Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:16:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916344 times)
MrJMassey

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:37:46 AM

I'm curious, is it possible for ASICMINER to issue futures contracts?

J.

Futures contracts over/against what?

I was thinking future Bitcoin delivery...

Sounds more like something more suitable for an exchange-based PT than for ASICMINER itself to deal with.

Is an interesting idea, not sure if it has legs.  Effectively an asicminer share is a futures contract against all future dividend payments from asicminer.  And you're talking about buying (or selling), say, the next 6 months of dividend payments?  (as an example).

You hit the nail on the head.  That's exactly what I'm talking about.  And you're likely right about the PT instead of ASICMINER thing.  I'm just curious and also new to the whole bitcoin thing, so I figured it would be better to ask risk being flamed than to just not know.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rodyland

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:47:15 AM

You hit the nail on the head.  That's exactly what I'm talking about.  And you're likely right about the PT instead of ASICMINER thing.  I'm just curious and also new to the whole bitcoin thing, so I figured it would be better to ask risk being flamed than to just not know.

Can't say for futures on dividends, but there are certainly options on shares on btct.co.  Range and liquidity (and value IMO) are pretty poor though.

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
MrJMassey

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 04:16:44 AM

What is the cutoff time for acquiring new shares for the Burnside ASICMINER-PT to still receive dividends for that week?

J.
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 05:05:38 AM

What is the cutoff time for acquiring new shares for the Burnside ASICMINER-PT to still receive dividends for that week?

J.

Up until the moment the div payment clears from AM, and til Burnside initiates the dividend. So Wednesday morning, roughly.
Mausini

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:57:13 AM

I expected the price to drop a bit, in this last two weeks to be honest. Seems like most investors know what's going, which is good.

Me too. It's both good and bad, I guess  Grin
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 10:19:18 AM

Does someone know how Asicminer is mining at btc guild?
Here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools its said that Namecoins only are mined with getwork. Does this mean when using stratum Namecoins arent mined?
The transaction fees are only shared when using PPLNS. So is Asicminer using it?
And is the 3% the fee Asicminer has to pay or is there a special agreement maybe?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
JimiQ84

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:21:24 AM

Here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools its said that Namecoins only are mined with getwork. Does this mean when using stratum Namecoins arent mined?
The transaction fees are only shared when using PPLNS. So is Asicminer using it?
And is the 3% the fee Asicminer has to pay or is there a special agreement maybe?

Asicminer on BTC guild probably uses stratum, so no Namecoins. Yes, it is set on PPLNS (https://www.btcguild.com//index.php?page=pplns&shift=4689 user 67117). I don't know about the fee, but it looks like it's automated, so 3%.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 10:40:33 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2013, 11:07:02 AM by SebastianJu

Asicminer on BTC guild probably uses stratum, so no Namecoins. Yes, it is set on PPLNS (https://www.btcguild.com//index.php?page=pplns&shift=4689 user 67117). I don't know about the fee, but it looks like it's automated, so 3%.

Ok, so the transaction fees are shared too. I took a look, they arent very high yet, up to 1 Percent of the 25BTC per block sometimes but often way smaller. So they are smaller than i thought but good that its shared anyway... over time something will be collected through this.

And mining namecoins... i wonder how rewarding this is. I checked the calculator and it seems that its not near the profitability of mining bitcoins. But i read that mining namecoins is an addition to mining bitcoins. It doesnt need extra power to do this. So it looks like extra money. So what does Asicminer lose if not mining namecoins? Or did i misread this?

Edit: I found this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166213.msg1733270#msg1733270
It implies that mining bitcoins with namecoins can give 13% more earnings. I wonder if thats true but if yes, then it would be a not small loss. Too bad that its not possible with stratum.

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:04:01 AM

Ok, so the transaction fees are shared too. I took a look, they arent very high yet, up to 1 Percent of the 25BTC per block sometimes but often way smaller. So they are smaller than i thought but good that its shared anyway... over time something will be collected through this.

And mining namecoins... i wonder how rewarding this is. I checked the calculator and it seems that its not near the profitability of mining bitcoins. But i read that mining namecoins is an addition to mining bitcoins. It doesnt need extra power to do this. So it looks like extra money. So what does Asicminer lose if not mining namecoins? Or did i misread this?
It _is_ a nice add-on, but from what I gather most pools dropped NMC mining when they introduced stratum, the only one I know that still supports it is bitminter (out of the ones that share tx fees)

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 11:11:47 AM

It _is_ a nice add-on, but from what I gather most pools dropped NMC mining when they introduced stratum, the only one I know that still supports it is bitminter (out of the ones that share tx fees)

So stratum could mine NMC but poolowners decided not to. Strange. I mean if its really true that you can earn 13% more without having to give away hashpower...
I think ill ask eleuthria if its possible to implement because i dont think Asicminer will switch the pool. And i think solomining doesnt have NMC-Mining implemented yet or am i wrong?

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 11:19:04 AM

So stratum could mine NMC but poolowners decided not to. Strange. I mean if its really true that you can earn 13% more without having to give away hashpower...
I think ill ask eleuthria if its possible to implement because i dont think Asicminer will switch the pool. And i think solomining doesnt have NMC-Mining implemented yet or am i wrong?
I think the reason is that NMC works only with getwork. I'm sure if it could have been done for stratum the pool operators would have implemented it. That wiki page is outdated. Ozco and others have dropped NMC merged mining completely.

Not so sure about the 13% either...

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 11:23:40 AM

I think the reason is that NMC works only with getwork. I'm sure if it could have been done for stratum the pool operators would have implemented it. That wiki page is outdated. Ozco and others have dropped NMC merged mining completely.

Hm... and asicmining with getwork would mean a crazy high network activity. Not suitable for asicminer because they already have problems with the network stability...

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 11:53:23 AM

I edited it only in so probably it was overseen but i got the 13% from this message: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166213.msg1733270#msg1733270
I dont know if that still is valid but the post is only a couple of days old. If its really this way i think ill try to mine with getwork with my avalon once its here. Only to check if the results are better this way. I hope the network use is manageable.

MrJMassey

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 04:28:00 PM

J.

Up until the moment the div payment clears from AM, and til Burnside initiates the dividend. So Wednesday morning, roughly.

Wednesday morning is a little vague, however, is there a time window and according to what time zone?

J.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:02:10 PM

Edit: I found this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166213.msg1733270#msg1733270
It implies that mining bitcoins with namecoins can give 13% more earnings. I wonder if thats true but if yes, then it would be a not small loss. Too bad that its not possible with stratum.

ASICs CAN NOT mine namecoins because it is almost required that ASIC must mine with stratum, because they solve shares too fast. Namecoin can not be mined with stratum.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:08:02 PM

ASICs CAN NOT mine namecoins because it is almost required that ASIC must mine with stratum, because they solve shares too fast. Namecoin can not be mined with stratum.
Don't know where you got that idea. ASICs work great with GBT, and Namecoin can very well be mined with stratum (Eligius did so for a while before removing Namecoin simply because it's a dead system).

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 07:04:30 PM

Namecoin can not be mined with stratum.

Wrong!  Bitparking and Bitminter feature merged mining via stratum.

ASICMINER needs to point their local stratum proxies at those two, so we stop missing out on the extra 9% offered by the altchains.

Here's a fun activity: look up AM's current hashrate and plug it in to http://dustcoin.com/mining.

Today, we're leaving about $7,000 in IX/Name/Dev coins on the table by not mining merged style!!!   Shocked

IDC if Namecoin is dead.  The corpse wants to pay me dividends, if AM lets it.   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Franktank

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:56:47 PM

I understand why there are some that support altcoins but I'm fairly certain friedcat and co. will focus on getting hash power up before considering mining altcoins. It would be quite the uproar from shareholders if they used a portion of hashing power to mine altcoins now.
Uglux

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:06:49 PM

I understand why there are some that support altcoins but I'm fairly certain friedcat and co. will focus on getting hash power up before considering mining altcoins. It would be quite the uproar from shareholders if they used a portion of hashing power to mine altcoins now.
Merged Mining
jeprokzki

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:28:21 PM

how can i invest here? and is this working now?
Pages: « 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: