Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:03:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 ... 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709800 times)
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:09:50 PM

As long as someone doesnt know the IP of the given miner you should be "safe" right ?

To be decided...
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 10:15:13 PM

As long as someone doesnt know the IP of the given miner you should be "safe" right ?
No. The attack occurred upstream, between the miner and the pool.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:32:42 PM

Thanks for confirming ckolivas  Smiley

This is why I & others have been making so much noise about this - it's annoying for everyone - but it's for everyones good that it gets fixed ASAP.

Are you listening, Bitmain?

Edit: It is also why miners should only buy hardware that uses Open Source software provided by ckolivas - so that it can be checked for any security issues or "strange goings on" by the cgminer devs or anyone else who wishes to do so. Never buy hardware that uses Closed Source software - there's no way of knowing what it is doing.

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:12:12 PM

I assume a properly written proxy could use SSL to secure the connection?

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 12:01:06 PM

Would a firewall configuration that only allows tcp/3333 connections to known/whitelisted pool servers help?
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 12:20:52 PM

Would a firewall configuration that only allows tcp/3333 connections to known/whitelisted pool servers help?

No.  The stratum protocol allows redirection.  Unless it's a secure connection, it could be intercepted upstream from you and redirected, and you'd never know the wiser.  That's what the newer cgminer allows (for pools that support it), is using SSL.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 12:36:52 PM

No.  The stratum protocol allows redirection.  Unless it's a secure connection, it could be intercepted upstream from you and redirected, and you'd never know the wiser.  That's what the newer cgminer allows (for pools that support it), is using SSL.
Actually we don't use ssl in cgminer stratum since it's overkill for the actual problem. The problem is a packet is intercepted between you and the pool and it sends back a redirect message to cgminer which consciously moves to the other pool. People who were mining elsewhere unintentionally could actually see their rig had switched. Redirect rules were made strict according to domain name to prevent redirection from happening unless it was to a server with the same domain meaning they'd have to spoof the domain as well. Blocking outgoing connections from cgminer to only selected upstream pools would actually work to prevent you mining elsewhere but you may end up just failing to connect to anything without the redirect protection in later versions.

-ck
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 02:35:24 PM

Actually we don't use ssl in cgminer stratum since it's overkill for the actual problem. The problem is a packet is intercepted between you and the pool and it sends back a redirect message to cgminer which consciously moves to the other pool. People who were mining elsewhere unintentionally could actually see their rig had switched. Redirect rules were made strict according to domain name to prevent redirection from happening unless it was to a server with the same domain meaning they'd have to spoof the domain as well. Blocking outgoing connections from cgminer to only selected upstream pools would actually work to prevent you mining elsewhere but you may end up just failing to connect to anything without the redirect protection in later versions.

You say that SSL is overkill for the problem, and it probably is from a general perspective. But overreaching as it may be it also sounds like SSL would in fact solve this problem, making it impossible for an attacker who does not have access to the SSL keys to send the redirect message in the first place.

Sorry for the off topic post. Maybe there's a better place to discuss this.

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 02:36:15 PM

It seems to me that the obvious & right thing for Bitmain to do is what they promised the community they would do. Take down the S3+ firmware update (which does not match the MD5 checksum anyway) and replace it with one that contains the latest cgminer code that fixes the redirect issue. As has been mentioned before - why wouldn't they want to do this? Why would such a large miner manufacturer insist on keeping this security flaw in place?

Food for thought indeed......

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 05:05:30 PM

It seems to me that the obvious & right thing for Bitmain to do is what they promised the community they would do. Take down the S3+ firmware update (which does not match the MD5 checksum anyway) and replace it with one that contains the latest cgminer code that fixes the redirect issue. As has been mentioned before - why wouldn't they want to do this? Why would such a large miner manufacturer insist on keeping this security flaw in place?

I would speculate that they're short staffed, and the oob cgminer doesn't work for them, so they have to customize it.

M

PatMan

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 05:30:22 PM

I would speculate that they're short staffed, and the oob cgminer doesn't work for them, so they have to customize it.

M

I just can't see that being the case tbh. I'm sure if they found their entire hashing farm was being redirected to a different pool, they'd soon implement it....... Cheesy Cheesy

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
ftoole

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 05:55:31 PM

M
The reason its smart to have each miner on its own worker and then have a pool that will e-mail you when your workers have been idle.
PatMan

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 06:02:05 PM

No.  The stratum protocol allows redirection.  Unless it's a secure connection, it could be intercepted upstream from you and redirected, and you'd never know the wiser.  That's what the newer cgminer allows (for pools that support it), is using SSL.

M
The reason its smart to have each miner on its own worker and then have a pool that will e-mail you when your workers have been idle.

I don't believe that to be the case I'm afraid. I believe it's possible to redirect a proportion of hash rate, so that your miners never actually show as idle......not sure though, maybe ckolivas can clarify this?

valkyrie69

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:51:32 PM

Hi guys,

I just got started with my first Antminer S3 and one of the features I liked the look of was the ability to specify three pools and mine from them simultaneously. I figured that this would mean a more stable level of mining income for me since using three pools would mean that the risk of one pool being very unlucky in any given time period would be offset by the chance of one of the other two pools being above average lucky. All things being equal, it should mean getting closer to a miner's average return, rather than peaks and troughs. At least that was the theory...

When I tried this, I initially set it up with Ghash.io, Slush and BTC Guild. All was good except that GHash error rate decided to go to the moon! I started getting 60 - 80% reject rates per shift with masses of low difficulty rejects, despite specifying in their workers page to send them at diff 256. This was in stark contrast to when I first rigged it up online. I pointed it at Ghash.io alone and it performed very well, a few GH/s less than advertised but I'm only running it off of a CS550M PSU with two connectors so I hadn't expected it to overperform.

Naturally I did what any sane miner would do and ditched GHash.io in favour of Eligius  Wink

Jokes aside, does the S3 perform as rewardingly when split between 3 pools as it does when aimed just at 1 or does some GH/s never get utilized? And does anyone know why mine struggles with GHash.io difficulty when it's aimed there as part of a balanced pool set up but works fine with GHash.io if I set it to work 100% on that pool alone?

PS Sorry to post this while an important discussion on security is going on but I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread for this or keep it in this thread where all the S3 expertise is clearly hanging out  Smiley

Pt0x

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 08:13:42 PM

Maybe @Kano could come to the rescue and compile a new binary just like he did with the s1/s2?

https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/tree/master/AntS1

I´m even willing to send him a tip, anyone else cares to join?

BTC: 17sz6AoYVpwXjaStmnVCsGTufUhvrAMhTw
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3853

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 08:52:37 PM

Hi guys,

I just got started with my first Antminer S3 and one of the features I liked the look of was the ability to specify three pools and mine from them simultaneously. I figured that this would mean a more stable level of mining income for me since using three pools would mean that the risk of one pool being very unlucky in any given time period would be offset by the chance of one of the other two pools being above average lucky. All things being equal, it should mean getting closer to a miner's average return, rather than peaks and troughs. At least that was the theory...

When I tried this, I initially set it up with Ghash.io, Slush and BTC Guild. All was good except that GHash error rate decided to go to the moon! I started getting 60 - 80% reject rates per shift with masses of low difficulty rejects, despite specifying in their workers page to send them at diff 256. This was in stark contrast to when I first rigged it up online. I pointed it at Ghash.io alone and it performed very well, a few GH/s less than advertised but I'm only running it off of a CS550M PSU with two connectors so I hadn't expected it to overperform.

Naturally I did what any sane miner would do and ditched GHash.io in favour of Eligius  Wink

Jokes aside, does the S3 perform as rewardingly when split between 3 pools as it does when aimed just at 1 or does some GH/s never get utilized? And does anyone know why mine struggles with GHash.io difficulty when it's aimed there as part of a balanced pool set up but works fine with GHash.io if I set it to work 100% on that pool alone?

PS Sorry to post this while an important discussion on security is going on but I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread for this or keep it in this thread where all the S3 expertise is clearly hanging out  Smiley

the purpose of three pools specification usually is NOT to split equally, but to provide a backup. BTW, you don't have to have a third pool specified, it could be just two.
miguportugal

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 09:44:34 PM

hello

did anyone test the last firmware antMiner_S320140826.bin?

what gains can we achieve with this new firmwere?
valkyrie69

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 10:18:51 PM

Hi guys,

PS Sorry to post this while an important discussion on security is going on but I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread for this or keep it in this thread where all the S3 expertise is clearly hanging out  Smiley

the purpose of three pools specification usually is NOT to split equally, but to provide a backup. BTW, you don't have to have a third pool specified, it could be just two.

Yes, I am aware I can have 1, 2 or 3 pools. My view is that since BTC Guild, Eligius and Slush combined are equal to a little less than GHash.io or Discus Fish in terms of hashing power, by mining on all three I should get a similar rate of payout to if I were on one of the big two (although I won't get to payout thresholds as quickly). I prefer this because although I'm only a tiny fish in a big ocean, I'd like bitcoin to stay decentralised and because it gives me a smoother payout rate rather than the lumpy mining that comes from putting all my hashing power on one smaller pool. A steadier payout rate means I can use my BTC for everyday purchases more easily rather than being a hoarding or trading type that is concerned with BTC's value in fiat. In short, for me it's an extra income. But that's just my philosophy. What I'm really looking for is someone who knows whether an S3 running in balance mode delivers it's full GH/s and why balance and load balance mode seem to cause trouble with Ghash.io difficulty settings.
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 10:21:39 PM

Maybe @Kano could come to the rescue and compile a new binary just like he did with the s1/s2?

https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/tree/master/AntS1

I´m even willing to send him a tip, anyone else cares to join?
I'll look at the code today.

-ck
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3853

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 10:28:11 PM

Hi guys,

Yes, I am aware I can have 1, 2 or 3 pools. My view is that since BTC Guild, Eligius and Slush combined are equal to a little less than GHash.io or Discus Fish in terms of hashing power, by mining on all three I should get a similar rate of payout to if I were on one of the big two (although I won't get to payout thresholds as quickly). I prefer this because although I'm only a tiny fish in a big ocean, I'd like bitcoin to stay decentralised and because it gives me a smoother payout rate rather than the lumpy mining that comes from putting all my hashing power on one smaller pool. A steadier payout rate means I can use my BTC for everyday purchases more easily rather than being a hoarding or trading type that is concerned with BTC's value in fiat. In short, for me it's an extra income. But that's just my philosophy. What I'm really looking for is someone who knows whether an S3 running in balance mode delivers it's full GH/s and why balance and load balance mode seem to cause trouble with Ghash.io difficulty settings.

at some pools (Slush's) you can select the payout at as low as 0.001 BTC; you can also point several miners to the same wallet address (in Eligius, just use <wallet address>_<name of the miner>), which will speed up the payouts.
Pages: « 1 ... 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 ... 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: