Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:15:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin v. Bitcoin  (Read 43658 times)
ViciousPlayer

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 06:11:12 AM

Bitcoin is older and more established. It is the go to crypto. LTC is just a knock off and one of the earliest alts. It is fast, but it is way overvalued for what you get.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 06:22:38 AM

Bitcoin is older and more established. It is the go to crypto. LTC is just a knock off and one of the earliest alts. It is fast, but it is way overvalued for what you get.

Also, make no mistake that the 4x conf-speed isn't free. You get less security per conf.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 06:30:58 AM

It isn't a battle. Both coins are great. Choose them both Smiley

Ah that's right. Ltc is one of my fav altcoin, if op want to see Ltc price as altcoin price ltc have a good price I think.
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 06:33:19 AM

Litecoin is dead. It's high inflation of 30% makes it particularly unsustainable.
That's $2.5 million a month in new coins at $100 million CAP. That really eats into the buy wall in times of low demand, it's just not sustainable unfortunately, even with a halving coming up at the end of the year I believe.
Superhitech
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 07:05:51 AM

Bitcoin is better, as the Bitcoin community is bigger, and Bitcoin is more widely used. Also, Bitcoin is worth more than litecoin.
muhrohmat

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 08:37:18 AM

well for mining even and using its btc rather then ltc its better the unique advantage of ltc its more aproax in number to a currency of like 20 euros or 20 dollars but now its more down low than that and you porblaby feel conftable of having full units in btc its more difficult

Eastwind

Activity: 896

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 09:19:26 AM

There is little developments for LTC. So I think it is not in good shape. People will forget about it.
rikkie

Activity: 574

Richard Coleman - Chief Executive @ CloudThink.IO

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 09:21:36 AM

I should invest in both:
BTC : 2/3
LTC : 1/3

If one is bad at a certain moment, you still have to other one.
Never bet on one horse.
kissxrl

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:20:40 AM

Now is only temporary.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 10:23:24 AM

I am so confused.

What is better?  Which one do you guys recommend more?

Thank you for your time

well, when you have some bitcoin you should also have some Litecoin. first is gold and the other is like Silver (people say that). normally litecoin follows his big brother bitcoin in the price  Smiley

but Litecoin is alot more volatile and speculative than bitcoin. so maybe 70 % BTC and 30 % LTC , or 80/20.

stay with these two and dont invest in more than that. dont invest in pre-minded scam-coins which "promise a return" or something like that. there are alot of scams (like paycoin).

https://litecointalk.org/

VectorChief

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:30:19 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2015, 11:09:45 AM by VectorChief

Litecoin is notable because it was the first alt-coin.

^ False.
Namecoin was the first altcoin of any note (IIRC, there were a few sort-of-altcoins before Namecoin, but Namecoin is effectively the first alt).

There were some in-between-sort-of-alts before Litecoin as well, in fact it inherited Scrypt mining from Tenebrix which is now mostly dead.

Also, make no mistake that the 4x conf-speed isn't free. You get less security per conf.

There was some misunderstanding about this at some point, but faster confirmations actually provide better security per unit of time for the same hashrate. You will be better off after 10 minutes with faster coin because of the higher "sampling rate" which reduces the luck component needed for double spends.

Overall Litecoin is a healthy animal. Innovation is the invention of the blockchain itself, everything else is just variations. I like to compare crypto-coins to chemical elements. In this case the invention part is the periodic table, but it wouldn't be possible without all the elements, some of which are stable and others decay very quickly. Maybe there are still some we haven't discovered yet Smiley.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:38:25 AM

I am so confused.

Thank you for your time

Litecoin is a good backup currency and has a lot of potential growth.  Bitcoin is the real deal though.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:38:45 AM

I should invest in both:
BTC : 2/3
LTC : 1/3

You must be mad.

I would never invest a third of my holdings in Litecoin. It's worth a 5% hedge at best. When it got its big pump back in November 2013 it benefited from a massive influx into the crypto economy in general. That's all behind it now and it's sinking into the background to compete alongside all other alts with very little to offer in the way of a future having never gained the traction in adoption that was anticipated back then.

The only reason it still exists is because of high liquidity markets that speculators and day traders make a lot of money from.

If your going to put that much store into an alternative put it into, say, 1 anonymous coin and 1 Bitcoin 2.0 coin.

Darkcoin is the genuine contender for an alternative to Bitcoin. It's compatible with the Bitcoin commercial API and is turning into a mature, highly regarded contender. Everything that coin's devteam does turns out to be the right decision in hindsight. It's rapidly evolving into a perfectly balanced model of commerce-friendly tech and super-redundant, unparalleled transaction privacy.
rikkie

Activity: 574

Richard Coleman - Chief Executive @ CloudThink.IO

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 10:40:59 AM

The question was Btc versus Litecoin.
Not about darkcoin or any other coin.
I only wanted to say , never invest everything in one coin.
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:53:48 AM

I am so confused.

What is better?  Which one do you guys recommend more?

Thank you for your time

well, when you have some bitcoin you should also have some Litecoin. first is gold and the other is like Silver (people say that). normally litecoin follows his big brother bitcoin in the price  Smiley
The gold/silver analogy is silly. Back when these metals were still used as currency, the advantage of silver was that it filled a role that gold couldn't: namely payment of small quantities, where gold could not be divided into small enough coins. With cryptocurrencies this aspect has become irrelevant, because the smallest amount of Bitcoin you can send is still much smaller than the smallest purchase or tip one would make. There is no need for a cryptocurrency to fill the role of silver.

As for Litecoin following Bitcoin in price, take a look at this all-time BTC/LTC price-chart from BTC-e:
http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/pair/ltc/btc/btc-e/alltime

The trend you see is that Litecoin (and other altcoins, by the way) spike up a short time after BTC/USD has a large rally as traders are satisfied with their profits in BTC and want to diversify a bit. As the BTC-rally turns into a downtrend, LTC drops even more strongly in a gradual fashion. The largest peak in the chart not related to a BTC-rally is in july 2014, when MtGox hinted at Litecoin implementation. We all know how that went.

But the main message is that in periods where very little is going on, LTC gradually loses ground to BTC. This is extremely obvious in the chart and hints at LTC being used primarily as a vehicle for speculation in volatile periods and being primarily dumped by miners during quiet periods.

but Litecoin is alot more volatile and speculative than bitcoin. so maybe 70 % BTC and 30 % LTC , or 80/20.
LTC is at its lowest point with respect to BTC since march 2013, before the $266/BTC bubble. With no real advantages over BTC, I would recommend people only trade it speculatively, because especially around BTC-rallies there is money to be made.
VectorChief

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:09:07 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2015, 11:36:06 AM by VectorChief

I am so confused.

Thank you for your time

well, when you have some bitcoin you should also have some Litecoin. first is gold and the other is like Silver (people say that). normally litecoin follows his big brother bitcoin in the price  Smiley
The gold/silver analogy is silly. Back when these metals were still used as currency, the advantage of silver was that it filled a role that gold couldn't: namely payment of small quantities, where gold could not be divided into small enough coins. With cryptocurrencies this aspect has become irrelevant, because the smallest amount of Bitcoin you can send is still much smaller than the smallest purchase or tip one would make. There is no need for a cryptocurrency to fill the role of silver.

As for Litecoin following Bitcoin in price, take a look at this all-time BTC/LTC price-chart from BTC-e:
http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/pair/ltc/btc/btc-e/alltime

The trend you see is that Litecoin (and other altcoins, by the way) spike up a short time after BTC/USD has a large rally as traders are satisfied with their profits in BTC and want to diversify a bit. As the BTC-rally turns into a downtrend, LTC drops even more strongly in a gradual fashion. The largest peak in the chart not related to a BTC-rally is in july 2014, when MtGox hinted at Litecoin implementation. We all know how that went.

But the main message is that in periods where very little is going on, LTC gradually loses ground to BTC. This is extremely obvious in the chart and hints at LTC being used primarily as a vehicle for speculation in volatile periods and being primarily dumped by miners during quiet periods.

LTC is at its lowest point with respect to BTC since march 2013, before the $266/BTC bubble. With no real advantages over BTC, I would recommend people only trade it speculatively, because especially around BTC-rallies there is money to be made.

You need to take the distribution into account as well. In the end it is the people using the coin who give it value. If coin is stable and independent enough and community has reached some critical mass, it is unlikely that the coin will be completely abandoned. I agree though that the network effects will not allow the crypto space to expand indefinitely, but having a few good coins is definitely better than one (for reliability reasons).
oyasumi

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:28:08 AM

Litecoin is just a copy,but internet just need one.
So Litecoin is no use at all.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:30:30 AM

The question was Btc versus Litecoin.
Not about darkcoin or any other coin.

Consider my knuckles duly rapped  Wink
VectorChief

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:31:31 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2015, 12:27:51 PM by VectorChief

Litecoin is just a copy,but internet just need one.
So Litecoin is no use at all.

Yeah, no use at all, only a quarter of Bitcoin's trading volume:
http://coinmarketcap.com
Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 12:07:19 PM

I am so confused.

Thank you for your time

I really have no idea about the economics etc ... but the more used one is Bitcoin obviously , Litecoin isn't really used by Online shops and stuff . Beside in my opinion Bitcoin is Original and Litecoin is just a cheap copy of it . so here you go Bitcoin > Litecoin Grin

at least this is what I think mate

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: