Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:20:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 129 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board  (Read 286362 times)
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 04:16:39 PM

Yohan, do please consider speaking with the gentleman who authored the thread here; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49971.0

would love to see 980MHs out of these or whatever could be achieved considering hardware or other limitations.. ;p

cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 02:28:04 AM

Yohan, do please consider speaking with the gentleman who authored the thread here; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49971.0

would love to see 980MHs out of these or whatever could be achieved considering hardware or other limitations.. ;p

cheers

+1

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
testconpastas2

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 06:49:27 AM

Hi Yohan .  Do you know the actual distance between these holes?  i 'd like to start building my rack structure .  Do you know if different versions of pcb  1- 1.1 ( or even newer ones) are "hole compatible" .

will pre- orders   be available till end of june? I'd rather test my boards before order more of them.

thank you.

Bitmessage: BM-2DAetLWJBKWHZoPbNCgg5z8jwaPpDYWwd4
gpg key id:C6EF5CE3
yohan (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 07:13:42 AM

The Issue 1.1 board is 6mm longer. We added 2 extra holes on RHS so that stacking didn't have to use the fan mounts which incidentially are on a 105mm grid that's standard for a 120mm fan. I will try and get a basic mechanical drawing put together this week for the Issue 1.1.

The offer price is until the end of June. After then it goes up to GBP £600/ US $960 and goodness knows how many Euros.
testconpastas2

Activity: 199

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 07:39:31 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2012, 09:56:28 AM by testconpastas2

The Issue 1.1 board is 6mm longer. We added 2 extra holes on RHS so that stacking didn't have to use the fan mounts which incidentially are on a 105mm grid that's standard for a 120mm fan. I will try and get a basic mechanical drawing put together this week for the Issue 1.1.

The offer price is until the end of June. After then it goes up to GBP £600/ US $960 and goodness knows how many Euros.

Ok. Knowing the 4 "squared form" holes are 105mm ( for a 120mm fan) is enough for me  i can stack them using these 4 holes  ( only hope newer issues have a 120 mm fan too Wink )

do you know holes diameter?   3 or 4 mm ??  

Thank you

PS: looking forward  for the distances between the new RHS holes and the LHS old ones .

Bitmessage: BM-2DAetLWJBKWHZoPbNCgg5z8jwaPpDYWwd4
gpg key id:C6EF5CE3
yohan (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 11:06:46 AM

The main holes are specified at 4.5mm for a 4mm thread to pass through. Heatsink holes are 3mm.

We will be fitting an Arctic F12 fan as standard.
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 03:39:11 PM

I'm interested in jumping in the deep end with two of these.

I don't really fully understand FPGA, still reading up on it.
However It's easy to understand that FPGA will save me a lot in energy costs.

I assume it's still available at £400 each, if I shoot off an email?

yohan (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 04:42:49 PM

Order book is still open. Currently orders placed today are being quoted for July delivery.
MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 04:47:10 PM

Keep in mind that is without VAT which is about +20% in most european countries.
jarsumarsu
Donator

Activity: 134

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 05:37:47 PM

Pre-ordered four pcs...  Smiley
nbtcminer

Activity: 249

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 08:28:52 PM

Don't know how much the price difference is in the UK, but you might want to consider using this fan:

http://www.silenx.com/quiet.fans.asp?sku=efx-12-15

More quiet, good air flow and fairly cheap. This one is thanks for Fizzisist for making me a fan (pun intended)!
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 08:37:13 PM

Keep in mind that is without VAT which is about +20% in most european countries.

Is this confirmed ? Undecided 400 GBP sounded so much better than 480 now
yohan (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 08:48:53 PM

FAN spec looks good but I looked up the nearest distributor and no listing of the 12cm model that I could so it sort of suggests that it's very new and maybe not quite available yet.

We are committed anyway in a large way to the Arctic F12. It's pretty quiet and more to the point available in large numbers to us in a short leadtime. When you start looking at the quantities we are buying many of them have to take the boat from china and that's usually 6 weeks min delivery.

If people want they have the option to change the fan themselves it will be simple enough to do that.

VAT

UK VAT applies to all sales to the UK. It also applies to other EU countries unless we are dealing with an entitly like a company that has a local VAT number which we have to check and fully verify before we sell without applying VAT. We do then have to report all of these VAT free sales via ECSL so the EU does track this. The end entity then still has to VAT but it is in their own local system which is at local rate. I think most countries are similar rates to our 20%.

Outside of the EU we don't charge VAT but local taxes or duties may apply which will be usually collected by the courier.
Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 10:59:00 PM

I couldn't easily find this, but what are the dimensions of the board?

DILLIGAF

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 11:33:28 PM

I couldn't easily find this, but what are the dimensions of the board?

From the clues in the thread so far just over a 120mm fan wide and about one and a half long judging from the picture above..
dirtycat

Activity: 456

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 11:46:13 PM

sorry I havent been watching the thread but..has anyone even got one of these to mine? is there any specs - mh/s.. watts.. ? or is everyone just impulse buying and hoping for the best?

poop!
Glasswalker

Activity: 407

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2012, 12:25:18 AM

sorry I havent been watching the thread but..has anyone even got one of these to mine? is there any specs - mh/s.. watts.. ? or is everyone just impulse buying and hoping for the best?

They are currently in pre-order. (meaning they haven't shipped any yet). People here are pre-ordering (no money changes hands until they are ready to ship). Also there is a fair bit of confidence in Enterpoint's ability to deliver. The pre-order is at a reduced price, so people are taking advantage of it to get cheap, efficient, hashing power.

There are speculative stats, but no confirmed 100% firm stats yet. Enterpoint is still doing testing on their prototype boards. Once they have validated they can post real numbers. Right now the info from enterpoint is that it will run Icarus bitstream as-is. Meaning 190MHash/s per FPGA (4x FPGAs). But there is hints that it will have dynamic clock control (from the 5th FPGA) which is something icarus can't do. Meaning it could potentially overclock and out-perform the Icarus if cooled well (it has heat sensors so it will throttle back if overheating to protect from damage). But this is all unconfirmed. The feature is there, but whether it will provide any hashing benefits in the immediate release window is unknown. It may require a more "custom" bitstream to use all the hardware features on the board.

So that said, the expectation is that the board will draw somewhere under 50Watt (based on the power supplies on the board, and the fact the chips are identical to the icarus, and using the icarus bitstream should draw almost exactly what 2x icarus do, plus a watt or two in overhead for the added circuitry on the board), and provide anywhere from (speculation based on above info) 760MHash/s to 850MHash/s depending (based on the Icarus firmware).

There is also the option it's performance can increase with a new bitstream. If we can get the chips up to 250MHash/chip for example, that's 1GHash/s even per board. (but again, speculation, based on the fact that at least one other on the forum claims to have a bitstream running at 250MHash/chip)

Does that help?

BattleDrome: Blockchain based Gladiator Combat for fun and profit!
http://www.battledrome.io/
dirtycat

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 12:28:29 AM

They are currently in pre-order. (meaning they haven't shipped any yet). People here are pre-ordering (no money changes hands until they are ready to ship). Also there is a fair bit of confidence in Enterpoint's ability to deliver. The pre-order is at a reduced price, so people are taking advantage of it to get cheap, efficient, hashing power.

There are speculative stats, but no confirmed 100% firm stats yet. Enterpoint is still doing testing on their prototype boards. Once they have validated they can post real numbers. Right now the info from enterpoint is that it will run Icarus bitstream as-is. Meaning 190MHash/s per FPGA (4x FPGAs). But there is hints that it will have dynamic clock control (from the 5th FPGA) which is something icarus can't do. Meaning it could potentially overclock and out-perform the Icarus if cooled well (it has heat sensors so it will throttle back if overheating to protect from damage). But this is all unconfirmed. The feature is there, but whether it will provide any hashing benefits in the immediate release window is unknown. It may require a more "custom" bitstream to use all the hardware features on the board.

So that said, the expectation is that the board will draw somewhere under 50Watt (based on the power supplies on the board, and the fact the chips are identical to the icarus, and using the icarus bitstream should draw almost exactly what 2x icarus do, plus a watt or two in overhead for the added circuitry on the board), and provide anywhere from (speculation based on above info) 760MHash/s to 850MHash/s depending (based on the Icarus firmware).

There is also the option it's performance can increase with a new bitstream. If we can get the chips up to 250MHash/chip for example, that's 1GHash/s even per board. (but again, speculation, based on the fact that at least one other on the forum claims to have a bitstream running at 250MHash/chip)

Does that help?

thanks for defining "pre-order" I was having a lot of trouble with that.

and yes you helped a lot.. there are no specs at all just guesses.. thanks!

poop!
Glasswalker

Activity: 407

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2012, 12:44:19 AM

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. your post implied you didn't realize it was a preorder, so I was clarifying. I was mistaken.

As for there being no specs, that's not accurate. There are tons of specs. Hardware specs. IE we know what chips, we know how many, we know how they are arranged (to some degree) we know the list of features on the board, it's power supply circuit capabilities, and it's communications capabilities. And we know it's price. We can make fairly clean educated guesses by the fact that the board was designed to be 100% wire to wire compatible with an Icarus (2 of them side by side). With added features. And due to the nature of how FPGAs work, we can safely assume the icarus bitstream will run on it. (because of the addition of the flexible "control" FPGA).

By knowing that the FPGAs are identical, and that they will run the icarus bitstream what that allows us to assume is that they will see very similar hashing rate to 2x the icarus board at roughly 2x the power consumption of an icarus board (same power efficiency roughly). At $640/board that's $160 per FPGA for an S6LX150. Where the Icarus was $470 (for the last 50) or $500+ prior to that (for most of the boards out there). Meaning approx $250/fpga. That leaves a lot of wiggle room in the stats while still keeping this option more profitable than the Icarus. Which is why people are jumping on the pre-order (in my opinion anyway) Smiley

So yes there is no firm hashrate and power stats yet, but there are plenty of specs out that are firm. In addition Enterpoint has been doing VERY good at meeting their promises, and being very open and active communication in this thread. And they have said they are testing, once they've confirmed it can hash and have stats on that, they will post them (before the sale of the board).

Nobody has one but Enterpoint right now, but they should be shipping the first couple units out within a week or two.

Until then we're all in the same boat Wink waiting.

BattleDrome: Blockchain based Gladiator Combat for fun and profit!
http://www.battledrome.io/
dirtycat

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 12:50:49 AM

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. your post implied you didn't realize it was a preorder, so I was clarifying. I was mistaken.

As for there being no specs, that's not accurate. There are tons of specs. Hardware specs. IE we know what chips, we know how many, we know how they are arranged (to some degree) we know the list of features on the board, it's power supply circuit capabilities, and it's communications capabilities. And we know it's price. We can make fairly clean educated guesses by the fact that the board was designed to be 100% wire to wire compatible with an Icarus (2 of them side by side). With added features. And due to the nature of how FPGAs work, we can safely assume the icarus bitstream will run on it. (because of the addition of the flexible "control" FPGA).

By knowing that the FPGAs are identical, and that they will run the icarus bitstream what that allows us to assume is that they will see very similar hashing rate to 2x the icarus board at roughly 2x the power consumption of an icarus board (same power efficiency roughly). At $640/board that's $160 per FPGA for an S6LX150. Where the Icarus was $470 (for the last 50) or $500+ prior to that (for most of the boards out there). Meaning approx $250/fpga. That leaves a lot of wiggle room in the stats while still keeping this option more profitable than the Icarus. Which is why people are jumping on the pre-order (in my opinion anyway) Smiley

So yes there is no firm hashrate and power stats yet, but there are plenty of specs out that are firm. In addition Enterpoint has been doing VERY good at meeting their promises, and being very open and active communication in this thread. And they have said they are testing, once they've confirmed it can hash and have stats on that, they will post them (before the sale of the board).

Nobody has one but Enterpoint right now, but they should be shipping the first couple units out within a week or two.

Until then we're all in the same boat Wink waiting.

not offended at all! thanks for your help really! I dont doubt the manufacturer at all just eager to see what these things can do!

poop!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 129 »
  Print  

Jump to: