Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:09:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 [941] 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667033 times)
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:54:29 AM

done! thanks for the heads up!

Poll: What cryptocurrency do you have the most faith in the long term?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=915569.0

You guys know what to do.  To the MoneroMobile!

Deploy the swarm!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:30:42 AM

Can someone create a to a step by step guide to creating a cold storage wallet for Monero?

I think it would be helpful for new investors who are uncomfortable keeping XMR on an exchange.

Perhaps separate guides for Windows and Linux with screenshots would be best
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:45:49 AM

Can someone create a to a step by step guide to creating a cold storage wallet for Monero?

I think it would be helpful for new investors who are uncomfortable keeping XMR on an exchange.

It is pretty much the same on all OS.

Mac/Linux: simplewallet --generate-new-wallet wallet-name

Windows: simplewallet.exe --generate-new-wallet wallet-name

(When asked for a password, give a really long random one -- don't worry about remembering it.)

Write down the address and seed words. Double check that you got them right.

Delete the wallet files.

You can do this with an offline computer, and you don't need to be running the daemon (in fact you don't even need the daemon binary installed).

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:15:41 AM

(When asked for a password, give a really long random one -- don't worry about remembering it.)

Delete the wallet files.

You can do this with an offline computer, and you don't need to be running the daemon (in fact you don't even need the daemon binary installed).

Or use fluffypony's extended guide:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/2dt1h9/definite_guide_to_securely_storing_monero_on_a/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg8246348#msg8246348

Hey everyone,

What security measures do you recommend for your cold storage keys. I was thinking more about measures to prevent hacking/theft of the keys. Should i be paranoid to the point of creating the wallet in an air gap and never look into it until I need it? (Lets not go into the "Ruiu says badBIOS leaps air gaps" territory).

Regarding backup I'm doing the _strongly encrypt your files and stored them in offline and online sources and don't forget the deterministic seed_ routine. If anyone as further thoughts on backup that would be appreciated also.

Remember, rockets are old school. We are going to the moon in a space elevator. Keep calm and get some moar.

Peace!

My suggestion is as follows:

1. Take any machine you have lying around, even your normal workstation. You may find it easier to use an older computer that has no wifi or bluetooth if you're particularly paranoid.
2. Create a Linux or Windows bootable disk, and make sure you have the Monero binaries on the same disk or on a second disk (for Linux make sure you have also downloaded copies of the dependencies you will need, libboost1.55 and miniupnpc for instance).
3. Disconnect the network and/or Internet cables from your machine, physically remove the wifi card or switch the wifi/bluetooth off on a laptop if possible.
4. Boot into your bootable OS, install the dependencies if necessary.
5. Copy the Monero binaries to to a RAM disk (/dev/shm in Linux, Windows bootable ISOs normally have a Z: drive or something)
6. Don't run the Monero daemon. Instead, using the command line, use simplewallet to create a new wallet.
7. When prompted for a name, give it any name, it doesn't really matter.
8. When prompted for a password, type in like 50 - 100 random characters. Don't worry that you don't know the password, just make it LONG.
9. Write down (on paper) your 24 word mnemonic seed.
10. Write down (on your phone, on paper, on another computer, wherever you want) your address and view key.
11. Switch off the computer, remove the battery if there is one, and leave it physically off for a few hours.

There you go - the wallet you've created was created in RAM, and the digital files are now lost forever. If some magical hacker manages to somehow get the data, they will lack the long password to open it. If you need to receive payments, you have the address, and you have the view key if needed. If you need access to it, you have your 24 word seed, and you can now write out several copies of it so that you have an offsite copy (eg. a bank deposit box). Due to the nature of the key you can write it as part of something else - eg. write a fake love letter to your wife so that the 24 words on the left hand side are your key or whatever. Then write a bunch of extra love letters. That way, if your deposit box is ever discovered, it'll be disregarded as unimportant love letters.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:25:54 AM

Delete the wallet files.

Or use fluffypony's extended guide:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/2dt1h9/definite_guide_to_securely_storing_monero_on_a/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg8246348#msg8246348

Hey everyone,

What security measures do you recommend for your cold storage keys. I was thinking more about measures to prevent hacking/theft of the keys. Should i be paranoid to the point of creating the wallet in an air gap and never look into it until I need it? (Lets not go into the "Ruiu says badBIOS leaps air gaps" territory).

Regarding backup I'm doing the _strongly encrypt your files and stored them in offline and online sources and don't forget the deterministic seed_ routine. If anyone as further thoughts on backup that would be appreciated also.

Remember, rockets are old school. We are going to the moon in a space elevator. Keep calm and get some moar.

Peace!

My suggestion is as follows:

1. Take any machine you have lying around, even your normal workstation. You may find it easier to use an older computer that has no wifi or bluetooth if you're particularly paranoid.
2. Create a Linux or Windows bootable disk, and make sure you have the Monero binaries on the same disk or on a second disk (for Linux make sure you have also downloaded copies of the dependencies you will need, libboost1.55 and miniupnpc for instance).
3. Disconnect the network and/or Internet cables from your machine, physically remove the wifi card or switch the wifi/bluetooth off on a laptop if possible.
4. Boot into your bootable OS, install the dependencies if necessary.
5. Copy the Monero binaries to to a RAM disk (/dev/shm in Linux, Windows bootable ISOs normally have a Z: drive or something)
6. Don't run the Monero daemon. Instead, using the command line, use simplewallet to create a new wallet.
7. When prompted for a name, give it any name, it doesn't really matter.
8. When prompted for a password, type in like 50 - 100 random characters. Don't worry that you don't know the password, just make it LONG.
9. Write down (on paper) your 24 word mnemonic seed.
10. Write down (on your phone, on paper, on another computer, wherever you want) your address and view key.
11. Switch off the computer, remove the battery if there is one, and leave it physically off for a few hours.

There you go - the wallet you've created was created in RAM, and the digital files are now lost forever. If some magical hacker manages to somehow get the data, they will lack the long password to open it. If you need to receive payments, you have the address, and you have the view key if needed. If you need access to it, you have your 24 word seed, and you can now write out several copies of it so that you have an offsite copy (eg. a bank deposit box). Due to the nature of the key you can write it as part of something else - eg. write a fake love letter to your wife so that the 24 words on the left hand side are your key or whatever. Then write a bunch of extra love letters. That way, if your deposit box is ever discovered, it'll be disregarded as unimportant love letters.

Thank you both!

I do have a follow up question....

Smooth says "you don't even need the daemon binary installed"

Fluffypony says "Copy the Monero binaries to to a RAM disk"

Can you define binaries in this case because it seems like one of you are saying they are needed and one of you says they are not.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 11:33:44 AM

Okay!

I just got a response to my email - monero will "absolutely be on shapeshift by the end of the month"

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Bassica

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:38:03 AM

Grin Great news about shapeshift!

Also loving the various projects getting initiated. I'll look how I can contribute (other than donating).

papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:53:57 AM

Thank you both!

I do have a follow up question....

Smooth says "you don't even need the daemon binary installed"

Fluffypony says "Copy the Monero binaries to to a RAM disk"

Can you define binaries in this case because it seems like one of you are saying they are needed and one of you says they are not.

Since you will not be syncing with the network you don't need the daemon binary, but you definitely need the simplewallet binary to run simplewallet. Tongue
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:19:18 PM

Due to the nature of the key you can write it as part of something else - eg. write a fake love letter to your wife so that the 24 words on the left hand side are your key or whatever. Then write a bunch of extra love letters. That way, if your deposit box is ever discovered, it'll be disregarded as unimportant love letters.

Can anyone add a step-by-step guide to writing plausible love letters?
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:23:53 PM

Due to the nature of the key you can write it as part of something else - eg. write a fake love letter to your wife so that the 24 words on the left hand side are your key or whatever. Then write a bunch of extra love letters. That way, if your deposit box is ever discovered, it'll be disregarded as unimportant love letters.

Plausible unimportant love letters. Doesn't seem easy.  Cheesy

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:24:20 PM

Just google. You can easily find a few generic ones.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
shitaifan2013
Legendary

Activity: 879
Merit: 1000

monero

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:04:43 PM

regarding the bazaar-project: I bought the domain monerobazaar.com not long ago. if there is need for it, it is of course available for the project for free, either via domain transfer or I can keep/pay for it and just redirect to the project-homepage.

I'm not in range of my xmr-wallets right now, so I can't donate. I hope Atrides finds the time to make it happen  Smiley

papa_lazzarou

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:23:50 PM

Why would you keep a love letter to your wife in a deposit box?

Wow, huge security flaw. BCX was right after all!!!!!  Shocked

I'm dumping!
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 04:33:16 PM

I'm dumping!

In case she's at home and dies in a crazy chemical fire, and the letter is the only thing you have left. Think like you're in a movie!

MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 04:44:10 PM

There is now a monero tipbot in #monero, tippero, kindly hosted by fluffypony.

It is coded from scratch, but works in the same way as typical IRC tipbots. See !help and !commands for more info, how to use it, etc.

If you spot any bug, feel free to ping me.

Is it possible to extend this to reddit/twitter etc.? Would be nice to tip some XMR to newcomers on reddit.

In fact, having looked at it a bit, it doesn't sound as bad as I first thought. It'll require a fair amount of changes to the existing code to abstract things away from IRC and related assumptions (eg, notion of a channel).
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 04:54:09 PM

I think I know the answer to this, but I want to make sure:

When you send monero with a payment ID, is the payment ID broadcast with the transaction (i.e., observable on the blockchain and traceable?)

Or is the payment ID tucked away (encrypted) somewhere and not observable?

The use case is this:

You want to buy something on a website. The website creates a payment ID for you, and the address to send your payment.

The business receives the payment in their wallet, with the payment ID for the business to connect a particular payment to a particular customer account.

Methinks this is the whole purpose of the viewkey, but I just want to make sure I'm putting things together right.

This might be explained in that one figure in the whitepaper, but as the critique of the whitepaper indicated, that figure is not easy to understand.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 04:57:06 PM

I'm dumping!

In case she's at home and dies in a crazy chemical fire, and the letter is the only thing you have left. Think like you're in a movie!

Altcoin enthusiasts have wives?
tomerkon

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 05:48:39 PM

why are the monero pools crashing now?
papa_lazzarou

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 05:54:45 PM

Wow, huge security flaw. BCX was right after all!!!!!  Shocked

I'm dumping!

Altcoin enthusiasts have wives?

Shhhh! Lets stick with the fire story. I don't think anyone needs to know that the wife left us because we were a little too enthusiastic about alts.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 06:01:44 PM

I think I know the answer to this, but I want to make sure:

When you send monero with a payment ID, is the payment ID broadcast with the transaction (i.e., observable on the blockchain and traceable?)

Or is the payment ID tucked away (encrypted) somewhere and not observable?

The use case is this:

You want to buy something on a website. The website creates a payment ID for you, and the address to send your payment.

The business receives the payment in their wallet, with the payment ID for the business to connect a particular payment to a particular customer account.

Methinks this is the whole purpose of the viewkey, but I just want to make sure I'm putting things together right.

This might be explained in that one figure in the whitepaper, but as the critique of the whitepaper indicated, that figure is not easy to understand.

It's completely observable - the viewkey is something else entirely.

The Monero Research Lab are looking at better ways to deal with payment IDs, but it's not the highest priority at the moment, as payment IDs don't leak anything of significance, and it's easy to roll them over on an exchange.

Pages: « 1 ... 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 [941] 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: