Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:15:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 ... 764 »
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA  (Read 1471700 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 08:09:33 AM

Should ordinary users download 1.0.3.eta also, or do you prefer that just bootstrapping servers use it?

The latter.

Hello Come-from-Beyond.  I am using the 1.0.1 exe wallet as an ordinary user.  Do you recommend staying with this wallet for the foreseeable future or updating?  I
understand 1.0.4 is coming soon.

Thanks for your response.

The latter.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
50cent_rapper
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 01:49:14 PM

I will repeat again, for those how do not understand:

You donate to bigdeal 10% of you stash
You remaining stash goes 10x in btc/usd value
because the funds from bigdeal will be given to big businesses
so they have the reason
to use IOTA network to transfer data
gathered from IoT sensors!

This is really so easy - you pay 10%, you remaining tokens goes in value 10x times!

http://bigdeal.iotatoken.com/ <-- thats the site where you send your coins, and they go 10x!
50cent_rapper
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 01:54:54 PM

We all want IOTA cost as Ethereum, 1 billions dollars, isn't it?
Then we need, as Ethereum, to get REAL BUSINESSES ON BOARD!
PAY FOR IT! It may be the one life changing chance!
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 04:32:02 PM

Not a great comparison as Eth holders didn't have to donate anything. The issue I see is that a lot of whales have sold OTC and OTC buyers are much less willing to donate large amounts because they paid a premium for their IOTA. I don't see Big Deal going through unfortunately, but we have a really strong Foundation fund and should move on.
50cent_rapper
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 04:51:54 PM
Last edit: August 24, 2016, 05:03:21 PM by 50cent_rapper

Not a great comparison as Eth holders didn't have to donate anything. The issue I see is that a lot of whales have sold OTC and OTC buyers are much less willing to donate large amounts because they paid a premium for their IOTA. I don't see Big Deal going through unfortunately, but we have a really strong Foundation fund and should move on.

I have 2 points to discuss:

1) This is the problem of viewing back versus viewing in the future.
If I can buy Eth now, at 1 500 000 BTC marketcap, and if I knew that it will
go to 3 000 000 BTC marketcap, it means that I'll make 2x - or 200% RoI. Even so the starting marketcap of Eth was 30 000 BTC.

So it really doesn't matter who entered in IOTA at lower prices.

2) David may try to finish the deal with big businesses at lower amount of IOTA-s. So it really make sense to try to get at 30 Ti.

Even if he fails, there are other interested  parties (not only 2, who can get BigDeals IOTA-s in exchange of using IOTA network).

I know msin that you already donated 10% of your stake to Foundation (thank you very much), but you as I must be understanding that the thing which create market value is not bitcointalk community, not twitter ads, not even media buzz, but external real life companies, who actually use tokens/coins.

I even think that the first thing which brought value to bitcoins were, I'm not afraid to say this, it were the ability to buy weed at black market at early days via bitcoin.
marcus1986

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 07:45:21 PM

Does anyone know if the Big Deal Summary include manual claimed iotas? Or do we have 19Ti + unknown count of manual claimed and donated funds?
iotatoken

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 08:47:54 PM

Manual Claims have not yet been counted, but so far only make up a few more %, will be processed this week.

We will adjust the goal to 50 Ti. With this minimum I am confident that we can squeeze the main and necessary goals out of the negotiations, but time is ticking very fast. For all those who have not yet donated I got one question, are you really willing to risk 2-5-10x increase by refusing to part with 0.02 or 0.010x of your stake? Honestly? I would love to chat with such an individual just to get insight into what sort of fascinating pattern of thinking gave rise to that decision.

In all seriousness. 50 Ti is nothing, we as a community should be able to achieve this. This event is something we'd have 4 premium speaking spots spread out over 4 days at if this Big Deal had gone through already. There are several more of these events and equally important things on line, are we as a community going to let it go to waste over ~2% of the collective stake?

msin
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 09:18:32 PM

I know msin that you already donated 10% of your stake to Foundation (thank you very much)

I donated over 20% of my stake to Foundation.
Hollowman338
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 09:50:54 PM

Reset the network with an inflated supply to accommodate the "big deal", effectively a universal devaluation aka contribution from all
sandiman

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 11:01:00 PM

Reset the network with an inflated supply to accommodate the "big deal", effectively a universal devaluation aka contribution from all

I think it's impossible as supply as been already changed and choosen for particular reasons...
HindsightHero

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 11:09:00 PM

Just donated 1 Ti Iota. Lets get this done guys! Its in everyones interest!
msin
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 11:12:41 PM

Manual Claims have not yet been counted, but so far only make up a few more %, will be processed this week.

We will adjust the goal to 50 Ti. With this minimum I am confident that we can squeeze the main and necessary goals out of the negotiations, but time is ticking very fast. For all those who have not yet donated I got one question, are you really willing to risk 2-5-10x increase by refusing to part with 0.02 or 0.010x of your stake? Honestly? I would love to chat with such an individual just to get insight into what sort of fascinating pattern of thinking gave rise to that decision.

In all seriousness. 50 Ti is nothing, we as a community should be able to achieve this. This event is something we'd have 4 premium speaking spots spread out over 4 days at if this Big Deal had gone through already. There are several more of these events and equally important things on line, are we as a community going to let it go to waste over ~2% of the collective stake?

David, how about using some of the Foundation funds to fund the Big Deal? If it's concerning adoption/marketing it could be Iota well spent. Keep the Foundation addresses up and running so we can continue to contribute to the Foundation.
iotatoken

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 12:16:11 AM

David, how about using some of the Foundation funds to fund the Big Deal? If it's concerning adoption/marketing it could be Iota well spent. Keep the Foundation addresses up and running so we can continue to contribute to the Foundation.

It's not a good choice. The community has to take its own responsibility. Even the largest whales of Ethereum, or even the founder (Vitalik) himself only had 1% of total ethers, now he has more like 0.5% iirc. People need to just ask themselves: "Given the amount of IOTA I hold, am I contributing even remotely as much as Vitalik did to Ethereum?" if the answer is  "No", well then you're doing something wrong.
I've reiterated this so many times since day one back in October that it just feels tiring even saying it at this point... If we reach 45 Ti, then perhaps the Foundation can indeed put in 5 Ti, but come on people, stop playing the victim of your environment, you got the choice of your and IOTA's future in your own hands, do something with it!

whatisbitcoin2016

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 12:36:02 AM

If that was imperative you should hve put it at higher priority than foundation funding OR you should have put foundation funds toward making it happen and recoup them through further donation.
iotatoken

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 12:43:45 AM

If that was imperative you should hve put it at higher priority than foundation funding OR you should have put foundation funds toward making it happen and recoup them through further donation.

No.

Alright let's put this into the realm of the real world where I prefer to operate. Ethereum had 35x more initial funding than IOTA and also had a 17% premine for their Foundation and founders. From a pure ROI PoV (since this is clearly what a lot of speculators make decisions by) we have already surpassed Ethereum in half the time it took them to achieve what they have done. So having a Foundation with the VOLUNTARY equivalent of 1/3rd of the Ethereum foundation clearly shows that OF COURSE the community also have to commit funds to projects and deals like this. It's a nobrainer.

msin
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 01:20:48 AM

It's not a good choice. The community has to take its own responsibility. Even the largest whales of Ethereum, or even the founder (Vitalik) himself only had 1% of total ethers, now he has more like 0.5% iirc. People need to just ask themselves: "Given the amount of IOTA I hold, am I contributing even remotely as much as Vitalik did to Ethereum?" if the answer is  "No", well then you're doing something wrong.
I've reiterated this so many times since day one back in October that it just feels tiring even saying it at this point... If we reach 45 Ti, then perhaps the Foundation can indeed put in 5 Ti, but come on people, stop playing the victim of your environment, you got the choice of your and IOTA's future in your own hands, do something with it!

Sure, makes sense, hopefully whales will step up, I've donated to both.
boomboom

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 01:30:21 AM

I think we can make it to 50 Ti when manual claims have been completed and those guys have control of their own stacks. Like it or not most will want to donate the minimum amount that achieves the goal, that's what game theory tells us. Foundation donations go to guys we know, but big deal is unknown people, so most guys are thinking 'what's the minimum I have to contribute to get across the line?' - the manual claim whales will donate more, but only right at the very end, that's the rational thing to do when you're giving free funds to strangers.
luey

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 01:53:06 AM
Last edit: August 25, 2016, 02:27:02 AM by luey

EDIT, client error, resending. As promised after reach 20Ti goal, also throwing in an extra Ti,
2Ti sent, hash UJ9AXNUBMYVBRBYJGSJGSIDZAGZBLASDQ99WXYFLBTIPHBQXHTKRQCGXCOBXIPSPUBHLG9HYOVZDC99 99 we should reach 22Ti+ after the website catches up

Guys this will be my last input regards to donations and your bag of iota.
Unless you have a better investment plan in mind to help your iota into real world uses, please consider what i have to say below.
History will repeat if nothing is done.

Think nxt for example. the infamous 50mil nxt bagholder, i believe is still bagholding. only recently has panicked and tries a little bit to help.

nxt has so much so much potential as first mover at 2nd gen, but the whales totally fucked up being greedy and look where nxt is now, it is struggling.

exact same could happen to iota as 1st mover at IOT/fee'less.
competition rises fast, fcuk bagholding and reinvest in your tokens for usage.

it is exactly like the real world life you are in, you do not get rich for bagholding dollars, you need to reinvest those in order to keep up ahead.

Don't say iota is not inflationary and dollars is and its a bad comparison, you have to remember that competitions from the richer getting richer and smarter doing what ever they can to become part of the richer is driving prices up of everyday things, when everyday prices goes up thats when your just a bagholder.

I have close relatives did exactly that in real life, now their dollars is worth nothing after few decades, while the smart people has invested in properties/businesses.

ps. i won't disclose how big my bag is but i am proud to say that the % im donating is more than most. And even more will come into other initiatives.

moonfrog

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 05:11:37 AM

EDIT, client error, resending. As promised after reach 20Ti goal, also throwing in an extra Ti,
2Ti sent, hash UJ9AXNUBMYVBRBYJGSJGSIDZAGZBLASDQ99WXYFLBTIPHBQXHTKRQCGXCOBXIPSPUBHLG9HYOVZDC99 99 we should reach 22Ti+ after the website catches up

Unless you have a better investment plan in mind to help your iota into real world uses, please consider what i have to say below.

Think nxt for example. the infamous 50mil nxt bagholder, i believe is still bagholding. only recently has panicked and tries a little bit to help.

nxt has so much so much potential as first mover at 2nd gen, but the whales totally fucked up being greedy and look where nxt is now, it is struggling.

it is exactly like the real world life you are in, you do not get rich for bagholding dollars, you need to reinvest those in order to keep up ahead.

Don't say iota is not inflationary and dollars is and its a bad comparison, you have to remember that competitions from the richer getting richer and smarter doing what ever they can to become part of the richer is driving prices up of everyday things, when everyday prices goes up thats when your just a bagholder.

I have close relatives did exactly that in real life, now their dollars is worth nothing after few decades, while the smart people has invested in properties/businesses.

ps. i won't disclose how big my bag is but i am proud to say that the % im donating is more than most. And even more will come into other initiatives.

+1 Very nice. Donate or die trying.
Ask not what IOTA can do for you, ask what you can do for IOTA.
Community, we are strong together! Let's do this important step - donate to Big Deal for IOTA success.

empty
Timeline
Legendary

Activity: 924

TokenHouse decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 08:27:35 AM

+1 Very nice. Donate or die trying.
Ask not what IOTA can do for you, ask what you can do for IOTA.
Community, we are strong together! Let's do this important step - donate to Big Deal for IOTA success.

I agree. Also if this big deal gets funded it means much more liquidity to Iota, that is important because it means that big businessess are more likely to use Iota rather than create their own version of the tangle. I will donate tonight to big deal a couple hundred Giota, also medium and small Iota holders should donate (what they can) and not rely on whales donating, every Iota counts and is important imo.

Pages: « 1 ... 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 ... 764 »
  Print  

Jump to: