Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:08:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] CureCoin 2.0 is live - Mandatory Update is available now - DEC 2018  (Read 696200 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 09:43:32 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2017, 10:02:59 PM by QuintLeo

While classing CureCoin (and FoldingCoin and to a much lesser degree GridCoin) as "legal bribes" is technically correct, the term "bribe" has enough negative associations that it's REALLY A BAD IDEA to talk about them that way...
I think that you, like many others, are missing the central, fundamental point that it's not merely payment for being part of the larger project.
CureCoin is a payment for forgoing all other team choices and folding on team 224497, and on team 224497 only. I'm glad the term has "negative associations" because "it's REALLY A BAD IDEA to" pay people to be on team 224497 only.

Which synonym for "bribe" has enough "positive associations" for me to use in it's stead, so's to not offend your delicate sensibilities?  Roll Eyes

I'm personally not that worried about calling it a bribe.
 Too many years spent in 3'd world and even some 2'nd world countries where bribery is the norm and often is perfectly legal.

However, calling it a "reward program for participation in Folding@Home on Team Curecoin" would be a more accurate description that isn't offensive.

In some fundamentals, it's very little different from the 10-year-old EVGA "Folding Bucks" program - you do folding work for their specific team, they give you rewards (though the EVGA program limits how much reward you CAN earn through their program per month and limits where you can use the rewards to spending it on EVGA gear where CureCoin doesn't limit you nearly as much on where/how you can spend the rewards you earn).

In the case of FoldingCoin, the case CAN be made that it offers the potential to be a reward for being part of the larger project, since FoldingCoin isn't team specific (though the requirement to have an entire BLOODY LONG FLDC address as part of your username is a pain) - this "non-team-specific" is what makes it possible to do both CureCoin and FoldingCoin (or EVGA Bucks and FoldingCoin) to earn dual rewards for the same work.

DUAL REWARDS is the only thing that gives Folding any chance to compete with Cryptocoin work in general on profitability for high-end NVidia cards (1070 and UP) over the last year and change I've been aware of CureCoin - CureCoin by itself has never been all that close, and FoldingCoin by itself was worth less than half of Curecoin per unit of folding work done 'till Poloniex delisted Curecoin - and even NOW Foldingcoin isn't as profitable as ZEC much less some of the MORE profitable options for upper range NVidia cards.

Even the dual-rewards option isn't competative with cryptocoin mining on anything AMD at this time (the Fury line makes a LOT more on ZEC mining, or even on ETH mining, than it can manage via folding) - that might be different for VEGA, but I have some doubts on that score given the "leaked specs" I've seen so far for VEGA.

Interesting fact I noticed yesterday - Team Curecoin as of yesterday was responsable for almost 20% of ALL Folding@Home work.
 I couldn't find a figure for the percentage done by FoldingCoin participants that were not on Team Curecoin, but it didn't look like more than 1-2 more percent.
 There is the question of "how much of that work would have still been done by the same folks if CureCoin and FoldingCoin didn't exist", but I suspect over half of it is specifically due to the existance of the 2 coins.

The entirety of MY farm (currently good for about 6.8 MPPD, and will jump to over 8 MPPD once the parts for my next rig get here and I get the system built and up-and-runnning) would NOT be folding at this time or for pretty much any part of the last year, and most of it would never have folded (some of it wouldn't EXIST) if CureCoin and FoldingCoin didn't exist - and none of my contribution to the BOINC project would EVER have happened if GridCoin didn't exist.

Team EVGA was responsable for about 10% more of the work done yesterday, but given commentary I've seen in the EVGA folding forum I suspect a majority of those folders would be folding even without the EVGA Bucks program (just with fewer and older cards since they wouldn't be able to afford to upgrade or add cards as often).

Those "almost 20%" and "about 10%" figures were also valid for all work done in the past month, but I didn't see any way to check for the "last year" equivilent.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shaka256

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 12:45:29 PM

DUAL REWARDS is the only thing that gives Folding any chance to compete with Cryptocoin work in general on profitability for high-end NVidia cards (1070 and UP) over the last year and change I've been aware of CureCoin - CureCoin by itself has never been all that close, and FoldingCoin by itself was worth less than half of Curecoin per unit of folding work done 'till Poloniex delisted Curecoin - and even NOW Foldingcoin isn't as profitable as ZEC much less some of the MORE profitable options for upper range NVidia cards.

Since folding might help to find cures for diseases that maybe could save someday the life of some of your beloved, folding has actually TRIPLE REWARDS!!
ComputerGenie

Activity: 1092
Merit: 552

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 01:32:22 PM

...Interesting fact I noticed yesterday - Team Curecoin as of yesterday was responsable for almost 20% of ALL Folding@Home work.
 I couldn't find a figure for the percentage done by FoldingCoin participants that were not on Team Curecoin, but it didn't look like more than 1-2 more percent.
Not that it has much real probative value, but as near as I can tell with a quick glance (based on points > 0):
441 users got some measure of FLDC in the last week, based on points (lowest earning 37 points)
282 users got some measure of CURE in the last week, based on points (lowest earning 125 points)

FWIW (which probably isn't much more than idle conversation):
Using yesterday's numbers, the "CureCoin + FLDC Merged Folding Profit Calculator", and the 1st random FLDC recipient I came across*...

Folding@home points per day

CureCoin Folding Difficulty / Team PPD

FoldingCoin Difficulty / Team PPD

CureCoins per Day

Folding Coins per Day

CureCoin Price
$0.109USD

FoldingCoin Price
$0.01USD

Earnings from CureCoin
$7.220798047085885USD

Earnings from FoldingCoin
$24.624692844639977USD

Total Earnings
$31.845490891725863USD

* coincidentally, a CureCoin team member -- QQ_ALL_123GAA3DF7HfNrZX8nHQLXj9eE2FX2r5Ug

If you have to ask "why?", you wouldn`t understand my answer.
Always be on the look out, because you never know when you'll be stalked by hit-men that eat nothing but cream cheese....
shaka256

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 06:37:01 PM

Folding@home points per day

Total Earnings
$31.845490891725863USD

So since 2288421 PPD means 4x 1070, what could that user expect with this setup if he mined MORE profitable options instead of folding? Is the delta really worth not helping science?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 11:38:23 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2017, 11:54:30 PM by QuintLeo

More figures for your grist mill - I earned 157 Curecoin yesterday which would equate out to *ABOUT* 5300 FLDC.

Some folks that do FLDC aren't on Team Curecoin, but some Team Curecoin folks don't do FLDC which makes is a bit more complicated than the basic 7470 coins vs 250k coins per day multiplier.
 This works out to about $68 at RIGHT NOW prices for both on Bittrex on 11 x 1070 and a 1080 (my current loadout for my Folding rigs).

Those same cards would have made about $72 working DGB-Skein or DGB-Groestl, or would have been about $60 working ETH or ZEC (profitability on those on a 1070 is pretty much dead even right now).

Had I sold earlier in the day, I think FLDC was high enough to get that total to almost $80 - but I don't HAVE that FLDC for a few more days, no telling where the price will be by the time I DO have the coin available for sale.

(edit - FLDC did a very rare "right after distribution" spike, so I actually made MORE for once).

If you can afford to hold Curecoin and Foldingcoin for the spikes, you can probably make MORE on high-end NVidia cards via dual-payment folding then via cryptocoin mining right now - but it's somewhat riskier given FLDC only pays out once a month, and the price usually dumps right before or right at the start of the payout.

Worst case, though, if the current price ranges hold and another 100M PPD don't join the team, it should be close - and it's close enough I can AFFORD to fold for the time being. 8-)

BTW - for some of us it's not "Triple Payout", it's Quadruple - "bragging rights" are in there somewhere. 9-)

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
ComputerGenie

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 12:10:37 PM

... This works out to about $68 at RIGHT NOW prices for both on Bittrex on 11 x 1070 and a 1080 (my current loadout for my Folding rigs).

Those same cards would have made about $72 working DGB-Skein or DGB-Groestl, or would have been about $60 working ETH or ZEC (profitability on those on a 1070 is pretty much dead even right now).

Had I sold earlier in the day, I think FLDC was high enough to get that total to almost $80... BTW - for some of us it's not "Triple Payout", it's Quadruple - "bragging rights" are in there somewhere. 9-)
With the right profit-switching set up on my solo pool (and 3 1080s), I could average ~$70 p/week more by mining instead of folding*. It's more coding than most are willing to endure, or capable of doing, but it's done and is still an option. I'm sure it doesn't seem like it to most people that I'd think this way, but, imo, the altruistic and scientific benefits balance the equation at any difference under 25%.

*using numbers from before the 1080 Ti was released - mining would be even higher now, but I don't have the actual numbers since I no longer GPU mine

Always be on the look out, because you never know when you'll be stalked by hit-men that eat nothing but cream cheese....
shaka256

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 10:08:19 PM

BTW - for some of us it's not "Triple Payout", it's Quadruple - "bragging rights" are in there somewhere. 9-)

Sure, CureCoin is THE Braggingcoin Cheesy

BTW - for some of us (those who hold their CURE) it's not "Quadruple Payout" it's Quintuple as the future SigmaX coin will be distributed as a reward for holding CURE (if I remember well).
east-wrest

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 08:46:43 PM

BTW - for some of us (those who hold their CURE) it's not "Quadruple Payout" it's Quintuple as the future SigmaX coin will be distributed as a reward for holding CURE (if I remember well).

From what I understand, the "future SigmaX coin" (aka Curecoin 2.0) is similar to the current PoS system that is in place now with 1.X (one that Genie is upset about because it was taken out of the SHA allocation).
ComputerGenie

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 09:18:56 PM

...one that Genie is upset about because it was taken out of the SHA allocation
I'm not "upset" about any such thing. If I were to use the word upset, I'd say that I find it upsetting that the OP is fallacious in the depiction of the "participation" role that ASICs can play in CureCoin.
Most specifically if there hasn't been any block in 40 minutes and the next block is PoS, and PoS difficulty is cut in half, it will still increase the PoW difficulty (which is only lowered by a long PoW block average time, not overall average block time of the network).

east-wrest

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 09:32:51 PM

...one that Genie is upset about because it was taken out of the SHA allocation
I'm not "upset" about any such thing. If I were to use the word upset, I'd say that I find it upsetting that the OP is fallacious in the depiction of the "participation" role that ASICs can play in CureCoin.
Most specifically if there hasn't been any block in 40 minutes and the next block is PoS, and PoS difficulty is cut in half, it will still increase the PoW difficulty (which is only lowered by a long PoW block average time, not overall average block time of the network).

IMO, I agree with you, and it shouldn't work that way. But, given that the project has been around for a while, it is highly unlikely there will be any significant changes to address underlying characteristics like this until the launch of 2.0. Given that the point of the project is to increase the contributions to Folding@Home, I think the current system is designed well to support rewarding Folding@Home contributors and currency holders. Less emphasis on rewarding contributors would mean lower rates of contribution. Less emphasis on rewarding PoS would mean a lower currency valuation. Beyond a certain threshold, there would be no additional value to the project as a whole in support greater rewards for miners/ASICs.
ComputerGenie

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 10:00:16 PM

...I think the current system is designed well to support rewarding Folding@Home contributors...
Agreed, CureCoin is literally the difference between me folding and mining some random dumpcoin.

shaka256

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 10:02:45 PM

From what I understand, the "future SigmaX coin" (aka Curecoin 2.0) is similar to the current PoS system that is in place now with 1.X (one that Genie is upset about because it was taken out of the SHA allocation).

Actually, unless things have changed, there were supposed to be 2 different coins: CC2.0 which would replace CC1.0 and remove SHA256D PoW and SigmaX which would keep the PoW.
east-wrest

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 10:20:38 PM

...I think the current system is designed well to support rewarding Folding@Home contributors...
Agreed, CureCoin is literally the difference between me folding and mining some random dumpcoin.

Thank you for your contribution.  Smiley

Actually, unless things have changed, there were supposed to be 2 different coins: CC2.0 which would replace CC1.0 and remove SHA256D PoW and SigmaX which would keep the PoW.

I understand SigmaX will likely never actually disappear, but wouldn't the shift to 2.0 almost eliminate any market for 1.0 and thus remove any incentive to participate in SigmaX functions?
shaka256

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 11:07:51 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2017, 11:19:18 PM by shaka256

I understand SigmaX will likely never actually disappear, but wouldn't the shift to 2.0 almost eliminate any market for 1.0 and thus remove any incentive to participate in SigmaX functions?

If my memory is good:
  • CC2.0 will be the new coin (quantum computing safe, without PoW) that will be distributed for Folding
  • SigmaX is a new coin, (quantum computing safe, with PoW), and its distribution would be (probably among others) related to holding (i.e. not dumping) CURE

But this was the idea over one year ago. Since then it might have evolved to take into account new ideas the Devs had (Proof of Proof etc.).

At some point, my intuition was that the Devs want to create an ecosystem like Counterparty so that any coin can take advantage of quantum computing safety, Proof of Proof etc. and having SigmaX be the equivalent of XCP. But that's only my speculations...
east-wrest

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 11:19:27 PM

If my memory is good:
  • CC2.0 will be the new coin (quantum computing safe, without PoW) that will be distributed for Folding
  • SigmaX is a new coin, (quantum computing safe, with PoW), and its distribution would be (probably among others) related to holding (i.e. not dumping) CURE

But this was the idea over one year ago. Since then it might have evolved to take into account new ideas the Devs had (Proof of Proof etc.).

Interesting. I'll have to get some clarification on this.
wuffy68

Activity: 13
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 02:44:13 AM

While classing CureCoin (and FoldingCoin and to a much lesser degree GridCoin) as "legal bribes" is technically correct, the term "bribe" has enough negative associations that it's REALLY A BAD IDEA to talk about them that way...
I think that you, like many others, are missing the central, fundamental point that it's not merely payment for being part of the larger project.
CureCoin is a payment for forgoing all other team choices and folding on team 224497, and on team 224497 only. I'm glad the term has "negative associations" because "it's REALLY A BAD IDEA to" pay people to be on team 224497 only.

Which synonym for "bribe" has enough "positive associations" for me to use in it's stead, so's to not offend your delicate sensibilities? Smiley

Allowing any account to earn CURE was a consideration early on in the project. FLDC gets you halfway there - you could earn FLDC while folding for any team; however you still have to create a new username to do it. CureCoin allowed you to keep your legacy name (probably a key reason why PS3EdOlkkola folds for the Curecoin Team, but does not want to interrupt his record, or legacy).

To complicate things, multiple users can fold for multiple teams using the same username but different passkeys (and Curecoin has no visibility into member's secret passkeys). It would require a secondary layer of management to track which username folds for Curecoin, and which does not (see username jim.gluftsis as an example).

from Bruce on FoldingForum.org: 'In the early days, there was no requirement that the username be unique. You might find several people contributing points to the same account if you used a common account name, like "John".'

Another argument against allowing anyone from any team to earn CURE were concerns by the larger folding community; many expressing concern it would be unfair to have mixed teams (where some are folding for CURE, and others folding on a purely philanthropic basis - with zero interest in ever being compensated). It could curtail the sense of competition in Chimp Challenges and equipment give-away promos designed to spur participation on other teams. Ironically, some of the loudest voices critical of Curecoin's concept were coming from the EVGA community back in 2013-2014. What are your thoughts on the successful Bucks incentive program? Although it's true you can get a discount on an EVGA GPU at full price on EVGA's company website, you could instead cash in some CURE and purchase a GPU for 20% off at MicroCenter, or buy it for Bitcoin on Newegg.

BTW, over 80% of CureCoin's social media outreach using the hashtags #foldingathome and #IAmOneInAMillion refer potential contributors to Folding@home web pages - not Curecoin. Of course we hope when new participants chose a team, they investigate our value proposition in the process.

cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 05:12:05 PM

If my memory is good:

Interesting. I'll have to get some clarification on this.

Where is volk?  Is this project actually developing or is it not going anywhere? This should have been a top 20 crypto project. It has been left to become a laughing stock in terms of investment compared to other projects here.

When is the snapshot for SigmaX is there any sigmaX?
This has been the slowest development of all the projects I have followed.

Burninj
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 05:27:26 PM

Where is volk?  Is this project actually developing or is it not going anywhere? This should have been a top 20 crypto project. It has been left to become a laughing stock in terms of investment compared to other projects here.

top 5 at least...
shaka256

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 08:42:58 PM

Where is volk?  Is this project actually developing or is it not going anywhere? This should have been a top 20 crypto project. It has been left to become a laughing stock in terms of investment compared to other projects here.

According to FoldingCoin's June public recap where part of Curecoin team participated, there are now 10 developers working on Curecoin.
I guess they finally understood the potential of their coin and accepted to delegate the development of parts of it to more people.
Good news in other words.
ComputerGenie

Retired IRCX God

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 08:51:22 PM

According to FoldingCoin's June public recap where part of Curecoin team participated, there are now 10 developers working on Curecoin.
I guess they finally understood the potential of their coin and accepted to delegate the development of parts of it to more people.
Good news in other words.
I hope, ffs, that it isn't the same folks that have been "working on" FoldingCoin.  Undecided

Pages: « 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 »
  Print  

Jump to: