Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:04:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Emergency ANN] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation  (Read 224549 times)
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 09:55:32 AM

• It's not asking for the account password.  Anyone who knows the usernames (and we can assume the attacker has a copy of the database) can submit a fake claim, and at the very least delay the real claim.
They don't know your password. They can't verify your password except by using the same hashing and salt again, which would be stupid since hackers could then replicate it.
So for all intents and purposes bitcoinica doesn't have your password any more.

• If the attacker had access to the database, how does any of the information asked for demonstrate my real identity?

This is why you have to verify your email. It's critical now. And that's why they need your phone and real name now without exception. And transfers would have to match it. Tough luck, they cannot reasonably go about it any other way.

• It asks for real name and phone number.  I never gave bitcoinica that information in the first place (that bit of paranoia has paid off).  No advice is on the page for people in that position.

Well, they need it now. See above.

• EXACT balances are requested, but if you supply exact balances it rejects the request saying "give only two decimal places".  It's not EXACT any more then is it?
  • Rejecting EXACT balances of more than two decimal places is pretty bad; but no advice is given as to whether the two decimal places you supply should be rounded up or down from your exact balance.  If I have 10.009 BTC is that "EXACT"ly 10.01 or 10.00?

Won't this be checked manually? just give your best guess man, and if you think it's accurate to the cent, choose "exact".

• Given that there was a complete database compromise -- exactly what is it that you're achieving with all this nonsense?  Assuming you kept the passwords hashed, then the only bit of information that can be used to verify the owner that is possibly not compromised is the real owner's knowledge of the unhashed password.

If they really had them hashed, they don't have them unhashed anywhere. They better not, anyway.

In your case, you didn't give them your info (good idea) but you did keep a quantity of money there (bad idea). How can they tell you apart from a hacker who has the same password info as they have? they can't. All they can do is a best effort and proof of email ownership should be enough in many cases, together with the fact that a hacker won't try and give their real info to get money out of there using the claim procedure. The rest of the "nonsense" is not to tell you apart from one of the hackers, it's to tell you apart from some other person who might want your money, other than the hackers, using stolen identities.

• You send out a verification email, which has no information on it other than a URL to click.  You have to click the link to see what the verification details were; but the verification page has no "approve" or "cancel" button.  So if an attacker does submit a fake form, then they simply hope that the actual owner clicks the link.  Given the dearth of information about the process from bitcoinica, and the lack of advice in the verification email (i.e. "don't click this link if you haven't started a claim") the user will assume that this email is the start of a claims process and will click the link; giving legitimacy to the fake claim.

This sounds like a reasonable concern.

• My email was verified when I registered the account -- what possible purpose is there in verifying it again?

See above. Email ownership is now critical. If you have a significant amount in your account, it's probably a good moment to change your email password from a properly secured computer, before filing up the claim.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
M4v3R

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 10:47:25 AM

• It's not asking for the account password.  Anyone who knows the usernames (and we can assume the attacker has a copy of the database) can submit a fake claim, and at the very least delay the real claim.
They don't know your password. They can't verify your password except by using the same hashing and salt again, which would be stupid since hackers could then replicate it.

You are wrong. If they asked for the password and then hashed it and compared to the one in the database, the hacker would have NO WAY in replicating this. That's what hashing is for. The whole security of the claim page, as realnowhereman pointed out, relies on the email address, which is very bad.
Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2012, 10:56:57 AM

What's up with the CONFIDENTIAL claim IDs being send in plain-text via email?

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 11:11:06 AM

What?  They don't need my password literally.  They have my password hash, which even someone with a copy of the database can't turn into the actual password.  Therefore to verify I am who I say I am, I supply my password (just like when I logged in normally), it is then hashed and compared with what is in the database.  This is the only piece of information that the hacker with a copy of the database cannot supply.  Therefore every other request on the claim form is validating only that I am either (a) the genuine owner or (b) someone who had access to the database.  Since that (b) group is no longer limited to "Bitcoinica Staff", it should be considered untrustworthy.

• If the attacker had access to the database, how does any of the information asked for demonstrate my real identity?

This is why you have to verify your email. It's critical now. And that's why they need your phone and real name now without exception. And transfers would have to match it. Tough luck, they cannot reasonably go about it any other way.

Since I didn't give them my phone and real name, what are they going to compare it against?  If I had given them, the hacker would have them too.

• It asks for real name and phone number.  I never gave bitcoinica that information in the first place (that bit of paranoia has paid off).  No advice is on the page for people in that position.

Well, they need it now. See above.

The hacker can supply anything he wants; since I didn't give them, there is no way to verify that anything supplied on the claim form really is from me.  In fact, all this does is open up a hole for a hacker to put somebody else's name on my account.

I do accept that if my name and phone number were already in their database, then my providing ID would (probably) prove me the owner.  Given that it isn't though, provision of an ID would not prove anything.

• EXACT balances are requested, but if you supply exact balances it rejects the request saying "give only two decimal places".  It's not EXACT any more then is it?
  • Rejecting EXACT balances of more than two decimal places is pretty bad; but no advice is given as to whether the two decimal places you supply should be rounded up or down from your exact balance.  If I have 10.009 BTC is that "EXACT"ly 10.01 or 10.00?

Won't this be checked manually? just give your best guess man, and if you think it's accurate to the cent, choose "exact".

Obviously that's what I did.  I'm not a moron.  My complaint is that it's hardly "exact" is it?  It also makes it harder for an automated system to compare the claim against the database.  Meaning more manual work than is necessary.  Without guidance, I don't know if the automated system is going to look for EXACTly the rounded version, or EXACTLY the truncated version.  When that fails, that adds more manual work for them, and more delay to my access.  Why couldn't they just say that, or better yet, make the computer do the computer work of rounding/truncating and simply accept whatever I enter in the field?

• Given that there was a complete database compromise -- exactly what is it that you're achieving with all this nonsense?  Assuming you kept the passwords hashed, then the only bit of information that can be used to verify the owner that is possibly not compromised is the real owner's knowledge of the unhashed password.

If they really had them hashed, they don't have them unhashed anywhere. They better not, anyway.

As above, it's perfectly possible to verify that I know the password given they know just the hash.  How do you think the login system has been working?  The reason I added "possibly" is because there was nothing to stop the attacker altering the site code to store the unhashed password as well for everyone that subsequently logged in.  We can only hope that the breach didn't last long enough for that to happen.

In your case, you didn't give them your info (good idea) but you did keep a quantity of money there (bad idea). How can they tell you apart from a hacker who has the same password info as they have? they can't. All they can do is a best effort and proof of email

You've raised this point again.  I'm not sure you understand how a hashed password system works.  The attacker only has the password hash, not the password.  There is no way to go from that compromised hash to the password.  Therefore the attacker cannot supply any phrase that, when hashed, produces the database hash.  I can, because I know my password.  That is how they can tell me apart from the hacker.  That is the only way they can tell me apart from the hacker -- so why ask for any of the other information?

As I said: the account email was already verified when I registered.  Other than checking that I still own it (and they were happy I did a week ago), what purpose does verification serve?  Either the email in the database is untouched, in which case it's still as valid as it was last week; or the hacker altered it, in which case the verification doesn't prove anything.

One would hope that the first thing they did was compare the database at time of compromise with a recent backup.  That will tell them whether the emails have been tampered with.  If they haven't then the emails are valid and don't need verifying.

ownership should be enough in many cases, together with the fact that a hacker won't try and give their real info to get money out of there using the claim procedure. The rest of the "nonsense" is not to tell you apart from one of the hackers, it's to tell you apart from some other person who might want your money, other than the hackers, using stolen identities.

Again: every other person who might want my money doesn't know my password.  Just as when the site or any site is live: that is the only thing that stands between them and my money.  Given that all the other information is most likely compromised, it proves my identity not one bit.  Hence, it's "security theatre".

• My email was verified when I registered the account -- what possible purpose is there in verifying it again?

See above. Email ownership is now critical. If you have a significant amount in your account, it's probably a good moment to change your email password from a properly secured computer, before filing up the claim.

Email ownership was already proved.  Proving it again has just given another chance at catching an unencrypted email to attackers.

Why would changing the email password help?  If it's secure already, it's fine. Why would doing it before the claim help, is the claim process going to publicly release my email?   Mindlessly changing passwords, is just more security theatre.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
realnowhereman

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 11:15:41 AM

What's up with the CONFIDENTIAL claim IDs being send in plain-text via email?

Emails are passed through multiple systems.  If any one of those systems has a dodgy admin, or has been compromised (and this whole debacle shows us that that is certainly not outside the realms of possibility) they can get a copy of your claim ID.

People are far too trusting of email.  What if there is a dodgy employee at google?  Or at hotmail?  If your emails are not encrypted, you must assume they can be read.

If the claim ID isn't confidential and doesn't gain an attacker anything, fine; but then why say it is?

I'm being particularly paranoid to make a point: far too little care and thought has been put into security at Bitcoinica.  This claims process is highlighting, for me, that still not enough is being put in.  To make up for that carelessness, I'm supposed to willingly hand over a copy of my government ID?  Perhaps if I had a little more demonstration that my trust in doing that would not be unwise (and so far it doesn't seem so).

realnowhereman

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 11:30:13 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2012, 12:37:03 PM by realnowhereman

As I've moaned so much, here is what they should have done given the situation:

• Send an email to the registered account emails.
  • The email contains a URL that is unique to that email and Bitcoinica account.  This URL is not secret information.
  • The URL takes you to a page where you must enter your Bitcoinica password.  It doesn't require your username, because the URL used to access it was unique to your email which is unique to your account
  • Only the true owner of the account knows their password; and only the recipient of the email knows what account the URL is accessing.  (This makes interception of the URL useless)
  • Claim finished.  The owner of the email is the owner of the account.

This process works even if the database were public knowledge under the assumption that strong passwords were used (and if you weren't using a strong password, well you're in trouble -- Bitcoinica should offer an option to notify them and provide a more thorough (ID based) verification of your identity).

It fails if the database has been altered by the attacker.  Therefore Bitcoinica should have spent the last week verifying the database against old backups.

Edit for additional.

For the future (and it wouldn't be a bad idea if all identity-requiring businesses did this), you should supply a field where we can upload a GPG public key that matches the email address.  Then you should send all emails encrypted to that key, but more importantly ... the owner of the address has a way of proving their identity in a way that is significantly harder to forge than a JPG of a passport.

Those of us familiar with GPG would right now have our identities verified.  Those not familiar with GPG would have a distinct incentive to become familiar.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 11:43:27 AM

Not being personally involved in this debacle and just sitting on the sidelines watching the train wreck unfold I have to say it's just magnificent to watch a market being regulated strictly by market consumers(i.e. a free market) doing it's work. There's not a chance in the world any crony government agency would ever be this vicious in justifiably criticizing a business and it's practices.  Cool

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 11:43:51 AM

You are wrong. If they asked for the password and then hashed it and compared to the one in the database, the hacker would have NO WAY in replicating this. That's what hashing is for. The whole security of the claim page, as realnowhereman pointed out, relies on the email address, which is very bad.

+1 . You would think they would have learned this already, given the fact that this is exactly how they got their server broken in into the first place (by somebody breaking into their email server ....).

How about using the hashed password to verify account ownership, PERIOD?

That way they wouldn't have an excuse to ask for scans of ID's to the persons who didn't send one previously.

This whole matter stinks...

I gave 1 BTC to a friend and he went along and played with it a little at Bitcoinica. Now he'll have to fill that ridiculous claim from and send them scans to get his BTC back?
Great introduction to Bitcoin he had, no doubt.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 11:50:05 AM

How?  I don't think you have thought this through.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 11:50:42 AM

Not being personally involved in this debacle and just sitting on the sidelines watching the train wreck unfold I have to say it's just magnificent to watch a market being regulated strictly by market consumers(i.e. a free market) doing it's work. There's not a chance in the world any crony government agency would ever be this vicious in justifiably criticizing a business and it's practices.  Cool

Yup, and every BTC business will either learn and improve, or they will die... isn't it great!  Grin
realnowhereman

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 11:56:46 AM

Even though I am involved (in a minor way), I am in complete agreement with you.

I cannot think of a single way in which this incident would be better for me personally if the government were involved.  Does anyone think that they would get their money faster if the regulators had descended?

disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 11:59:11 AM

The claim form looks simple enough to me. It doesn't require you to send anything in. It gives you the option to if you want. If you are missing 1 BTC only, shut up.
realnowhereman

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 12:02:36 PM

The claim form looks simple enough to me. It doesn't require you to send anything in. It gives you the option to if you want. If you are missing 1 BTC only, shut up.

It's the same claim form for everyone, so how does individual balance matter?  What exactly is the threshold of loss before you will allow us to speak?

The problem is not what it requires us to send; it is that all the information it asks for would be available to someone who compromised the database.  Therefore none of it is relevant.

The only thing actually being verified is ownership of email.

jixapori

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 12:11:57 PM

How?  I don't think you have thought this through.

hacker could have modified the hashed password?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 12:16:34 PM

If that was to me: Go fuck yourself.

I'm not missing 1 BTC. I don't gamble my money. I gave, as in passed the ownership of, 1 BTC to someone else to introduce him to Bitcoin. He decided to try Bitcoinica on his own will. Now if he wants his BTC back he has to follow a flawed claim process...
One more person who will probably just write off Bitcoin as valid because of a Bitcoinica fuck up.

I will even give him one more BTC if he wishes me to do so. Bitcoinica can keep the 1 BTC. They sure need it more than me or him anyway.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 12:21:32 PM

I have to chime in when you are talking about these minute amounts.

Funnily enough the only money I had in bitcoinica was the $1 bonus Cheesy

I sure as hell won't fill in some form that could go to the hackers again and compromise my info for 0.2 BTC.

I am just watching from the sidelines here in this thread because it impacts BTC and the price ( seems to have gone way up since the shorting at bitcoinica ).
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 12:39:55 PM

hacker could have modified the hashed password?

Possibly however one would "hope" the site has daily backups and uses a database which has transaction logs and rollbacks.

Obviously the admin team needs to verify the database is intact and valid otherwise any validation based on the database will fail.

Still lets think about this for a second.  Lets assume the attacker did have complete access to the database.

password (hashed) means attacker doesn't know the password.  So the only way the attacker can spoof verification is if he CHANGED that password.

Name, address, other contact info is stored in the database UNHASHED.  Attacker doesn't need to modify it.  He "could" spoof verification with mere access to that data.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 12:56:04 PM

What?  They don't need my password literally.  They have my password hash, which even someone with a copy of the database can't turn into the actual password.  Therefore to verify I am who I say I am, I supply my password (just like when I logged in normally), it is then hashed and compared with what is in the database.  This is the only piece of information that the hacker with a copy of the database cannot supply.  Therefore every other request on the claim form is validating only that I am either (a) the genuine owner or (b) someone who had access to the database.  Since that (b) group is no longer limited to "Bitcoinica Staff", it should be considered untrustworthy.

From hash and salt, they can brute-force a collision if you don't have a secure enough password. This is why I said "reproduce your hash" before or something to that effect.

This point applies to many of your bullet points.

Rest assured many people don't have secure passwords, and they need a procedure for everybody.

Since I didn't give them my phone and real name, what are they going to compare it against?  If I had given them, the hacker would have them too.

They don't necessarily need to compare it to anything. They force you to give something that a hacker cannot give, and they can compare it to your bank account when they reimburse you. They can spot fishy stuff too, like the IPs you connect to. For instance if you connect from Russia often and your name is John Smith and have a phone from AT&T they may ask you about that.

As above, it's perfectly possible to verify that I know the password given they know just the hash.  How do you think the login system has been working?  The reason I added "possibly" is because there was nothing to stop the attacker altering the site code to store the unhashed password as well for everyone that subsequently logged in.  We can only hope that the breach didn't last long enough for that to happen.

You do understand that they shouldn't use the same salt again now right? and that if they don't, they cannot compare hashes. Also, as above.

In your case, you didn't give them your info (good idea) but you did keep a quantity of money there (bad idea). How can they tell you apart from a hacker who has the same password info as they have? they can't. All they can do is a best effort and proof of email

You've raised this point again.  I'm not sure you understand how a hashed password system works.  The attacker only has the password hash, not the password.  There is no way to go from that compromised hash to the password.  Therefore the attacker cannot supply any phrase that, when hashed, produces the database hash.  I can, because I know my password.  That is how they can tell me apart from the hacker.  That is the only way they can tell me apart from the hacker -- so why ask for any of the other information?

You do understand how a salted hash works, right? You understand that they won't reuse the hash and that bad passwords can be bruteforced, right? which is probably what they're doing now.

All the arguments circle around this.

Email ownership was already proved.  Proving it again has just given another chance at catching an unencrypted email to attackers.

Why would changing the email password help?  If it's secure already, it's fine. Why would doing it before the claim help, is the claim process going to publicly release my email?   Mindlessly changing passwords, is just more security theatre.

Your email may be compromised since long ago. Obviously if you already are well secured then no problem, but periodically changing passwords does reduce the chances of an opportunistic intrusion.

As for suggestions like asking for the latest transfer etc... pointless, the hackers have all that. They know all the wallet addresses, they can even just look up the blockchain now, even if they didn't get this info from the database.

The policies do suggest that the hackers may realistically have the passwords, though. Rendering all these points completely moot.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 01:05:39 PM

BTW, where is the mass leak or the "hackers" are just FUDging with us ?
realnowhereman

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 01:08:45 PM

From hash and salt, they can brute-force a collision if you don't have a secure enough password. This is why I said "reproduce your hash" before or something to that effect.

This point applies to many of your bullet points.

Rest assured many people don't have secure passwords, and they need a procedure for everybody.

People with weak passwords had weak passwords before the hack.

How about doing what Mt.Gox did?  If, when you enter your password at the claim stage and analyser detects it is "weak", you get put in the "needs far more strenuous verfication" pile.  For those of us with strong passwords, why are we being punished for the weak passwords of others?

I also think you trivialise how hard "reproducing your hash" is.  I don't think you know what salting is for either.  The salt could be written in giant letters on Bitcoinica's front page and it would make no difference.  The job of a salt is not be to be a secret, it is to ensure that the hash for user A is different from the hash for user B even if the passwords the users pick are the same.  It's common to write the salt in an unhashed form along with the password hash into the database.  Ideally, it is a random number selected at the time of password selection.

Given that it's not a secret, it really doesn't matter if the attacker knows it or not.  It doesn't change the difficulty of the brute forcing; it simply makes rainbow tables useless.

Your email may be compromised since long ago. Obviously if you already are well secured then no problem, but periodically changing passwords does reduce the chances of an opportunistic intrusion.

That is nothing to do with the Bitcoinica hack then, is it?  So certainly shouldn't form part of Bitcoinica's claim policy.

As for suggestions like asking for the latest transfer etc... pointless, the hackers have all that. They know all the wallet addresses, they can even just look up the blockchain now, even if they didn't get this info from the database.

I'm glad you've shifted over to my point of view on this.  As I said earlier: the only thing potentially able to identify me securely is my password; and that is the one thing the claim form doesn't ask for.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 »
  Print  

Jump to: