March 19, 2024, 02:00:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: ...
. - 0 (0%)
.. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 130 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigamining / Teramining  (Read 216374 times)
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1128

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 01:14:33 PM

"they are going to sell millions of ASIC chips"  Where?  To the millions of miners out there?  Cheesy

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 01:42:57 PM

mhash: 5 bid: 1.310 ask: 1.375
bid/mh: 0.262 ask/mh: 0.275

Not a bad deal at all?
Yes, YABMC looks really nice at ask/mh: 0.265 but this is only because div payment has caused a small sell off.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
totaleclipseofthebank

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 10:34:33 PM

LOL at the price action on gigamining due to this thread

Mining bonds are an interesting investment, since you should expect the price of bonds to depreciate as mining capacity increases. But the annualized yield of something like gigamining is somewhere around 200%, so you are still making a lot of money in the dividends.

The idea is that depreciation of face value will be more than offset by your dividend payouts, which you can then reinvest into higher Mhash/BTC bonds as mining efficiency improves.

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 12:03:27 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2012, 12:42:01 AM by Epoch

Mining bonds are an interesting investment, since you should expect the price of bonds to depreciate as mining capacity increases. But the annualized yield of something like gigamining is somewhere around 200%, so you are still making a lot of money in the dividends.

Just curious: how to you get the annualized yield of a gigamining bond to be anywhere near 200%? A 5Mhps bond yields 0.10 BTC/month (http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php). That's 1.2 BTC/year at the current difficulty. But the bond cost you, say, 1.4 BTC.

So after a full year of dividends, you still haven't paid that bond off. Which indicates a yield closer to 85% (not 200%). And keep in mind that difficulty is, in general, increasing, so you'll likely find that a year of dividends will be LESS than 1.2 BTC.

Consider this: a BFL Single hashes at 830Mhps and costs 110 BTC. 830Mhps worth of gigamining bonds is 166 bonds. For a cost of 1.3 BTC/bond, you're paying 215 BTC for the equivalent of a device worth 110 BTC. You could buy TWO Singles for that price and get TWICE the income the bonds would give you.

EDIT: As sunnankar points out below, a more reasonable 'value' of a 5Mphs mining bond in the current mining environment is closer to 1.0-1.1 BTC/bond. I agree with that assessment.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 12:05:36 AM

Mining bonds are an interesting investment

Well, just looks like price discovery at work. Based on my analysis a 1 Mh/s bond from a strong credit risk counter-party, which I would consider both GIGAMINING and BITBOND to be, should be valued around .2-.22 BTC which would put the GIGAMINING bond at about 1-1.1 BTC plus a slight premium based on the NPV of the PPS bonus.

Perhaps most investors, or should we say gamblers, are just not able to do a very competent discounted future cash flow for their valuation or even rudimentary financial analysis for that matter.

What is worse are these people lending out their GIGAMINING and BITBOND shares to counter-parties of questionable financial capability posting minimal collateral.

For example, in this thread we see: 30 BITBOND with 1 BTC collateral, 100 GIGAMINING with 1 BTC collateral and 30 GIGAMINING with 1 BTC collateral. Based on 5 day trading volume for the underlyings that is about 184 BTC in the notional with 3 BTC collateral or 61.33x which means if the price rises by a mere 1.63% then the collateral is gone. There is a reason for the Regulation T initial margin requirement being about 50% and not 1.63%. Good luck collecting on a margin call.

But we are getting to see what is so often the case with investing: You make money when you buy not when you sell.

totaleclipseofthebank

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 12:15:23 AM

Just curious: how to you get the annualized yield of a gigamining bond to be anywhere near 200%? A 5Mhps bond yields 0.10 BTC/month (http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php). That's 1.2 BTC/year at the current difficulty. But the bond cost you, say, 1.4 BTC.

So after a full year of dividends, you still haven't paid that bond off. Which indicates a yield closer to 85% (not 200%). And keep in mind that difficulty is, in general, increasing, so you'll likely find that a year of dividends will be LESS than 1.2 BTC.

gigamining: 1.38btc
dividend/wk: 0.022btc
weekly yield: 1.59%
annual yield: (1+0.0159)^52-1 = 127%

Its still really high. I'm assuming compounding returns.

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
totaleclipseofthebank

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 12:19:40 AM

Mining bonds are an interesting investment

Well, just looks like price discovery at work. Based on my analysis a 1 Mh/s bond from a strong credit risk counter-party, which I would consider both GIGAMINING and BITBOND to be, should be valued around .2-.22 BTC which would put the GIGAMINING bond at about 1-1.1 BTC plus a slight premium based on the NPV of the PPS bonus.

Perhaps most investors, or should we say gamblers, are just not able to do a very competent discounted future cash flow for their valuation or even rudimentary financial analysis for that matter.

What is worse are these people lending out their GIGAMINING and BITBOND shares to counter-parties of questionable financial capability posting minimal collateral.

For example, in this thread we see: 30 BITBOND with 1 BTC collateral, 100 GIGAMINING with 1 BTC collateral and 30 GIGAMINING with 1 BTC collateral. Based on 5 day trading volume for the underlyings that is about 184 BTC in the notional with 3 BTC collateral or 61.33x which means if the price rises by a mere 1.63% then the collateral is gone. There is a reason for the Regulation T initial margin requirement being about 50% and not 1.63%. Good luck collecting on a margin call.

But we are getting to see what is so often the case with investing: You make money when you buy not when you sell.

Not to mention that whoever is "borrowing" your bonds is apparently going to deliver your dividends as well...hfgl w/ that

You are absolutely right about the price of the bonds being heavily discounted due to counter-party risk, but 100+% yield, where the mining math adds up, is good for even the junkiest of junk bonds.

GLBSE rating agency business opportunity, perhaps?

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 12:20:54 AM

Its nuts to be buying a fixed mining bond that doesnt allow for growth in the difficulty. Take a look at something like MOORE which accounts for this at least.

totaleclipseofthebank

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 12:21:58 AM

But its the annual rate of it being nuts that matters.

edit: and yes, I'll be investing/reinvesting some into MOORE--I like the idea

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 12:32:16 AM

gigamining: 1.38btc
dividend/wk: 0.022btc
weekly yield: 1.59%
annual yield: (1+0.0159)^52-1 = 127%

Its still really high. I'm assuming compounding returns.

difficulty changes - more likely increasing with more fpgas coming on board and potential asics,
mining rewards halving in december
good luck making that 127% roi in a year
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 12:48:58 AM

Let me attempt to simplify this whole debate.

Let X = time

Let Y = Total dividends paid out per bond in BTC

Notice how over time X the bond will decrease its weekly payout. It's weekly payout will approach zero. But its total payout Y will approach some unknown amount of Bitcoin. Nobody really knows how many Bitcoins each bond will put out over its entire life. Right now the current price of a bond is something like 1.35 BTC.

Each individual has to ask themself "do I believe the total payout of this bond in its life will be less than or greater than 1.35 BTC?"

If you believe the total dividend paid per bond will be less than 1.35 BTC then do not purchase the bond. If you think it will be greater than 1.35, you then have to ask yourself by how much? That how much will determine whether or not you think it's a wise investment.

Nobody knows for sure.

If you're interested in MY two bitcents. I'm bullish on the bonds. I think they'll pay out far more than their current price. But I could be wrong. It is a gamble.

I do think, eventually, somebody will do a very thorough number crunching analysis of fixed bonds ROI, which will help to set the price of these sorts of bonds in the future. Then the only real differences in the price of bonds will be credit rating, also to be determined by reputable Bitcoin credit agencies.

Edit: And then there is also resale value to the bond which will shift the graph a certain amount. So that'll need to be factored in as well.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
totaleclipseofthebank

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 12:59:06 AM

I wouldn't think that 5mh/s will be worth as much in a year as it is now. I just think that over the next few months, the dividend payments will be greater than the asset depreciation--i.e. the mining difficulty will rise more slowly than the dividend yield.

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
sunnankar
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 01:07:14 AM

I do think, eventually, somebody will do a very thorough number crunching analysis of fixed bonds ROI, which will help to set the price of these sorts of bonds in the future. Then the only real differences in the price of bonds will be credit rating, also to be determined by reputable Bitcoin credit agencies.

Oh, there has been some thorough number crunching analysis which has been done. They are largely depleting assets and somewhat like an oil well.

The three main variables are (1) BTC:USD exchange rate, (2) network difficulity and (3) counter-party risk.

I had lunch with a couple attorneys last week and we discussed securitizing bonds. Just goes to show that there are all types of interesting opportunities available with this nascent economy.

Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 01:10:41 AM

Oh, there has been some thorough number crunching analysis which has been done. They are largely depleting assets and somewhat like an oil well.

The three main variables are (1) BTC:USD exchange rate, (2) network difficulity and (3) counter-party risk.

I had lunch with a couple attorneys last week and we discussed securitizing bonds. Just goes to show that there are all types of interesting opportunities available with this nascent economy.

Where can these numbers be found? Also, you're bullish on them?

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:20:18 AM

1 and 2 easy, it's the third one that's hard - hence my starting a credit rating discussion to actually collect those ideas.
sunnankar
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 01:26:09 AM

Trade secrets. Information asymmetry is just a fact of the universe.

Prefer not to say although I would like to see GLBSE introduce both the ability to use securities as collateral, for example lines of credit or margin to buy other securities, and the ability to short.

1 and 2 easy, it's the third one that's hard - hence my starting a credit rating discussion to actually collect those ideas.

No, 1 & 2 are not easy as there are currently no reputable sufficiently liquid instruments, that I am aware of, to hedge in either direction the volatility of either.

I do think the credit rating idea has a tremendous market need and not just for bonds but for developing the BitCoin economy's credit markets in general. Perhaps something like Prosper and a credit score. But no need to threadjack GIGAMINING's to discuss that.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 01:40:01 AM

Why does (1) matter except for it's potential effects on (2)?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 01:49:27 AM

No, 1 & 2 are not easy as there are currently no reputable sufficiently liquid instruments, that I am aware of, to hedge in either direction the volatility of either.

I do think the credit rating idea has a tremendous market need and not just for bonds but for developing the BitCoin economy's credit markets in general. Perhaps something like Prosper and a credit score. But no need to threadjack GIGAMINING's to discuss that.

The current numbers are easy, but your post wasn't about future rates or even hedging instruments.  Anyone can look up the BTC/USD cross rate and difficulty.

However, knowing the forward curve for them would be much more challenging - possibly too illiquid a market to have futures on them yet.
sunnankar
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 02:04:53 AM

The current numbers are easy, but your post wasn't about future rates or even hedging instruments.  Anyone can look up the BTC/USD cross rate and difficulty.

Well, obviously. I assumed we were talking about doing a NPV from the DFCF of the bond in which case the current numbers are almost irrelevant.

sunnankar
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 02:07:05 AM

Why does (1) matter except for it's potential effects on (2)?

Want to buy a Zimbabwean govt bond?

The issue is your numeraire.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 130 »
  Print  

Jump to: