Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:03:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 [258] 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 ... 2248 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KanoPool since 2014 🐈 - PPLNS and Solo 0.5% fee - Worldwide - 2436 blocks  (Read 5350284 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (50 posts by 3+ users deleted.)
kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 09:43:28 AM

Well, I don't really see the pool's performance as a problem in reality.

And getting some more small miners wont help the hash rate much either.

The luck here at the pool has been poor for ... 25 blocks ...
The luck has been WORSE at other pools for a lot MORE blocks than that.

The the whole point of the CDF and CDF[Erl] numbers - are to be able to compare pool statistics properly.
I'm not trying to hide information, but I do get the feeling that people mine at some pools because those pools don't show that sort of information - probably due to the fact that it would show those pools in the bad light they actually deserve.

In pool mining, the number of shares and blocks is what counts determining luck, not time.
Out first block took ... 22 days ... and everyone got paid about 179% PPS for all their mining for 22 days i.e. they didn't lose out because the first block took 22 days, they simply had much higher variance due to no pay for 21 days and then the equivalent of 179% of those 22 days pay in 1 payout (I got 1.10126283 BTC for my mining on the pool for the first block)
Yep that's not happening at the moment, but it just means that you need to understand variance no matter where you mine.

People who decide that they must mine at the largest pools are either expecting too much of the variance of mining (i.e. don't understand BTC mining and didn't understand what they were getting into when they started mining) or have an unrealistic expectation (lack of statistical understanding) of PPLNS variance.

PPLNS here means the pool is VERY resistant to closing down even when it's only got one PH (at the current difficulty)
The only real tangable risk would be me not being able to afford to run it.
The hardware costs to run the pool are still below the fee - by a bit Smiley
Yeah I get slave wages for the time I spend on the pool, but that's ok since I'm the one who started it and runs it Smiley
That would change if the pool hash rate went up a lot, but how it is at the moment is OK by me also.

If you can't handle variance, then yep a smaller pool (pretty much any pool with less than 5-10% of the network) is gonna be a problem for you at some stage or other in the future.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 12:35:18 PM

Do not worry, kano.
I am very happy with the pool.
If people do not understand statistics, this is not your fault/problem.

keep up the good work  Smiley

btw: If variance is a problem...
There is a very small PPS pool: www.btcmp.com
It is working since years. But as always: a pool is no bank.
Use it on your own risk

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 01:06:35 PM

Spreading hashrate amongst pools also helps with variance if you have the hashrate to spread.  And as Kano said, there is some improbably bad luck happening on other pools at the moment.  When difficulty was rising around 20% at every difficulty adjustment then only getting one or two blocks in a difficulty period was a huge problem in terms of ever getting ROI on a miner, but that isn't happening anymore.  Difficulty adjustments are relatively small in comparison to the overall difficulty so sitting out some bad luck waiting for better luck is more realistic now than it used to be.
RealMalatesta
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 01:13:22 PM

Do not worry, kano.

Use it on your own risk

yxt: I, too, like this pool (and some other smaller pools).
And I DO appreciate the work kano does and I'm on your side saying that kano does a good work.

And well, your remark regarding statistics - if you think someone who likes to discuss something just doesn't understand statistics....

Even IF everybody who's into mining would understand statistics, still many of them would do some pool hopping - just because the do ignore statistics due to the need to make a quick buck to pay electricity. My concern is that smaller pools will lose miners over the long run (look how miners obviously jumped from Eligius to Slush's) - and that the Chinese farms and some few other big companies will. at tjhe end of the day, be the only ones who stay in the race.

I'm not saying that I have the solution for this - en contraire. But I was hoping that someone may have an idea...
PCComf

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 06:56:14 PM

Do not worry, kano.

Use it on your own risk

yxt: I, too, like this pool (and some other smaller pools).
And I DO appreciate the work kano does and I'm on your side saying that kano does a good work.

And well, your remark regarding statistics - if you think someone who likes to discuss something just doesn't understand statistics....

Even IF everybody who's into mining would understand statistics, still many of them would do some pool hopping - just because the do ignore statistics due to the need to make a quick buck to pay electricity. My concern is that smaller pools will lose miners over the long run (look how miners obviously jumped from Eligius to Slush's) - and that the Chinese farms and some few other big companies will. at tjhe end of the day, be the only ones who stay in the race.

I'm not saying that I have the solution for this - en contraire. But I was hoping that someone may have an idea...

I fail to see how going from 5N to 2N would attract any new miners. If one of the people proposing that could describe it, that would be a discussion, but I see no discussion just assertion.

On the other hand, 5N reduces luck variance for the long-term miners, which is important for a pool that desires to keep people mining long-term. That has been described many times throughout this thread and others. Anyone who can't wait 5N for a full reward is unlikely to be patient enough to stay for long anyway. It boggles the mind why this pool isn't more popular, but I'm glad Kano is happy with the size it is. BTCGuild was ~10N and was extremely popular, so not everyone is statistically challenged.

It's like the reward experiment with little kids: Place a jelly bean in front of a 4 year old and tell her that she can eat it now, but if she can wait 5 minutes before eating it she can have a second one. 3 of my 4 kids waited. The majority of miners can't help themselves and eat the jelly bean right away.
tlhIlwI

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 08:01:51 PM

FWIW, I like the 5N range just as it is.

On another subject, with the BTC price increase my spreadsheet says that I reached ROI at the last payout!  It could disappear as fast as it appeared if the price goes back down (or if the pool remains this unlucky), but it is nice to see anyway.

Subscribe to my Bitcoin Mining YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7eam9msr3I2qxzsCzRTuVQ
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 08:40:55 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2015, 09:08:11 PM by kano

CKDB restart coming up in a few minutes - backend DB performance change, so nothing added to the web site in this restart.
No miners will be affected as usual for a CKDB restart, just the web statistics are unavailable, mostly showing "?" for about 15 minutes.

Edit: completed

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
sorry2xs
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Dark Passenger Bitcoin miner 2013,Bitcoin node

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 01:12:08 AM

Next difficulty retarget occurs at block 381023.0 (eta 1.9 days): -1.13194444444 / -100.0% [est.]

Difficulty Factor   
Hash Rate   

Exchange Rate   
($/BTC) [user]
BTC / Block   25.00000000   
Calculate

This Difficulty
Coins   Dollars
per Day   0.16379779 BTC   $46.94
per Week   1.14658455 BTC   $328.61
per Month   4.98559531 BTC   $1428.87
this diff (est)   0.30649280 BTC   $87.84
Next Difficulty [estimated]
Coins   Dollars
per Day   -8810181692.01541901 BTC   $-2524998072931.62
per Week   -61671271844.10793304 BTC   $-17674986510521.34
per Month   -268159905250.71932983 BTC   $-76854628844856.16
This is comical Alloscomp.

Please tip the Node 1MPWKB23NsZsXHANnFwVAWT86mL24fqAjF; KO4UX
THAT NO GOOD DO GOODER BAT!!!
PPOC

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 05:58:17 AM

Spreading hashrate amongst pools also helps with variance if you have the hashrate to spread.  And as Kano said, there is some improbably bad luck happening on other pools at the moment.  When difficulty was rising around 20% at every difficulty adjustment then only getting one or two blocks in a difficulty period was a huge problem in terms of ever getting ROI on a miner, but that isn't happening anymore.  Difficulty adjustments are relatively small in comparison to the overall difficulty so sitting out some bad luck waiting for better luck is more realistic now than it used to be.

Good point, I was thinking about this as I am powering up some S7's I just spent a SHIT load on money on, Next 1-2 months I think the Diff will be going up about 5% per period as a lot of S7's and more power from Fury is coming online. That said, variance is a problem as you need to make ROI as FAST as possible before the next Diff change. I have been on this pool since early June and very happy with the Pool and support from Kano. But now that I have over 12K in miners to payoff, variance is an issue. Prior to these S7's, I bought mostly used S5 and used s4 so recovering the hardware cost was not as big a deal since I expected that to drop to near zero. But these expensive miners need to pay off FAST, or at least 50% of the cost and sell them while they still have value. Anyway, lets see now the next 2 weeks runs on luck.

BTC: 1Bo6YsPeHCrVRygHLJg9BwHeaLSQpppcJi
"Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone."
basv123

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 07:09:36 AM

And Bitminerpro is bankrupted?
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2015, 07:16:34 AM

And Bitminerpro is bankrupted?

network outage at their end

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
basv123

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 12:27:26 PM

That sucks
thebonenz

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 02:48:45 PM

Alright I'm officially up and running on the pool!

Newbie hobby miner who just picked up an S4!
ZACHM

Activity: 777
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 03:05:16 PM

Welcome aboard!

If you want you can track your hash rate here: http://ckpoolmonitor.zachmonroe.com/

It has the following features:
- Hash rate tracking
- Block found notification
- Low Hash rate notification
- Dropped worker notification
Dmc123dmc

Time is the one thing you can't run from

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2015, 04:09:56 PM

Has anybody had issues with Kano's s3 update? The day i moved my 2x s3's here i updated them with Kano's update. I bought anther s3 whilst mining here and it came with an earlier version of the update perhaps. I know it looked different to what i had with my other 2. I left it with that update. Saturday i noticed my hash rate was down a lot. I checked the miners and the most recent one wasn't hashing. There were no values in the status area. I rebooted it and stayed the same. unplugged it for a bit and powered on it was still the same. I did a factory reset through the web GUI and it started hashing again. So I put the latest update on the same as my other 2 and it hashed for a while so i thought problem was solved. I discovered yesterday it had died again sometime after the update. I have factory reset it again and is hashing happily again for the last 2 hours. Any good advice out there?

Noticed over the weekend that my 2 S3s (both /K software versions) started acting strange also but everything seems to be going well this morning. Just glanced at them now and both keep showing less than 10GH/s in the GH/S(5s) box, even though the pool stats show what I should be submitting.

It was, however, enough to plant the S7 seed in my head again...
One cause can be if the time jumps forward - the web/API elapsed will show that.
My update also checks if the time jumps forward more than 70 days and will kill and restart cgminer - that will also come into effect if it has been mining for 70 days.

If the time jumped forward a lot but less than 70 days it would show a low hash rate.
The pool of course will know the corrected hash rate based on the proper time.

The "Share Rate" on the Workers page can also help see that it's working ok - it shows the hash rate for the given short interval "«Elapsed"
It resets every network block, thus shows the shares submitted since then converted directly to a hash rate.
Note also, the "Share Rate" for my antminer cgminer versions will have high variance since I set the internal work difficulty as high as possible to match the pool work difficulty (but of course less than or equal to the pool difficulty)

Its just happened with the standard firmware so its not your update. I'm guessing at an intermittent fault in the controller maybe. I will swap controllers with another and see if the fault moves.

██████████  ✔  PoSToken - First PoS Smart Contract Token - Get Your Free Tokens Now!
█     PoSToken    █  ✔  Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO  ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
██████████  ✔  ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 07:59:37 PM

That sucks
They're back up again about an hour ago.

thebonenz

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:26:13 AM

Welcome aboard!

If you want you can track your hash rate here: http://ckpoolmonitor.zachmonroe.com/

It has the following features:
- Hash rate tracking
- Block found notification
- Low Hash rate notification
- Dropped worker notification

Sweet I'll throw it on my phone thanks!

Newbie hobby miner who just picked up an S4!
CapnBDL

Activity: 1064
Merit: 500

MOBU

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 05:08:12 PM

DANG IT !!   Angry   What has happened to our luck?    Huh   Hey...you new miners, have you been sacrificing your chickens?    Shocked   Let's go...we need to hit some blocks!

LOL...just the ravings of an ol' fart. Enjoy Halloween everyone.    Grin

CapnBDL
      Cool

▄██▄
████▄    ▄██████▄    ▄████
██████▄ ▀████████▀ ▄██████
▐███████▄ ▀████▀ ▄███████▌
▐█████████▄ ▀▀ ▄█████████▌
 ████ ▀█████▄▄█████▀ ████
 ████ ▄ ▀████████▀ ▄ ████
 ▐███ ██▄ ▀████▀ ▄██ ███▌
 ▐███ ████▄ ▀▀ ▄████ ███▌
  ███ ██████▄▄██████ ███
  ███ ██████████████ ███
  ▐██ ██████████████ ██▌
  ▐██ ██████████████ ██▌
   ██ ██████████████ ██
       ▀██████████▀
         ▀██████▀
           ▀██▀
.M O B U.███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
   The Investment Bank of the Future  
The Security Token Protocol and Licensed Security Token Exchange
█▀

█▄
Facebook Medium
Whitepaper ANN
LinkedIn    Reddit
▀█

▄█

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
      ▄███████████████▄
    ▄███████████████████▄
   ███████████████████████
  ████ ▀███████▀    ▀██████
 █████▌  ▀▀███        ▄█████
▐██████▄             ▐██████▌
▐█████▄               ██████▌
▐███████▄            ███████▌
 ███████▄          ▄████████
  ████████       ▄█████████
   █████▀   ▄▄▄███████████
    ▀███████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████▀
         ▀▀▀█████▀▀▀

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
      ▄███████████████▄
    ▄███████████████████▄
   ███████████████████████
  █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
 █████     ▄▄          █████
▐█████     ████▄▄      █████▌
▐█████     ████████    █████▌
▐█████     ████▀▀      █████▌
 █████     ▀▀          █████
  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
   ███████████████████████
    ▀███████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████▀
         ▀▀▀█████▀▀▀

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
      ▄███████████████▄
    ▄███████████████████▄
   ███████████████████████
  ████████████████▀▀▀ ▐████
 ███████████▀▀▀  ▄█▀  ██████
▐█████▀▀▀      ▄█▀    ██████▌
▐███▄▄▄    ▄▄██▀     ███████▌
▐████████ ███▀       ███████▌
 ████████▌█          ███████
  ████████ ▄▄██▄    ███████
   ███████████████▄ ██████
    ▀███████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████▀
         ▀▀▀█████▀▀▀
gecox22

Activity: 778
Merit: 515

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:11:51 AM

DANG IT !!   Angry   What has happened to our luck?    Huh   Hey...you new miners, have you been sacrificing your chickens?    Shocked   Let's go...we need to hit some blocks!

LOL...just the ravings of an ol' fart. Enjoy Halloween everyone.    Grin

CapnBDL
      Cool

I hear that. I think I made more off my signature campaign  than I did off mining. Makes me want to cry, but at least my signature campaign brought some btc in this week. I had Chicken Alfredo tonight so lets hope that will do something for our luck!

sorry2xs
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Dark Passenger Bitcoin miner 2013,Bitcoin node

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:17:11 AM

IMO this diff has been a nightmare for the BTC world

Please tip the Node 1MPWKB23NsZsXHANnFwVAWT86mL24fqAjF; KO4UX
THAT NO GOOD DO GOODER BAT!!!
Pages: « 1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 [258] 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 ... 2248 »
  Print  

Jump to: