Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:47:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 [209] 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984117 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
sjarkara

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 09:30:40 AM

@ DEVS. well done. This wallet is rockin. NEM monitor is freaking awesome

+1

up and running. Can I have some to play with?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sjarkara

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

running smooth without any issues, 0.2.9 download posted on facebook.

Created an new account within wallet, but cannot switch between accounts. have to close and reopen to go back to primary account Huh?

Edit. Works after restart.
Thingamajig

Activity: 497
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:05:54 PM

Few criticisms with the client that i thought i'd share (And i'm sure perhaps you're aware of):

1.) It would be good if Harvesting was automatically turned on by default - i'm sure most people would rather be harvesting then not. This way, those who make a new account and get NEM havn't got to keep checking their account to make sure it's "Ready" to harvest.

Of course, leave the option there to turn it off if they so choose, but otherwise by default have it turned on so it automatically starts when the account meets the criteria to enable it.

2.) I noticed if i go on the transactions page, and view outgoing or incoming transactions, if i scroll down the page it just repeats the transactions over and over to infinity - I assume this is a bug.

3.)  I'm not sure if this is in the pipeline or even thought of, but having line graphs, bars or charts that represent outgoings, incomings, balance over time, Harvesting power/probability etc would be really sweet to have. I suggest this idea because i noticed my FIAT online banking pretty much has the same features, so creating equivalent or better tools for NEM just makes sense.

In fact, as i said before; you can probably get alot of inspiration by looking at your own online banking sites (in FIAT) and seeing what features it offers you.

4.) In-Client options to backup your wallet to save to a path you choose would also be really handy.

rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:16:41 PM

1.) It would be good if Harvesting was automatically turned on by default - i'm sure most people would rather be harvesting then not. But of course, leave the option there to turn it off if they so choose.

Starting harvesting automatically means the private key must be stored in cleartext somewhere. I don't think this is a good idea.
Encrypted wallet file is a good thing.

If you really need it, there is a bash script (harvest.sh) to start harvesting; if you don't use Linux someone can create something like that for your system.
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:21:11 PM

1.) It would be good if Harvesting was automatically turned on by default - i'm sure most people would rather be harvesting then not. But of course, leave the option there to turn it off if they so choose.

Starting harvesting automatically means the private key must be stored in cleartext somewhere. I don't think this is a good idea.

If you really need it, there is a bash script (harvest.sh) to start harvesting; if you don't use Linux someone can create something like that for your system.

Obviously that would only work if the user has laready decrypted his wallet and is logged in. I think it's not a bad idea allthough I'm not sure everyone would appreciate it.

harvest.sh is only needed if you're running NIS headless so it shouldn't concern the avg user.

Thingamajig

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:24:11 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2014, 01:37:57 PM by Thingamajig

Obviously that would only work if the user has laready decrypted his wallet and is logged in. I think it's not a bad idea allthough I'm not sure everyone would appreciate it.

harvest.sh is only needed if you're running NIS headless so it shouldn't concern the avg user.

I think the biggest appeal of Bitcoin was the allure of "free money" or, free bitcoin by using your PC. Crypto's in general mostly have appeal for this nature to the average joe.

I think the same is no different to NEM - I'd wager the vast majority will be wanting to harvest right from the outset each time they start their wallet/machine.  After all, it's been said many times that the biggest problem with crypto is accessibility to the average user. The features i suggested I believe are a step in the right direction in this regard. It's the little things that make a difference; and over time, they amount to a big change.

Another thought that crossed my mind is having some sort of notification icon in the top right near the account name, which indicates any potential problems with the account - out of sync blockchain, harvesting inactive (plus reasons why).

Don't get me wrong, these arn't demands - i'm just brainstorming here. Again accessibility for the less-tech savvy is really at the forefront of my mind here. Overall the wallet is extremely impressive and holds great promise.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:36:09 PM

http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0814/cryptocurrp6.htm

An article was posted detailing the history of NEM from December to February.    Search for: "From Bulldog To Populist"

From Bulldog To Populist

Late in the night of December 6th 2013 Eastern time, a new face joined the Bitcointalk community. It took him about a day before he started posting, but only several hours to shift from first-post to openly asking to buy 0.5 Bitcoin's worth of Nxt. He did ask some due-diligence-type questions around that time, but he was certainly interested in second-generation cryptocurrencies. And definitely interested in Nxt.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
dandruff1138

Activity: 700

1000% ROI Masternode Coin

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 01:42:11 PM

An article was posted detailing the history of NEM from December to February.    Search for: "From Bulldog To Populist"

From Bulldog To Populist

Late in the night of December 6th 2013 Eastern time, a new face joined the Bitcointalk community. It took him about a day before he started posting, but only several hours to shift from first-post to openly asking to buy 0.5 Bitcoin's worth of Nxt. He did ask some due-diligence-type questions around that time, but he was certainly interested in second-generation cryptocurrencies. And definitely interested in Nxt.

So we are 9 months deep.

▄▄██████████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████████████████████▄
    ▄████████████████████████████▄
   ████████████████████████████████
  ██████████████████████████████████
 ██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ███████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████
   ██████████████████████████████
    ▀████████████████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████████████▀
         ▀██████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████▀▀
(.
.@75 c Stage 2.
)
███     WHITEPAPER      SLACK      ANN THREAD     ███
████     FACEBOOK      TWITTER      TELEGRAM     ████

▬▬▬  JOIN OUR ICO    From Nov 10th, 2017  ▬▬▬
Thingamajig

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:49:15 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2014, 02:03:51 PM by Thingamajig

From Bulldog To Populist

I can't be the only one who found this hard to read right?

I noticed I was mentioned in it though.

After reading through this page some more, it appears to emphasize things and interject with a subtle hint of bias.

It doesn't quite grasp the fundamentals that this coin was trying to achieve. It was attempting to have a fairer distribution model to that of NXT or any other coin out there. Naturally, a coin that's aiming for equality in it's initial distribution is facing a hard struggle - because many people are going to try their utmost to obtain more. In the end, the debate we all witnessed was just people trying to ensure it succeeded.

All considered, it's one of the best distributions i've seen as a crypto and in many respects i regard it as a success. Anything that improves on what was the previous status quo is an improvement. If you consider the alternative; whereby those who hoard asic's and mining power jump on new currencies only to dump it later, whats worse? I'd choose NEM any day of the week.
luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 03:07:12 PM

Node name : StarNode
Account label : NemGuardian

Cool  Cool
gimre
Legendary

Activity: 866
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 03:41:28 PM

Few criticisms with the client that i thought i'd share (And i'm sure perhaps you're aware of):

1.) It would be good if Harvesting was automatically turned on by default - i'm sure most people would rather be harvesting then not. This way, those who make a new account and get NEM havn't got to keep checking their account to make sure it's "Ready" to harvest.

Of course, leave the option there to turn it off if they so choose, but otherwise by default have it turned on so it automatically starts when the account meets the criteria to enable it.

We need to discuss it little more, but most likely node will be booted with primary account key after you log in.
(actually I think this is possible even now, there's just no way to configure it from GUI)
(related issue: https://github.com/NewEconomyMovement/NIS/issues/31)

On a related note, there were no public answers to this post, although we get two or three PMs:
http://forum.nemcoin.com/index.php?topic=2366.0

2.) I noticed if i go on the transactions page, and view outgoing or incoming transactions, if i scroll down the page it just repeats the transactions over and over to infinity - I assume this is a bug.

Obviously a bug. Ofc it's a bug only in UI. I think no one has added it yet, you can do it yourself if you want to:
https://github.com/NewEconomyMovement/NemCommunityClient/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue

3.)  I'm not sure if this is in the pipeline or even thought of, but having line graphs, bars or charts that represent outgoings, incomings, balance over time, Harvesting power/probability etc would be really sweet to have. I suggest this idea because i noticed my FIAT online banking pretty much has the same features, so creating equivalent or better tools for NEM just makes sense.

In fact, as i said before; you can probably get alot of inspiration by looking at your own online banking sites (in FIAT) and seeing what features it offers you.

4.) In-Client options to backup your wallet to save to a path you choose would also be really handy.

That's a good suggestion. Also feel free to add it in here:
https://github.com/NewEconomyMovement/NemCommunityClient/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue

Also this thread is better for 0.2.9 discussion: http://forum.nemcoin.com/index.php?topic=2382.0

NemusExMāchinā
Catapult docs: https://docs.symbol.dev
github: https://github.com/symbol
gimre
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 03:46:45 PM

After reading through this page some more, it appears to emphasize things and interject with a subtle hint of bias.

Not a big surprise, it's wirtten by NXTer after all (or am I wrong? he also did that lengthy writeup about bter heist).
Still his articles are good to read.

NemusExMāchinā
amytheplanarshift

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 04:05:31 PM

Okay I'm going to post my criticisms of the new release of the NEM client here because I know the devs are looking here as well and this is where I post most often.

First of all, the names "NIS" and "NCC" are 100% most definitely going to be too confusing for the average user. The only thing that the average user needs to care about or be concerned with is the NEM Community Client. When someone wants to use NEM, they are going to want the wallet to install and load without any trouble or effort.

So, here are my impressions that I had (and I'm pretending to be a first-time, clueless user here). The initial file download was fine, and running it worked flawlessly. However, there was no notification anywhere that an icon had been placed in my system tray. At this point we have probably already lost a majority of first-time users.

Ignoring that, I continued on. I clicked to start NIS, and again received little to no notification that anything was happening until I checked the system tray menu again to see that it was indeed connecting and booting up. Eventually, after waiting a few minutes it seems to have connected but again no notification of this or anything and I kept having to manually check to see what was happening. The average user is going to click, and when nothing happens, get instantly frustrated and probably immediately forget about it or kill the program completely and uninstall it right then and there.

Okayyyy so now that NIS is connected I went to start the NCC. Well, I clicked on Start NCC and got a popup dialog (which is nice, finally some notification that something is happening) but it quickly disappeared and nothing else happened. No launch of the client whatsoever as far as I can tell. I tried many more times and got nothing at all. This could be due to my having the previous version of the NCC installed so I am going to test removing that first and re-installing NEM-Monitor and trying again, then I will continue writing this report.

Okay, just went through the same process and got the NIS running again. But, still no luck on getting the NCC to run. I got the Java pop-up asking if I wanted to authorize the program to run, downloaded the package, saw the NCC splash screen for a moment and the progress bar load, but then the splash screen closed and no NCC to be found. When I check the system tray icon, it says NCC is not running. Same thing happens when I try running it again.

Now I'm starting to think it could be a Java issue, so I'm downloading the latest Java 8 runtime and I'll try again and see if it works after I do that.

Still no luck. Every time I attempt to launch the NCC I get the splash screen, and the icon in the task tray changes to show the lower-right segment of the NEM logo change to yellow, but then it immediately goes back to only the lower-left segment illuminated green (which I assume means that only the NIS is running). So, something is happening that is causing the NCC not to launch. Are there any logs stored anywhere I could look at to see what's going on?

http://nem.io/
XEM: NBT6RQ-B2K3DN-EB3BDF-TUE3FT-SBDCJJ-L4PCX5-GKL6
gimre
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 04:29:00 PM

First of all, thank you for both (persistent) testing and report.

Keep in mind this is first release with nem-monitor, and we're aware, that it's far from perfect. Now:

Ignoring that, I continued on. I clicked to start NIS, and again received little to no notification that anything was happening until I checked the system tray menu again to see that it was indeed connecting and booting up. Eventually, after waiting a few minutes it seems to have connected but again no notification of this or anything and I kept having to manually check to see what was happening. The average user is going to click, and when nothing happens, get instantly frustrated and probably immediately forget about it or kill the program completely and uninstall it right then and there.

That is sort of strange, when starting NIS, there should be at least 'standard' java download progress displayed... (1)

Are there any logs stored anywhere I could look at to see what's going on?

This thread will be better for discussing it: http://forum.nemcoin.com/index.php?topic=2382.new#new
We don't want to fill BTT thread with that.

Logs should be in (on win) c:\users\<username>\nem\ncc\logs.
Also you can 'enable' java console (which will show logs in real-time) as shown at bottom here:
http://news.nemcoin.com/nem-alpha-one-click-install-client-is-now-available/

edit: screenshot for (1):

NemusExMāchinā
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 04:31:43 PM

I had the same issue and I was able to find a solution which worked for me.  I entered Default Programs, then Set Default Programs and went to Internet Explorer and selected "set this program as default" and then the NCC finally worked for me.

Have to remember that it's not the Java for your OS (if I understood it right) but rather the Java for your browser.  NEM seems to be incompatible with most browsers or at least the ones I was using (which is odd because I recall using an earlier alpha which was fine).

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
amytheplanarshift

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 04:39:36 PM

I had the same issue and I was able to find a solution which worked for me.  I entered Default Programs, then Set Default Programs and went to Internet Explorer and selected "set this program as default" and then the NCC finally worked for me.

Have to remember that it's not the Java for your OS (if I understood it right) but rather the Java for your browser.  NEM seems to be incompatible with most browsers or at least the ones I was using (which is odd because I recall using an earlier alpha which was fine).

Have not tried this yet but this could be the issue because I am using Chrome as my default browser. The older alpha I used also worked fine in Chrome so not sure but if you had a similar issue that could be it. I'll go check to see if there were any log files as well. Not going to clutter up this thread with debugging issues, if I see anything that looks relevant in the logs I'll let the devs know through other means but I wanted to at least make a report of my tests here since, like I said, I post here most often and I'm sure the rest of the community might be interested to see and compare with their own experience as well.

Thanks for the info!

Wulfcastle

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 05:01:40 PM

Wow, 0.29 and the new NEM monitor is awesome!. Well done devs!
amytheplanarshift

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 05:19:02 PM

Okay just wanted to post a quick update.

I managed to get the NCC running in Chrome just fine! I think perhaps it was an issue with the nem folder in my user folder on Windows from the previous version I had installed. I completely deleted that folder and then wiped everything via the Java control panel (I had done this before as well so I think it was the nem folder that was causing the issues).

The wallet is amazing once I got it running and is definitely a piece of eye candy to look at! All that needs to be done is getting the initial installation and startup process a bit more streamlined, but it's so close to being 100% perfect. This truly is the absolute most advanced cryptocurrency out there and we are still in Alpha... Really amazing stuff.

Great work devs!

EDIT: Also, I made a brand new wallet for testing this time around so I'm sitting at 0 NEM. If anyone could kindly throw some my way just for testing I'd be super grateful! Thanks! My address is in my sig. Smiley

EDIT 2: One more thing... I see some text in the Japanese translation that I think should be revised or that I think could be improved upon. Who do I need to inform of this?

luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 05:40:33 PM

That NIS/NCC thing is a bit confusing, i don't even know if one has to know which one is what, people just want that when you click on the nem client icon, your wallet has to open, simple as that.

Right now, if you don't notice the monitor in the tray, you may go mad quick, mostly because launching the monitor does not open your browser to the the online client. Not even a right click option on monitor to quick open the page. It's like you are so concentrated on the tech part that you forget the obvious  Cheesy

Funny thing is that if u stop ncc and run it again, it does launch the online wallet  Smiley

Now i like that nem is working on a cold wallet (had a bit of a hard time finding where the wallet was stored though lol, c:/users/you/nem/ncc, wallet is *.wlt)

Alpha Client is f*cking great, better than many already launched coins (which i will not mention Smiley)
Parana

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Step into a world!! A P2P world!

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 05:53:30 PM

Okay just wanted to post a quick update.
I managed to get the NCC running in Chrome just fine! I think perhaps it was an issue with the nem folder in my user folder on Windows from the previous version I had installed. I completely deleted that folder and then wiped everything via the Java control panel (I had done this before as well so I think it was the nem folder that was causing the issues).
The wallet is amazing once I got it running and is definitely a piece of eye candy to look at! All that needs to be done is getting the initial installation and startup process a bit more streamlined, but it's so close to being 100% perfect. This truly is the absolute most advanced cryptocurrency out there and we are still in Alpha... Really amazing stuff.
Great work devs!

EDIT: Also, I made a brand new wallet for testing this time around so I'm sitting at 0 NEM. If anyone could kindly throw some my way just for testing I'd be super grateful! Thanks! My address is in my sig. Smiley
EDIT 2: One more thing... I see some text in the Japanese translation that I think should be revised or that I think could be improved upon. Who do I need to inform of this?

I deffinetely sent you a lot of Nems on your old address. I just dont have it here now.

If you are still using the old wallet, try changing the address, looking for some NEMs. I got your old address at the nem forum, at the 2nd blockchain restart.

About the Japanese transalation, its upon Makoto. he did the first translation to Japanese.

Wink

Pages: « 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 [209] 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: