Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:29:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] ASICMiner Prisma 1.4th/s - 1.47 BTC  (Read 49677 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
mrpark

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 02:42:34 AM

I started my miner, holding my ears. The noise never came, these things are QUIET compared to my other miners and way, way quieter than an SP10 by a very long shot. the sound is like a hair dryer on Med, nothing as far as I am concerned.

EVGA 1300 cord is cool, but the double PCI-e double cable is warm. I am at freq 230, and getting 1.2T right now. Perhaps because it is hot in the room it's in right now. Or is it because I'm not running 240? Hmm.

one question, is there any way to see what temps the boards are at? I am guessing no.

BTC: 1JDjCGtxtxoZ46XgTqUoXBDxNFKwcsEmik

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mrpark

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 02:45:11 AM

I run three S3s on a single Lepa 1200, no problems. But probably better with EVGA for mining.

it looks like I won't be using the Lepa 1600, the ebay ad is a scam. While the photo shows the right photo, the guy is selling them with the cables from the 1200w Lepa. I'm no dummy so he is going to have to pay to ship it back, ebay has a new policy the at the seller has to eat the cost.

I will use stock evga 1300. I am taking my time with the miner, I found some Styrofoam packing in the tube and on one of the chips, so good to check it over really well before starting it up.

I will say that I have a 1300w Lepa and it is one of the worst power supplies I've ever owned. It trips with almost any miner I've tried to use it with.

GrapeApe

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 02:52:19 AM

I started my miner, holding my ears. The noise never came, these things are QUIET compared to my other miners and way, way quieter than an SP10 by a very long shot. the sound is like a hair dryer on Med, nothing as far as I am concerned.

EVGA 1300 cord is cool, but the double PCI-e double cable is warm. I am at freq 230, and getting 1.2T right now. Perhaps because it is hot in the room it's in right now. Or is it because I'm not running 240? Hmm.

one question, is there any way to see what temps the boards are at? I am guessing no.

I am running my Prismas with the same psu. My cables are not warm at all. Did you follow Phillipma1957s suggestions? Did you plug both connectors from one cable to the same board? If so see below.

my evga  has 6 cables  4 with 1 plug 2 with 2 plugs.

look closely   this is the 2 two plug cables   make believe that fan is the plug end fan on the long tube.

this will be two cables with 4 plugs  one plug in eacb side.   THIS IS NOT ENOUGH

you then have the 4 single cables plug one to each side.  so six cables pull 1200 watts.  each side of the unit has 1  cable with the long plug and 1/2 of the two plug cables  I don't have enough hands to hold it in place. but those 6 cables can carry 1200 watts even 1215.  if you think you understand the way to wire it please do and shoot a photo to us. I can confirm.

mrpark

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 02:59:09 AM

in the top board and bottom board I used single cables. the left and right use the cable with the Pci-e in the middle. both on the same cable plugged into each side board. hmmm.

CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:05:28 AM

in the top board and bottom board I used single cables. the left and right use the cable with the Pci-e in the middle. both on the same cable plugged into each side board. hmmm.

That's the problem, you need to split those double cables over multiple boards. Each of the 4 prisma boards should be attached to 1 single connecter cable and half of a double connector cable. This will enable the PSU to normalize current over all 6 cables.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
mrpark

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:08:30 AM

Oh, that makes more sense. Thanks for the help guys! Is it safe to run the Evga at 240?

That's the problem, you need to split those double cables over multiple boards. Each of the 4 prisma boards should be attached to 1 single connecter cable and half of a double connector cable. This will enable the PSU to normalize current over all 6 cables.

GrapeApe

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:11:18 AM

Oh, that makes more sense. Thanks for the help guys! Is it safe to run the Evga at 240?

Yep I'm running 2 with that same cable configuration and same psus clocked at 240 each for a whopping 2.89 TH/s total!!!
mrpark

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:26:58 AM

OK great! I will change cables and set to 240. What I think I should do is put one of the PCI-e cables from the double on each of the 4 boards. Thanks again!

wasikidding

Activity: 268

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 04:36:07 PM

Thanks Crazy pm sent with shipping details and btc thanks again cant wait to add some heat to the garage Grin

BTC ADDY just in case you are my rich uncle lol 1KCQ4fXa3mWBvBsYRLmWY4QHqBa4ZYFdh6
PlanetCrypto

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 05:54:21 PM

Why Waltz when you can Rock 'N' Roll.
Saw a bunch of folks complaining about PSU costs and thought I'd stick my $.02 worth in.
From a post I made recently in the  Re: [PRICE REDUCED] DPS-2000BB 2000W Server PSU Interface Board Thread here in Bitcointalk:

"FYI, as far as as I can tell from looking at the pin outs, the DPS-1600BB (147.5A @ 12.2V 1800W), DPS-2000BB (164A @ 12.2V 2000W), and the DPS-2500BB (205A @ 12.2V 2500W) are pin compatible and the DPS2K adapter board and should be a "Plug 'N' Play" on these supply's.

Just ordered qty 16 DPS-1600BB's and when they come in will test and report back.
We scarfed these in the salvage market for $8.74 each + $10 shipping.
Total cost each was $18.74. Helluva' supply for $20.

These supply's have NO internal fans and in a stock configuration (i.e. installed in an IBM BladeCenter) are cooled by case air.
Adding 40mm fans to the side of the power supply case for cooling is MANDATORY.

We anticipate using these in our mining farm to power OC'ed AM Prisma's.
One supply per Prisma.

Of other interest is, the efficiency of these supplies under light loading (250W draw) is 87%, at or near rated output the efficiency rises to 92%.
So from a Bitcoin mining perspective it's better to run them WOT (Wide Open Throttle) than to be conservative.

Individuals in the RC community have reported about the DPS-2000BB's that when tweaking the output voltage to 14.6 and tweaking the Over Power Cutoff the DPS-2000's can supply 2800W (~200A @ 14.6V), Booyah!"

We own and use a variety of PC power supplies in our environment. We favor the EVGA 1300's (3x OC'd S3+'s per unit) efficiency is ~92% and they are silent.
Problem is they are pricey as hell.
So a while back we started rotating to Server based power supplies.
Most notably the HP 1200's, IBM DPS-1600's, and the IBM DPS-2000's.
And as a footnote the IBM DPS series of supplies will do current sharing/load balancing across multiple supplies.
So if 1800W/2000W isn't enough, wire them up in parallel and connect the current sharing pins.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
candcfarms

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:30:09 PM

would it be safe to do that mod on the dps2000 and run two prismas?
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 10:07:58 PM

You shouldn't have a problem.
The DPS1200s power 1 Prisma each without a problem. as well as 2x Dell 750
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 10:37:17 PM

We had a Prisma here to test for a day, and ran it just fine on 2x Dell 750
We have had 5x Tubes running on 2X DPS-2000BB in hosting for two months with no issues. A prisma pulls only slightly more power (20% max) than a Tube, so 2 per DPS-2000BB is well within the PSU's capabilities.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
PlanetCrypto

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 03:01:04 PM

bobsaq3 and sidehack are spot on at stock/factory clock rates.
We prefer to allow a little more head room for OC'ing the Prisma's and hence have migrated to one DPS-1600BB per Prisma.
OC'ing a Prisma only makes financial sense if the cost per Kwh is low ($0.08/KWh or less).

Then there are the heat dissipation issues that come with filling a room/Data Center with OC'ed Prisma's.
Pursuant to that we are prototyping Open Bath Immersion (OBI) cooling using the 3M Novec Engineered Fluids in custom built polycarbonate immersion tanks.
With the ultimate goal of immersing 32 OC'ed Prisma hash boards, controlled by an RPi w/wireless, in an OBI tank powered by 5 DPS-2000's.
Power consumption should be ~10Kw per tank and dissipate ~32K BTU continuously, enough to heat the average American sized home in a Minnesota winter AND GET PAID TO DO IT.
The residual/excess heat could be used to heat a garage, heat a driveway, heat sidewalks, melt snow off of the roof, heat a pool/hot tub/fish pond, etc. . . . . . .

Our Youtube channel (PlanetCrypto) has some videos of our initial testing.

Initial testing of 24x Tube Erupter boards in a Walmart fishtank:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meOf0FJBkGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_yfHJ8yoh8

A polycarbonate immersion tank with 2x Bitmain S3+ hash boards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcb9TyQP5ZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fStHV_Q-x7s

We no longer power the fan in the S3+ tank as it is not required for condensation.
The heat generated from the S3+ tank supplements the in-floor heat in our little DC.
We have laid PEX in the ground outside the DC as a place to dump excess heat in upcoming expanded systems.

When we get a 32 Prisma board system up and running we'll post some vid's on the channel.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
helipotte

Activity: 650
Merit: 500

Pick and place? I need more coffee.

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 03:10:34 PM

Why is the GB paused?
Xtra7973

Activity: 47

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 04:10:51 PM

Per CrazyGuy "All remaining batches should be arriving next week. ASICMiner has asked me to hold off on placing a batch 6 order this weekend while they replenish stock. Any batch 6 orders to this point will be moved to batch 5, which should arrive next week. If you haven't sent me your label, please do so now.

I will have spare units for sale on ASICPuppy.net next week."
Xtra7973

Activity: 47

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 04:30:50 PM

We prefer to allow a little more head room for OC'ing the Prisma's and hence have migrated to one DPS-1600BB per Prisma.
OC'ing a Prisma only makes financial sense if the cost per Kwh is low ($0.08/KWh or less).

Then there are the heat dissipation issues that come with filling a room/Data Center with OC'ed Prisma's.
Pursuant to that we are prototyping Open Bath Immersion (OBI) cooling using the 3M Novec Engineered Fluids in custom built polycarbonate immersion tanks.
With the ultimate goal of immersing 32 OC'ed Prisma hash boards, controlled by an RPi w/wireless, in an OBI tank powered by 5 DPS-2000's.
Power consumption should be ~10Kw per tank and dissipate ~32K BTU continuously, enough to heat the average American sized home in a Minnesota winter AND GET PAID TO DO IT.
The residual/excess heat could be used to heat a garage, heat a driveway, heat sidewalks, melt snow off of the roof, heat a pool/hot tub/fish pond, etc. . . . . . .

We no longer power the fan in the S3+ tank as it is not required for condensation.
The heat generated from the S3+ tank supplements the in-floor heat in our little DC.
We have laid PEX in the ground outside the DC as a place to dump excess heat in upcoming expanded systems.

When we get a 32 Prisma board system up and running we'll post some vid's on the channel.

Great videos, thanks for sharing. Thats a great setup you got going there. Awsome way to heat your house in Minnesota. Just out of curiosity what was your source of heat before? Im sure its cold there now and just wondering how the heat from your mining setup is going and if you had to turn the old way to heat the house on yet? Also I would like to know your energy savings compared to last year, or whenever before you started that setup. Really looking forward to the Prisma videos, thanks for sharing.
ThatsMe

Activity: 44

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 05:43:30 PM

Awesome videos. If you flipped the 24x boards over it might look cooler since they were designed to push heat through the pcb. You would get lots of tiny bubbles instead of the big eruptions through the mounting holes. It might not be more efficient, but I think it would be cooler to look at.  I want to build an immersion tank as well, but lack of funds is preventing me from doing so. I do have several design ideas though. I know it was a test tank, but if you added a second radiator to the fish tank in a V formation you would get better condensation. You don't want to use fans in the tank because the name of the game is less energy used to cool the miners. Wow, sorry for sounding like a prick. I've spent a lot of time researching and designing a few different versions. It's nice to see someone putting a system together. Yes, I am jealous.
Heating a house with miners can definitely happen. It got to a frigid 40 degrees here last night in north Florida. I have 6 S1's and 2 S3's, with a box fan and relocating 2 miners the coldest part of the house was 68. The room where most of the miners were was 82. My central heat isn't working right now, so that was the miners keeping it warm in the house. 
PlanetCrypto

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 08:01:23 PM

Great videos, thanks for sharing. Thats a great setup you got going there. Awsome way to heat your house in Minnesota. Just out of curiosity what was your source of heat before? Im sure its cold there now and just wondering how the heat from your mining setup is going and if you had to turn the old way to heat the house on yet? Also I would like to know your energy savings compared to last year, or whenever before you started that setup. Really looking forward to the Prisma videos, thanks for sharing.

Have heated with everything under the sun (fuel oil, propane, electric base board, wood, wood pellets, Bitmain S1's (currently), immersion cooled Prisma's (future).

January heating bills:
Electric baseboard 3 years ago = $550/month (electrical cost per KWh has risen since then).
Wood pellets = $110-$120/month
S1's = positive cash flow (i.e they generate more revenue than they use in electricity, breakeven on the S1's is USD/BTC ~$300 @ current difficulty @ $0.08/KWh).

As a heating device I'm allowed to run these off of electricity billed at the "Dual Fuel" rate (>$0.08/KWh) versus the "Regular Service" rate ($0.1168/KWh).

Have friends serviced by a different electric company that run their S1's at the "Off Peak" rate ($0.04/KWh). During the day they open windows to exhaust the excess heat and keep the house at a comfy 80F. At night they close most of the windows to maintain the desired temp.

7 S1's are currently providing a 50F+ delta T from outside temp (~30F) with one 20" box fan exhausting heat from a second floor window. And the pellet stove/furnace hasn't kicked on yet.
As the temps continue to drop (it gets to -30F+ here in the winter), I'll turn off the fan and close the window, then move an appropriate number of S1's into the house from the DC to compensate (i.e create a larger Delta T from outside temp). Going forward, the Prisma's are the heater of choice as their $/GH/s is far better than the S1's/S3's.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
PlanetCrypto

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 08:57:44 PM

Awesome videos. If you flipped the 24x boards over it might look cooler since they were designed to push heat through the pcb. You would get lots of tiny bubbles instead of the big eruptions through the mounting holes. It might not be more efficient, but I think it would be cooler to look at.  I want to build an immersion tank as well, but lack of funds is preventing me from doing so. I do have several design ideas though. I know it was a test tank, but if you added a second radiator to the fish tank in a V formation you would get better condensation. You don't want to use fans in the tank because the name of the game is less energy used to cool the miners. Wow, sorry for sounding like a prick. I've spent a lot of time researching and designing a few different versions. It's nice to see someone putting a system together. Yes, I am jealous.
Heating a house with miners can definitely happen. It got to a frigid 40 degrees here last night in north Florida. I have 6 S1's and 2 S3's, with a box fan and relocating 2 miners the coldest part of the house was 68. The room where most of the miners were was 82. My central heat isn't working right now, so that was the miners keeping it warm in the house. 

The tube Erupter tank is disassembled, we were going to jump on those boards but the Prisma's came out (shout out to Crazy Guy for giving us the heads up).
Had lots of ideas too when we got into immersion cooling.
Thank the Bitcoin Gods we spent a day with Phil Tuma @ 3M.
Phil very kindly told us/me why a lot of our/my ideas wouldn't work (mostly cuz' he had already tried them @ 3M's expense).
Saved us a BUNCH of time and money not exploring crappy ideas.

Not saying any of your ideas are crappy, just my hair brained ideas.
V'ed coolers take up too much room in the tank versus mono extruded fin high thermal conductivity copper tube with Turbolators (https://www.finnedtube.com/extruded-fin-tubes & https://www.finnedtube.com/turbulators).
Fans don't survive cuz' the Novec fluid dries out the bearings and they stop spinning anyway.
Fans also dilute the vapor layer and consequently require larger condensation surface area/lower cooling fluid temperatures to condense the less dense vapor.
PVC coated wire leeches DOP (dioctyl phthalate) into the fluid which deposits itself on hot components (chips and copper back planes) and reduces thermal conductivity on the parts that really need it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bis(2-ethylhexyl)_phthalate)
PTFE coated wire doesn't exhibit this problem but it's expensive as hell.
Unless the tank is purged of air, eventually, the water in the air will condense out, corrode metal components/circuit traces/solder joints and cause "ghosts in the machine" (bags of silica gel also solve this issue).

The 24x Tubes have a higher board chip density than the S3's.
Bitmain wouldn't sell us chips for our own high density board design (guess they were jealous).
Evidently somebody (friedcat) was listening cuz' the Prisma's have a much higher density than anything else out there on the market (big shout out to friedcat, thanks o brilliant one).
And in the immersion cooling world, board chip density is where it's at.

Suffice to say there are lots of hidden non-intuitive gotcha's in OBI cooling. But once over the learning curve it works like a dream and makes managing heat dissipation a breeze (pun intended).
Besides it looks cool as hell in a clear polycarbonate tank. LOL. We've had visitors pull up a chair and sit for hours watching the bubbles, kinda' like washing machine TV.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: