Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:39:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
sonoIO

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 01:33:07 PM

Panem et Circensus

Generally, cannot escape the feeling that strongest effect of many altcoins is just blunting, and will not probably change for a while as it achieves something for more than one particular interest.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinsolidation

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 01:38:36 PM

Panem et Circensus

Generally, cannot escape the feeling that strongest effect of many altcoins is just blunting, and will not probably change for a while as it achieves something for more than one particular interest.

I agree wholeheartedly. Well said.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:16:18 PM

Does anyone actually maintain an alt-coin index that provides some detail content on the top 20 alt coins. Things like:

developer strength - not just number of posts but strength of the individuals and past accomplishments, commitment level
technology factors - not just a guess but some details
momentum indicators - volume, coins mined per day, hash rate, hashrate moving averages, new media links per week/month
Scam indicator - premine, scammy founders, copied technology, pump and dump precedent
Mining method and future

Just too much information and too distributed, and for the average crytpo speculator it seems impossible to do anything but guess right now.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:20:18 PM

Does anyone actually maintain an alt-coin index that provides some detail content on the top 20 alt coins. Things like:

developer strength - not just number of posts but strength of the individuals and past accomplishments, commitment level
momentum indicators - volume, coins mined per day, hash rate, hashrate moving averages, new media links per week/month
Scam indicator - premine, scammy founders, copied technology, pump and dump precedent
Mining method and future

Just too much information and too distributed, and for the average crytpo speculator it seems impossible to do anything but guess right now.

+1.

If you would do this (and do it good), in 3 months you would be as famous as me!

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
sonoIO

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:22:11 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 02:43:52 PM by sonoIO

^efficiency is the name of the game. More specifically, efficient channeling of knowledge - gathering and distribution of it. And it's even ecologically desirable Wink.

EDIT: would be nice if "fair price" and corruption are defined in terms of entropy production rate and excess of it   Cheesy
Then, i suppose that corruption would be measurable (under some circumstances) by price increase from the fair one. But i may be wrong  Cool
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:43:53 PM

I propose to call rpietila: "Monero Jesus".

Because:

- it's: good, cheap marketing - every journalist and average citizen understands

- builds on "Bitcoin Jesus" good image/awareness level/fame

- the "Jesus"-connection helps people to understand what Monero is (a Crypto-Currency, that is a "good/noteworthy" successor/alternative to Bitcoin) & gets them intrested

- rpietila earned "the title"/some recognition for his good, hard and comprehensive for XMR

- he is also a great choice IMHO, because I think we would represent the coin and community very well and act/work adequate and professional with journalists/PR people/industry professionals/... or whoever want to get in contact with the Monero community or relevant individuals
(he is a good choice, because he is not nerdy, has a solid proven Bitcoin track record, is trusted and respected and gives analytic, justified, honest opinions, ...)

- let's have good (lead) Monero Evangelist, chosen by us (the community), now - before some lame bad actors declare themselves to Monero experts and harm the coin with lame interviews or bad TV appearance ...

Discuss!!!??!?!?!?
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 02:55:31 PM

Risto Pietila, in my experience and recollection of him the past two years, has always stood to be a character of utmost integrity in my eyes, for what it's worth. While "Jesus" can be interpreted or perceived as dogmatic, Mr. Pietila is a pretty swell guy and to my limited knowledge, acts in his communities' best interests, i.e. I've never witnessed him misleadingly manipulate others but rather uses the gifts the Universe has given him to do what he does best for some ideal of "better".
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:18:16 PM

Risto Pietila, in my experience and recollection of him the past two years, has always stood to be a character of utmost integrity in my eyes, for what it's worth. While "Jesus" can be interpreted or perceived as dogmatic, Mr. Pietila is a pretty swell guy and to my limited knowledge, acts in his communities' best interests, i.e. I've never witnessed him misleadingly manipulate others but rather uses the gifts the Universe has given him to do what he does best for some ideal of "better".

Even the best intentions can be caustic towards scaling. Rpietila believes in a top-down world organized by power-law distribution of capital. His group grew the cryptocrypt forum to 400 members in several months specifically around this model for the world. Hope he can scale Monero to more than 400 users in several months.

Selling crypto-currency to speculators here on this forum is only a small part of scaling a money for the world. It is not a totally unimportant aspect, but it is not sufficient by itself.

I will refrain from posting in this thread. Someone messaged me to read the "Monero Jesus" comment.

As far as I know, Risto is a very upstanding member of society and believes he is doing his best to better mankind. I do not disparage his intentions. He is also my friend before, but the situation might be (?) a bit strained at the moment, because I know programming and market scaling to non-investor markets. So we will not naturally necessarily see each other's viewpoint at this time. Although I can't say we've had any arguments lately. And I did not come to his thread to end up in fight. I simply wanted to analyze the factual situation of the altcoins as best I can from my knowledge and perspective.

I do think I should stay out this discussion now. I do wish everyone the best, including all the developers of the various coins.

God bless all of you.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:28:23 PM

I do think I should stay out this discussion now. I do wish everyone the best, including all the developers of the various coins.

God bless all of you.

Why do you think you should stay out of this discussion or any other? I appreciate your posts, however it would be nice if you put forth your ideas for a cryptocurrency that can scale, so that we can begin to put those ideas into code and even into Moneo itself.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:28:52 PM

So is the future of Bitcoin either stagnation or civil war? There seem to be quite a few issues that appear to completely divide people. I'm not trying to be hyperbolic here, but I can't imagine anything but a 'war' resulting from any major change to Bitcoin that would require a hard fork. Minor issues get blown out of proportion already.

I think FIAT will still exists pretty much forever as in as long as we have governments, because fiats inherent to goverments, but people is free to put 50% in BTC and 50% in FIAT, duality is everything under uncertain situations.

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 03:29:52 PM

Even the best intentions can be caustic towards scaling. Rpietila believes in a top-down world organized by power-law distribution of capital. His group grew the cryptocrypt forum to 400 members in several months specifically around this model for the world. Hope he can scale Monero to more than 400 users in several months.

Selling crypto-currency to speculators here on this forum is only a small part of scaling a money for the world. It is not a totally unimportant aspect, but it is not sufficient by itself.

I will refrain from posting in this thread. Someone messaged me to read the "Monero Jesus" comment.

As far as I know, Risto is a very upstanding member of society and believes he is doing his best to better mankind. I do not disparage his intentions. He is also my friend before, but the situation might be (?) a bit strained at the moment, because I know programming and market scaling to non-investor markets. So we will not naturally necessarily see each other's viewpoint at this time. Although I can't say we've had any arguments lately. And I did not come to his thread to end up in fight. I simply wanted to analyze the factual situation of the altcoins as best I can from my knowledge and perspective.

God bless all of you.

Echoed. The community would do very well to learn from your independent thinking and heed your analyses.

Thank you for standing stalwartly and helping the community in your own away, sir.

God bless all of you.

Why do you think you should stay out of this discussion or any other? I appreciate your posts, however it would be nice if you put forth your ideas for a cryptocurrency that can scale, so that we can begin to put those ideas into code and even into Moneo itself.
For different individuals, perhaps some forms of contribution are more efficient than others e.g. action over posting on a forum, in AnonyMint's case.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:29:58 PM

In regards to Monero and TOR, it's clear at least to me now that TOR is shit and apparently the privacy as been broken or something, I don't really know because im not a technical person and never used it but that's what i've read, so Monero is going to use i2p so here you have bigger reasons to bet on Monero and forget the rest of shitty anon coins.

iourzzz

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:40:26 PM

Mining method and future

For me this compilation even not comprehensive on everything mentioned subject still was very useful to understand at least something:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=a_massive_investigation_of_instamines_and_fastmines_for_the_top_alt_coins
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:53:58 PM

Opinions on Cryptonite, the first coin implementing mini-blockchain? Whitepaper here.

Interesting that someone is trying to create something new for a change, but I feel like the PoW algo selection will make it BCN2 or BBR2 as there is/will be a private mining group with GPU miners whereas there's no hope of mining with a high-end desktop CPU. Maybe this won't be an issue as only half of the coins will be mined within the first 10 years, and you can't really mine with a 1 video card desktop anything anyway these days? Another coin forking from Cryptonite with an established PoW algo and miners and pools ready at launch could steal its thunder though, similar to BCN vs XMR.
sonoIO

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:56:52 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 04:12:13 PM by sonoIO

Could not agree more. I just might add explicitly that generally marketing through BTC awared channels may be insufficient for larger network effect.

Regarding rest of the post, i think that most enjoy reading your posts in which there are no names callings to the respectable and constructive members of the community. Personally, as i do not understand at least 40% of your posts Smiley i noticed that hyper-production of the posts does not help me to learn quickly, or even sometimes to catch your point without understanding all the details. But i guess you are addressing to the knowledgeable part of the Cryptoland
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:15:10 PM

God bless all of you.

Hahaha, no.
sonoIO

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:59:43 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2014, 12:10:59 AM by sonoIO

Opinions on Cryptonite, the first coin implementing mini-blockchain? Whitepaper here.

Interesting that someone is trying to create something new for a change, but I feel like the PoW algo selection will make it BCN2 or BBR2 as there is/will be a private mining group with GPU miners whereas there's no hope of mining with a high-end desktop CPU. Maybe this won't be an issue as only half of the coins will be mined within the first 10 years, and you can't really mine with a 1 video card desktop anything anyway these days? Another coin forking from Cryptonite with an established PoW algo and miners and pools ready at launch could steal its thunder though, similar to BCN vs XMR.

As i'm not cryptoanithing i will not give any valid opinion on Cryptonite, but i'll note that mining BBR is still pretty much egalitarian. BBR got optimized GPU miners relatively early in it's life and algo runs within same order of magnitude ond GPU and CPU, so pretty much everyone with comp connected on the Internet is still in the game. Also, i'll note that BBR situation from a month ago, with one acknowledged private GPU miner, only influenced the priority list of BBR development, and got it in the situation it is now – with spectrum of opensource miners (kudos to anyone contributed to this, all our grandchildren just may be thankful to U. Most kudos to those behind GNU initiative who made everything else possible). So it just might be that Christian in the end gave several benefits to the project. I still hope he opensources his CUDA miner though. Aditionally, BBR mining seems to develop in very decentralized direction.

If i had to say something about Cryptonite situation i would say that it is mined on the order of 0.1%, so if playground levels up in few days or weeks any scenario is still possible.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 05:21:25 PM

My version:

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 05:45:58 PM

Mining method and future

For me this compilation even not comprehensive on everything mentioned subject still was very useful to understand at least something:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=a_massive_investigation_of_instamines_and_fastmines_for_the_top_alt_coins

That's a good one.

My short version:

- BTC is a good coin. Hold it.

- Of the cryptonote coins, only one has realistic chance of winning - the first fair launch: XMR. Buy it.

- Of the 2.0 "coins". They are actually startup stocks. Do your DD. I haven't bought any, for the lack of reason to buy.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 06:04:05 PM

- XC does not use Github for development. Dan temporarily put some early XC code into Github to refute FUD-claims that it was a Fedora clone. The code was subjected to peer review, clearing the allegations, and then deleted.

- XC open-sources its code on a delayed timeline. Recently XC released its Rev 1 mixer.

- XC's Team have made their identities public and thus put their reputations at stake. If you think they're shady, you'll need to substantiate your view, because the evidence here is to the contrary.

- Cachecoin is a project of Jasinlee's, and Jasin is an XC developer. Cachecoin is in active development, none of the premine has been dumped there is no premine, and its future concerns PoBC, which is part of how XC will run on mobile phones.

- XC's ATM integration is not related to hiring anyone. The first two members of the incipient XC Foundation are involved in ATMs. As they're Foundation members they're not being paid. So that part of your statement is ill-informed conjecture.

- XC's premine is necessary to fund sustained development. You're welcome to disagree, but I fail to see how it constitutes something suspicious.
    (a) It can't be spent unaccountably, since people are always watching it.
    (b) It's more candid than an instamine and
    (c) it doesn't require taking other people's money upfront like an IPO.
    I'm open to discussion on this last point, but I don't think that it can be used to substantiate claims of XC being suspicious without substantial further argument as to why this might be the case.

That a great summery!  I hlod some XC, but only a token amount.

Metcalfe is an ad-hoc meshtech guru, but his crypto skills aren't anything special.  And one does not simply anon a coin, or it would have been done already.

Being closed source, even for a little while, is not acceptable and shows the XC paradigm and approach are flawed.

The premine is also an issue.  If (highly successful) Monero can be 100% open source and 0% premined, XC's excuses are invalid.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: