Bitcoin Forum
July 28, 2024, 08:21:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 105 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][MOTO] Motocoin  (Read 178188 times)
HunterMinerCrafter

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 06:01:38 PM

* Introduce forced computational complexity scale into map generation, likely by simply requiring many rounds of hashing.  Pros are ease of implementation and a side effect of hampering (current generation) bots.  Cons are the possibility that map generation could quickly become sufficiently difficult that human players without specialized hardware could be unlikely to be able to generate a map in reasonable time, and might never be able to begin playing a map.  (This could be mitigated some by my "N heads" proposal, though.)

How about we scale the both the map dimensions and rounds of hashing to generate seed?  This should make it pretty easy to get a nice 2^n curve, and as a nice bonus hits the bots with a bit of a "double whammy" on performance.  From some guesstimates, I think that the additional hashing rounds would not impact humans for a very very long time when many many hashing rounds would be required.  Scaling the map dimensions as well might cause the motoF function used map rendering to take a performance hit.  (I don't recall offhand if the rendering does this once off and caches the texture, or if it recalculates each frame.  In any case it should probably pre-cache unless we intend the terrain to be dynamic in the future.)
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 01:58:33 PM

TT seems to be converging on this 16 second point, maybe?
psychocoin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:31:29 PM

Market volume is nonexistent (although price seems to be pretty stable around 1000 Satoshis for the past 2 weeks) and discussion seems to have died off. Not a nice sight.

Are any patches being worked on at the moment?

Win up to $200 every hour in BTC and DOGE! Trade MOTO, MIN, and other alts on C-CEX!
Abecent

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:34:40 PM

Pretty interesting Cheesy
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 01:34:16 AM

Market volume is nonexistent

But there is liquidity!  I think everyone is in "wait and see" mode.

(although price seems to be pretty stable around 1000 Satoshis for the past 2 weeks)

Sort of.  A whole $2USD was traded at $0.02994/moto today!  Cheesy

and discussion seems to have died off. Not a nice sight.

Yah, pretty quiet right now...

Are any patches being worked on at the moment?

Yes.  I might even turn one or two into pull requests.

HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:24:16 PM

Market volume is nonexistent

But there is liquidity!  I think everyone is in "wait and see" mode.

(although price seems to be pretty stable around 1000 Satoshis for the past 2 weeks)

Sort of.  A whole $2USD was traded at $0.02994/moto today!  Cheesy

Just got into the office bright and early to discover that MOTO is on the move.  I guess we spoke too soon!  A new high price since the crash was set, volume is #3 on ccex for today, and it looks like the rest of the resistance wall is being nibbled at.

This is shaping up to look like it is probably what I'd call "smart, early money accumulating!"
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:29:56 PM

Wow this has sparked my interest.. which is odd for an Alt besides the bit ones...
Gonna download her and give it a whirl
I quite like the concept.

e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 09:29:02 PM

I hope the patch comes out soon. Also, will the block time start back at 60 seconds? This is going to be interesting with differently sized maps.
Any ETA for the new version?

Another question:
Is it possible to fork this coin with the game still working? Or does the game break?
Because someone should fork the new version and call it play coin.
Actually i'm going to try to do it when the new version comes out. It'll be fun. (unless the game won't work)
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 11:12:57 PM

I hope the patch comes out soon.

So far the official developers still haven't said much, except for "no eta" basically.  We have every indication that they do not yet have any patch code.

I am working on a series of patches to propose.  The first two are to fix various problems with difficulty targets.  One closes the difficulty time warp attack by establishing a difficulty target for hashing rounds during map generation.  The other fixes the TargetTime calculation itself, to better match what is described in the whitepaper.  (Right now it is downright incorrect.  Basically it is not actually using a median of the lookback period.)  We will likely still want to change/replace the target time calculation at some point.

Also, will the block time start back at 60 seconds?

My patch would calculate the correct TargetTime at the hard fork, and go from there.  I am not sure offhand what TT that would be on the real chain.

This is going to be interesting with differently sized maps.

I will not be making a patch to change the map size.  For a lot of reasons I decided against implementing it.  If someone else proposes a good patch for it I will adopt it as a miner.

Any ETA for the new version?

The problems to be solved first are very difficult.  Although I feel that I have a good notion for the couple of solutions that I intend to offer up, I'm not confident that I've done enough testing of them yet.

Another question:
Is it possible to fork this coin with the game still working? Or does the game break?
Because someone should fork the new version and call it play coin.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.  You could fork the coin into a new coin on a new chain, with the same game as the work function.  It is not hard to do "testnet in a box" with most anycoin.

Actually i'm going to try to do it when the new version comes out. It'll be fun. (unless the game won't work)

It would be interesting to replace the work function with a new game, in my opinion.  We need better coins 3.0 not just lots of competing replica like 2.0 were.  Wink
psychocoin

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:06:08 AM

Would it be possible to perhaps have a choice among several games to play to mine? Playing any one of them could win you the block and difficulty would be adjusted on each one of them individually, to ensure that overall/relative difficulty is roughly equal and mining takes equal amount of time on all games. And if players/botters are sticking to one game too much, that one would also be made more difficult (or others made easier) to ensure all games get played.

Now, all we need is to come up with a bunch of fun skill-based games where rounds/maps can be completed in minutes or less and where humans could at least for an extended period of time reasonably compete against AI miners, with every reasonable effort taken to prolong such a period. And past that - it should still be a fun process to come up with AI solutions and watch your bots at work.

A reasonable feature could be an in-built scripting engine into the games and perhaps even a very, very simple and inefficient bot written in it as an example, to encourage others to come up with smarter, more efficient bot logic on their own.

Come on, someone make this happen Smiley

Win up to $200 every hour in BTC and DOGE! Trade MOTO, MIN, and other alts on C-CEX!
p

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:15:03 AM

I play video games really nice!  I am proffesional gamer. That is a coin for me.
WilliamLie2 (OP)

Activity: 204

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 01:49:43 PM

So far the official developers still haven't said much, except for "no eta" basically.  We have every indication that they do not yet have any patch code.

I am working on a series of patches to propose.  The first two are to fix various problems with difficulty targets.  One closes the difficulty time warp attack by establishing a difficulty target for hashing rounds during map generation.  The other fixes the TargetTime calculation itself, to better match what is described in the whitepaper.  (Right now it is downright incorrect.  Basically it is not actually using a median of the lookback period.)  We will likely still want to change/replace the target time calculation at some point.
Yes, I'm not working on anything now but I will look at your patches when they are ready. And what's wrong with my implementation of tt calculation?

I play video games really nice!  I am proffesional gamer. That is a coin for me.
It is for bots.
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 02:32:29 PM

Yes, I'm not working on anything now but I will look at your patches when they are ready. And what's wrong with my implementation of tt calculation?

See https://github.com/motocoin-dev/motocoin/pull/8 for a draft of the patch for calculation.  Although I've run it on testnet for some days I have not yet finished all (much) of the verification I'd like to do on it, so I'd ask you not to plan to merge it just yet. (EDIT: Of course the patch only applies on testnet right now anyway, there is not a fork point set by it.)

This does not fix the difficulty time warp we've been discussing, of course.

I play video games really nice!  I am proffesional gamer. That is a coin for me.
It is for bots.

I think all of the bot miners are also looking forward to being able to mine by hand, as well.  My second patch will scale the rounds of hashing required to generate maps to fix the difficulty time warp attack vector.  As a side effect it will become ever-increasingly difficult for bots to work from a premise of "throw gazillions of bikes down gazillions of maps" and they will, instead, have to transition into better "learners" of various types.

After these patches are both in place, I think that multiple bots will likely be open sourced.  
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 02:54:45 PM

not yet finished all (much) of the verification I'd like to do on it

and of course the very next thing I check I find a big, dumb, obvious deficiency in my patch  Cheesy

I'll fix it up a little further and update the pull req, but you should see the basic idea from the patch as is.  We want to take the average of the center two elements of the sorted list to get the median, not just look at the one block.  (EDIT: to clarify, the retarget as is was introducing excess variance to target time.)

(The change to the control flow is basically because this was re-factored back out of the (EDIT: still in-progress) patch that includes the difficulty time warp fix.)
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 10:43:19 PM

GitHub has a 404 error. Sad
Edit: actually I'm just an idiot. Took off the /pull/8 and it worked. (No surprise there)

Also, would you consider releasing a program that searches for the fall through maps that bots find?
I heard you talking about doing that a few pages back and it seems like a really good idea. PM me if you need testing Wink although I'm sure you won't. Smiley
WilliamLie2 (OP)

Activity: 204

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:58:33 PM

HunterMinerCrafter, your pull request is not available, error 404.
Anyway, I think that Motocoin should be relaunched, probably under different name and without premine. I got a lot of complains (mostly in PM) about premine and now it is mined only by a small number of botowners (1, 2 or how many of them are there). Even if current issues with bots will be fixed people will still be able to mine only a very small portion of what botowners mined. With new coin there will be no need for hurry to make fix as soon as possible, instead it can be thoroughly designed and tested before launch. You can lead this new project.
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 08:11:30 AM

Anyway, I think that Motocoin should be relaunched, probably under different name and without premine. I got a lot of complains (mostly in PM) about premine and now it is mined only by a small number of botowners (1, 2 or how many of them are there). Even if current issues with bots will be fixed people will still be able to mine only a very small portion of what botowners mined. With new coin there will be no need for hurry to make fix as soon as possible, instead it can be thoroughly designed and tested before launch. You can lead this new project.
Yes that is a good idea. The new coin should be named Playcoin as suggested by someone else several pages back.
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:39:53 PM

Also, would you consider releasing a program that searches for the fall through maps that bots find?
I heard you talking about doing that a few pages back and it seems like a really good idea. PM me if you need testing Wink although I'm sure you won't. Smiley

Yes, I may release such human assistance tools, but not until after the known attack vector on the network is closed.
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 01:39:34 PM

Odd, I'm not sure why that would be.  I've closed that pullreq and opened a new one (#9) with an improved patch, but now github is telling me:

One of our mostly harmless robots seems to think you are not a human.
Because of that, it's hidden your profile from the public. If you really are human, please contact support to have your profile reinstated.
We promise we won't require DNA proof of your humanity.

Cute.  I've contacted support, but I'm not sure if you can see my new pull req in the mean time.  You might also be able to see the source patch itself at https://github.com/HunterMinerCrafter/motocoin/commit/e1775b573ee4ca0cd83710375a06da7ee6aed30a

This also fixes another (extremely) unlikely corner case problem that I found.  The final calculated frames had a rather obscure off-by-one bug.  In the (astronomically unlikely) case that an entire lookback period was filled with blocks with the absolute minimum framecount solutions, the targettime would be set to be one frame below that absolute minimum, and the chain would stall.  You can prove this to yourself pretty easily in a testnet by commenting the "bnNew += 1;" in the patch and moving the coin finish coordinates to something like (0, -700000000) and just let your biker fall straight onto the coin, with no inputs, for every block in the adjustment interval. (Which I have patched to be 10 blocks on testnet, for now.)  You'll find that your chain quickly stalls in a state where the best you can hope to do within TargetTime is free-fall to one frame away from the coin.  With the patch adding one to the target time frame count at the end, you will find that you will always hit the coin with 0.004 seconds to spare.  (It is unlikely that this would ever become relevant under normal circumstances, but I figure it is a trivial and low risk change so we might as well go ahead and account for it.)

I am still not entirely happy with this improved retarget, and still agree with DeepCryptoAnalyst that we ultimately need to change the formula to something "more traditional" as we've discussed, but for the immediate term I want to get back to finalizing the second patch to introduce proper difficulty scaling.

Anyway, I think that Motocoin should be relaunched, probably under different name and without premine.

I don't see any good reason for a relaunch.  A hard fork is enough negative press for a coin, I don't know of a relaunched coin that has really thrived after.

I got a lot of complains (mostly in PM) about premine

The premine is sort of "what is done is done" for me, water under bridges.  Most-or-all (!?!?) of those coins were obviously sold into the market panic crash and redistributed at what I consider a very discounted price, in any case.  I don't think it would be wise to screw over a broad set of stakeholders because a few people are complaining privately.  If people are really concerned about premined holdings let's all discuss it publicly, in context, and the network participants can decide for themselves what to do when the fork time comes!  Grin

and now it is mined only by a small number of botowners (1, 2 or how many of them are there).

Aside from myself, I am communicating with two other bot operators.  There is certainly at least a fourth operator who has not disclosed themselves.  I suspect that there are at least 5 or 6 total.  While there are also still the occasional hand-mined blocks, it is uncommon.

However, everyone has certainly had the opportunity by now to bring their own bots online if they wanted to.  Even the most amateurish developers could have had a useful bot together by now, considering that there is very little competition on the "AI involved" itself, so far.  Anyone without the skillset could have hired even the cheapest developers to build a bot for them by now, there has been plenty of time.  Block chains reward participation by design.... if you're unhappy with the distribution of rewards just participate more.  Participate smarter, not harder.  Participate early and participate often.  Ask not what your participation can do for you, but what you can do for your participation.  A participation saved is a.... ok, I'll stop now.

Even if current issues with bots will be fixed people will still be able to mine only a very small portion of what botowners mined.

So, what you're saying is basically that early speculative hashers who were willing to make a larger initial investment in time, effort, money, electricity, their wives' sanity, and other such resources will, in the end, see a larger return?  Problem?  Those of us who leveraged more will have profited more, this is an unavoidable consequence of any market and is not at all unique to the crypto space, let alone motocoin.

From what I understand of them, this is precisely how crypto-currencies are expected to function, and will tend toward failure otherwise.  I think this is a pretty well understood property of cryptovaluation, by now.

The three of us bot operators who are in contact seem to undeniably comprise the majority hashing strength, and we also all seem to agree on the direction to be taken, which is not a relaunch.  Since block-chains operate on the premise that the majority of hashing strength decides outcomes, this would imply that a relaunch is not what is going to happen.  Anyone is welcome to spin up a new fork of moto code with a new genesis block, but this would be a new, derived alt and not a relaunch.  The MOTO chain proper will persist, unless a real reason for it not to is brought forth.

With new coin there will be no need for hurry to make fix as soon as possible, instead it can be thoroughly designed and tested before launch. You can lead this new project.

I'm all for a new and better coin, particularly if it has a game that I would personally be more interested in actually playing (dungeon crawler!) and I'd love to get involved (in any capacity, really!) in such coins in the future (let's talk!).... but I really fail to see any argument for killing MOTO.  This coin is a good coin, and there is no reason to write it off due to struggles that any coin has, coupled with some unique growing pains that arose out of the fact that this is the first real 3.0 crypto.  If anything I see the fact that the coin hasn't totally failed on it's own, despite these problems, as a very very very good sign and take it as reason to not explicitly kill the coin.  (If it still manages to fall over on it's own, that is a different story, but I think that if this were going to happen it would have by now!)

The crux of the matter is that on any network like this we will not only have but will *need* bots.  The root problem, it seems, is that we are forced into a trade-off between either having an insecure network or accepting/embracing (and being forced to "balance against") bot activity.  I have now had two players independently tell me that they are skilled enough at MOTO that before the bots they could basically 51% attack "by hand" during certain times of the day simply because of their high level of skill and low competition during those times.  It is somewhat to be expected that a pure skill based coin would be vulnerable since some "savant" player, well coordinated team, etc, could come along and dominate tx selection putting the chain at risk.  If these rare, brilliantly gifted folk don't have some "automated competition" then if one of them also happens to be a bit unscrupulous or perhaps downright evil the whole network could come crashing down by their hand.

As I've repeated many times now, both here in the thread and in PMs, the humans and bots must coexist and there is simply no other option that works, pragmatically.  If the bots win out entirely, everyone basically loses.  If the humans win out entirely, everyone basically loses.

Don't you just love game theory?
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 08:47:46 PM

F**K MY F**KING WORTHLESS LIFE.
I sell at 0.00001 and then I decide to buy back in at 0.000018.
I transfer my BTC to C-CEX and forget to buy. I remembered just now and THE PRICE IS 0.00005
I'm actually crying right now.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 105 »
  Print  

Jump to: