Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:03:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Minerals development - top priority
E-sports Betting services + wallet betting features - 254 (48.7%)
Anonymity development - 135 (25.9%)
Multipool further development - 28 (5.4%)
SC2 tournaments - 56 (10.7%)
Wallet improvements (chat, price, better design) - 49 (9.4%)
Total Voters: 522

Pages: « 1 ... 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 [405] 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][MIN] Minerals - POS | Developing own anon solution |  (Read 742147 times)
Gambiman

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:36:43 PM

Hey all,
Just wanted to swing by and remind everyone to encrypt your wallets. I downloaded the zipcoin wallet a couple of days ago to see if they actually had "anon" transactions working (which surprise surprise they didnt) and a day later my Minerals wallet and BTC wallet had been totally cleaned out.
I ended up finding the virus, it came from the Zipcoin wallet.
Unfortunately I had not encrypted my wallets and they made off with about 2.2BTC worth of BTC and MIN. I managed to trace the transactions, heres  where some of the MIN are currently sitting http://explorer.minerals.pro/address/MH7pdVSr4Pr2uce12ChBNsqAjYhzGpccib

Thought Id let you all know and to appreciate how much more honest the Minerals team is compared to the vast majority of scam devs out there.

Wow man I'm really sorry to hear that!!  As a race, we do the most disgusting things to each other.  The one thing I can't stand in the crypto world is all the theft and scams being so abound.  You must be really kicking yourself over that one too, makes it all that much worse.  I have encrypted since my very first crypto wallet, keep multiple copies of all my wallets on numerous USB drives and now only run my staking wallets on a spare PC and do my testing and playing on my main.  I feel more protected this way as well because if I happen to download something bad on my main pc, it can't access my wallets on my spare.

Gotta be careful with those pass phrases too, ideally you want to use a 15 random character for your PP so it cannot be cracked easily.  This leaves you with a real problem however if you lose that password, this has happened to me once.  I got lucky and only lost a handful of coins as I had most of the pass phrase......one digit was somehow missing where I had it logged.  Since then, I now keep 2 copies of all my pass phrases as well.  I have been saved once with that backup of my pass phrases too, was in the main list and when copying the pass somehow transposed a few characters, easy to do sometimes when copying and pasting.

It is somewhat ridiculous the efforts we must go to protect our coins:-)

Thanks for the tips. Yep in hindsight I should have done these things but I guess its a case of 'It wont happen to me' Thats why Im here just to remind people about backing up your files

I feel you man, last week I got robbed of all my RVC as well. one morning wallet balance was 0.00... can't even find a trace of the transaction ! not much something like 0,1 btc at the time but it was just before the big spike I was waiting for to sell:/ oh well lesson learned now and I encrypted all my wallets.

But I have questions :
If I unlock wallet for staking, is it still protected?

What does it change to make a backup of the wallet.dat? As I assume it is the adress that got emptied, you are saying that after a robbery all I have to do would be copying the backup in the appdata folder and the coin would come back? Something I don't understand here.

Trade markets with Bitcoins ! Including Forex, Commodities and Stocks SimpleFX
Transfer Money accross borders with so little fee that it is silly !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gambiman

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:37:32 PM

So it looks like ESC has been confirmed a scam, just as suspected. Saw that coming a mile away. Hope nobody got burned to bad chasing that one.

What makes you say that?

Vampiro4L

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 02:05:22 PM

Dev revealed that he bought the lol coin betting site, so to me that says he can't actually develop the stuff hisself. Plus the thread is locked now.
TheFridge

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 02:16:13 PM

Hey all,
Just wanted to swing by and remind everyone to encrypt your wallets. I downloaded the zipcoin wallet a couple of days ago to see if they actually had "anon" transactions working (which surprise surprise they didnt) and a day later my Minerals wallet and BTC wallet had been totally cleaned out.
Unfortunately I had not encrypted my wallets and they made off with about 2.2BTC worth of BTC and MIN. I managed to trace the transactions, heres  where some of the MIN are currently sitting http://explorer.minerals.pro/address/MH7pdVSr4Pr2uce12ChBNsqAjYhzGpccib

Thought Id let you all know and to appreciate how much more honest the Minerals team is compared to the vast majority of scam devs out there.

Wow man I'm really sorry to hear that!!  As a race, we do the most disgusting things to each other.  The one thing I can't stand in the crypto world is all the theft and scams being so abound.  You must be really kicking yourself over that one too, makes it all that much worse.  I have encrypted since my very first crypto wallet, keep multiple copies of all my wallets on numerous USB drives and now only run my staking wallets on a spare PC and do my testing and playing on my main.  I feel more protected this way as well because if I happen to download something bad on my main pc, it can't access my wallets on my spare.

Gotta be careful with those pass phrases too, ideally you want to use a 15 random character for your PP so it cannot be cracked easily.  This leaves you with a real problem however if you lose that password, this has happened to me once.  I got lucky and only lost a handful of coins as I had most of the pass phrase......one digit was somehow missing where I had it logged.  Since then, I now keep 2 copies of all my pass phrases as well.  I have been saved once with that backup of my pass phrases too, was in the main list and when copying the pass somehow transposed a few characters, easy to do sometimes when copying and pasting.

Thanks for the tips. Yep in hindsight I should have done these things but I guess its a case of 'It wont happen to me' Thats why Im here just to remind people about backing up your files

I feel you man, last week I got robbed of all my RVC as well. one morning wallet balance was 0.00... can't even find a trace of the transaction ! not much something like 0,1 btc at the time but it was just before the big spike I was waiting for to sell:/ oh well lesson learned now and I encrypted all my wallets.

But I have questions :

What does it change to make a backup of the wallet.dat? As I assume it is the adress that got emptied, you are saying that after a robbery all I have to do would be copying the backup in the appdata folder and the coin would come back? Something I don't understand here.

If the keys to the wallet are encrypted then the hacker does not have access to the coins. So he can take the wallet.dat file but wont be able to do anything to it without the keys. But in my case he stole the wallet.dat then imported the unencrypted keys into blockchain.info which in turn makes it look like the transaction was coming from me.
So yes, keep a copy of the wallet.dat file but make sure it is encrypted so even if the wallet.dat is stolen then they cant do anything to it.

Just for reference have you still got the original revocoin folder in the %appdata% folder? Because what the hack does is renames the original wallet.dat to revocoin.dat and then the hacker steals the revocoin.dat. I was chatting to someone about this earlier and they noticed in their vertcoin %appdata folder there was a file called vertcoin.dat. He changed the name of the file to wallet.dat and hey presto the coins were back. Seems the virus changed the wallet file but the hacker didnt take the file.
Worth a shot to check if you ask me.
Bojcha

Activity: 848
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 02:56:35 PM

How can we be tired of the term anon when no coin has really perfected it yet.  Anon is in play until a developer knocks it out of the park.  No coin has anon 100% functional without some kind of growing pain.

XCurrency - Probably the best of the bunch, but it's still not 100% ready. 
Darkcoin - Not fully functional yet
All Cryptonotes  - Blockchain bloat so not scallable and other crap.
All others - Either some centralized mixer or vaporware.
Pikachu12

Activity: 435

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 04:33:46 PM

Minerals price } ESC SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON. Our time will come Smiley Keep your good work team!

MINERALS LEADER IN Esports!
shanecoins

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 04:41:20 PM

Minerals price } ESC SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON. Our time will come Smiley Keep your good work team!

MINERALS LEADER IN Esports!
+1  Smiley
Gambiman

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 05:38:15 PM

Hey all,

But I have questions :

If the keys to the wallet are encrypted then the hacker does not have access to the coins. So he can take the wallet.dat file but wont be able to do anything to it without the keys. But in my case he stole the wallet.dat then imported the unencrypted keys into blockchain.info which in turn makes it look like the transaction was coming from me.
So yes, keep a copy of the wallet.dat file but make sure it is encrypted so even if the wallet.dat is stolen then they cant do anything to it.

Just for reference have you still got the original revocoin folder in the %appdata% folder? Because what the hack does is renames the original wallet.dat to revocoin.dat and then the hacker steals the revocoin.dat. I was chatting to someone about this earlier and they noticed in their vertcoin %appdata folder there was a file called vertcoin.dat. He changed the name of the file to wallet.dat and hey presto the coins were back. Seems the virus changed the wallet file but the hacker didnt take the file.
Worth a shot to check if you ask me.

Yeah I checked but it is still wallet.dat. But what is weird is that there was only the revocoin that disappeared. So if a hacker had access to my computer, he would have stolen all my other coins wallets right?
I think what happened is I posted my wallet adress on the thread and the next day the coins were gone. Could it be possible for him to gain access to the wallet with the public key? I can't even find a trace of transaction on the block explorer. Maybe i'm not using it right tho.

So, if I understand right, if I make a backup of the encrypted wallet, the hacker who stole the file could not access the coin, giving me the time to use the backup and move the coins. Whereas if the wallet is not encrypted he can access coins even if I have a backup is that right? Because once the wallet is emptied, even my backups are of no use?

iaminitnow06

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 05:56:45 PM

So, if I understand right, if I make a backup of the encrypted wallet, the hacker who stole the file could not access the coin, giving me the time to use the backup and move the coins. Whereas if the wallet is not encrypted he can access coins even if I have a backup is that right? Because once the wallet is emptied, even my backups are of no use?
True. Also try to keep mulitple wallet.dat file in your spare hard disks or pendrives. This will help you if your pc or lappy dies.

NEM(NEW ECONOMY MOVEMENT) - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=654845.0 | http://forum.nemcoin.com/ | http://altnemo.com/
NBOCOW-D45UHF-A7CJUX-HK7PD3-KUEXEP-PMECIZ-BJFP
MineralsPR

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

CraigsCoin Developer

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 06:13:20 PM

BTW, the other day someone posted a huge dumped during/after the SC2 tournament, wasn't it the prize money being converted to USD (MIN -> BTC -> USD) ?

No, it was not. We didn`t even receive most of the minerals from players. So no - we are not that stupid Smiley We payed players with PayPal. All payments are done btw.

MineralsPR

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

CraigsCoin Developer

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 06:16:08 PM

I just figured MIN would be interested in it, but it they aren't, I'll proceed with the series regardless as I see fit.

They are. Just do it. They wanted someone to organise stuff, you're going to do it, so what's the problem?
He wants someone as "skilled" as crayon...

Crayon has proven he is capable of setting things in motion. So yes - as skilled as him - don`t see why we want something less? If you want to organize things - okay - we make you an instance of the betting service - donate some 200$ worth of Minerals and support you. But we simply can't handle it ourselves.

Hoshimaru

Activity: 411

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 06:49:26 PM

Hey guys,

I think betting & crypto is starting to heat up!

As usually, as there's only "reality" garbage on TV and the news only shows poverty, misery and suffering of innocents caused by sick psychopath politicians and banksters (Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, Gaza, Islamic State, Mali,...) with corpses and bombs falling on everything, I try to look up more interesting and informative things on Youtube.

So I came across today's Keiser Report (but that's thx to Twitter) and the second part of the episode is about gambling and crypto currency and how the Isle of Man wants to be a trendsetter in that market.

You can watch it here (skip the first half if you don't like the topics Stacy brings up) >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0uF9lriRYY

And then, there was this documentary about South Korea. It gives a small hint on how big e-Sports is over there, just a short interview/comment. It starts around the 37th minute >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqb5DdMnbPA

I think that once the redesign and/or anon (whatever you guys decide Smiley) is done, it might be time to think about public relations and marketing.

I don't expect us to hire marketing professionals, but we might be able to come up with a nice information booklet or poster/flyer. A promo video? Maybe someone in here has a degree in computer science/design/user interfacing and can work on a proposition or mock-ups for easy to install and easy to use wallet? From what I saw on the chat during the invitational, quite a lot of people had issues with the installation, finding their addresses, the long time to sync and things like that. I can all be improved, so no one gives up on using Minerals (there was one like that on Monday in the chat). And yes, for some people installing something that's not coming out of an "App Store" is quite a challenge.

Any native Koreans here? They might want to translate the wallet and website (official and betting service) and attract South-Korean gamers? Don't aim for the stars, but get us known with the casual gamers. They'll spread the information about Minerals quick enough if it's easy to use and acquire.

Maybe someone knows Moolah personally on IRC? Negotiating for a fiat<->minerals slot, which could be included in the wallet using the API/QT's built-in web-engine)

I'm more than willing to help out with these thing, but I need lots of time for getting back up-to-date if not learn from scratch again first. I studied computer science, graduated in 2003 but never got a real IT job (lots of IT companies closing and massive layoffs) and went back to uni (Japanese/economics) and even now, do things complete unrelated to my studies (airline/finance).

Anyway... just tell me if I'm ranting or lost my connection to reality Cheesy
Pikachu12

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 06:57:04 PM

NFL BETTING NOW Cheesy
Pikachu12

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:13:21 PM

We are about to become the leader in the Esports industry!!!!
Look at ESC price and Min Cheesy Gogoggoogogooo!
ZacharyComstock

Activity: 210
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 07:25:07 PM

NFL BETTING NOW Cheesy

where? get me the link please!

Pikachu12

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:28:34 PM

NFL BETTING NOW Cheesy

where? get me the link please!

Only a suggestion Cheesy
shanecoins

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:38:57 PM

We are about to become the leader in the Esports industry!!!!
Look at ESC price and Min Cheesy Gogoggoogogooo!
was only a matter of time  Smiley now there thead is locked to lol
Starscream

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:20:12 PM

I just figured MIN would be interested in it, but it they aren't, I'll proceed with the series regardless as I see fit.

They are. Just do it. They wanted someone to organise stuff, you're going to do it, so what's the problem?
He wants someone as "skilled" as crayon...

Crayon has proven he is capable of setting things in motion. So yes - as skilled as him - don`t see why we want something less? If you want to organize things - okay - we make you an instance of the betting service - donate some 200$ worth of Minerals and support you. But we simply can't handle it ourselves.
Never asked or wanted you guys to handle it yourself, just the support in the form of prize money and ofc approval.

I'll handle everything related to the tournament.
Crayonsc2

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:12:51 PM

BTW, the other day someone posted a huge dumped during/after the SC2 tournament, wasn't it the prize money being converted to USD (MIN -> BTC -> USD) ?

no one in sc2 dumped. so dont assume. in fact. half the minerals were kept and no exchanged.
Starscream

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:14:09 PM

no one in sc2 dumped. so dont assume. in fact. half the minerals were kept and no exchanged.
It was a question, not an assumption, note the question mark at the end.
Pages: « 1 ... 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 [405] 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 »
  Print  

Jump to: