Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:13:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... 328 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming)  (Read 790353 times)
rhinomonkey

Activity: 646
Merit: 501

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:49:18 AM

Coins, did you happen to get any word from poloniex? Who was in charge of that last time? Is this something we still want to pursue?

A couple more questions:

How do you end up getting mobile location data through full bitcoin node? Do they receive that information from SPV wallets?

Do you have any good links for me to look over on this stuff? I want to get up to speed here.

SPVs are dumb clients, pretty much.

They need someone to spoon feed them data. If you have a second layer with thousands of full bitcoin nodes, you'll end up serving most of the SPVs, especially if you are hosting your full node in a professional facility with fast hardware and fast bandwidth. You'll be able to learn a lot by providing good coverage and good infrastructure for SPVs to connect to.

Slide 9, you'll find a link to Andreas's bitcoin book

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1qyExM5c1Ws7eUEj3J_gJ76zFe2WQaLdqJHMbJIJ_jng/edit?usp=sharing

I will look into that! Thanks!

"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:56:28 AM

300 SPR for the person that guesses when Georgem goes Legendary (nearest will do).

April 4th 2016.

Ima guess May 5th

njs811

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 08:10:29 AM

How realistic would it be to host a website on these nodes? Bypassing a single dedicated server?
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 09:38:59 AM

How realistic would it be to host a website on these nodes? Bypassing a single dedicated server?

Very realistic. 

The long-long term goal is to host a Coinbase type account. You would need to host web pages to do that.
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:26:52 AM

Very realistic.  

The long-long term goal is to host a Coinbase type account. You would need to host web pages to do that.

There could be a BIP out of this.

I've always found it stupid that you can make a Bitcoin transaction for less than $0.10 but that transaction could be sitting around unspent for years, and years and years.

The real cost of one Bitcoin transaction that sits around for a year could be $10, or $100 [each year]

Visa handles billions of transactions, but they are all throughput. No mempool.

The Bitcoin blockchain is being treated like a bank account, so we'll design some banking features into the Spreadcoin second layer.  As we can do this with fresh eyes, we can design out some of the crap of banking and keep the good stuff.
georgem (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2016, 01:38:33 PM

hm, not sure I understand your question.

Do you want to host websites on the same server that runs a node?
No problem, I am doing that all the time. It would be a waste of space/cpu to host a dedicated server "just" to run a node.

Or, do you mean that you want a node to give back html-sites (answer http requests like a webserver) when a certain IP/port is opened in a browser?
Kinda like giving back a "webstats site" with servicenode information to the public? And it would be the servicenode itself that "serves" those html pages to the clients?

That's probably not what you are asking about, but those are all interesting questions that we will explore...

njs811

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:15:22 PM

No problem, I am doing that all the time. It would be a waste of space/cpu to host a dedicated server "just" to run a node.

Or, do you mean that you want a node to give back html-sites (answer http requests like a webserver) when a certain IP/port is opened in a browser?
Kinda like giving back a "webstats site" with servicenode information to the public? And it would be the servicenode itself that "serves" those html pages to the clients?

That's probably not what you are asking about, but those are all interesting questions that we will explore...

Actually you hit it on the head. I am wondering if it would be possible to take the current Spreadcoin website (Spreadcointalk) and place it on the service nodes so that they answer http requests like a webserver.  If i'm not mistaken this would entirely decentralize the website. Making it impossible for a country of origin to stake claim to it. Websites like Pirate Bay or other torrent websites would no longer be "owned" by anyone.  You could create websites that no longer hide on the deep web. And, once the service node network grew enough I would imagine we would maintain the network in every country. Meaning that anyone could access a website through their closest servicenode. This means that governments around the world could no longer block websites for any reason. The ability to create a websites "For the People, By the People".  No more government restrictions on anything placed online.  If Spreadcoin was the first it would be one of the most revolutionary things to hit the internet.
rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 06:39:08 PM

Georgem,

Upon a node being kicked from the network due to not meeting the criteria of a productive node, will the network automatically recognize the next node "in line" with the next highest collateral? Meaning, will there be a queue of nodes bidding to get on the SN network (if for instance someone couldn't or didn't want to buy more SPR to get on the network - they merely keep their node with less than sufficient collateral running on a vps waiting for a spot to open)?

i.e. Say a node gets kicked for being a crappy node, and I have a node on a VPS with the collateral of say 995 (the highest of any other sitting on a VPS), would my node be immediately inaugurated into the service network, or would I have to do something to make it a SN after recognizing there was a spot open?

Forgive me if you have addressed this somewhere. I didn't see it in your original update - only that one could *take* a seat. Not *receive* a seat after waiting.

rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 06:50:05 PM

Actually you hit it on the head. I am wondering if it would be possible to take the current Spreadcoin website (Spreadcointalk) and place it on the service nodes so that they answer http requests like a webserver.  If i'm not mistaken this would entirely decentralize the website. Making it impossible for a country of origin to stake claim to it. Websites like Pirate Bay or other torrent websites would no longer be "owned" by anyone.  You could create websites that no longer hide on the deep web. And, once the service node network grew enough I would imagine we would maintain the network in every country. Meaning that anyone could access a website through their closest servicenode. This means that governments around the world could no longer block websites for any reason. The ability to create a websites "For the People, By the People".  No more government restrictions on anything placed online.  If Spreadcoin was the first it would be one of the most revolutionary things to hit the internet.

That is an interesting thought. Separately, perhaps you have spreadcoin assist networks made up of a variety of different types of nodes - i.e. Tor network, OpenBazaar, and a few other coins off the top of my head - like Shadowcash - at least they are developing a marketplace of sorts. I don't think there would be much financial incentive, but if you liked any of those projects you could help support them with service nodes - at least the coins... idk about the other nodes.

But yea, building an entire decentralized internet of sorts would be pretty damn cool - with the entire infrastructure being Spreadcoin nodes.

We could even develop a tertiary Spreadcoin network if we wanted more nodes???

georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2016, 08:14:26 PM

Georgem,

Upon a node being kicked from the network due to not meeting the criteria of a productive node, will the network automatically recognize the next node "in line" with the next highest collateral? Meaning, will there be a queue of nodes bidding to get on the SN network (if for instance someone couldn't or didn't want to buy more SPR to get on the network - they merely keep their node with less than sufficient collateral running on a vps waiting for a spot to open)?

The way I focus on implementing it is not by kicking nodes from the network.
What will happen is that your "bad" node will be left out of the payment-cycle and receive no reward, but your node doesn't stop doing it's (although crappy) job.
Ofcourse it is also possible that your node is misbehaving so badly that other servicenodes have put it on a temporary blacklist, then your node is like a mental patient talking to itself.
But there is no "shutting down" mechanism involved at all.

Furthermore, the network knows at all times the amounts of collateral that any servicenode is currently willing to invest.
Those are locked SPR amounts, visible in the blockchain.

i.e. Say a node gets kicked for being a crappy node, and I have a node on a VPS with the collateral of say 995 (the highest of any other sitting on a VPS), would my node be immediately inaugurated into the service network, or would I have to do something to make it a SN after recognizing there was a spot open?

Forgive me if you have addressed this somewhere. I didn't see it in your original update - only that one could *take* a seat. Not *receive* a seat after waiting.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to achieve, a more or less automatic re-entrance.
If your node was already running, but couldn't occupy a seat because all seats were taken, then the moment the situation changes, you'll immediately re-enter the game.

In this regard... seats don't really exist, you never occupy anything. it's rather a continuum that is constantly recalculated to find out if you are eligible for a reward.
And this continuum (the spread) can be visualized in the form of seats. This visualization is for us humans, not for the network.

Well there is more to the story, because the scoring mechanism has some say too, and it is quite possible that you..

a) have a running servicenode
b) are eligible to receive a reward
but
c) your scoring is so bad that your reward is nullified.

I am doing experiments with letting your servicenode be prepared so that it can automatically react to a constantly changing situation.

If you look at this screenshot under "Auto collateral tasks"...

... this will be a mechanism you can setup to let your servicenode automatically do all kinds of things so it can quickly react when the "collateral market" changes.

For example you can say here:

If your current COLLATERAL falls lower than the MEAN of all other collaterals in the network, then go ahead and ADD enough SPR so that your COLLATERAL is again atleast as large as the MEAN.

There will be more such trigger points you can define in an IFTTT (if this then that) fashion.

minerpage

Activity: 268

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 09:46:14 PM

Really exciting stuff, can't wait to see it work  Cool
rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 07:12:58 AM
Last edit: March 13, 2016, 07:34:26 AM by rhinomonkey

... this will be a mechanism you can setup to let your servicenode automatically do all kinds of things so it can quickly react when the "collateral market" changes.

If your current COLLATERAL falls lower than the MEAN of all other collaterals in the network, then go ahead and ADD enough SPR so that your COLLATERAL is again atleast as large as the MEAN.

There will be more such trigger points you can define in an IFTTT (if this then that) fashion.

This is a great explanation. It definitely cleared things up and I'm even more excited than I was - it's nice to be able to tangibly imagine how we will actually be able to run our service nodes!

I really like that you are attempting to make it user friendly. It seems as though your approach will limit frustrations with maintaining Service Nodes, which I'm sure is your goal. Being able to "fire and forget" will be nice for a lot of people. I am so excited to see this in action. I second minerpage!!

I am doing experiments with letting your servicenode be prepared so that it can automatically react to a constantly changing situation.

Sounds like testing the finishing touches to me!!!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

njs811

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 08:18:51 AM

Georgem,

The way I focus on implementing it is not by kicking nodes from the network.
What will happen is that your "bad" node will be left out of the payment-cycle and receive no reward, but your node doesn't stop doing it's (although crappy) job.
Ofcourse it is also possible that your node is misbehaving so badly that other servicenodes have put it on a temporary blacklist, then your node is like a mental patient talking to itself.
But there is no "shutting down" mechanism involved at all.

Furthermore, the network knows at all times the amounts of collateral that any servicenode is currently willing to invest.
Those are locked SPR amounts, visible in the blockchain.

If your node was already running, but couldn't occupy a seat because all seats were taken, then the moment the situation changes, you'll immediately re-enter the game.

In this regard... seats don't really exist, you never occupy anything. it's rather a continuum that is constantly recalculated to find out if you are eligible for a reward.
And this continuum (the spread) can be visualized in the form of seats. This visualization is for us humans, not for the network.

Well there is more to the story, because the scoring mechanism has some say too, and it is quite possible that you..

a) have a running servicenode
b) are eligible to receive a reward
but
c) your scoring is so bad that your reward is nullified.

Would you be interested in a testnet version where several of us could help in beta testing?
Vaccomondus

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 08:42:37 AM

it would be cool to integrate a decentralized exchange in the wallet
georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2016, 01:09:11 PM

Would you be interested in a testnet version where several of us could help in beta testing?

Well ofcourse, I'm just very occupied with my dayjob at the moment, that's what keeps creating the delays ...
Everybody here is waiting for the testnet version!
... tomorrow I have a deadline, but after that I've earned myself a few free days that belong to spreadcoin only!  Cool

Then I'll be like:

and

and finally

Stay tuned, like those energized eguitars!

njs811

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 05:14:29 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2016, 05:48:06 PM by njs811

Well ofcourse, I'm just very occupied with my dayjob at the moment, that's what keeps creating the delays ...
Everybody here is waiting for the testnet version!
... tomorrow I have a deadline, but after that I've earned myself a few free days that belong to spreadcoin only!  Cool

Then I'll be like:

and

and finally

Stay tuned, like those energized eguitars!

I wish I knew more about code. It would be great to pitch in. Unfortunately, I only know introductory Python/C++ though :/
rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 05:54:52 PM

I wish I knew more about code. It would be great to pitch in. Unfortunately, I only know introductory Python/C++ though :/

Maybe we can help Georgem in other ways!

I for one will be posting motivational videos and memes!  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZ3SN65kIs

Some inspiration! hahahah

rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 09:15:15 PM

I messed around with the reddit again today and I think it looks a lot better:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpreadcoinOfficial/

sirazimuth
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 3485

born once atheist

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 09:36:35 PM

well that explains the bittrex spike i guess...

Bitcoin...the future of all monetary transactions...and always will be
georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2016, 10:33:40 PM

I messed around with the reddit again today and I think it looks a lot better:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpreadcoinOfficial/

nice job, it keeps looking better and better.

Pages: « 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... 328 »
  Print  

Jump to: