K.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Met a few people this weekend which are interested in working with us. Will be sending out emails and posting them here.

Quote from: Rassah
Hi Lars. Thanks for hanging out with us at the Ask an Expert table. You mentioned you wanted to work with us on the Bitcoin100 charity, and at least help out with the website. Please take a look at http://bitcoin100.org and let me know if you're willing to help us fix it. Let me know how much you would charge. Also, please let me know if there is any other way you'd like to be involved.

Also, Bitcoin100 started with the idea that we will have ~100 people pledge to give 100BTC to every charity that starts accepting Bitcoin. Since the price went up, we have changed that to $1,000 worth. We also have at times more and at times less than 100 people. So, I've had suggestions that we maybe change our name.
Opinions? Should we? If yes, any other suggestions?
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 03:54:35 PM

One of the booths at the conference was with three nonprofits, who have organized to try to get other nonprofits to accept bitcoins as well. They have never heard of us, and were very glad to hear that we exist, do the same thing they do (or try to), and have the perk that we provide (sending money). They were very interested in working together with us. Stephanie is the contact for fr33aid.com that I talked to, who interviewed me for their podcast. I sent this to her just now.

Hi Stephanie!
It was nice meeting you guys at the conference. I hope our two organizations can work well together, since we have the same goals.
Our site http://Bitcoin100.org was fixed, so you can point people to it. I believe I have someone who is willing to help fix it up for us, too. Do you know when your podcast will be available? I'd like to listen to it (hope I sounded OK).
 Also, the previous person in charge stepped down, so now I'm the CEO in charge, as well as the treasurer. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52543.msg2223880#msg2223880
Feel free to refer any questions to me.

Hope to hear from you soon.

-- Rassah
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:46:49 PM

One of the booths at the conference was with three nonprofits, who have organized to try to get other nonprofits to accept bitcoins as well. They have never heard of us, and were very glad to hear that we exist, do the same thing they do (or try to), and have the perk that we provide (sending money). They were very interested in working together with us. Stephanie is the contact for fr33aid.com that I talked to, who interviewed me for their podcast. I sent this to her just now.

Hi Stephanie!
It was nice meeting you guys at the conference. I hope our two organizations can work well together, since we have the same goals.
Our site http://Bitcoin100.org was fixed, so you can point people to it. I believe I have someone who is willing to help fix it up for us, too. Do you know when your podcast will be available? I'd like to listen to it (hope I sounded OK).
 Also, the previous person in charge stepped down, so now I'm the CEO in charge, as well as the treasurer. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52543.msg2223880#msg2223880
Feel free to refer any questions to me.

Hope to hear from you soon.

-- Rassah

Ok, that had some new info in it for me. Bruno stepped down and you inherited Bitcoin100? You are now in charge of the company direction and funds? Not that it's a bad thing - just wondering.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 06:21:30 PM

So... This:

Well look who showed up on the forum again after disappearing for the weekend and scaring the crap out of me. Thanks for taking care of that Bitcoin100.org problem.

I talked to a few nonprofits at the con, and I think we're going to have a couple of partners working with us. Are you still planning on doing anything at all? Or should I just take over?

I can't seem to get my heart back into the project, Rassah. For the betterment of the project, coupled with all you've done to date, now hopefully securing partners, it may be best for you to take over.

I would have loved to be part of this now that partners may be getting evolved, but at this stage I will probably be holding it back.

Please allow me to do whatever I can short of running the show, and let me know what you desire of me to make sure the transaction runs smoothly.

Feel free to post this PM on the forum in its entirety, PM'ing me when you've done so, so that I can confirm.

Bruno K.

I confirm the above.

Without going into too much detail, recent events had made it difficult for me to devote the full attention to Bitcoin 100 it deserves, therefore I've passed the reins to Rassah, continuing to work with Bitcoin 100 at a much lower capacity.

I don't, nor never did have any control of the funds residing in Bitcoin 100's coffer. The only two people who had/have control of all the bitcoins is Rassah, with Roger Ver holding the only other copy of the private key in case of the proverbial hit-by-a-bus scenario.

I trust Rassah wholeheartedly, and hope you do to. I also believe that he's able to deliver Bitcoin 100 to the next level, whatever that may be.

There's no nefarious reason(s) for my sudden departure. Again, it's for the betterment of Bitcoin 100 in particular and Bitcoin proper in general.

I now understand how most women feel when their child leaves the nest.  Cry

~Bruno K~

PS: I want to once again thank every single person who has contributed to Bitcoin 100, along with those who've simply offering up support in a myriad of other ways.

Please rest assure, that all bitcoins contributed in the past and future will go toward acceptable causes with little or no moneys allocated to overhead, albeit the latter claim may change as the entity grows beyond some manageable stage.

PPS: Please don't take the time to individually post thanks or well wishes for, quite frankly, I probably don't deserve any thanks.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:46:23 PM

That's not true Bruno, you do deserve thanks. It's your brainchild and energy that drove it. I do trust Rassah but was disappointed to hear about you stepping down. It's nice to know you will stay in the loop though.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:02:48 PM

That's not true Bruno, you do deserve thanks. It's your brainchild and energy that drove it. I do trust Rassah but was disappointed to hear about you stepping down. It's nice to know you will stay in the loop though.

Maybe I deserve thanks for starting it, but I have been the one that has held it back, running out of excuses to further the cause.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:53:47 PM

Ok, that had some new info in it for me. Bruno stepped down and you inherited Bitcoin100? You are now in charge of the company direction and funds? Not that it's a bad thing - just wondering.

Correct. At least until if I can find somebody to delegate some of the positions to. This thing has been sitting on its butt and not using its resources for too long, and me being in the position of "I am just a treasurer" I haven't really been motivated to do much with it. Now I'll be working as if it's my thing that I have full responsibility for. Until I see someone more motivated and still trustworthy. I'll still keep all accounts and communications public on here.
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: