Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:02:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 [1778] 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667035 times)
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:57:41 AM

You mean you installed the GnuRoot Debian app and tried to set up Monero?  Did you use the ARM version?  Phone processors have a different architecture from computer cpu's.  There's a special version of Monero for the kind of cpu that android phones have.  Actually I think the Monero for ARM processors was built with Raspberry Pi users in mind, but the processors in android smart phones belong to the same family.
There's a learning curve to this kind of thing.  If you have negligible experience with the linux command line, navigating file systems and such, I would not expect you to be able to install Monero on your phone and get it working without a considerable effort.
Yeah, a nice android wallet would be a great thing to have.
Not that freewallet thing, which is probably a scam and ought to be taken off the Google Play Store.

Just because I expressed my aversion to CLI doesn't necessarily mean I don't know jack about hardware or more specifically, the difference between CPUs/SoCs of different platforms. I actually build rigs and therefore built my own little mining farm way back then before ASICs came into the scene. I also played around with RPi and have a half dozen Android devices that I also play around with. You and I probably read the same guide on the GnuRoot Debian/Monero Wallet CLI combo on Android whose links (from Reddit or Stack Exchange or both) had been posted on several occasions on this thread.

That said, you're still missing the point. Let's say that I was such a wizard of a tech geek as you are and succesfully got Wallet CLI running on one of my Android devices like you did. Is the other party that I'm gonna be transacting with in person as capable as I am in going through the intricacies of such a complex setup? There is no time to show off geek prowess when transacting on the go. One should have the ability to fire up the wallet, punch in the amount and hit send while the recipient would open up his/her mobile wallet and check to see if the transaction went through. That's an actual trading scenario in person. Same thing with making a purchase in person (primary use case) with cryptos. Punch in the amount and hit send. Showcasing geekness not necessary; in fact it's a hindrance and time-consuming in the real world. In other words, it's not viable nor it is practical/efficient.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MGTOW_MONERO_XMR

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 08:47:00 AM

Man I find this thread structure hard to use Huh, come on over to Reddit, it's way more organised over there Grin

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/
douglas.coffman

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 10:04:57 AM

Can you run Monero miner through TOR? If yes, what change would need to made to the bat file on the opening page? I'm using Windows.
thanks

As far as i know there is no proxy support? Can someone advice on this.

you can bind other ips/ports as given above.  however, you should not use tor for mining as the latency is very high and you run the risk of your blocks being orphaned.  use a vpn/vps instead.
yes
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:06:07 PM

Man I find this thread structure hard to use Huh, come on over to Reddit, it's way more organised over there Grin

FYI most of us here find reddit structure difficult to use, I for one can never find my posts and replies and find it retarded that a bunch of shills can bump up crap while quality sinks to oblivion. I prefer a BBS top down structure where I can go back over a entire conversation just by clicking the hyperlink quotes and reading the posts around that quote for context. But I started in the 80's on BBS boards before the interwebs so that is just me. I also won't use fagbook or any other privacy invasive site. But It would be nice to see the new BCT software finally get completed.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:33:01 PM

FYI most of us here find reddit structure difficult to use, I for one can never find my posts and replies and find it retarded that a bunch of shills can bump up crap while quality sinks to oblivion. I prefer a BBS top down structure where I can go back over a entire conversation just by clicking the hyperlink quotes and reading the posts around that quote for context. But I started in the 80's on BBS boards before the interwebs so that is just me. I also won't use fagbook or any other privacy invasive site. But It would be nice to see the new BCT software finally get completed.

I concur. I'm old school too so I definitely prefer the somewhat linear BBS format than the current fancy-schmancy conversation-type format (for a lack of a better description) prevalent in today's social media platforms that I think are less intuitive. It's one of the reasons why I don't do reddit, fecesbook, twit(ter), etc. but most of all, I am definitely not a social media ho. My dirty laundry is not for everyone in the world to witness  Wink ...but I digress.

rickgejr

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 07:08:28 PM

Maybe this is old info, but I got in contact with a manager at Cryptopia today, via Discord app.

I don't get the impression that they will delist XMR any time soon, but what I learned was interesting.

It may all be old hat to most of you.

As usual, I blogged about it.

https://thecryptopapers.com/2017/09/01/poloniex-v-cryptopia/
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 07:55:54 PM

Maybe this is old info, but I got in contact with a manager at Cryptopia today, via Discord app.

I don't get the impression that they will delist XMR any time soon, but what I learned was interesting.

TL;DR - Don’t use Poloniex, because..... (some vague reason about Bytecoin and payment id's).  Roll Eyes

Moving along now...

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 02:40:42 AM

This doesn't make sense to me. Sorry if I have not kept up with Bytecoin development, but I was not aware that Bytecoin had the ability to do encrypted payment ids (such as the integrated address with Monero)? Is it true?

stoffu

Activity: 203
Merit: 166

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2017, 03:26:12 AM

This doesn't make sense to me. Sorry if I have not kept up with Bytecoin development, but I was not aware that Bytecoin had the ability to do encrypted payment ids (such as the integrated address with Monero)? Is it true?

That doesn't seem like the case, as far as I can see from their simplewallet source code:
https://github.com/amjuarez/bytecoin/blob/master/src/SimpleWallet/SimpleWallet.cpp#L469
rickgejr

Activity: 251

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 03:45:19 AM

Here is the Cryptopia response to me, regarding BCN. Maybe I misunderstood. Please advise if it makes any sense. If not, I can ask for clarification. It's a bit raw. It seems to be important to me, if it can cause problems for XMR's (and Aeon) down the road.

"You've basically got the right idea. Polo sends about 90% of their cryptonote transactions to us just fine, but they encrypt the payment IDs of the other 10% with some password we've not yet figured out. We tried to contact their support to explain what they were doing but much like their users, we've been waiting for months with no reply. We have a working theory that like us, Polo has issues with Cryptonote wallets timing out calls, and thus it's probably only the manually reprocessed transactions that are going badly - when you google it, in many examples of how to send transactions for Cryptonote, the user is instructed to use a password to encrypt the paymentid - we assume that whoever is redoing their transactions doesn't know what they're doing.

"There is 2 major problems with this for us. The first being that many smarter users starting watching the blockchain for encrypted payment IDs arriving at our addresses, multiple users would then log support tickets claiming that the transaction was theirs and that they should be credited. A single transaction with an encrypted paymentid doesn't create a single support ticket, it creates many.
And so we just sent all the encrypted transactions back to Polo, we even paid the fees to do that, with the same encrypted payloadid hoping that Polo would figure out what we were doing and why, but, alas, nope. We then started getting user complaints that people were trying to move funds from Polo to Cryptopia, and that we were essentially rejecting their money and sending them to Polo's support to wait 3 months for shits and giggles.

"On one hand we get called thieves, and on the other we have users trying to leave Polo to come to us and having a very nasty first user experience which is out of our control. Either way, the support overhead makes us run at a massive loss to support Cryptonote coins, and the negative reputation we get for Polo's mistake made it a pretty clear cut "sorry, but this is why we can't have nice things", and is the reason that we don't accept new Cryptonote coins and are actively delisting the ones we do have. It's nothing to do with any KYC/AML requirements; it's nothing to do with the anonymity components of the coins/protocol; it's simply a bullshit sandwich being served up by Polo that we don't wanna eat anymore.
Worth noting is that for whatever reason, this issue doesn't happen nearly as much with XMR (like 0.5% of the transactions vs 10%), I dunno why."

elrippos friend

Activity: 1179
Merit: 210

only hodl what you understand and love!

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:18:52 AM

Here is the Cryptopia response to me, regarding BCN. Maybe I misunderstood. Please advise if it makes any sense. If not, I can ask for clarification. It's a bit raw. It seems to be important to me, if it can cause problems for XMR's (and Aeon) down the road.

"You've basically got the right idea. Polo sends about 90% of their cryptonote transactions to us just fine, but they encrypt the payment IDs of the other 10% with some password we've not yet figured out. We tried to contact their support to explain what they were doing but much like their users, we've been waiting for months with no reply. We have a working theory that like us, Polo has issues with Cryptonote wallets timing out calls, and thus it's probably only the manually reprocessed transactions that are going badly - when you google it, in many examples of how to send transactions for Cryptonote, the user is instructed to use a password to encrypt the paymentid - we assume that whoever is redoing their transactions doesn't know what they're doing.

"There is 2 major problems with this for us. The first being that many smarter users starting watching the blockchain for encrypted payment IDs arriving at our addresses, multiple users would then log support tickets claiming that the transaction was theirs and that they should be credited. A single transaction with an encrypted paymentid doesn't create a single support ticket, it creates many.
And so we just sent all the encrypted transactions back to Polo, we even paid the fees to do that, with the same encrypted payloadid hoping that Polo would figure out what we were doing and why, but, alas, nope. We then started getting user complaints that people were trying to move funds from Polo to Cryptopia, and that we were essentially rejecting their money and sending them to Polo's support to wait 3 months for shits and giggles.

"On one hand we get called thieves, and on the other we have users trying to leave Polo to come to us and having a very nasty first user experience which is out of our control. Either way, the support overhead makes us run at a massive loss to support Cryptonote coins, and the negative reputation we get for Polo's mistake made it a pretty clear cut "sorry, but this is why we can't have nice things", and is the reason that we don't accept new Cryptonote coins and are actively delisting the ones we do have. It's nothing to do with any KYC/AML requirements; it's nothing to do with the anonymity components of the coins/protocol; it's simply a bullshit sandwich being served up by Polo that we don't wanna eat anymore.
Worth noting is that for whatever reason, this issue doesn't happen nearly as much with XMR (like 0.5% of the transactions vs 10%), I dunno why."

Polo is too big and fat to react quickly and smoothly  Huh Roll Eyes Shocked

Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 02:26:02 PM

Ready to get up to 0.03 BTC once again... guys? Smiley
vince212

Activity: 306
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 02:30:57 PM

ready to go back to 90 dollars again mate?
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 02:59:04 PM

I thought you were only following the Monero speculation thread... but you're at every place where Monero is. Grin
vince212

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 03:13:58 PM

I thought you were only following the Monero speculation thread... but you're at every place where Monero is. Grin

yes because i hold it haha
editplus

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 04:59:17 AM

Why it takes 12 hours running monerod with xmr client only synchronized 2 days from 12 days behind to 10 days left. These days the transactions are huge, does it occur the same issue as bitcoin when large transactions occur, the network jams?
Zeruel

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 05:01:49 AM

Hi can any one help me?

I've mined in minexmr, i couldn't find or change the minimum payment.
Is there a setting to minimum payment like the rest of the pool? (nanopool,dwarfpool,etc)
I already email pool support at info@minexmr.com 2 times almost a week ago and still no reply.

Thank you
vince212

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 06:28:49 AM

hi anybody knows if i can transfer monero folder from c to d? without any problem? my blockchain file is too big now
tiCeR

Activity: 1708
Merit: 747

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 06:49:18 AM

I thought I read some time ago that the ring signature technology is mathematically not as secure in terms of anonymity as- for instance, ZCASH or so. So is that true? I have no clue about that stuff.

Even if that's true, their Trusted Setup negates it, not to mention how their devs feel about privacy.

I see. I was just asking because that goes far beyond my abilities to understand anonymity in crypto at a core level. That's why I was interested in an answer from someone with much deeper knowledge than I have.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
maursader

Activity: 509

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 07:03:17 AM

Monero is besides XSPEC the only trustable crypto currency on the market right now imho. I personally do not trust the Zcash dev team. There is no proof that the devs have destroyed importang security-relevant information in the first blocks. Furthermore in Monero are all transactions anonymous, so nobody has to justify why he used a anonymous transaction and not a traceable one. There is also no founder reward in Monero. The ZCash devs are rewarded with 10% of every mined Zcash tokens.
Pages: « 1 ... 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 [1778] 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: