Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:33:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 [1439] 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312593 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Zegra

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 08:28:00 AM

I still remember too when monero was 0.50
Planned to buy some but kept postponing because I was in a break of crypto and then it skyrocketed to 6 Cry

I feel this will be 50 euros this summer, zt least. Looking at howfar we've come in a year.
CryptoPH

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

<3 Crypto

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 08:31:46 AM

Long time holder here, I would like answers to the following:

1. Do people still believe in XMR as a long term hold? (I do).

2. Is development still active?

3. What happened to rpietila? I thought he was the Monero investment jesus, what happened?

1. IMHO, yes people believe in XMR (I do)

2. Yes, number of developers still bullish

3. You may ask him, it seems like he gave his answer already

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 08:33:48 AM

The following clauses hold true in 50.01% or higher probability (in my opinion), so I can bet 1:1 on anyone (OTC, any amt&currency(or cross-currency)) who does NOT believe (every item is a separate bet in this case);

if you bet (correctly) that:
A) nothing happens, I pay 7:1;

if you bet that
B) at least one does not happen (and they all do, by 31.12.2017), you pay 7:1):

CLAIMS:

1. Bitcoin (BTC) will reach $2000 this year.

2. Monero (XMR) will reach $50 this year.

3. CK will reach $100 million market cap this year.

I am open to favorable early settlements. I need to raise about $10 million to pay my debts.

The ones who bet me Simple=1 (normally: 1:1) get 1.xy:1 for all bets taken before xy'[ 0"] have passed from the timestamp of this post.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
CryptoPH

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

<3 Crypto

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 10:55:10 AM

I am filing my income tax for 2016, and I am wondering if you declare your XMR holdings in your income tax?

BTW, I live in the Netherlands.

starmman
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1029

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 10:58:38 AM

I am filing my income tax for 2016, and I am wondering if you declare your XMR holdings in your income tax?
Where I am, I think I only need to declare it as capital gains when transferring back into fiat, but the rules will depend upon which country you are in. You should check with an accountant to be sure.
Zegra

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 11:00:37 AM

I wouldn't. Of course, in my country cryptocurrency profits are for free because the high court of the EU declared cryptos as a currency (if you go on holidays outside of the eurozone, you don't pay taxes either for the foreign fiat currency you buy right?)
If the situation is different in your country, I'd argue that they aren't realized profits yet until you convert to fiat? You could still lose it all (from their perspective) so would be useless to pay taxes on income you never realized right?
But I'm not a lawyer.
sp_skeptic

Activity: 110
Merit: 14

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 11:47:55 AM

I wouldn't. Of course, in my country cryptocurrency profits are for free because the high court of the EU declared cryptos as a currency (if you go on holidays outside of the eurozone, you don't pay taxes either for the foreign fiat currency you buy right?)
If the situation is different in your country, I'd argue that they aren't realized profits yet until you convert to fiat? You could still lose it all (from their perspective) so would be useless to pay taxes on income you never realized right?
But I'm not a lawyer.

In the US this is kind of a grey area. The question is whether exchanging one crypto for another is a "like kind" transaction. If you sell one pasture and buy another that is considered a like kind transaction and you don't have to pay taxes, you just carry the basis forward. But if you sell one stock and buy another that is specifically not considered like kind and you have to pay taxes.

The IRS hasn't ruled on crypto as like kind or not, but most people who have looked into it, including myself, think it's not. So if you sell appreciated Bitcoin to buy Monero you have to pay taxes on your gain in Bitcoin.  Even if you decide to claim like kind on crypto transactions you have to report the transaction to the IRS, so they will know who to come after when they finally make a ruling.

The one thing you do not want to do is fail to declare your crypto transactions to the IRS. They WILL find you.
MataKhobRazi

Activity: 876
Merit: 568

( ͡⊙ ͜ʖ ͡⊙)

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 11:53:31 AM

But I'm not a lawyer.

If you buy for example usd with eur to go to USA just for a holliday trip and the usd goes up, there is no tax to pay. But if you make trading betwen currencies [= buy and sell in a profit logic], you then have to pay taxes on your profits (even in the EU). The same logic applies to cryptocurreny if bitcoin for example is recognized by the law as a currency. [Switzerland may have a different approach on that question]

Bitcoin : The Only One
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 12:49:57 PM

I thikn $100 is easy peasy go this year..

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
S.Clegane

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:02:22 PM

Maybe somebody knows when they are planning website redesign?
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:10:59 PM

Risto, I don't understand what you're after here, with this betting proposal?

You want people HERE to bet *against* you that crypto currencies will do well in the coming months/year?

Seems like you may have better luck finding a taker on some forum like buttcoin or some anti-crypto places, no? 

Folks around here are largely bullish and BELIEVE IN this stuff, i.e. not likely to take opposite position from you...

Also, if you really want to "gamble" to get the funds you need (not a good idea as others have already said, but whatever) take a look at https://edgeless.io maybe - this is a zero-house-edge game (in theory) so your EV is "0" at least & maybe you can just skim off the variance if you have a large enough bankroll, LOL

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:18:45 PM

Risto, I don't understand what you're after here, with this betting proposal?

You want people HERE to bet *against* you that crypto currencies will do well in the coming months/year?

Seems like you may have better luck finding a taker on some forum like buttcoin or some anti-crypto places, no? 

Folks around here are largely bullish and BELIEVE IN this stuff, i.e. not likely to take opposite position from you...

Also, if you really want to "gamble" to get the funds you need (not a good idea as others have already said, but whatever) take a look at https://edgeless.io maybe - this is a zero-house-edge game (in theory) so your EV is "0" at least & maybe you can just skim off the variance if you have a large enough bankroll, LOL

I CAN take both sides (just indicate your wish). I HAVE in my possession resources to influence it (on the margin( ofc)).

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:39:30 PM

The only caveat to this IMHO is when the ALT bubble bursts that is naturally going to drag XMR with it.  We can only hope that the muted participation in the bubble is matched by the participation in the carnage.

I would say this scenario is playing out as outlined above.  The bigger question is will the current bitcoin bull help the alt bubble fully shuffle off or just tease us today?

Here's to XMR holding relatively firm in the carnage.
chilly2k
Legendary

Activity: 1007
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:42:57 PM

But I'm not a lawyer.

In the US this is kind of a grey area. The question is whether exchanging one crypto for another is a "like kind" transaction. If you sell one pasture and buy another that is considered a like kind transaction and you don't have to pay taxes, you just carry the basis forward. But if you sell one stock and buy another that is specifically not considered like kind and you have to pay taxes.

The IRS hasn't ruled on crypto as like kind or not, but most people who have looked into it, including myself, think it's not. So if you sell appreciated Bitcoin to buy Monero you have to pay taxes on your gain in Bitcoin.  Even if you decide to claim like kind on crypto transactions you have to report the transaction to the IRS, so they will know who to come after when they finally make a ruling.

The one thing you do not want to do is fail to declare your crypto transactions to the IRS. They WILL find you.

I'm not a tax expert, but I've dealt with this for many years.  and of course this is US only...   The "like kind" transactions your referring to generally apply to real estate, and for that "like kind" means any Real Estate.  You could sell your pasture and buy a parking lot, and it's still "like kind".   There are many rules involved and it's not as easy as just saying you sold and bought.  Although you do sell to USD and buy with USD.  It's considered a trade.  

Your analogy with stocks is not a very good example.     "But if you sell one stock and buy another that is specifically not considered like kind and you have to pay taxes."  In this case you are selling stock A, and receiving USD, and then using USD's to buy stock B.  In that case the gains you made on stock A have to be reported and taxes paid on them.  Then Stock B's basis is whatever you bought it at.  

To me, bitcoin is very different.  When you buy monero, your not selling bitcoin for USD, and then buying your monero with those USD's.  Your trading your bitcoin for moneros.  Your basis is whatever you paid for your bitcoin.  and your profit/loss is whatever you made on the sale (either bitcoin or monero) back to USD.  

Again, all just my opinion.  

KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:46:25 PM

I've begun to question this idea that the "alt bubble" necessarily MUST "burst"... which seems to be an (admittedly probably correct) foregone conclusion.

But, is it really?

Let's consider the bigger picture here that "money" pouring into all crypto now, is coming from the world of fiat currency.

Maybe ANY CRYPTO AT ALL is, in fact, better than ANY fiat?

I mean, compared to the dollar (if the dollar were "invented" today as a shitcoin) isn't some garbage like Dash even still better? LOL

This "alt coin pump" epic era that we are all sitting here living thru (and profiting from) may NOT really BE exactly what we THINK we are seeing...

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:56:24 PM

Maybe somebody knows when they are planning website redesign?

There was a meeting about it only 2 days ago. Let me try to find what was said for you.

Here you have:

https://monerobase.com/wiki/WebdevMeeting_2017-05-07

I also found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/69n0ca/my_ffs_proposal_to_getmoneroorg_redesign/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/69m61h/getmoneroorg_redesign_proposal/

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 02:13:33 PM

I've begun to question this idea that the "alt bubble" necessarily MUST "burst"... which seems to be an (admittedly probably correct) foregone conclusion.

But, is it really?

Let's consider the bigger picture here that "money" pouring into all crypto now, is coming from the world of fiat currency.

Maybe ANY CRYPTO AT ALL is, in fact, better than ANY fiat?

I mean, compared to the dollar (if the dollar were "invented" today as a shitcoin) isn't some garbage like Dash even still better? LOL

This "alt coin pump" epic era that we are all sitting here living thru (and profiting from) may NOT really BE exactly what we THINK we are seeing...

I do think all bubbles must burst.  And you are rightly pointing out possibly the biggest one of all the USD.  The USD bubble could burst tomorrow morning, or perhaps in our great grandchildrens lives.  It is very easy to underestimate the might of the USD.  After all it has survived a massive amount of damage in the last 90 years.

The alt bubble?  That thing has only been with us for a few months.  I *is* going to pop.  And pop hard.  We should HOPE it does.

The price of some crypto defies all logic. We like to pick on DASH...  but lets look at ripple instead.  As of this post Ripple is woth SIX BILLION DOLLARS.  It should not be worth a 10th of that.  Not a 100th.

The alt bubble is going to pop.  (I really kind of hope that is happening now)

Fortunes will be made... fortunes will be lost.

Our little survivor XMR is positioned to be a fortune maker IMHO.
Nathan047

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 02:32:25 PM

BTW, I live in the Netherlands.
Here in the US you only need to note the profits you’ve gotten when you convert back to USD, as cyptocurrencies are considered “property” and not “money.” However, I have no idea how the Netherlands treats Bitcoin.

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
Zegra

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 02:46:14 PM

But I'm not a lawyer.

So what are you going to do when you buy a few ripple and it skyrockets and it hits your limit sell order and immediately back through your buy order a bit lower but a bit later your stop loss market order is hit and you divide some between stellar and convert some to XMR. And a bit later you cash out of stellar and buy something. And each time you change crypto you have to go through BTC first. And that was in 3 minutes

How the hell do you fill that in your tax declaration?
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 02:50:26 PM

But I'm not a lawyer.

So what are you going to do when you buy a few ripple and it skyrockets and it hits your limit sell order and immediately back through your buy order a bit lower but a bit later your stop loss market order is hit and you divide some between stellar and convert some to XMR. And a bit later you cash out of stellar and buy something. And each time you change crypto you have to go through BTC first. And that was in 3 minutes

How the hell do you fill that in your tax declaration?

calculate your gains/losses with this https://bitcoin.tax/

then simply report a capital gain or loss on your taxes.

Pages: « 1 ... 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 [1439] 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: