Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:56:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... 399 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pictures of your mining rigs!  (Read 1805652 times)
turtle83

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 10:15:30 PM

Oh that's one of those Cougar fans, I just bought 2 of them for my case since the stock ones died after 4 years of continuous use. They're really nice and quiet with the rubber mounts.

they really are. I am strongly considering replacing the other stock PWM fan with one. They look AWESOME and are very quiet, but unfortunately have lower airflow. (box says around 75CFM, while the stock fans must push over 100CFM).

BTW: anyone have good liquid cooling ideas or methods? It would be pretty sweet if the antminer boards could be placed into immersion cooling, but i know that they would require a radiator capable of >400W for each antminer which i imagine is costly and semi-complex to install

AFAIK liquid cooling (waterblocks) are not really ideal for ~200W (per blade) spread over a large area. The blocks would tend to be expensive. They are usually made for higher densities. For an ant you would likely need to get slabs custom built... then mount the blades onto it. I did see some early avalon threads where someone got custom waterblocks made... and used a chiller to cool the water.

Immersion cooling could work, just need to figure out how to keep the solution cool...

I think liquid cooling is waste of money... unless you can overclock it to the point of justifying your investment.

edit: found the thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=211825.0

wow thats a massive aluminum heatsink lol. I was thinking along the lines of immersion cooling (single or dual phase, though single phase would obviously be cheaper and simpler to build and seal)

if it would work with the heatsinks removed, you could put 4 antminer blades (total 400GH in aircooling, ~900W) into a tank as small as [12"L x 6"W x 8"H] and have space for liquid to circulate. With the heatsinks, the width would be closer to 12".

I think heatsinks still needed for single phase.

The big problem still is how u gonna cool the liquid... You still have to deal with the same amount of heat to remove. Immersion is good for 2 things.
1) Have a buffer zone. If u generate heat in bursts, like typical computing, gaming, etc where you run it at max power for short times and not 24x7. You only have to deal with the average. - Not applicable here.
2) Channel heat elsewhere where you can exchange it more efficiently.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:39:35 PM

I think heatsinks still needed for single phase.

The big problem still is how u gonna cool the liquid... You still have to deal with the same amount of heat to remove. Immersion is good for 2 things.
1) Have a buffer zone. If u generate heat in bursts, like typical computing, gaming, etc where you run it at max power for short times and not 24x7. You only have to deal with the average. - Not applicable here.
2) Channel heat elsewhere where you can exchange it more efficiently.

I was thinking a system more similar to the asicminer system, but i beleive that involves a sealed tank, and still requires either circulating the liquid through a radiator or having a peltier cooler for the gas state

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:33:17 AM

standard disclaimer //

Immersion cool in baby oil (paraffin oil) (About $5 per liter not buying it in bulk), circulate with a quality car windscreen wiper fluid pump or electronic fuel pump. The reason for this oil choice is its availability and its not very viscous at all. These are about the same cost as a "gaming" water cooling pump but far more better quality and more robust: just get one from your local car junkyard they should have millions. Also, fuel pumps are designed to handle non-polar fluids (which includes oils) so they're more likely to be compatible with the oil than a random watercooling system pump which may contain materials that will disintegrate / dissolve / embrittle in the oil.

Get yourself a portable air conditioner, or external unit of a split system air conditioner and have the gas removed by a licensed refrigeration mechanic (of course). OR, a second hand car radiator. All of these should be able to handle over 3 kW of heat assuming you put some decent fans near it. Even with silent fans you can remove immense quantities of heat thanks to their ridiculous surface area.

Tubing should be silicone (medical) tubing or fuel line tubing that automotive and some hardware stores stock. Fuel line tubing costs about $7/meter where I live for 2 mm thick walled stuff (Masters Home Improvement centers, Australia). Medical tubing is usually even more expensive ($10+ /m) and not necessarily any better and you'll probably find stock in your country is monopolized by companies who specialize it selling it.

Before installing the system for real, you should place it over some kind of sealed basin or container and leak test the entire system with its full lengths of tubing for at least 1 day. However as some materials are semi-permeable to oils you should think about testing it for at least a week if you want to be cautious.

If you have access to a quality router with metal routing bits you can easily make your own waterblocks with a moderate ammount of fore planning their design. It should be made from aluminium. If your have a router or CNC capable of doing this work then you don't need to be told where to get metal from. You can buy silicone sealant strips or rings, and silicone sealant type glues from any half decent hardware store to make the seal.

If you dont want to make your own 'oil blocks' then you can buy the relatively large (and relatively dodgy) Chinese eBay waterblocks. I have heard reports that they CAN be used with oil.

It's also worth keeping in mind that although its VERY hard to ignite paraffin oil without preheating it to at least a few hundred deg C, it can burn. And if it starts to burn and you have a few liters of it you have a extreme problem. I recommend that any high-current cables passing through the air-water interface are sealed inside of a metal tube so that if there is a fire in those cables then it cannot contact the oil interface. It is almost impossible to get a resistively heated wire to ignite oil if it is fully submerged in the oil. It can only ignite if it manages to heat the entire oil mass to its autoignition temperature or if it can come into contact with the air-water interface. I recommend you test this for yourself with a small qty of oil and and old ATX PSU.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:53:15 AM

standard disclaimer //

Immersion cool in baby oil (paraffin oil) (About $5 per liter not buying it in bulk), circulate with a quality car windscreen wiper fluid pump or electronic fuel pump. The reason for this oil choice is its availability and its not very viscous at all. These are about the same cost as a "gaming" water cooling pump but far more better quality and more robust: just get one from your local car junkyard they should have millions. Also, fuel pumps are designed to handle non-polar fluids (which includes oils) so they're more likely to be compatible with the oil than a random watercooling system pump which may contain materials that will disintegrate / dissolve / embrittle in the oil.

Get yourself a portable air conditioner, or external unit of a split system air conditioner and have the gas removed by a licensed refrigeration mechanic (of course). OR, a second hand car radiator. All of these should be able to handle over 3 kW of heat assuming you put some decent fans near it. Even with silent fans you can remove immense quantities of heat thanks to their ridiculous surface area.

Tubing should be silicone (medical) tubing or fuel line tubing that automotive and some hardware stores stock. Fuel line tubing costs about $7/meter where I live for 2 mm thick walled stuff (Masters Home Improvement centers, Australia). Medical tubing is usually even more expensive ($10+ /m) and not necessarily any better and you'll probably find stock in your country is monopolized by companies who specialize it selling it.

Before installing the system for real, you should place it over some kind of sealed basin or container and leak test the entire system with its full lengths of tubing for at least 1 day. However as some materials are semi-permeable to oils you should think about testing it for at least a week if you want to be cautious.

If you have access to a quality router with metal routing bits you can easily make your own waterblocks with a moderate ammount of fore planning their design. It should be made from aluminium. If your have a router or CNC capable of doing this work then you don't need to be told where to get metal from. You can buy silicone sealant strips or rings, and silicone sealant type glues from any half decent hardware store to make the seal.

If you dont want to make your own 'oil blocks' then you can buy the relatively large (and relatively dodgy) Chinese eBay waterblocks. I have heard reports that they CAN be used with oil.

It's also worth keeping in mind that although its VERY hard to ignite paraffin oil without preheating it to at least a few hundred deg C, it can burn. And if it starts to burn and you have a few liters of it you have a extreme problem. I recommend that any high-current cables passing through the air-water interface are sealed inside of a metal tube so that if there is a fire in those cables then it cannot contact the oil interface. It is almost impossible to get a resistively heated wire to ignite oil if it is fully submerged in the oil. It can only ignite if it manages to heat the entire oil mass to its autoignition temperature or if it can come into contact with the air-water interface. I recommend you test this for yourself with a small qty of oil and and old ATX PSU.

You start off talking about immersion then you talk about machining 'oil blocks'

I understand the concept of both cooling systems, oil immersion and using blocks with fluid, but why would you bother running oil through blocks when water is a) cheaper, b) more efficient at removing heat from the block?

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:15:09 PM

Its what happens when you have too many double shot espresso's at night time. Pay attention kids.   Shocked

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
adnanabbas

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:39:32 PM

My current rig in the morning sun today  Cool

That's 2x BFL 60 Gh/s and 2x BFL 7 Gh/s, all with new arctic cooling fans. I also have 30x usb erupters (not pictured), totalling 144 Gh/s now heating my room.

(previous post about this rig here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7216.msg2999470#msg2999470)

Anyone walking pass, realizes that its mining gear, they will have it in a flash, even though they might have to make arrangements for a ladder  Roll Eyes
BitcoinDenvini

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:00:44 PM

That's 2x BFL 60 Gh/s and 2x BFL 7 Gh/s, all with new arctic cooling fans. I also have 30x usb erupters (not pictured), totalling 144 Gh/s now heating my room.

(previous post about this rig here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7216.msg2999470#msg2999470)

http://data70.com/le_rigg.jpg

Anyone walking pass, realizes that its mining gear, they will have it in a flash, even though they might have to make arrangements for a ladder  Roll Eyes

That's risky, i thought of the same thing.
Jay_Pal
Legendary

Activity: 1493
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 04:09:48 PM

I thought on where to get the ladder!!! Cheesy

Best faucet EVER! - Freebitco.in
Don't Panic... - 1G8zjUzeZBfJpeCbz1MLTc6zQHbLm78vKc
Why not mine from the browser?
turtle83

Activity: 322

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 06:34:21 PM

[WTB] Ladder

pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:00:55 PM

Watercooled quad 7970, mining 3mh/s at 30dB-A, 50-60c  Wink

The plate for RAM heatsinks is not working, have to switch to finned individual chips. Never would have guessed ram chips would get so damn hot!

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:07:46 PM

You did the machine work?  Looks awesome!
pontiacg5

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:17:11 PM

You did the machine work?  Looks awesome!

Thanks!

Yes, all of the blocks/manifolds were done on a 2 axis knee mill and the "case" was waterjet cut/formed.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:02:51 PM

my favorite topic from this forum !  Grin
adnanabbas

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:39:41 PM

ROI on the ladder would be super  Shocked
cryptolaxy

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:49:47 PM

How is my new baby?

Nice!!! I like it!
What are the difference when the upper fans turned on or off in temperature?
I was wondering to do that but not sure of the results, as every fan I put in my gear no matter where, it only make it worse.

This rig is a beauty. planning on building something similar. just two questions:
- You used two mobo on this rig. does that mean they are connected to two monitors?
- If they aren't, how do you connect both mobo to one monitor?
pontiacg5

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:54:25 PM

How is my new baby?

Nice!!! I like it!
I was wondering to do that but not sure of the results, as every fan I put in my gear no matter where, it only make it worse.

This rig is a beauty. planning on building something similar. just two questions:
- You used two mobo on this rig. does that mean they are connected to two monitors?

One at a time, get one set up and mining then just unplug the monitor and plug in the second computer. You don't need a monitor to mine.

cryptolaxy

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:58:47 PM

How is my new baby?

Nice!!! I like it!

One at a time, get one set up and mining then just unplug the monitor and plug in the second computer. You don't need a monitor to mine.
How do you tackle the GPU's going idle? and also what PSU do you use? and how many PSU do you have installed per mobo?
pontiacg5

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:19:15 PM

How is my new baby?

Nice!!! I like it!

How do you tackle the GPU's going idle? and also what PSU do you use? and how many PSU do you have installed per mobo?

They don't go idle, dealing with that problem hasn't been an issue for a while due to newer drivers. A single 75 ohm resistor in the right place is enough to "dummy" a GPU into running, otherwise. 

What PSU? Any will work, though I suggest you spend money here. Cheap power supplies will cost you more than they save up front. Running two or more per motherboard is not a problem, depends on the PSU prices and line voltage in your area as to which would be the best/cheapest choice (1 or two PSU.)

cryptolaxy

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:21:34 PM

Sweet rig. Where did you get the aluminum extrusions?  Is it 80/20?

Ok, time for a bit of showing off my rig:

5x Sapphire Radeon 7970
3750kHash/sec Litecoin
and blowing the heat right out of the window!

Nice rig!! what kind of fan do you use?
cryptolaxy

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:39:50 PM

How is my new baby?

Nice!!! I like it!

They don't go idle, dealing with that problem hasn't been an issue for a while due to newer drivers. A single 75 ohm resistor in the right place is enough to "dummy" a GPU into running, otherwise. 

What PSU? Any will work, though I suggest you spend money here. Cheap power supplies will cost you more than they save up front. Running two or more per motherboard is not a problem, depends on the PSU prices and line voltage in your area as to which would be the best/cheapest choice (1 or two PSU.)

Line voltage in my area is 240v. What do you think about using Enermax platimax 1500W per mobo? Also on close lookup at your gpu, you didn't use any ohm resistor.
Pages: « 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... 399 »
  Print  

Jump to: