Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:16:44 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312583 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 11:15:58 PM

I make it XMR $25 based on Stamp prices.

Sweet.

我想要火箭和火车
prabakharras

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 11:58:56 PM

Monero raising like a mountain to $25 https://www.coingecko.com/en/price_charts/monero/usd
Congratulations to all the winners who got right

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 12:05:18 AM

Sweet.

Yeah, topped C$35 today  Cool
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 12:08:25 AM

Sweet.

Is this dollar-denominated All Time High?  I forgot... what did we hit in dollar terms last summer?

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Dumb broad

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 12:58:10 AM

Thanks for all the replies people Cheesy Appreciated.

I could accept that the new money coming in was genuine investment if it weren't for the fact metals are currently taking a beating; if economic sentiment was so negative we would be seeing increases in traditional alternative investments as well as new alternative investments.

So the money coming into crypto is either new and naive or not looking for any long term investment; or it is not new money but existing investors who have become intoxicated with daily profits and are committing more capital.  Regardless fundamentals have become irrelevant to many.  That suits the 'whales' and the Chinese miners who, being more acquainted with cryptos whims and vagaries, are looking for a profitable exit route.  And such a route has been made more difficult by circumstances at Finex and PBC dictats.

So we find ourselves in a situation where coins with no significant utility are worth 80USD, an anonymous coin which isnt actually anonymous (I'm looking at you Dash) is worth near a 100USD and a coin that is no longer fungible is worth over 1500usd.  This strikes me as a market that has collectively lost its sense of judgement and proportion (behaviour takes strange turns in large groups) and irrational markets are neither safe nor predictable places to store wealth.

For me, there may well be further profits ahead but the correction is going to be swift, deep and bloody.

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 01:14:03 AM

I could accept that the new money coming in was genuine investment if it weren't for the fact metals are currently taking a beating;

Monies don't have to flow in, for btcusd to rise.  It suffices for outflows to be reduced.

As long as bitfinex arbitrageurs continue to book gains in btc, given the volumes involved in that trade, the btc avaliable for outflow sales will be constrained correspondingly.  When they decide to convert to another asset outside of crypto, btc usd will see corresponding downward pressure.

I know that at 5oz xaubtc I would be cashing out some proportion of crypto.  Others are likely to do so sooner.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2017, 01:25:22 AM

So....what is going on with BTC?

Everything I have read recently is negative with regard to 'fundamentals' and market confidence and all the blocksize squabbles. In fact, I saw a quote recently along the lines of "anyone who knows anything about BTC would not be investing now." But the price keeps going up.

The negativity comes from FUD created by Roger, Jihan, Gavin, Sirir, Falkvinge, Janssens, and the rest of the NeverCore Butthurt Unlimited brigade.

For the past year, BTC has been afflicted by ASICboost and AntBleed creating perverse incentives for Jihan to block segwit.

Now that Bitmain's malfeasance and treachery are public knowledge, Bitcoin may respond in ways conducive to segwit activation (eg honeybadger gets medieval on Roger).  

Segwit means Lightning and Mimblewimble.  Lightning means infinite TPS, Mimblewimble means fungibility, privacy, and bounded mempool growth/management.  The market is now less hesitant to begin pricing in those milestones on the scaling roadmap.

In terms of OP, I'm expecting XMR to go up in USD, but sideways or down in BTC.  Cheesy

Possible game changers: mobile wallet, Coinbase/GDAX listing, DNM acceleration, altcoin or XMR-only ETF, institutional investment, Dash implodes when Evan goes to jail, etc.  Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 02:04:00 AM

In terms of OP, I'm expecting XMR to go up in USD, but sideways or down in BTC.  Cheesy

Yeah better get used to that... kinda already been happening lately: my "comfortable number" for XMR in BTC last couple months has been "0.015" i.e. as long as that's what's showing on my laptop's menu bar, I know Monero's okay.

Any days it was showing less than the 15's (a couple times) I got a bit concerned, but fortunately it never lasted too long.

Now however?  Today we're looking at just 16's-ish all day, bouncing 16-17 etc, so normally it'd be getting close to concern.

BUT NO, actually in fiat dollars we're hitting new highs!!   "This Is Fine"... Smiley

Just gotta get used to the new paradigm and check both numbers I guess, LOL

P.S. {Edit}

...if it weren't for the fact metals are currently taking a beating...

Bear in mind that gold and silver are very likely *still* highly manipulated to keep 'paper prices' extremely suppressed (http://www.silverdoctors.com/tag/silver-manipulation/) -- in theory crypto can't (yet?) be manipulated like this, so maybe that's why (?)

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 05:37:18 AM

Reviewing my posting history, it strikes me that I occasionally behaved quite a bit below my current standards. This note is directed to the Monero Speculation thread, because it has been my principal posting venue since it's inception, and hence my apologies are most due here.

Specifically, I wish to apologize for (1) arrogant, domineering argumentation styles or intellectual jiu jitsu, (2) self-aggrandizing impostures, (3) creating the impression that financial gain was a central goal or essential to a prosperous life, and (4) that my personal accomplishments, qualifications, or connections were somehow grandiose.  While I have not identified any actual falsehoods in my posts, upon review it is clear that some were (if not consciously, nonetheless in practice, and very likely by subconscious intent) misleading puffery, by their unstated implications.

All of these aspects of my posting history are beneath the standards to which I adhere, and could potentially work to the detriment of anyone thus misled.  I found it emotionally gratifying to boast of my successes at times when I was experiencing frustrating and humiliating setbacks in other, more important, areas.  I took on excessive risk, a form of gambling addiction, because the euphoria of rapid gains assuaged a deep internal shame at the mediocrity of my other achievements.  I was blessed to have identified a field in which, and a strategy whereby, those risks were abundantly rewarded; however, luck is not wisdom - nor is even the most incisive and insightful analysis, if it is not subordinated to the service of a worthy aim, or is conducted with inauthenticity or careless of its unintended consequences.

I like to think that my influence has helped others achieve a higher degree of financial freedom than they might otherwise have experienced.  But if that came at the cost of enslavement to greed or obsession with markets squeezing more important things out of their lives, it was no benefit, but an actual harm.

Likewise, I hope that I have encouraged preparedness for reasonably foreseeable adversities.  But if this was achieved by instilling fear or anxiety, or if it caused hostility to people associated with the mechanisms underlying the phenomena for which preparedness is warranted, I would be very much at fault.

It is my hope that by drawing attention to my past misbehaviors I can mitigate any harm which they caused.  I prefer not to further distract from the topic of this thread by engaging in a public discussion or follow-up to this post, but I am available by PM for further discussion.  In particular, if anyone finds their emotional life controlled by the events in crypto, or by their material fortunes, I would like to offer whatever help I may in escaping the kinds of addictive behaviors which yearning for a false hope have caused in me. Feel free to contact me privately.

When rising prices cause rising mood and falling prices cause falling countenance, something is very wrong.  If nothing else, it is counterproductive to good decision-making.  Don't be that guy (or gal).  Get out and enjoy the world, and do some good in it.  Be physically, emotionally, and spiritually healthier for it. I hope to see you there

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 05:42:40 AM

Segwit means Lightning and Mimblewimble.  Lightning means infinite TPS, Mimblewimble means fungibility, privacy, and bounded mempool growth/management.  

Yes.  But I wouldn't bet on that any time soon.

bitwolf

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 06:52:35 AM

Sweet.

Yeah, topped C$35 today  Cool

(yawn) Wake me when it hits 100$. I mean xmr and btc.
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 07:01:11 AM

Reviewing my posting history.....

I know you said you didn't want a continuing discussion, but your mea culpa is a surprise and one I respect.

Just to say, I for one have found your posts and undoubted knowledge always worth taking on board and sometimes a revelation.  I followed you, Risto, and KFR into Monero at the point it was still being decided what to call it when no exchange was even listing it.  I obviously have no regrets.

If you are refocusing your priorities in life, good for you. And if this post was part of helping you achieve that, I hope it has done the job intended.

I am sure it is not just me who thinks you are and always have been important to the core of Monero supporters.  In my estimation, far more people here owe you thanks than you owe an apology to, if you owe any apology at all.

So yes, re-balance your life, but please don't stop dropping by and posting, whatever mood you're in!  

Good luck in focusing on what matters, instead of a screen - we probably all need to think about that.  

我想要火箭和火车
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 07:25:23 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2017, 07:52:05 AM by kurious

Thanks for all the replies people Cheesy Appreciated.

I could accept that the new money coming in was genuine investment if it weren't for the fact metals are currently taking a beating; if economic sentiment was so negative we would be seeing increases in traditional alternative investments as well as new alternative investments.

So the money coming into crypto is either new and naive or not looking for any long term investment; or it is not new money but existing investors who have become intoxicated with daily profits and are committing more capital.  Regardless fundamentals have become irrelevant to many.  That suits the 'whales' and the Chinese miners who, being more acquainted with cryptos whims and vagaries, are looking for a profitable exit route.  And such a route has been made more difficult by circumstances at Finex and PBC dictats.

So we find ourselves in a situation where coins with no significant utility are worth 80USD, an anonymous coin which isnt actually anonymous (I'm looking at you Dash) is worth near a 100USD and a coin that is no longer fungible is worth over 1500usd.  This strikes me as a market that has collectively lost its sense of judgement and proportion (behaviour takes strange turns in large groups) and irrational markets are neither safe nor predictable places to store wealth.

For me, there may well be further profits ahead but the correction is going to be swift, deep and bloody.

Spot on, Nano - 'if it looks like a bubble...'  Glad I am not the only one who feels it's looking less than rational.  Yes, markets as they say can stay irrational for a long time.   But the more irrational, the bigger the crash back to reality.  

I have been having 'that 2013 feeling' and I am concerned on the fundamentals becoming unsupportable.  Carnage is now looking a possibility, so I am factoring it in.  

Sometimes it's always better to sell 'too early' than be filled with regret.

我想要火箭和火车
cryptimus prime

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 07:32:44 AM

Aminorex you are a poet. Smiley

Some predictions for XMR on Tradingview, most call a massive bullish cycle, bullish patterns like cup and handle or reverse head and shoulders:

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/fayS7Ms8-Monero-XMRBTC-Cup-Handle/
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/kocZdQC5-Monero-XMRBTC-Inverse-Head-Shoulders/
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/E0WJygdm-XMRBTC-new-bull-cycle/
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRUSD/6HdI4WUp-XMR-MASSIVE-CUP-AND-HANDLE/

If this pattern should coincidentally overlap with some important news like coinbase or whatever...and BTC could also take a dip at the same time...
dranster

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 07:34:26 AM

Aminorex you are a poet. Smiley

Some predictions for XMR on Tradingview, most call a massive bullish cycle, bullish patterns like cup and handle or reverse head and shoulders:

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/fayS7Ms8-Monero-XMRBTC-Cup-Handle/
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/kocZdQC5-Monero-XMRBTC-Inverse-Head-Shoulders/
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/E0WJygdm-XMRBTC-new-bull-cycle/
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRUSD/6HdI4WUp-XMR-MASSIVE-CUP-AND-HANDLE/

If this pattern should coincidentally overlap with some important news like coinbase or whatever...

Coinbase is not going to add a shitty 350m marketcap coin that is not even anon yet. Coinbase minimum requirements is $1 Billion marketcap and good luck with that
cryptimus prime

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 07:37:47 AM

@dranster

Go and play with your Doge stash, leave this intellectually challenging discussion to the big boys, it`s nothing for you.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2017, 07:43:58 AM

I wish to apologize for (1) arrogant, domineering argumentation styles or intellectual jiu jitsu, (2) self-aggrandizing impostures, (3) creating the impression that financial gain was a central goal or essential to a prosperous life, and (4) that my personal accomplishments, qualifications, or connections were somehow grandiose.  While I have not identified any actual falsehoods in my posts, upon review it is clear that some were (if not consciously, nonetheless in practice, and very likely by subconscious intent) misleading puffery, by their unstated implications.

Don't apologize for that stuff.  It's what makes this thread (and forum) colorful and lots of fun.

Bitcoin runs on drama; Monero runs on comedy.

a coin that is no longer fungible is worth over 1500usd.

Bitcoin's ultimate use case, as a high-powered settlement network which keeps institutions provably honest and solvent, requires the radical transparency intrinsic to its One True Ledger.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
IntroVert

Activity: 265
Merit: 119

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 11:04:08 AM

Coinbase is not going to add a shitty 350m marketcap coin that is not even anon yet. Coinbase minimum requirements is $1 Billion marketcap and good luck with that

Not quite. LTC had less than "shitty 350m marketcap" less than 2 months ago. Pretty sure Coinbase was working on LTC support then. You can argue Charlie Lee is there and whatnot. I think they more care for staying power/track record, ability to innovate, governance and of course making money out it. XMR fits all of this.
arbitrage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 11:34:38 AM

When we are talking about market cap i cannot not to notice, differences in the number of total coins, and when you compare them XMR is in better position as more respectable, usable and precious. No one can deny XMR sucess any more!
it's just question of time. Wink
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 11:34:54 AM

Not quite. LTC had less than "shitty 350m marketcap" less than 2 months ago. Pretty sure Coinbase was working on LTC support then. You can argue Charlie Lee is there and whatnot. I think they more care for staying power/track record, ability to innovate, governance and of course making money out it. XMR fits all of this.

Don't feed......and so on. That persons comment is as important as a bicycle falling over in Beijing....

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
Pages: « 1 ... 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: