Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:51:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 [2070] 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312339 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
November 19, 2019, 10:59:25 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Well this is huge, time to warn the guys to dump. Smiley

It's not that huge. The main thing that got deflated here was the hype about MW being a strong privacy technology when in fact it has always been weak privacy with some other benefits, and sober (non-hype) review and analysis has said that all along.

Then again, I guess given the level of hype with this one (more than most, to say the least), deflating that could indeed be seen as somewhat huge.
The  cut-throughs don't successfully eliminate data, because surely some entity logs all the transactions in real time and stores the data.  And there you have it, a full blockchain.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
November 19, 2019, 03:32:33 PM

So what's all this talk about monero.org being hacked and some malware being downloaded from the site?  How does something like this happen to one of the biggest crypto projects in the space?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
November 19, 2019, 04:32:55 PM

So what's all this talk about monero.org being hacked and some malware being downloaded from the site?  How does something like this happen to one of the biggest crypto projects in the space?

I just read about it. Apparently for 35 minutes download links on getmonero.org for new CLI were changed. https://np.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/dyfozs/security_warning_cli_binaries_available_on/

Locks are for honest people. They all can be broken. What is nice to see is that it was noticed in 35 minutes.

Oh and GRIN main trait is how scalable it is and not how unlikable are its transactions.  If you look here on this 14 videos of Breaking Monero. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsSYUeVwrHBnAUre2G_LYDsdo-tD0ov-y  And see how many possible attacks were/are to increase chances for attacker to link Monero transactions. Then you can imagine how many episodes can someone make about Grin.
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
November 19, 2019, 04:37:45 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

I just read about it. Apparently for 35 minutes download links on getmonero.org for new CLI were changed. https://np.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/dyfozs/security_warning_cli_binaries_available_on/

Locks are for honest people. They all can be broken. What is nice to see is that it was noticed in 35 minutes.

perhaps someone can automate a test from now on so it can be constantly checked
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
November 19, 2019, 04:46:44 PM

It is also possible to use cryptography to accomplish this goal.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4865

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
November 19, 2019, 11:36:46 PM

The  cut-throughs don't successfully eliminate data, because surely some entity logs all the transactions in real time and stores the data.  And there you have it, a full blockchain.

You can bet your Last Romero there are full logging sniffer nodes on this from day one.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 20, 2019, 05:23:31 AM

So what's all this talk about monero.org being hacked and some malware being downloaded from the site?  How does something like this happen to one of the biggest crypto projects in the space?

It is also possible to use cryptography to accomplish this goal.

Well, yes, it was always the case that people could check signatures on the binaries they download and would have detected it immediately.

Perhaps that is the point you are making.
NeironixNV

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

https://neironix.io/

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2019, 08:27:43 AM

Monero will have a hard fork soon, but something the price does not want to grow, the cue ball spoiled all plans. Who thinks that after a hard fork, Monero will show good growth or will the cue ball dictate their rules of the game?  Sad

https://neironix.io/
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
November 20, 2019, 06:11:36 PM

you think the french government has not been monitoring this project?  Roll Eyes  lmfao ~ what part of honeypot are you confused about?

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
November 20, 2019, 10:46:43 PM

Monero will have a hard fork soon, but something the price does not want to grow, the cue ball spoiled all plans. Who thinks that after a hard fork, Monero will show good growth or will the cue ball dictate their rules of the game?  Sad

Masterluc, is that you?

But I do not think the hard fork will have much impact on Monero price.
bitcoinvest
Legendary

Activity: 1124
Merit: 1000

13eJ4feC39JzbdY2K9W3ytQzWhunsxL83X

View Profile
November 21, 2019, 02:33:59 PM

why on earth Monero needs fork? i think we have 3-4 versions already ( i might be wrong  maybe more - can't keep up with those forks )
gembitz

View Profile
November 21, 2019, 04:02:20 PM

why on earth Monero needs fork? i think we have 3-4 versions already ( i might be wrong  maybe more - can't keep up with those forks )

fluffy pony and his government yes men flexing their dominance over the codebase pure and simple.  Grin  reeee

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
November 21, 2019, 05:22:16 PM

I'm sorry but these comments are generally not helpful and are also uninformed.

In reality we call these things network upgrades.

Monero is providing (as usual) a fairly valuable testbed for the entire crypto space in doing what we are doing here.

These forks are specifically aimed at ASIC resistance which is a hotly debated topic across the crypto space.  Personally I am in favor of selecting a commoditizable algorithm (such as SHA-3) but since the community is valuing trying one more shot at ASIC resistance then I will go along with them.

This fork has nothing to do with creating a new coin, or anything like that.  There are certainly arguments that can be made for and against this approach, but there are not currently being made above.

I suggest brushing up on the topic.  The github, or reddit are good places to learn about what we are doing and why.
gembitz

View Profile
November 21, 2019, 08:04:54 PM

I'm sorry but these comments are generally not helpful and are also uninformed.

In reality we call these things network upgrades.

Monero is providing (as usual) a fairly valuable testbed for the entire crypto space in doing what we are doing here.

These forks are specifically aimed at ASIC resistance which is a hotly debated topic across the crypto space.  Personally I am in favor of selecting a commoditizable algorithm (such as SHA-3) but since the community is valuing trying one more shot at ASIC resistance then I will go along with them.

This fork has nothing to do with creating a new coin, or anything like that.  There are certainly arguments that can be made for and against this approach, but there are not currently being made above.

I suggest brushing up on the topic.  The github, or reddit are good places to learn about what we are doing and why.

TL;DR ===> BOT NET FRIENDLY HARDFORK INKOMINGGGG  Cheesy Grin Wink REEEE

Febo
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2019, 09:41:51 PM

Actually there are 12 versions. You can see map of full nodes here. https://community.xmr.to/network/   It looks like no one runs first 8 versions.   around 1/3 already runs new binaries. 10 days ahead of schedule.

Monero forks to upgrade its protocol. Since it is on the edge of technology, there is so much development that it had to happen every half year. Now Monero is quite built and all this progress should slowly slow down.  Since Monero ecosystem grow over time, this protocol upgrades are harder and harder to smoothly accomplish(more smaller exchanges and merchants, that dont have time to monitor Monero development, need to upgrade). We will for sure see new upgrade in spring next year, then my speculation is that they might move to be every year instead of every half year as right now. But I could be totally wrong. And there could come some sudden easy to implement innovation that would make Monero transactions faster, smaller or  harder to trace.  
Globb0
Legendary

Free spirit

View Profile
November 22, 2019, 09:12:44 AM

Its agile
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2019, 01:17:34 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Actually there are 12 versions. You can see map of full nodes here. https://community.xmr.to/network/   It looks like no one runs first 8 versions.   around 1/3 already runs new binaries. 10 days ahead of schedule.

Monero forks to upgrade its protocol. Since it is on the edge of technology, there is so much development that it had to happen every half year. Now Monero is quite built and all this progress should slowly slow down.  Since Monero ecosystem grow over time, this protocol upgrades are harder and harder to smoothly accomplish(more smaller exchanges and merchants, that dont have time to monitor Monero development, need to upgrade). We will for sure see new upgrade in spring next year, then my speculation is that they might move to be every year instead of every half year as right now. But I could be totally wrong. And there could come some sudden easy to implement innovation that would make Monero transactions faster, smaller or  harder to trace. 

Imo, it should continue to be every 6 months-a year indefinitely. I think allowing things to stagnate would be the worst thing for Monero, because you can see what happens to things like Bitcoin if politics get in the way of improving the protocol and keeping “up-to date” tech in.
gembitz

View Profile
November 22, 2019, 03:58:40 PM

Actually there are 12 versions. You can see map of full nodes here. https://community.xmr.to/network/   It looks like no one runs first 8 versions.   around 1/3 already runs new binaries. 10 days ahead of schedule.

Monero forks to upgrade its protocol. Since it is on the edge of technology, there is so much development that it had to happen every half year. Now Monero is quite built and all this progress should slowly slow down.  Since Monero ecosystem grow over time, this protocol upgrades are harder and harder to smoothly accomplish(more smaller exchanges and merchants, that dont have time to monitor Monero development, need to upgrade). We will for sure see new upgrade in spring next year, then my speculation is that they might move to be every year instead of every half year as right now. But I could be totally wrong. And there could come some sudden easy to implement innovation that would make Monero transactions faster, smaller or  harder to trace. 

Imo, it should continue to be every 6 months-a year indefinitely. I think allowing things to stagnate would be the worst thing for Monero, because you can see what happens to things like Bitcoin if politics get in the way of improving the protocol and keeping “up-to date” tech in.

what individual controls the repo?  Roll Eyes  lmfao

Febo
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2019, 01:07:19 AM

Some updates need hardfork and some dont. Talking about this is beyond my knowledge.  And is so far ahead. It is just how I heard people feel. Bitcoin is unmovable object. Even unstoppable force could not move it an inch.
Globb0
Legendary

Free spirit

View Profile
November 23, 2019, 08:49:08 AM

Everything in the world is a matter of perspective

Stagnating         Maturing

Pages: « 1 ... 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 [2070] 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: