Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:47:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting your money where Pirate's mouth is.  (Read 73335 times)
hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 07:58:10 AM

Telling people to put their money where their mouth is is not pressuring them to gamble, it's pressuring them to stop being a douche.

Matthew, do you still want to bet that pirate will pay back his debt? I can't believe this, but if you really want, I'll bet.

Finally.

I would like a bet with you particularly. The cleanest way is to use the Vandroiy bet conditions, because they are clearly laid out and fine-tuned. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, you pay me, if Vandroiy loses, I pay you.

How much is your opinion worth? Let's say, BTC250? Or do you want it higher? Since you are so very keen on my bet, I am sure you will agree.

Howdy,

No thanks, I already have a bet with Dust, and that's more than really want to risk considering I'm only 50-50 on the outcome.    Luckily for you, Matt already has a whole giant thread with almost 5000BTC worth of other people who think just like you do.  I'm sure you'll be fine putting your money into that.   Looking forward to seeing you in that thread.

You are lucky to have an eloquent excuse, because otherwise you would probably have heard some nasty comments about brain fitting in mouth or some such.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hgmichna

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 08:09:11 AM

… use the Vandroiy bet conditions, because they are clearly laid out and fine-tuned. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, you pay me, if Vandroiy loses, I pay you. …

I accept your conditions. I'm betting 10,000BTC already in another thread however, although at the moment of writing this, 4995.89114457 BTC has been bet leaving me with 5004.10885543 BTC left to bet with. Name your bet please.

Let's leave it at BTC250 then. That's about my limit without escrow.

This is my offer. If you accept it, we have a deal.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 08:10:33 AM

… use the Vandroiy bet conditions, because they are clearly laid out and fine-tuned. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, you pay me, if Vandroiy loses, I pay you. …

I accept your conditions. I'm betting 10,000BTC already in another thread however, although at the moment of writing this, 4995.89114457 BTC has been bet leaving me with 5004.10885543 BTC left to bet with. Name your bet please.

Agreed. For my own accounting purposes I will add it to the same spreadsheet as I use for other betters of the betting thread, but I concede publicly that it is in fact a separate bet entirely and an exact mimc of the strict guidelines in Vandroiy and Pirate's bet. Good luck!

hgmichna

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 08:16:19 AM

Agreed. For my own accounting purposes I will add it to the same spreadsheet as I use for other betters of the betting thread, but I concede publicly that it is in fact a separate bet entirely and an exact mimc of the strict guidelines in Vandroiy and Pirate's bet. Good luck!

Deal. Thanks!

One day you should explain why you made such new bets in this situation.
RoloTonyBrownTown

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 08:22:09 AM

Telling people to put their money where their mouth is is not pressuring them to gamble, it's pressuring them to stop being a douche.

Matthew, do you still want to bet that pirate will pay back his debt? I can't believe this, but if you really want, I'll bet.

Finally.

I would like a bet with you particularly. The cleanest way is to use the Vandroiy bet conditions, because they are clearly laid out and fine-tuned. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, you pay me, if Vandroiy loses, I pay you.

How much is your opinion worth? Let's say, BTC250? Or do you want it higher? Since you are so very keen on my bet, I am sure you will agree.

Howdy,

No thanks, I already have a bet with Dust, and that's more than really want to risk considering I'm only 50-50 on the outcome.    Luckily for you, Matt already has a whole giant thread with almost 5000BTC worth of other people who think just like you do.  I'm sure you'll be fine putting your money into that.   Looking forward to seeing you in that thread.

You are lucky to have an eloquent excuse, because otherwise you would probably have heard some nasty comments about brain fitting in mouth or some such.

That's ok, go ahead Smiley  Luckily for me, I've not once denied that this whole thing could be a ponzi, not have I ever attempted to convince anyone to join it.  I've merely stated that what a person does with their own money is their own business.

You, on the other hand, have been extremely vocal about this being a ponzi, without a doubt, so the onus is indeed on you to now prove your convictions.

You now have, so good for you.  

hgmichna

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 11:50:53 AM

That's ok, go ahead Smiley  Luckily for me, I've not once denied that this whole thing could be a ponzi, not have I ever attempted to convince anyone to join it.  I've merely stated that what a person does with their own money is their own business.

You, on the other hand, have been extremely vocal about this being a ponzi, without a doubt, so the onus is indeed on you to now prove your convictions.

You now have, so good for you.  

I think the conviction counts for little, as you can see here all around. People have all kinds of more or less crazy convictions.

Surely it is good if somebody stands by his conviction and not just spouts stuff he himself does not value higher than nonsense. This is where a bet helps.

But the really interesting question is whether somebody is able to see the truth through the fog. 50-50 does not count. Interestingly, the people who are able to do that are often less sure of themselves, because they also know their own limits.

To recognize a picture-book Ponzi scheme, however, should not really be tasking the brain.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 01:56:21 PM

Witnessed

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2012, 10:04:34 PM

Every day, Pirate is losing the value of this bet, BTC5000, to additional interest he has promised lenders, assuming his total obligations are BTC500k.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
zyk

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 10:29:29 PM

Let's use the Vandroiy bet terms. They are well thought out and have been finely honed over the course of a week, if I remember that correctly. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, then you will pay me. If Vandroiy loses, I will pay you. I think that is a fair offer, and I also think that everybody here will recognize it as one.

How much do you want to enter? Anybody else joining in? Unlikely, but the world (not to mention myself) is probably better off if anybody who believes that the pirate is an honest man loses his money.

I appreciate that some here tried to be protective against pressuring somebody into a bet (thanks!), but in my personal case there is no problem, because I think that bets can be useful tools to either stop people spouting nonsense or uncover that they are not serious and don't really mean what they say.

Would you bet with me? I give you 200BTC if he doesn't pay, and you give me 100BTC if he pays. What do you say?

(i'm dead serious)

I take this one as dead serious and offer the 100 if Vandroi looses........put up or not so serious anymore??

Cheers Zyk
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 10:31:34 PM

Let's use the Vandroiy bet terms. They are well thought out and have been finely honed over the course of a week, if I remember that correctly. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, then you will pay me. If Vandroiy loses, I will pay you. I think that is a fair offer, and I also think that everybody here will recognize it as one.

How much do you want to enter? Anybody else joining in? Unlikely, but the world (not to mention myself) is probably better off if anybody who believes that the pirate is an honest man loses his money.

I appreciate that some here tried to be protective against pressuring somebody into a bet (thanks!), but in my personal case there is no problem, because I think that bets can be useful tools to either stop people spouting nonsense or uncover that they are not serious and don't really mean what they say.

Would you bet with me? I give you 200BTC if he doesn't pay, and you give me 100BTC if he pays. What do you say?

(i'm dead serious)

I take this one as dead serious and offer the 100 if Vandroi looses........put up or not so serious anymore??

Cheers Zyk

You didn't answer my pm a few days ago. Your bitcoinmax account still on sale?
zyk

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 12:14:56 AM

(i'm dead serious)

Cheers Zyk

You didn't answer my pm a few days ago. Your bitcoinmax account still on sale?

Hi thanks unclescrooge,

sorry for answering late but i got 2 bids for 8 already---

but if you are "dead serious"  i sell them to you for 5

when letting me in on your seriosity Cool Wink

Cheers Zyk
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 06:04:24 AM

So, apparently Vandroiy won this one? Or has Pirate actually paid all scheduled interest and withdrawal requests that were due two weeks ago or earlier?
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 06:19:43 AM

So, apparently Vandroiy won this one? Or has Pirate actually paid all scheduled interest and withdrawal requests that were due two weeks ago or earlier?

If I understood correctly, he has until Friday. Vandroiy wins on September 1st if Pirate doesn't pay back.

Its going to be an interesting weekend whatever happens. Think I need to stock up on popcorn.

hgmichna

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 06:23:47 AM

If I understood correctly, he has until Friday. Vandroiy wins on September 1st if Pirate doesn't pay back.

Its going to be an interesting weekend whatever happens. Think I need to stock up on popcorn.

I think the interesting part is long over. The only remaining interesting question is whether the pirate and his helpers can be caught.
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 06:36:23 AM

Oh. Okay. I misremembered the date of the closure announcement.
hgmichna

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 07:04:24 AM

+1000

Fuck TV, I'm watching Bitcointalk.org for the next week.  Wink

I think the interesting part is long over. The only remaining interesting question is whether the pirate and his helpers can be caught.

You could be surprised...don't ditch the popcorn yet. Smiley

As much as I like good entertainment, I think what will happen is this.

There will be some irate noise. People whill swear and whine. I hope some will get together and try to catch the thief, which I think is interesting.

Then, after a week or two, the noise will die down. Those who lost most or all of their bitcoins will simply disappear.

There may be a few movements in the market. Perhaps the pirate pulls his loot through the bitcoin market once again for a secondary laundering operation. Perhaps we are seeing this already now. But that will not move the market in any extreme ways. It will pass without much of a trace.

The reputation of bitcoin will suffer again, but it has weathered worse things than an isolated Ponzi operation.

I hope people will remember this episode and learn from it. I hope all the other Ponzi schemes will also burst and get finished, but probably most won't, as there are always some people who never learn.

And the world, including bitcoin, will go on.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 07:07:00 AM

Im going to setup a BUTTHURT glbse asset and sell shares in it.

dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1327

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 09:50:37 PM

A default will be construed to have occurred, if at any time prior to October 1 2013, 00.01 UTC, BTCST will be late by at least 14 calendar days, in disbursing either any regularly-scheduled interest payment, or any withdrawal request, by a valid account holder of BTCST.

The last regularly-scheduled interest payments went out on Monday 13th August.  So the payments that were due on Monday 20th August are currently 8 days late, and will be 14 days late on Monday 3rd September.

I don't know the date of the earliest unpaid withdrawal request.  Perhaps that's where the date of September 1st comes from.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 10:04:06 PM

A default will be construed to have occurred, if at any time prior to October 1 2013, 00.01 UTC, BTCST will be late by at least 14 calendar days, in disbursing either any regularly-scheduled interest payment, or any withdrawal request, by a valid account holder of BTCST.

The last regularly-scheduled interest payments went out on Monday 13th August.  So the payments that were due on Monday 20th August are currently 8 days late, and will be 14 days late on Monday 3rd September.

I don't know the date of the earliest unpaid withdrawal request.  Perhaps that's where the date of September 1st comes from.

Aye.  Its the first withdrawal that is the earliest deadline.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 08:46:21 PM

Right, bitlane asked for a withdrawal a few days before the 20th, then posted 3 hours later that he hadn't received it yet.  Naturally, this caused a cascade of withdrawals because pirate was unplugged for a few hours.  When he came back and needed to pay out a significant portion of his operating funds he said "fuck this, I'm done".  I still expect a partial payout and I believe it could have been a full payout if there had been less of a shitstorm, but herds will be herds.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  

Jump to: