Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:42:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 [644] 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984114 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:51:50 AM

We don't want to publish a list of names because of privacy reasons.

I can compile a chart of the registration dates, ranks, and post counts of NEM stakeholders. Or do you have other suggestions?

At this point, I'm fairly comfortable that there are no major sockmasters.

Is there time to do an extra round of sockpuppet hunt that would affect a potential insider?

Look at the situation from point of view of a guy from outside:

Mr.X owns 100 sockpuppet stakes.
He does a great analysis and finds 400 sockpuppet stakes belonging to someone else.
He comes to NEM devs and shows the analysis that reveals only those stakes that are not controlled by him.
NEM devs get rid of those 400 sockpuppets.

NEM devs are happy = they removed 400 rogue stakes.
Mr.X is happy = he has 100 his stakes safe (noone will do an extra round after such the great analysis).
Some guys who know double agent tricks are not happy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:52:58 AM

IMPORTANT: https://forum.nemcoin.com/nem-news-alerts/the-age-of-extinction-the-final-blow-to-sockmasters/msg14065/#msg14065

mjrmac

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:56:08 AM

I can compile a chart of the registration dates, ranks, and post counts of NEM stakeholders. Or do you have other suggestions?

Is there time to do an extra round of sockpuppet hunt that would affect a potential insider?

He does a great analysis and finds 400 sockpuppet stakes belonging to someone else.
He comes to NEM devs and shows the analysis that reveals only those stakes that are not controlled by him.

Mr.X is happy = he has 100 his stakes safe (noone will do an extra round after such the great analysis).

Too difficult ... Sad   
... in the level of the used transparency.
patmast3r

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:56:45 AM

What exactly do you have in mind ? What would that look like ?

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:04:11 AM

Everyone who controls private keys to a set of stakes that need to be investigated (excluding those from Nxt AE I think) launches NEM wallet and leave it open. At some moment (triggered by Bitcoin block N, data can be gotten from Blockchain.Info easily) all the wallets start solving cryptographical puzzles depending on Bitcoin block hash and NEM account id. In 15 minutes these puzzles are sent to a server controlled by NEM devs and the hash of received puzzles is published and copied by a lot of people who have to wait these 15 minutes.

After that we can make a good assessment how many computers "controlled" by a particular NEM stake and we can verify the puzzles because their hash is publicly known. Someone owning 100 stakes have to find 100 computers.
punapeter

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:06:57 AM

Thanks for opening the appeal processing so soon. Just sent a PM to makoto and I hope it will be carefully reviewed.
makoto1337
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 11:08:57 AM

If you flew to Japan and bought me some sake, I'd walk through all the redemption data with you Wink

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
                           ▄████████████████████████████████▄
                       ▄████████████████████████████████████████▄
                    ▌███████████████████████████████████████████████╒
                 ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
               ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
             ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
          ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████                                                ███████████▄
       ╒████████████                                                ▀███████████▄
       █████████████                                                ▀████████████▄
      ███████████████████████████████████      ███████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌
     █████████████████████████████▀       ████       ▀█████████████████████████████
     ╘███████████████████████████       ▄██████▄       ███████████████████████████▌
      ▀████████████████████████▀       ██████████       ▀█████████████████████████
       ▀██████████████████████╛      ╔████████████▄       ███████████████████████
        █████████████████████       ████████████████       ▀████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████╚      ╓██████████████████▄       █████████████████▀
           ██████████████▀       ▓█████████████████████       ▀██████████████╝
            ▀███████████╩       ████████████████████████▄       ███████████▀
              ▀████████       ▓███████████████████████████       ▀████████
                ▀████▐       ██████████████████████████████▄       ████▀
                  ╙▀       ▄█████████████████████████████████       ▀▐
                          ████████████████████████████████████▄
                         ▀████████████████████████████████████▀
                              ▀▀████████████████████████▀▀╛

Sora
| SoraTopia | SoraEconomy                                                    
/The Decentralized Autonomous Economy /
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 11:10:00 AM

Thanks for opening the appeal processing so soon. Just sent a PM to makoto and I hope it will be carefully reviewed.

Of course we will treat every NEMster seriously. Please just be polite!

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌

Sora
|
XOR
patmast3r

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:11:10 AM

Everyone who controls private keys to a set of stakes that need to be investigated (excluding those from Nxt AE I think) launches NEM wallet and leave it open. At some moment (triggered by Bitcoin block N, data can be gotten from Blockchain.Info easily) all the wallets start solving cryptographical puzzles depending on Bitcoin block hash and NEM account id. In 15 minutes these puzzles are sent to a server controlled by NEM devs and the hash of received puzzles is published and copied by a lot of people who have to wait these 15 minutes.

After that we can make a good assessment how many computers "controlled" by a particular NEM stake and we can verify the puzzles because their hash is publicly known. Someone owning 100 stakes have to find 100 computers.

That would basically be another round of redemption and that takes months. I don't think we have the time for that. You could have suggested that half a year ago Smiley

makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 11:14:05 AM

I'm pretty busy, so don't be concerned if I don't reply to your pm's immediately. I'll get through the appeal within 24 hours or so.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
Fatih87SK

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:24:42 AM

When the distribution is complete and I have my NEM.

Is the Private key I own right now the most important access to it?
So, there is no way I can lose it when my laptop crashes or something?

patmast3r

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:27:15 AM

So, there is no way I can lose it when my laptop crashes or something.

AFTER LAUNCH:
Ideally you should remove all traces of that private key in cleartext after you've imported it into a password protected wallet. After that your wallet is the most important thing and you should have multiple backups of it on different drives.
All NEM wallets are encrypted and password protected by default which is why it's a much safer way to keep your private key than to have the cleartext lying around.

Fatih87SK

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:29:03 AM

AFTER LAUNCH:
Ideally you should remove all traces of that private key in cleartext after you've imported it into a password protected wallet. After that your wallet is the most important thing and you should have multiple backups of it on different drives.
All NEM wallets are encrypted and password protected by default which is why it's a much safer way to keep your private key than to have the cleartext lying around.

Ok.

But when you lose the backups as well. Is it still possible to enter your wallet with the Private key I have stored?

freigeist

Activity: 1107
Merit: 534

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:44:12 AM

AFTER LAUNCH:

Ok.

But when you lose the backups as well. Is it still possible to enter your wallet with the Private key I have stored?

I think if you loose or delete your wallet you need to create a new one
and then import the same private key you have stored in it to access the accounts (funds) tied to this private key.

Also I would suggest you for security reason to make a copy of the private key
also on paper or some other storage device to not loose it in case your PC or laptop stops working.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:54:53 AM

That would basically be another round of redemption and that takes months. I don't think we have the time for that. You could have suggested that half a year ago Smiley

The proposed method doesn't need months. Majority of nemsters are waiting for the launch, so they will read an announcement and install the software. The rest will take a week. Why do you think about months here?
patmast3r

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:57:50 AM

The proposed method doesn't need months. Majority of nemsters are waiting for the launch, so they will read an announcement and install the software. The rest will take a week. Why do you think about months here?

roughly 1400 people have to have their client running at the same time. That's like waiting for some special stellar constellation Smiley
Not to mention that a huge chunk of stakeholders only drop by once a month so it would have to be at least 1 month after the announcement which even if the announcement was made right now would be later than what we hope to be launch.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 12:00:19 PM

roughly 1400 people have to have their client running at the same time. That's like waiting for some special stellar constellation Smiley
Not to mention that a huge chunk of stakeholders only drop by once a month so it would have to be at least 1 month after the announcement which even if the announcement was made right now would be later than what we hope to be launch.

Not running at the same time. Launching it one day before and leaving it working.

Why you can't postpone the launch a little?
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 12:05:20 PM

Not running at the same time. Launching it one day before and leaving it working.

Assuming we are still on track for launch, there's no time left to do this.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
patmast3r

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 12:06:53 PM

I think there are about 500 people that would kill us if we postponed because of anything other than technical reasons.
If people were like "Well that's worth it let's postpone for that" then I'd personally consider it (no idea what the rest thinks) but I don't think that's the case at all.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 12:13:40 PM

Ok, looks like I came here too late. This was my fault and I'll fix it by myself.
Pages: « 1 ... 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 [644] 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: