Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:58:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 [1074] 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667221 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:00:29 AM

you guys are always pointing out how the project is basically unfunded and you do great work under those conditions no doubt. but i just want to do what i can to help with this situation for 2 reasons, for the good of monero, but also because you guys should be compensated for the work you do. and the thing is, i just dont think that panhandling is ever going to get you the sort of consistent and appropriate compensation you should be getting, and monero should be getting.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:03:01 AM

What if monero was funded through fundraising website/programs? I know those websites usually dont allow you to give something in return to those who donate, but they could be directed to a monero exchange where they could buy some if theyd like.

Well, I got excited about checking out kickstarter, but they don't allow projects for "cash equivalent" things... they used some other word than things. I forget.

If I'm understanding gingerale correctly here, i think hes saying that kickstarter is a no go. Maybe indigogo though.

Hopefully somebody will look into it. Pure speculation here but I wonder if that means you can't give people cash equivalents as a reward. But maybe the project funding with no rewards or different rewards could still happen there (or as you say another crowdfunding site with good visibility).

You guys should talk about it amongst yourselves and see what sort of commitment you can come up with for what price. I know we talked about this before and you weren't willing to commit to delivering any particular product, but maybe you could commit to full time development for a given period of time. I think that would satisfy people. If you can come up with something that we could crowd fund than im sure we could find some way of accommodating that.

I disagree with this, as I have alluded to in other posts. Promises tend to get broken. If you don't promise much there's nothing much broken (especially the trust of people). And this is one of the core strengths of the core team. Their approach.

We match what their current employment is paying them for like 3 months and only ask is that they work on the project full time (i.e. 40 hours a week) and that would be too hard of an obligation to keep? So difficult that we would risk them breaking their promise? That doesn't sound right to me.

Speaking in general terms here, its pretty hard for someone to give up ongoing current employment for a commitment of only three months of pay. Some people in some circumstances might be able to take a leave of absence or something and then have a job to go back to, but in general that doesn't really work unless people are by nature temporary workers or the like. Without a big chunk of funding to actually hire people ongoing (at least a year say) you are ultimately stuck with "available time" for the most part.

Sure. I mean if that's the case with all of you guys than thats fine. But i figured that maybe one or two of you did contract work and we could hire those one or two. In the event that all of you have very traditional employment relationships, than its not necessarily out of the question that we could possibly raise enough money to fund you for a year. if we didnt, than no harm done, everyone gets their money back, thats the beauty of crowd funding.

As I said I was speaking generally and just pointing out some of the complications. It's also true that some of us are available on different schedules, have varying commitments, etc. so in some cases this could very well work. I was sort of agreeing with both of you, not one or the other. It depends.

I appreciate your efforts to brainstorm on funding ideas and I hope my comments are not seen as discouragement or rejection because it wan't intended that way.
frankiemac

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:07:57 AM

I am new to mining coins and want to mine this one. I have it running on my laptop and want to make sure that I will not burn it out by letting it mine 24-7. My computer is running Windows 8.1 and the specs are Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s).

I am using Wolf's CPU miner and it runs 7 threads. The fan is always running so do not want to burn it out. I got this from my parents for Christmas and was just hoping to get some valuable coins.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:12:07 AM

I am new to mining coins and want to mine this one. I have it running on my laptop and want to make sure that I will not burn it out by letting it mine 24-7. My computer is running Windows 8.1 and the specs are Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s).

I am using Wolf's CPU miner and it runs 7 threads. The fan is always running so do not want to burn it out. I got this from my parents for Christmas and was just hoping to get some valuable coins.

Run 3 threads (the formula is L3 cache divided by 2 MB). 7 is much too high. 3 will probably give you the best performance, less system load and less heat. If it is still hot you can reduce to 2.

Get a utility that reports your CPU temperature and if it gets too high then stop mining, but this shouldn't be an issue if you don't have the vents blocked or something. Once you cut threads you may find the fans quiet down, which is a good indication of reduced heat.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4892

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:12:15 AM

You should stop.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:38:19 AM

You of all people know this to not be true. I've accepted it, others have. Accept the instamine for what it was, an unfair almost scam-like attempt for Evan and a few others to get 2million Darkcoins.

I only addressed distribution (and made an economic assessment of the scam itself in parallel/contrast to bitcoin) - not the fact of the instamine (which for most PoS/PoW hybrid coins it's a feature anyway).

What part specifically is a lie?

Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:41:38 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2015, 12:57:48 AM by Joshuar

You of all people know this to not be true. I've accepted it, others have. Accept the instamine for what it was, an unfair almost scam-like attempt for Evan and a few others to get 2million Darkcoins.

I only addressed distribution (and made an economic assessment of the scam itself in parallel/contrast to bitcoin) - not the fact of the instamine (which for most PoS/PoW hybrid coins it's a feature anyway).

The distribution by the actual/main "instaminers", We have "no" evidence of Evan himself selling any darkcoins from any of his posts. His partner internetape at least still has 100k darkcoins from the instamined days, thought probably more(I wont entirely believe what he said in one of his posts).

As others have also said before, Bitcoin's parameters havent been changed at all. Everything is practically the same as when Satoshi first released it. Evan fucked up bad by slashing Darkcoins coin supply and block reward, but as evidence shows it was basically intended from the very beginning. If he didnt do that then there'd be no instamine talk today. A good question is also, why didn't he just rerelease Darkcoin without the instamine?

Before I used to let my investments do the talking, now Im more into ethics, so I wont stand by Darkcoin or Dash's side with such a literally scammy past behind it.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 01:15:04 AM

Our beloved core team member David Latapie is being considered for the hugely coveted title of Altcoin Gangster. Although in connection with his other coin, I think we should still give him some Monero love over here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=723764.0

Damnit, only 16 votes!

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:15:41 AM

the problem now is darkcoin is now trying to release it to the general public who don't understand or have little or no idea about instamine, ambush release, linux only at first. they even bulit a foundation out of it and changed the name to dash to wash its dark name.

Agree

If you don't mind please move your comment to the other thread I noted above, as this is not directly relevant to Monero any more.

Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:25:22 AM

Ok, so I finally got around to reading a bunch of threads I missed before entirely. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=755840.0

Here, I'm accused of being a bought account by Come-from-Above in a ridiculous conspiracy. Lol, nothing has made me laugh this hard in quite some time.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:29:03 AM

The distribution, Evan himself hardly sold any darkcoins. His partner internetape at least still has 100k darkcoins from the instamined days, thought probably more(I wont entirely believe what he said in one of his posts).

Some of us who follow DRK closely know who the DRK whales are / were and we know their stories. Personally I've talked with most of them (or if I haven't, I've read their stories). I know how they got their DRKs and this pretty much narrows down what Evan has. It's not two million and it's not one million either. If my assessment is correct it should be closer to 300k coins - some of which he probably bought for 0.25btc/10k DRK. I believe he must have suffered serious losses with the Mintpal "confiscation" and consequent dumping at market prices.

I was also there while wave, after wave, after wave of dumping was happening every day at Cryptsy near the 0.0012-0.0016 range. Every day the same bitching "ohhh the dumping". We're talking quantities that were multiple the daily production. How can the instamine be ...intact if all this dumping had occurred? But now we are >10x that price with 0.017, so, in retrospect, it was very cheap distribution.

Same with thousands of coins during the first exchange days. Quite a big volume in DRKs (not so much in BTCs) at insanely low prices (0.000020-0.000080 then 0.000180, then 0.000500, then it got to 0.002 before the c-cex hack of 330 btc which brought huge reshuffling in the market). Hacker bought DRKs up to 0.008, moved them to the poloniex and was selling/dumping them for 0.0008-0.0012... again, significant re-distribution of coins.

Then you have the May pump... you have coins that you have acquired at 0.000025 up to 0.001x and the price goes 0.028 by the massive whale, which IMO was probably a stolen-BTCs-whale playing with various altcoins and having DRK as his "pet"... so at that point, the market took over the redistribution.

As others have also said before, Bitcoin's parameters havent been changed at all. Everything is practically the same as when Satoshi first released.

Does that change the measurable financial impact of each 'scam"?

DRK's instamine was worth 50 BTC at the time it happened and for 3 weeks. That was its market value. That's just the first BTC block (=50BTC)

DRK's instamine today is worth 34.000 BTC. That's its current market value. That's not even a week of solomining BTC with 7200BTC/day. And yet DRK wasn't solo'ed, nor was the initial distribution kept intact (unlike Bitcoin).

Evan fucked up bad by slashing Darkcoins coin supply and block reward, but as evidence shows it was basically intended from the very beginning.

The reward was changed many times. First came the difficulty scare with the cpu whale that people thought he was a GPU miner which reduced reward... But it was also a problematic approach (I thought it was a security vulnerability) because it gave incentives to DDOS pools to reduce overall hashrate to get the higher reward. And thus I notified Evan and he issued a patch to lock the GPU reward structure into place. Then the initial formula would not produce more than 10mn coins despite the 84mn theoretical. People asked for more, they got more, then there was another round of whether to reduce it and it became what it is now. Then came masternode mining and tweaks on how many each masternode was getting.

If he didnt do that then there'd be no instamine talk today. A good question is also, why didn't he just rerelease Darkcoin without the instamine?

It already had a failed launch and relaunch. Twice might be perceived as a joke. If you go down the conspiracy road, then you can also say that if he relaunched twice, someone could come along and say 'ohhh we know why you relaunched twice... you wanted us to think that this is a shitcoin with a shit dev so that nobody bothers while you solo-mine it and then you added DarkSend to give it value... all this "I'm useless / shitcoin" was just a facade to leave you alone while solomining the supposed fail-coin".

Give me any scenario where there is a genuine trouble and I will find you a dozen accusations that can ensue. And I remember at least 15 genuine problems with DRK over time... whether forks, security-related, MN-related, etc...
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:30:54 AM

Just close today bitmonerod and reopen so it can't load a blockchain.
Code:
2015-Mar-23 01:02:37.217285 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/common/boost_serialization_helper.h:108 Exception at [unserialize_obj_from_file], what=unsupported version
2015-Mar-23 01:02:37.217285 Can't load blockchain storage from file, generating genesis block.
2015-Mar-23 01:02:37.297285 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/cryptonote_core/blockchain_storage.cpp:127 Failed to add genesis block to blockchain
2015-Mar-23 01:02:37.297285 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/cryptonote_core/cryptonote_core.cpp:165 Failed to initialize blockchain storage
2015-Mar-23 01:02:37.297285 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/daemon/daemon.cpp:255 Failed to initialize core

I guess it's a bug caused by storage blockchain after closing.

Looks like your blockchain file got corrupted during shutdown. You should download a new one, the link is in the first post of this thread.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:31:53 AM

AlexGR please be polite and take it to the other thread, unless there is some relationship to Monero. It's valid to respond when comments are made here but the entire discussion doesn't have to happen on an OT thread. If this were the DRK thread and we were talking all about Monero for multiple pages that would off topic too right?
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:41:41 AM

AlexGR please be polite and take it to the other thread, unless there is some relationship to Monero. It's valid to respond when comments are made here but the entire discussion doesn't have to happen on an OT thread. If this were the DRK thread and we were talking all about Monero for multiple pages that would off topic too right?

It took me a while to write the answer to Joshuar, and hadn't see that you wrote a reply... I'll reply to your reply in the other thread, no worries.

Btw, I actually came for a whole different reason to the XMR thread and then I got caught up with the DRK instamine discussion which I found. Anyway, it was actually more of a request... please ask IceBreaker to refrain from trolling the DRK thread if you can. Some of us DRK holders, also hold multiple anonymous currencies to cover the whole anonymous segment (or the more promising candidates of that market). There is no reason for such a fight. Over and out.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:46:05 AM

It took me a while to write the answer to Joshuar, and hadn't see that you wrote a reply... I'll reply to your reply in the other thread, no worries.

Btw, I actually came for a whole different reason to the XMR thread and then I got caught up with the DRK instamine discussion which I found. Anyway, it was actually more of a request... please ask IceBreaker to refrain from trolling the DRK thread if you can. Some of us DRK holders, also hold multiple anonymous currencies to cover the whole anonymous segment (or the more promising candidates of that market). There is no reason for such a fight. Over and out.

Icebreaker doesn't work for Monero or even with Monero (we do have various conributors and people who work closely with us besides the core team, but he's not one of them). It's not reasonable to think that just because he likes Monero that we get to tell him what to do right?

I can ask him to not spam Monero stuff over there (and he'll see this post so, icebreaker, consider this such a request) but if he wants to comment about DRK on the DRK thread that is ultimately on-topic and his call.
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:55:27 AM

Not permitting people to talk about DRK in an XMR thread and XMR in a DRK thread is as silly as having an AMD forum where posters can't discuss Intel.
As silly as prohibiting Samsung users and developers from discussing Apple.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:58:31 AM

Not permitting people to talk about DRK in an XMR thread and XMR in a DRK thread is as silly as having an AMD forum where posters can't discuss Intel.

Okay talk about how it compares then. That's certainly valid.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 02:05:22 AM

really? If I want to talk and discuss about AMD* I will not go on the main forum on intel.com.

you can still do it tho, and I can still say how its off-topic and annoying.

*neither AMD, Intel, Samsung or Apple are a scam

actually a discussion about competition is healthy and needs to take place.
i just cant see DRK as competition (and i really mean this honest and in a non-trolling way).

waiting until the bigger drk-whales are bored and have milked their cow is IMHO all thats needed.
i just feel bad for the bad for the smaller holders.

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
nachoig

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 02:14:13 AM

Mental note: create an account at Monero forum at the next days and unsubscribe from this shitty thread full of off-topic.

It's very laughable (to not say fucking ridiculous) claiming about how a supposeddly anonymous/privacy-centric coin is distributed and from who supposeddly the addresses belong.

There are a lot of topics on Altcoin discussion about Darkcoin vs Monero. Like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=962235.0
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 02:51:27 AM

Mental note: create an account at Monero forum at the next days and unsubscribe from this shitty thread full of off-topic.
Notice how my amount of posting substantially dropped here (the previous one was not even about Monero). And forum.getmonero.org finally got a "subscribe" button.

So Long Bitcointalk, and Thanks for All the Phish
Bitcointalk is not a good environment if we want serious discussion about Monero. That much should be obvious. At some point we have to start cutting the apron strings and disconnecting from Bitcoin, especially since we share few common goals and no common code. It would be unfair of us to force newcomers interested in Monero to dig through thousands of scamcoin, shill, and troll posts on bitcointalk to find the occasional gem of information.

Additionally, you cannot possibly convince me that people needing help in running and using Monero should all gather in a single thread on a Bitcoin forum?? Nah, we've done our time here, there's no value in maintaining all the Monero threads on Bitcointalk. Anyone here who needs to know about Monero already does know about Monero;)

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Pages: « 1 ... 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 [1074] 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: