Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:31:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 [1485] 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312371 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 05:06:56 PM

0.01645412BTC sell or hold ?

ask fluppy and do exactly the opposite  Cheesy

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nathan047

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 06:01:11 PM

0.01645412BTC sell or hold ?
Right now that's about 35$, so hold. I expect Monero to get to 45$ to 50$ almost immediately as the market corrects itself.

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
Bitcoinaire

Activity: 696
Merit: 439

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 06:35:44 PM

Thats a nice chart, resistance has become support.
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 07:12:08 PM

A decent Coindesk article on Monero, linked near that chart:

http://www.coindesk.com/what-to-know-before-trading-monero/

Worth a read...

我想要火箭和火车
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 09:12:31 PM

Worth a read...

unusual for coindesk. Quite balanced and largely correct....FP stunt ? (;-)

Ah just noticed: 1st on page 1500! yeah!

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
Nathan047

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 09:26:08 PM

Worth a read...
Nice read. It has me thinking though, Monero is one of the few coins that coindesk doesn't have an ownership stake in (at least it sure seems that way).

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 09:41:19 PM

Worth a read...
Nice read. It has me thinking though, Monero is one of the few coins that coindesk doesn't have an ownership stake in (at least it sure seems that way).

For awhile they were churning out positive articles about Zcash left and right...and they have an ownership stake in it. Even now if you point out one of the many shortcomings of Zcash they'll delete your comment. And most of their articles have either been less-than-friendly to Monero or cast it in a negative light.

In short, their bias shows. I think most of us know that, but it's frustrating that the casual reader of that site doesn't get the full picture.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 09:45:02 PM

Worth a read...

For awhile they were churning out positive articles about Zcash left and right...and they have an ownership stake in it. Even now if you point out one of the many shortcomings of Zcash they'll delete your comment. And most of their articles have either been less-than-friendly to Monero or cast it in a negative light.

In short, their bias shows. I think most of us know that, but it's frustrating that the casual reader of that site doesn't get the full picture.

I know that and one of their writers exposed it all.

But did you read it?  It's not bad at all...

我想要火箭和火车
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 09:46:16 PM

Worth a read...

In other words Coindesk is a lot like CNN and reports Fake News.

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 11:56:06 PM

Do you guys think monero has potential to go 1000-2000$ in 3-4years? When crypto gets more mainstream I think it's marketcap could reach the mark that bitcoin is at now don't you? I'm currently thinking about investing in monero and hodl it for 3-4 years Smiley

Yes, yes, and yes.  I suggest that you decide how much of your income you can afford to waste on lottery tickets in a given week, then spend that much on Monero each week, regardless of price.  Then you get more when price is lower, so your average buy price in a sideways market is lower.  However since price has more upside than downside potential, it would be good to front-load that.  I.e. spend a year's worth of lottery tickets over the next 2 weeks, then sit tight (and remember not to buy more lottery tickets unless your budget goes up).

I am not a qualified financial advisor. It's just the best advice I know how to give to a random human regarding Monero.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 12:37:58 AM

Worth a read...

In other words Coindesk is a lot like CNN and reports Fake News.

Yes, Coindesk has has a checkered past - but this is not a bad article at all (which is shy I referenced it), and one thing you do know is Monero would not have 'sponsored it' on principle!

Have a read of it?:

What is monero?

Monero is an open-source, privacy-oriented cryptocurrency that was launched in April 2014. The developers involved introduced this innovative cryptocurrency without setting aside any for themselves, and the team has relied on donations and the broader community to further development.

Monero leverages ring signatures and stealth addresses to obscure the identity of senders and recipients. Ring signatures combine or 'mix' a user's account keys with public keys obtained from monero's blockchain to create a 'ring' of possible signers, meaning outside observers cannot link a signature to a specific user.

The concept of a ring signature was first described by academics from MIT and The Weizmann Institute in a 2001 paper, and using the technology has helped provide legitimacy for Monero at a time when much of the cryptography used in blockchains is new and has not withstood the test of time.

It is worth noting that while mixing services are available for many cryptocurrencies, users generally only mixed coins when they were looking to hide something. Monero, however, mixes all coins used in transactions, which helps eliminate the suspicion that coins are being mixed to conceal information the senders and recipients don't want third parties to see.

While monero users have the ability to keep their transaction history private, they can also share this information selectively. Every monero account has a view key, which permits anyone holding it to look at the account's transactions.

Originally, ring signatures obscured the senders and recipients involved in monero transaction without hiding the amount transferred. However, an update called RingCT implemented a new ring signature that concealed both the value of individual transactions and the identity of senders and recipients.

In addition to leveraging ring signatures, monero also enhances privacy through stealth addresses, which are randomly generated, one-time addresses created for each transaction on behalf of the recipient. With this feature, recipients publish a single address and transactions they receive go to separate, unique addresses. As a result, monero transactions cannot be linked to the published address of the sender or recipient.
Fungibility and adoption

By providing a high level of privacy, monero offers fungibility, meaning that each individual unit of a currency can be substituted for another. Another way of putting this is that every coin has equal value.

Because the transaction history of individual bitcoins is recorded on the blockchain, coins that have been associated with certain events, like theft, could be shunned by merchants and exchanges.

Due to monero's untraceable nature, no two coins are distinguishable from one another, and they are both equal in the eyes of merchants. Without this level of fungibility, a vendor that accepts cryptocurrency might refuse a unit of one of these assets because of its past transaction history.

Because of this, monero (XMR) has enjoyed a steady increase in adoption since its release. Dark web marketplaces including AlphaBay and Oasis have embraced the cryptocurrency, reportedly due to popular demand.

"Following the demand from the community, and considering the security features of monero, we decided to add it to our marketplace," the press release stated.

Oasis adopted the currency later that year, and the endorsements of these two dark web markets helped provoke significant media coverage.
Monero's market

Monero's market operates like that of many other cryptocurrencies. Those interested in investing in the cryptocurrency can purchase it outright through exchanges including Poloniex, Bitfinex and Kraken.

Poloniex was the first of these exchanges to offer the currency, listing eight separate currency pairs in July 2014. Bitfinex, the largest bitcoin exchange by BTC/USD, followed suit in November 2016, listing XMR/USD and XMR/BTC trading pairs and allowing deposits and withdrawals of monero.

Kraken offered monero trading starting in January 2017, listing currency pairs XMR/USD, XMR/EUR and XMR/XBT. Kraken praised monero at the time, writing on its blog that the currency “trades with high volume and liquidity”.

Like many other cryptocurrencies, monero offers interested parties the opportunity to mine blocks. While individuals have the ability to join mining pools, they can also mine monero by themselves.

Anyone with a computer can take part in this activity, as it does not require any specific hardware such as the application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) required these days to mine bitcoin.

Monero uses a proof-of-work (PoW) algorithm that was designed to be accessible to a wide range of processors, a specification that was included to ensure that mining was open to many different parties instead of just large mining pools.

The cryptocurrency's block time is approximately two minutes. Monero offers miners a 'permanent block reward', which is described as follows:

"The block reward will never drop below 0.3 XMR, making Monero a disinflationary currency: the inflation will be roughly 1% in 2022 and go down forever, but the nominal inflation will stay at 0.3 XMR per minute. This means that there will always be an incentive for miners to mine Monero and thus keeping the blockchain secure, with or without a fee market."

At the time of reporting, the block reward was roughly 7.46 XMR, meaning that the monero network was producing approximately 224 XMR per hour and 5,376 XMR a day. The network hash rate was 81.84 million hashes per second.
Price volatility

The price of monero's XMR token has experienced significant volatility at times, climbing nearly 70% in the last month and more than 1,300% since it began trading on CoinMarketCap. Since inception, the cryptocurrency has fluctuated between roughly $0.25 (in January 2015) and close to $60 (in May 2017).

While some market observers might interpret this volatility as making monero less credible, sharp price fluctuations provide opportunities for traders. Traders can buy monero using both fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies, which might motivate them to buy and sell it in an attempt to make a profit. They might also use the currency as a hedge for other cryptocurrencies.

Because monero has received the acceptance of multiple dark web marketplaces and has generated significant visibility for its ability to provide users with a high degree of privacy, it is less speculative than competitors like zcash.

Going forward, monero's price will be a function of supply and demand. The former is ever-increasing, and the latter is unknown. Interestingly enough, this uncertainty might prove compelling to investors, giving them an opportunity to speculate on the cryptocurrency's future value in an attempt to generate strong returns.

我想要火箭和火车
c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 02:13:40 AM

I read it and their treatment of Monero this time was pretty fair. But due to several past bogus articles, I can't help but to now approach their articles with the attitude of something like, "How are they going to attempt to discredit Monero this time?" After all, they are invested in Zcash and in many other coins, as a previous poster noted.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 03:11:00 AM

They probably realized people are starting to figure out how biased they are, so this was a token "once a year" POSITIVE article about Monero.

That way they can get back to regularly slamming XMR and promoting their preferred shitcoins and still occasionally point to this article and say, "Oh no! See? We are not biased at all!  Look at all the nice things we said about you that one time...!!!"

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
bitwolf

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 04:31:51 AM

MyMonero mobile app:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/6dw9cz/testing_the_mymonero_app/
Aby Normal

Activity: 48
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 05:41:02 AM
Last edit: May 29, 2017, 05:58:51 AM by Aby Normal

Positive Coindesk article about Monero could also mean that they dumped ZEC at the peak a week ago, now they bought XMR on dip, rinse and repeat with any coin they think its hot atm ...

Also there was one even more interesting article that was released 5 days ago when Monero started to rise:
https://coingeek.com/what-real-leadership-looks-like/

I'm not sure about Coingeek since before that article I didn't even knew about that webpage, but the timing was so ...

Anyway, I don't really need a fancy article to know where to put my last BTC in, last deposit finally arrived to Bitfinex after 10 days of waiting for retarded BTC blockchain to do its job (even with 0.0007BTC TX fee) - instantly converted to XMR Smiley

Now just one friendly suggestion for fellow traders - based on my experience over past few months, trading XMR on Bitfinex feels much better than on Poloniex because:

- Bitfinex has no withdrawal limits for anonymous users. Its really not cool withdrawing XMR from Poloniex without KYC because of 2000usd limit (only about 50 XMR per day atm). I don't even consider filling KYC form since staying anonymous on exchange acts as additional privacy layer to my XMR stash.
 - Bitfinex trade engine is really good, there were no lags or disabled deposits/withdrawals so far.
 - Bitfinex liquidity and trade volume on XMR markets (especially XMR/USD) improved a lot over past few months. Some really nice fat buy/sell walls there and volume is also good. Any average trader (less than 5k XMR) will find Bitfinex liquidity and volume quite comfortable. Poloniex currently has an advantage only for whale traders (10k XMR or more).
 - With all those shitcoin pumps that smell on insider trading miles away, and insane volume that measures in hundreds of millions USD per day, its only matter of time when Poloniex will get same attention from US regulators as those Chinese markets got from PBOC few months ago.

I'm not advertising Bitfinex here, just sharing my user experience since I've been using both exchanges for casual trade. Also I'm bit worried cos there are maybe millions of XMR on Poloniex right now, and no matter how strong and secure Poloniex may be - they could be the major weakness of whole Monero project atm.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2017, 06:28:25 AM

I didn't ragedump, nor am I 'poutraged', I don't even think you have any obligation to do anything in particular.  I would just rather you didn't sneer at anyone who isn't (like you) gleefully happy about what happened, and I have voiced this opinion.  That's all.

Nice to know you didn't ragedump.

We've already discussed the many reasons some people are "gleefully happy" in reaction to the polarizing #FluffyGate performance art installation.

Calling my good-natured wish for Fluffy to enjoy National Wine Day a "sneer" is the part where you were poutraged (IIRC).  Cheesy

This week XMR outperformed BTC by 6.5%.  Our Chief Entertainment Officer's next prank can't come soon enough!  Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
novag

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

novag

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2017, 07:32:26 AM

Strong support on 160-170mBtc

Donate for the support of a new Martial arts Style - Aikivindo = Aikido + Wing-Chun (in Ukraine) 5168757318423326 PrivatBank.
http://aikivindo.com.ua
BTC:1DpRaQjdVmrkSopRV8p9RdwvBMWNA9faCS
CryptoPH

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

<3 Crypto

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 07:33:03 AM

Worth a read...

IMHO, that's good news. At least there are more people that will be in FOMO when Monero get into mainstream and price pops to uncharted territories.  Cool

kurious
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 08:19:42 AM

I didn't ragedump, nor am I 'poutraged', I don't even think you have any obligation to do anything in particular.  I would just rather you didn't sneer at anyone who isn't (like you) gleefully happy about what happened, and I have voiced this opinion.  That's all.

Nice to know you didn't ragedump.

We've already discussed the many reasons some people are "gleefully happy" in reaction to the polarizing #FluffyGate performance art installation.

Calling my good-natured wish for Fluffy to enjoy National Wine Day a "sneer" is the part where you were poutraged (IIRC).  Cheesy

This week XMR outperformed BTC by 6.5%.  Our Chief Entertainment Officer's next prank can't come soon enough!  Cool

It wasn’t you wishing him well for National Wine Day, no - I am a wine lover, too.

And I have no problem with FP, he seems a decent enough sort, if capable of an (at least arguably) ill-judged joke.

Spilled milk - I have moved on, I trust you can too.  There has been enough said on this whole affair now.  

I assume we can agree we both share an interest in the best truly fungible digital currency and wish all the devs and Monero well.

我想要火箭和火车
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2017, 10:45:28 AM

There has been enough said on this whole affair now.  

I assume we can agree we both share an interest in the best truly fungible digital currency and wish all the devs and Monero well.

Yes indeed!  Barolo and hugs all around!   Smiley Smiley Smiley

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 ... 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 [1485] 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: