Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:01:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 [2112] 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 2138 2139 2140 2141 2142 2143 2144 2145 2146 2147 2148 2149 2150 2151 2152 2153 2154 2155 2156 2157 2158 2159 2160 2161 2162 ... 2248 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KanoPool since 2014 🐈 - PPLNS and Solo 0.5% fee - Worldwide - 2435 blocks  (Read 5350125 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (50 posts by 3+ users deleted.)
kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 10:06:06 AM

just pointed 8 S9s, waiting for my 5ND  Roll Eyes

Should be close to six days even now on the 5nd

MINE ON WITH KANO-SAN!

is reaching the 5ND relative to the hashrate?
Relative to the pool hash rate yes.

The 5Nd is an amount of shares sent to the pool equivalent to 5 average 100% blocks of shares.

If the pool hash rate hasn't changed (but it does all the time Tongue) then the 5Nd on the Help->Payouts page should be close.

If the pool doubled in size then it would take half as long to get to 5Nd
If the pool halved in size then it would take twice as long to get to 5Nd

When we find a block, your reward is based on how much of the last 5Nd of pool shares you submitted.
So if you've only been mining for e.g. 4Nd then you'd get 4/5 of what your hash rate would expect.
Same as if you stop mining, your shares last for 5Nd after you leave.
It takes 5Nd to reward each share.

If you didn't already, have a read of the Help->Payouts page.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Apprentice

Activity: 500
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 10:06:57 AM

still unable to setup 2FA, no matter what I do!
always giving invalid code
Use the apps suggested on the web site and make sure your device has the correct time to the second.

You can check the time is correct on your device by just going to https://kano.is/
In the bottom left is the correct current server UTC time.
In the bottom right is the local time your device thinks it is.
Check they have the same or very close MM:SS
They are quite small so you'll have to expand them to read them.

If they are more than a few seconds different then you will regularly have trouble using 2FA as it explains on the 2FA page.
It they are out by 30 seconds then you wont be able to ever get it right.

thanks. it works with freeOTP.
was trying to use google authenticator
Apprentice

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 10:09:51 AM

just pointed 8 S9s, waiting for my 5ND  Roll Eyes

MINE ON WITH KANO-SAN!

The 5Nd is an amount of shares sent to the pool equivalent to 5 average 100% blocks of shares.

If the pool hash rate hasn't changed (but it does all the time Tongue) then the 5Nd on the Help->Payouts page should be close.

When we find a block, your reward is based on how much of the last 5Nd of pool shares you submitted.
So if you've only been mining for e.g. 4Nd then you'd get 4/5 of what your hash rate would expect.

always great info here. not in any way complaining and anything else. I am aware of the payments, pool system....

so if one do have 14T and reach the 5ND, and later throw on top it 100T?

kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 10:14:24 AM

just pointed 8 S9s, waiting for my 5ND  Roll Eyes

MINE ON WITH KANO-SAN!

always great info here. not in any way complaining and anything else. I am aware of the payments, pool system....

so if I do have 14T and reach the 5ND, and I throw on top it 100T?
It will take 5Nd to change from 14T to 114T

Again it's coz shares submitted take 5Nd to be rewarded - to reduce variance, their reward gets averaged over the equivalent of 5 100% blocks.

So it takes 5Nd to change your hash rate (up or down)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
BSGMiner

Activity: 490
Merit: 16

1xA921 + 1xA741 + Backup-->1xA6 ;)

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 11:59:35 AM

Block by sidewinder! Cheesy

A fast start for our 1st of BLOCK TUESDAY! Cheesy
Yay! Here's to a few more today! Wink

The BTCest mining pool (<1% fee): KanoPool
***PPLNS rewards averaged over the 5Nd to reduce variance***
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 01:13:35 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2018, 01:30:44 PM by kano

Heh this was fun to see in slush, in response to my post about the terrible luck:

Unlike some competitors, we have always focused our energy and attention on improving our service rater than accusing our competition and we will continue to do so. Bad luck happens and probability of one in X surely does not refute it. We believe that we are the most transparent pool around with the huge amount of data we are publishing. And considering the market share, it seems that miners appreciate this approach and our service better.

I guess it means "please ignore it coz we are bigger than them"
(then pretend it never happened)

When we had a run of bad luck last October ... that was a little better than their run of bad luck ... I did some important additions to KDB and reprocessed the 3 months of shares around the time of the bad luck to independently verify there were no lost blocks.
This involved adding completely independent share checking code to KDB, original code all written by me, not copied from anywhere else, and using the OpenSSL SHA256 hash function to also ensure the hash itself was done with different code to ckpool.
i.e. there are two completely independent checks of each share in KanoPool - one more accurate check done by KDB and one slightly less accurate check done by the ckpool code.

Also of note, the share log I have in KDB (which is in the old source git) permanently stored in the pgsql database, is what he is talking about regarding "a huge amount of data"
That data I use for the luck report - and I added it to the public KDB git long before they ever did it - and I also back processed it to the beginning of KanoPool in Sep 2014.

It also contains more information than they have.
However, no I do not publish it, since if you remove the unique user information you cannot verify the shares.
Not sure how they can do that without removing the user information ... but I can ensure you their data is one of either:
1) there is still user based information in their supplied data
or
2) you can't verify the supplied data

Edit: and to prove my point about the user information: a share that is a block will of course identify the user who found the block.
That will also identify the unique work that the user had, since in the coinbase data hashed there is a unique id for each miner.
Thus to verify the data for a block, you must know the unique id of the miner who found the block.
Thus you can of course associate other data published with the same miner and user.

rifleman74

Activity: 658
Merit: 21

4 s9's 2 821's

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 01:25:36 PM

Heh this was fun to see in slush, in response to my post about the terrible luck:

Unlike some competitors, we have always focused our energy and attention on improving our service rater than accusing our competition and we will continue to do so. Bad luck happens and probability of one in X surely does not refute it. We believe that we are the most transparent pool around with the huge amount of data we are publishing. And considering the market share, it seems that miners appreciate this approach and our service better.

I guess it means "please ignore it coz we are bigger than them"
(then pretend it never happened)

When we had a run of bad luck last October ... that was a little better than their run of bad luck ... I did some important additions to KDB and reprocessed the 3 months of shares around the time of the bad luck to independently verify there were no lost blocks.
This involved adding completely independent share checking code to KDB, original code all written by me, not copied from anywhere else, and using the OpenSSL SHA256 hash function to also ensure the hash itself was done with different code to ckpool.
i.e. there are two completely independent checks of each share in KanoPool - one more accurate check done by KDB and one slightly less accurate check done by the ckpool code.

Also of note, the share log I have in KDB (which is in the old source git) permanently stored in the pgsql database, is what he is talking about regarding "a huge amount of data"
That data I use for the luck report - and I added it to the public KDB git long before they ever did it - and I also back processed it to the beginning of KanoPool in Sep 2014.

It also contains more information than they have.
However, no I do not publish it, since if you remove the unique user information you cannot verify the shares.
Not sure how they can do that without removing the user information ... but I can ensure you their data is one of either:
1) there is still user based information in their supplied data
or
2) you can't verify the supplied data

Edit: and to prove my point about the user information: a share that is a block will of course identify the user who found the block.
That will also identify the unique work that the user had, since in the coinbase data hashed there is a unique id for each user.
Thus to verify the data for a block, you must know the unique id of the user who found the block.
Thus you can of course associate other data published with the same user.

lol, I said close to the same thing, just in a lot less words. 
HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 03:40:47 PM

still unable to setup 2FA, no matter what I do!
always giving invalid code

Close and open your applications make sure to use the code just right after it refresh on your application.

I had this issue before.

BSGMiner

Activity: 490
Merit: 16

1xA921 + 1xA741 + Backup-->1xA6 ;)

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 04:34:10 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2018, 05:50:22 PM by BSGMiner
Merited by DarkStar_ (1)

lol, I said close to the same thing, just in a lot less words.  
BTC ./kano --verbose Grin

The BTCest mining pool (<1% fee): KanoPool
***PPLNS rewards averaged over the 5Nd to reduce variance***
MrRoach Sir

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2018, 07:44:28 PM

Anyone here got any experience/advice to running a miner off a wifi hotspot?
minergain.com

Activity: 285
Merit: 10

Free mining equipment tracking and reporting

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2018, 07:54:27 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2018, 08:11:31 PM by minergain.com

I have been helping my neighbor with exactly that.  He has 13 miners running on a verizon unlimited.  Not sure unlimited is important since miners do not use all that much bandwidth.  He only has about 2 bars and I actually do not know his ping times, but he is mining consistently.  The hot spot does drop off once in a while (every few days) so I built up a system that resides inside of his firewall.  The system logs in to each miner each minute and if it is below 70% hash rate (can be overriden if a board is bad), it reboots the miner.  I am also putting in a Digital Loggers Web Power Switch that has built in ping ability.  I have the verizon box, the network switch, pfsense router and miner monitoring system on this device.  The first two power cycle if the 2 minute ping to 8.8.8.8 fails twice.  The other devices power cycle if they do not ping directly.

Obviously having more bars is better for ping times and if you ever travel, it is best to have some sort of reboot system in place (Edit - even if it is your neighbor!).

oops, I just re-read and a cell hotspot is not a wifi hotspot is it!  Oh well, the power switch still may be helpful to some here.  Mine On!

www.minergain.com - Free miner equipment tracking and reporting
Mike is a tiny miner: 8 S9, 1 D3, 6 RX470
I mine at Kano Pool, for better BTC Profits!
Apprentice

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 08:27:13 PM

I am running few miners using pi3, wifi to LAN + switch to connect multiple miners.
working great.
Shazam!!!

Activity: 350
Merit: 158

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2018, 08:35:50 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2018, 08:53:22 PM by Shazam!!!
Merited by DarkStar_ (4), NotFuzzyWarm (1), ccgllc (1)

In reference to the whole Flush, oops, Slush debacle:

The only reason that Pool got sooo big, ultimately, is Familiarity. Far too many people buy equipment, THEN research what
pool to join. They do a google search, and quickly identify Slush as " The World's First Bitcoin Mining Pool". Instantaneously
they think, it has to be the best because, it's the first, and it's soo big. Slush must be Trustworthy.

After joining, the user is mesmerized by the sleek gui, and the instant gratification of a daily payout, which every online
calculator makes them believe they must get. Most feel a sense of false security watching the blocks being found, one after
another, not ever understanding or learning what really happens "behind the scenes" of that slick gui. To them, everything
is simply "plug and play" and Slush is on call running the "boards".

It's at that point of blissful ignorance, that they are actually being taken advantage of, by a Corporate Committee. The users
don't realize, Slush, is comparable to The Wizard of Oz. Sure, he did start a Cooperative Mining effort, and began laying the
foundation for Pools, but he took the money and run, so to say. The reigns were handed over to a Committee. Slush went on
to other areas, and focused his time on Hardware Wallets. He just gets Royalties for "his" name at this point. That Committee
completely controls the pool, from behind the curtain of Slush's namesake.

Meanwhile, at Slushpool, the Committee focused on Growth. That's where things like Mass advertising, and a slick gui paid
off in spades. Imagine if you will, how much money that Committee earns, from that 2% fee. That's surely going to motivate
them, to keep the users coming to them. They completely understand, how advertising to the "instant gratification" miner
works. That's why Slush is now advertised as "The World's First Bitcoin Mining Pool to Support Asicboost". They worked
very closely with Halongmining, and their Marketing team, to ensure Slush would get the Lion's Share of DragonMint users.
Hell, Halongmining doesn't even advertise for the pool they test their equipment on, and that pool operator wrote their software.
They know users are Familiar with the name--Slush. They can appear to be Trustworthy to consumers, if Slush vouched for them.
It's a Corporate Win/Win that made Millions of dollars.

All the while, users see the pool plow through blocks, and they get their daily payouts. However, are they getting their fair share???
Do they even notice, or suspect any foul play??? Do any of them question how Trustful, the "World's First" is??? Probably not, and
that Corporate Committee understands that, as long as the user is receiving, what the online calculator tells them they SHOULD
earn, nobody will bat an eye. Most of their users have very little knowledge, of what their equipment ACTUALLY does. They just
buy it, hook it up, add Flush as their pool of choice and BOOM!!! They're the owner of a Magical Money Machine, just like the one
they read about online.

Ignorance is Bliss!!!

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
Apprentice

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 08:53:08 PM

In reference to the whole Flush, oops, Slush debacle:

The only reason that Pool got sooo big, ultimately, is Familiarity. Far too many people buy equipment, THEN research what
pool to join. They do a google search, and quickly identify Slush as " The World's First Bitcoin Mining Pool". Instantaneously
they think, it has to be the best because, it's the first, and it's soo big. Slush must be Trustworthy.

After joining, the user is mesmerized by the sleek gui, and the instant gratification of a daily payout, which every online
calculator makes them believe they must get. Most feel a sense of false security watching the blocks being found, one after
another, not ever understanding or learning what really happens "behind the scenes" of that slick gui. To them, everything
is simply "plug and play" and Slush is on call running the "boards".

It's at that point of blissful ignorance, that they are actually being taken advantage of, by a Corporate Committee. The users
don't realize, Slush, is comparable to The Wizard of Oz. Sure, he did start a Cooperative Mining effort, and began laying the
foundation for Pools, but he took the money and run, so to say. The reigns were handed over to a Committee. Slush went on
to other areas, and focused his time on Hardware Wallets. He just gets Royalties for "his" name at this point. That Committee
completely controls the pool, from behind the curtain of Slush's namesake.

Meanwhile, at Slushpool, the Committee focused on Growth. That's where things like Mass advertising, and a slick gui paid
off in spades. Imagine if you will, how much money that Committee earns, from that 2% fee. That's surely going to motivate
them, to keep the users coming to them. They completely understand, how advertising to the "instant gratification" miner
works. That's why Slush is now advertised as "The World's First Bitcoin Mining Pool to Support Asicboost". They worked
very closely with Halongmining, and their Marketing team, to ensure Slush would get the Lion's Share of DragonMint users.
Hell, Halongmining doesn't even advertise the for pool they test their equipment on, and that pool operator wrote their software.
They know users are Familiar with the name--Slush. They can appear to be Trustworthy to consumers, if Slush vouched for them.
It's a Corporate Win/Win that made Millions of dollars.

All the while, users see the pool plow through blocks, and they get their daily payouts. However, are they getting their fair share???
Do they even notice, or suspect any foul play??? Do any of them question how Trustful, the "World's First" is??? Probably not, and
that Corporate Committee understands that, as long as the user is receiving, what the online calculator tells them they SHOULD
earn, nobody will bat an eye. Most of their users have very little knowledge, of what their equipment ACTUALLY does. They just
buy it, hook it up, add Flush as their pool of choice and BOOM!!! They're the owner of a Magical Money Machine, just like the one
they read about online.

Ignorance is Bliss!!!

that's the case of many other pools too
minergain.com

Activity: 285
Merit: 10

Free mining equipment tracking and reporting

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2018, 08:56:31 PM

.... However, are they getting their fair share??? Do they even notice, or suspect any foul play??? Do any of them question how Trustful, the "World's First" is???

Ignorance is Bliss!!!
I have been programming for almost 30 years, mining about a year now and have to admit that trying to figure out the nitty gritty of bitcoin is still a lot of wizard of oz to me.  I have read pretty much every post on this forum for the year and written minergain to log all kinds of details and provide some info (mostly for my mining enjoyment but free to anyone), so I probably have a little more experience basis that many - but there is still a lot of trust involved for my mining.  Fortunately Kano frequently (and personally) shares his knowledge, experience and occasional missteps - and makes me wonder if he sleeps - which does make me very confident we are all being watched over - which Kano obviously believes in long term success versus the quick payoff.  I have no idea how I would even begin to figure out how to "calculate" any intended or unintended issues.  I suspect many of the pool owners are in a similar situation which again makes me happy to be with someone who knows the ins and outs of this...

www.minergain.com - Free miner equipment tracking and reporting
Mike is a tiny miner: 8 S9, 1 D3, 6 RX470
I mine at Kano Pool, for better BTC Profits!
MrRoach Sir

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2018, 09:11:02 PM

I've power enough in my shop to run a few miners. No direct Internet connection but there is a wifi hotspot my laptop/netbook can access. What I'm stuck on it how to add a switch or router to connect a couple miners.
Apprentice

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 09:16:23 PM

I've power enough in my shop to run a few miners. No direct Internet connection but there is a wifi hotspot my laptop/netbook can access. What I'm stuck on it how to add a switch or router to connect a couple miners.

Get a pi3 for like $55 (amazon.com) and bridge wifi to LAN.
Connect a switch to the LAN port and there you go

Google pi3 wifi to LAN and you will find a lot of tutorials.

Edit: note that pi3 can't connect to 5g wifi

kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 12:49:50 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2018, 01:26:16 AM by kano

One important point to check is the network times.
Wifi, Hot-spots, VPNs, Tor and other public connections, can sometimes have severe network issues affecting a miner.

A miner's most important requirement is to get each share it finds to the node as quickly as possible.
Each miner also finds about 18 SPM (shares per minute) i.e. average one every 3.333 seconds, so the network needs to be consistently reliable.

Now I wont say that 100ms is too slow, since really that's not the end of the earth, but if it is over 200ms then you are going to have high stales, and if you ever find a block, that will of course also delay getting that block to the pool, then out to the rest of the world, and risk getting a stale or orphan.

Regular stale blocks and orphans are a clear sign that miners have network problems, or are a long way from the pool connections
(or there's a problem with the mining software in the miners that found the orphans)
... and each stale block/orphan is currently about $80k total lost by all miners.

We have a lot of nodes around the world - 8 public ones that everyone can mine to in 6 locations - 6 private whitelisted ones that some large miners use - and 2, not for mining, in china that are there to help with block distribution into china.
The Fibre relay is the main reason bitcoin has fewer orphans - but any pool ONLY relying on it to solve block distribution clearly hasn't seen the times when parts of the Fibre relay have been down for hours or days.
The pool connects to all the Fibre relays, so I do know on the rare occasions when parts of it are down.

I guess the point of it all being, make sure your network is good enough to mine on this pool so we don't lose blocks.
Don't assume a crappy or slow network is ever OK.
Edit: and don't use Tor

MrRoach Sir

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2018, 02:30:08 AM

Unapologetic noob here. I surely appreciate the personal response. Now I'll take a day or so to decipher it to my level of understanding.
MrRoach Sir

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2018, 02:35:40 AM

so if I'm pointed at stratum+tcp://stratum.kano.is:3333 what do I ping too? (patience is appreciated here)
Pages: « 1 ... 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 [2112] 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 2138 2139 2140 2141 2142 2143 2144 2145 2146 2147 2148 2149 2150 2151 2152 2153 2154 2155 2156 2157 2158 2159 2160 2161 2162 ... 2248 »
  Print  

Jump to: