Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:56:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 [1754] 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667062 times)
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 06:07:53 AM

Currently, the GUI is useless in signing transactions offline due to a known and open window-scaling issue in some devices with smaller/lower-res screen (at least for me anyway) wherein the "Advanced Options" buttons at the bottom are cut off and inaccessible (specifically the "Sign tx file" button). It's supposed to be fixed in the next release but in the meantime, what are the steps to sign transactions offline using CLI (reluctantly due to CLI phobia but I'm left with no choice).

See:

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/2868/is-there-any-way-to-construct-a-transaction-manually/2916

To create a view wallet, one has to add the --generate-from-view-key <view-wallet-name> flag.

On Windows make sure to launch it from the command line. Go to the folder monero-wallet-cli is located and make sure your cursor isn't located on any of the files. Subsequently do SHIFT + right click and it will give you an option to "Open command window here". Lastly, type the following command:

Code:
monero-wallet-cli --generate-from-view-key <view-wallet-name>

On Linux and Mac OS X you should use the terminal to launch monero-wallet-cli. Note that this has to be done from the directory monero-wallet-cli is located in. The command is as follows:

Code:
./monero-wallet-cli --generate-from-view-key <view-wallet-name>

I'm already good with creating an unsigned transaction with the online view-only wallet in GUI which runs on a desktop with a rather large monitor (not affected by the scaling issue). I just need to know the specific CLI strings/args to sign the transaction with the cold wallet on the offline device using CLI (and subsequently export it back to the online GUI wallet for broadcasting) since my offline GUI is unusable due the the aforementioned scaling issue. Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 10:40:55 AM

Currently, the GUI is useless in signing transactions offline due to a known and open window-scaling issue in some devices with smaller/lower-res screen (at least for me anyway) wherein the "Advanced Options" buttons at the bottom are cut off and inaccessible (specifically the "Sign tx file" button).

Until scaling is fixed I found this way to launch gui helpful:
QT_SCALE_FACTOR=0.8 ./start-gui.sh

Thanks for the tip. Where and how do I apply this string in Linux?

Open the terminal from the directory of `monero-wallet-gui` (`start-gui.sh` is in the same directory). Subsequently type aforementioned command.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 10:44:36 AM

Currently, the GUI is useless in signing transactions offline due to a known and open window-scaling issue in some devices with smaller/lower-res screen (at least for me anyway) wherein the "Advanced Options" buttons at the bottom are cut off and inaccessible (specifically the "Sign tx file" button). It's supposed to be fixed in the next release but in the meantime, what are the steps to sign transactions offline using CLI (reluctantly due to CLI phobia but I'm left with no choice).

See:

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/2868/is-there-any-way-to-construct-a-transaction-manually/2916

To create a view wallet, one has to add the --generate-from-view-key <view-wallet-name> flag.

On Windows make sure to launch it from the command line. Go to the folder monero-wallet-cli is located and make sure your cursor isn't located on any of the files. Subsequently do SHIFT + right click and it will give you an option to "Open command window here". Lastly, type the following command:

Code:

On Linux and Mac OS X you should use the terminal to launch monero-wallet-cli. Note that this has to be done from the directory monero-wallet-cli is located in. The command is as follows:

Code:

I'm already good with creating an unsigned transaction with the online view-only wallet in GUI which runs on a desktop with a rather large monitor (not affected by the scaling issue). I just need to know the specific CLI strings/args to sign the transaction with the cold wallet on the offline device using CLI (and subsequently export it back to the online GUI wallet for broadcasting) since my offline GUI is unusable due the the aforementioned scaling issue. Thanks!

You can still use the guide I linked. For every step that uses the "watch wallet" you use the GUI, whereas for every step that uses the "cold wallet" you use the CLI. For example, step 1 of the guide is as follows:

Using watch wallet, export_outputs to a file*.

Thus, for this step you use the GUI.

Anoter example, step 3 is as follows:

Using cold wallet, import_outputs from the file*.

Thus, for this step you use the CLI.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 11:06:05 AM
Last edit: July 12, 2017, 02:29:04 AM by mprep

See:

Code:

Code:

You can still use the guide I linked. For every step that uses the "watch wallet" you use the GUI, whereas for every step that uses the "cold wallet" you use the CLI. For example, step 1 of the guide is as follows:

Using watch wallet, export_outputs to a file*.

Thus, for this step you use the GUI.

Anoter example, step 3 is as follows:

Using cold wallet, import_outputs from the file*.

Thus, for this step you use the CLI.

I see. Perhaps my eyes and brain just got tired after desperately cramming for a solution. I'll check it out again.

Currently, the GUI is useless in signing transactions offline due to a known and open window-scaling issue in some devices with smaller/lower-res screen (at least for me anyway) wherein the "Advanced Options" buttons at the bottom are cut off and inaccessible (specifically the "Sign tx file" button).

Open the terminal from the directory of `monero-wallet-gui` (`start-gui.sh` is in the same directory). Subsequently type aforementioned command.

Got it! Thank you.

However, I just found out that on Linux Mint 18~, pressing ALT and clicking anywhere on a window (and not just on the title bar at the top) allows dragging it around beyond the screen/monitor boundary, thereby making it possible to then manually scale/increase the GUI window size with the arrow on the bottom right corner and reveal the cut off Advanced Options buttons. Very cool feature and a painless and an effective solution to the scaling issue. I only wish Windows has such flexibility so I don't have to deal with Linux.

That said, I'm surmising that cross-platform transaction signing (i.e. generating an unsigned tx on Windows and consequently signing it on Linux) shouldn't be a problem, right?

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 12:32:23 PM

Got it! Thank you.

However, I just found out that on Linux Mint 18~, pressing ALT and clicking anywhere on a window (and not just on the title bar at the top) allows dragging it around beyond the screen/monitor boundary, thereby making it possible to then manually scale/increase the GUI window size with the arrow on the bottom right corner and reveal the cut off Advanced Options buttons. Very cool feature and a painless and an effective solution to the scaling issue. I only wish Windows has such flexibility so I don't have to deal with Linux.

That said, I'm surmising that cross-platform transaction signing (i.e. generating an unsigned tx on Windows and consequently signing it on Linux) shouldn't be a problem, right?

No, the files should be portable across different operating systems.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 05:48:11 PM

[Funding] Continued funding for postdoctoral researcher Surae Noether

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/87822/continued-funding-for-postdoctoral-researcher-surae-noether-me

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/6m2bvh/funding_continued_funding_for_postdoctoral/

[Funding] Justin's Local Meetup Talks Proposal #2: April to June

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/87820/justin-s-local-meetup-talks-proposal-2-april-to-june

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/6m2bzj/funding_justins_local_meetup_talks_proposal_2/

tsg

Activity: 252
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 12:01:51 AM

Do I need to  set payment id to withdraw Xmr from poloniex to my Monero wallet or is it just optional ?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 12:17:35 AM

Do I need to  set payment id to withdraw Xmr from poloniex to my Monero wallet or is it just optional ?

for you sending to your wallet it is optional. 

it is necessary when sending to polo because they have one address and they the payment id is how they know whose deposit is whose.

bottom line is PID is used when you need to distinguish deposits from from multiple sources that are sent to a wallet.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 12:24:11 AM

Polo is now using integrated addresses so no more payment id crap! Wink

Edit meaning if you deposit now, it's just one address that is yours only.

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 02:04:54 AM

Is Alphabay the only darknet website that accepts Monero as of today? I heard that they are now down and that they might have exited the market, stealing all their users funds. What happens now?

I heard that Wall Street Market is now working with XMR.  That would make it the third DNM to add XMR.  DNMs really need to decentralize.  Hansa is a step in the right direction, and seems to be getting most of the AB diaspora ATM.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
tsg

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 12:47:10 PM

nioc, owlcatz thanks for your answers!
I wanted to withdraw from polo to my wallet, but now good to know by the way that I do not have to worry about payment id Smiley

BTW I am using full client, is there any good light monero client now?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2017, 09:37:29 PM

Is Alphabay the only darknet website that accepts Monero as of today? I heard that they are now down and that they might have exited the market, stealing all their users funds. What happens now?

I heard that Wall Street Market is now working with XMR.  That would make it the third DNM to add XMR.  DNMs really need to decentralize.  Hansa is a step in the right direction, and seems to be getting most of the AB diaspora ATM.

DNMs really need to decentralize *AND* stop sending/receiving coins that are not named Monero.  Wink

BTC is okay for internal (IE mulitsig'd escrow) use, but not acceptable for funds entering and exiting the system; inputs and outputs must be sanitized to minimize metadata leakage.

I hope the Judge doubles the AB operators' sentences for being so egregiously and obnoxiously stupid as to add Zooko-cash and Vitalik-coin.  Cheesy

To all DNM devs reading this:

Unless you want to join Ross in a 'don't-drop-the-soap' government rape camp, stop putting yourselves and your users at risk with radically transparent Bitcoin and Bitcoin-based crypto.  XMR has a splendid GUI and Android app is in alpha, so there are no more 'but muh learning curve/zomg icky CLI' excuses.

If drug-addled junkies, hippies, and ravers can figure out how to use Bitcoin they can damn well spend another couple of hours getting to know Monero.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 10:15:23 PM

I wanted to withdraw from polo to my wallet, but now good to know by the way that I do not have to worry about payment id Smiley

No, but there is one in alpha status as iCEBREAKER mentions above - Check https://reddit.com/r/Monero - it's fairly high on the page, screenshots even - sorry for no direct link. Sad

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 06:33:21 PM

No, but there is one in alpha status as iCEBREAKER mentions above - Check https://reddit.com/r/Monero - it's fairly high on the page, screenshots even - sorry for no direct link.

Yes there are several in the works and some might even be ready soon Grin

You can also use the GUI with a remote public node.  Public nodes can only handle a certain amount of traffic and you give up some privacy.  It also obviously doesn't support the network.  I keep a node running all the time as it uses minimal computer resorces and I have unlimited data.

There is currently work being done to reduce the amount of data and bandwidth a node uses.
tsg

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 07:42:13 PM

I heard about another black market during last year Monero pump, but  I can not recall its name and tell if it still works; you should look for Monero news from August 2016.
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 11:25:20 PM

I heard about another black market during last year Monero pump, but  I can not recall its name and tell if it still works; you should look for Monero news from August 2016.

That was both Alphabay and Oasis with Oasis exiting very shortly after adding Monero.
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 09:10:59 AM

is there any public useful Monero testnet out there? I am trying to add Monero to a service I am developing and I can't find any useful links to any testnet, faucet, explorer... it is making my job really hard, I don't want to play with actual XMRs and risk doing something stupid.

the closest thing I found to a testnet requires me deploying a private chain and mining.

stoffu

Activity: 203
Merit: 166

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2017, 09:52:59 AM

is there any public useful Monero testnet out there? I am trying to add Monero to a service I am developing and I can't find any useful links to any testnet, faucet, explorer... it is making my job really hard, I don't want to play with actual XMRs and risk doing something stupid.

the closest thing I found to a testnet requires me deploying a private chain and mining.

Here's a testnet blockchain explorer: https://testnet.xmrchain.com/
It's quite fast to download the testnet blockchain since it's small (~2GB).
It's also super easy to get the testnet coins by just solo mining because the hashrate is so low (250H/s).
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 10:15:56 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2017, 10:31:04 AM by mmitech

Here's a testnet blockchain explorer: https://testnet.xmrchain.com/
It's quite fast to download the testnet blockchain since it's small (~2GB).
It's also super easy to get the testnet coins by just solo mining because the hashrate is so low (250H/s).

so is this a public testnet? or should I be connecting to a special set of nodes for this?

Edit: OK I got it working, will try mining some coins to test. thank you.
boudesj

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 12:08:12 PM

Hi. I am checking if Monero would be compatible with the upcoming Blocknet decentralized exchange. I have looked at your github, but cannot figure out if you support BIP65 (OP_checklocktimeverify) and have a bitcoin stock JSON RPC API?
Thanks!
Pages: « 1 ... 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 [1754] 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: