Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:36:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][EGC] EverGreenCoin | Environmental Green Causes | Full 7% PoS | Foundation  (Read 284480 times)
starmman
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1029

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:26:43 AM

Here is the EverGreenCoin Foundation's balance new home. As you can see, it is very much still a work in progress and I did go a bit overboard with the components, but I wanted to be sure to overshoot rather than under and know it would be up and running. Of course, as we get closer to a finalized parts list, a proper enclosure will be designed. Again, thanks to everyone who is contributing to the EverGreenCoin Solar Staker project!
Looks awesome - I need to make one of those myself! Fantastic work there Steven.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2017, 09:39:12 AM

Here is the EverGreenCoin Foundation's balance new home. As you can see, it is very much still a work in progress and I did go a bit overboard with the components, but I wanted to be sure to overshoot rather than under and know it would be up and running. Of course, as we get closer to a finalized parts list, a proper enclosure will be designed. Again, thanks to everyone who is contributing to the EverGreenCoin Solar Staker project!

very nice work mate ...

that is about as good as it gets - apart from the enclosure ...

#crysx

rotzbouf

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 07:42:36 PM

I actually plan to run some more components on solar power. As I have some devices running 24/7, I would like to have them at least to run green. But I am still unsure about the size of my battery backups and panel sizes. What would you recomment in order to run 100W device 24/7 on solar. Considering winter with very few sun hours per day, my initial plan was to have about 400W of panels. probably adding a wind turbine for windy not so sunny days. And what battery capacity would you recommend on such a setup. The whole setup is able to run on 12V, so no lost on DC-AC conversion.

П    |⧛ ☛  Join the signature campaign and earn free PI daily!  ✅ |⧛    П
|⧛         ☛  PiCoin - get in now  ✅     ☛ No ICO!  ✅          |⧛
drofxafm

Activity: 121
Merit: 20

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:05:34 PM

I actually plan to run some more components on solar power. As I have some devices running 24/7, I would like to have them at least to run green. But I am still unsure about the size of my battery backups and panel sizes. What would you recomment in order to run 100W device 24/7 on solar. Considering winter with very few sun hours per day, my initial plan was to have about 400W of panels. probably adding a wind turbine for windy not so sunny days. And what battery capacity would you recommend on such a setup. The whole setup is able to run on 12V, so no lost on DC-AC conversion.

My working for that would start along the lines of 100W at 12V requires 8.5A (rounded up to the nearest half amp). For 24 Hours worth of battery you would need 204Ah worth of 12V cells (that's a few car batteries worth).

For 24/7 operation you'll need to have enough solar capacity to run your devices and charge the batteries. In winter there might be 8 hours of reasonable light and 16 hours when you need to run from battery, meaning you'll likely need 300W output from the panels.

Also in winter you probably wont get the full output from the panels, based on a little of it experience you might only get 10% of the panels output on an overcast winter day (maybe even less with really thick cloud cover).

At that power usage you might benefit from running the solar output and battery systems at a higher voltage dropping down to 12V near the point of use (100W as 12V means over 8A, that can mean a large voltage drop in the cable unless you're running very large wires, running at 48V means just over 2A so smaller cables for a similar voltage drop)
drofxafm

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:18:55 PM

Seeing Steven's solar testing I've started preparing a test using more of the stuff built into the CHIP (it's got a LiPo battery charging system on board). This hopefully gives a smaller/cheaper option although might not manage full 24/7/365 operation.

I've got the bits bodged together on the windowsill and saw a little bit of power going into the CHIP from solar earlier (it's been very overcast here so didn't expect much). I'm hoping the weathers better later this week so I can test it better and hopefully get some pictures.
EverGreenCoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1192

EverGreenCoin® (EGC) EverGreenCoin.org

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 12:18:24 AM

As promised, some screenshots of the Android EverGreenCoin wallet in operation on an Android device...

Sending and receiving are working. We are getting near the point of having a beta APK ready for testing on various Android devices.

Chicago

Activity: 592
Merit: 259

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 02:26:57 AM

As promised, some screenshots of the Android EverGreenCoin wallet in operation on an Android device...
Sending and receiving are working. We are getting near the point of having a beta APK ready for testing on various Android devices.

rotzbouf

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 08:20:38 AM

My working for that would start along the lines of 100W at 12V requires 8.5A (rounded up to the nearest half amp). For 24 Hours worth of battery you would need 204Ah worth of 12V cells (that's a few car batteries worth).

For 24/7 operation you'll need to have enough solar capacity to run your devices and charge the batteries. In winter there might be 8 hours of reasonable light and 16 hours when you need to run from battery, meaning you'll likely need 300W output from the panels.

Also in winter you probably wont get the full output from the panels, based on a little of it experience you might only get 10% of the panels output on an overcast winter day (maybe even less with really thick cloud cover).

At that power usage you might benefit from running the solar output and battery systems at a higher voltage dropping down to 12V near the point of use (100W as 12V means over 8A, that can mean a large voltage drop in the cable unless you're running very large wires, running at 48V means just over 2A so smaller cables for a similar voltage drop)

Thanks for the feedback, so with 400W of panels with additional wind turbine of 400-500W it should be fine to run 100W 24/7.
As for the cables, I should be fine. I still have some 4mm2 cables around which can take easily 60A.
Batterie capacity will be slightly higher as you suggested to avoid deep discharge in case of bad weather conditions. Will probably scale the batteries to last several days.
I will think about your suggestion to raise the voltage to 24V, but as most device are able to run on 12V, I need to see if it benefits the whole setup when I raise the voltage.

materazi

Activity: 694

In Nervos we trust.

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 08:37:35 AM

the DEV still work in the project, but the coin looks like dead in the exchanges  Huh 
starmman
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 09:28:37 AM

the DEV still work in the project, but the coin looks like dead in the exchanges  Huh 
There is quite a lot of volume on the coin still, I suspect that the price is being brought down so somebody can accumulate larger quantities. I'm using the opportunity of a low price to accumulate more.
Chicago

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 09:33:38 AM

Hi materazi,

Now would be a good time to invest, while the EGC price is so affordable.
    We haven't seen a buying opportunity like this since last February when Evergreencoin was first available on the exchanges.

With the Solar Staker and Android wallet coming to fruition, merchants will be in a great position to trade in EGC.
    The development work on the blockchain and wallet continue to enhance the user experience and improve the reliability of the network.

We encourage community members to share their ideas and feedback with us here and on the official forums at https://evergreencoin.org/

Your observation about the coin on the exchanges is accurate.  All of us would feel much better if there was a strong upward trend and increased trading volume today.

Do you have any suggestions for outreach to bring new users to Evergreencoin?

Best Regards,
-Chicago

starmman
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

All of us would feel much better if there was a strong upward trend and increased trading volume today.  
I'm more than happy to see the price drop - as I'm very confident in the project and have a feeling that will be massively higher later in the year, IMO this is a golden opportunity to buy - which is excatly what I'm doing - anything sub 1000 is a great price.
drofxafm

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 10:00:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback, so with 400W of panels with additional wind turbine of 400-500W it should be fine to run 100W 24/7.
As for the cables, I should be fine. I still have some 4mm2 cables around which can take easily 60A.
Batterie capacity will be slightly higher as you suggested to avoid deep discharge in case of bad weather conditions. Will probably scale the batteries to last several days.
I will think about your suggestion to raise the voltage to 24V, but as most device are able to run on 12V, I need to see if it benefits the whole setup when I raise the voltage.

That might work, if it was solar only then you might need 3kw of panels to cover winter, but wind might give you better coverage during the day.

For cables it's not so much about what current they can carry but what the voltage drop will be (especially when running at lower voltages). 4mm2 cables would look to be around 6awg. Doing some maths at 8A over a 10m distance (20m of total cable) you get about .2v drop which might be acceptable.

As you start to increase the usage going to 20m distance between battery and device and pulling 20A the voltage drop rises to 1V (meaning that with 12V at the battery you only get 11V at the equipment). If the distribution was at 24V (with a 24-12v smps device near the equipment) you'll only have 0.5V drop over the bulk of the wiring.

This is the same reason that mains power distribution networks generally run in the many kv range even though the voltage delivered to customers will (almost always) be under 450v (depending on where you are in the world)

This also helps in the case of running from batteries as the battery voltage can vary depending on where in the discharge cycle it is (meaning as the batteries get more depleted you might only see 9V at the equipment (on that 20A/20m example). I run a similar trick for running a radio from smaller (7Ah) SLA batteries. Running the batteries in series (24v) with a 24-12v smps convertor means the radio sees 12v until the batteries are almost dead.
rotzbouf

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 01:59:25 PM

That might work, if it was solar only then you might need 3kw of panels to cover winter, but wind might give you better coverage during the day.

For cables it's not so much about what current they can carry but what the voltage drop will be (especially when running at lower voltages). 4mm2 cables would look to be around 6awg. Doing some maths at 8A over a 10m distance (20m of total cable) you get about .2v drop which might be acceptable.

As you start to increase the usage going to 20m distance between battery and device and pulling 20A the voltage drop rises to 1V (meaning that with 12V at the battery you only get 11V at the equipment). If the distribution was at 24V (with a 24-12v smps device near the equipment) you'll only have 0.5V drop over the bulk of the wiring.

This is the same reason that mains power distribution networks generally run in the many kv range even though the voltage delivered to customers will (almost always) be under 450v (depending on where you are in the world)

This also helps in the case of running from batteries as the battery voltage can vary depending on where in the discharge cycle it is (meaning as the batteries get more depleted you might only see 9V at the equipment (on that 20A/20m example). I run a similar trick for running a radio from smaller (7Ah) SLA batteries. Running the batteries in series (24v) with a 24-12v smps convertor means the radio sees 12v until the batteries are almost dead.

Very good points. Special thanks for your explanation about voltage drop. I see this is quite a complex topic and needs probably some rethinking from my side.
So after reading your input, I might consider going higher in voltage (not sure if 24V or 48V) and convert it back to 12V as suggested just before power goes to equipment.

Since I am still doing my research on panels and wind turbines, I found a very interesting topic related to solar power called "solarfower". Not sure yet how practical this could be but if someone might be interested too, here the link (http://solarflower.org/)

I will do some rethinking of the project and see what is feasable and what not, also regarding space and acceptance from my wife Smiley
But since it's a "green" project, wife is less of a problem Smiley

starmman
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 07:45:11 PM

I'm planning to use my bitcoins to pay for solar (and also solid wall insulation) - but I'm a long way off so far - I can see EGC playing a big part in that when the price gets back to where it should be
starmman
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 07:25:33 AM

Seems like the price is still dropping - I wonder who is dumping and why???

I'll take a look later to see if I can work out any patterns to the dumps.

Good to get some EGC at around the 800 range.

Another good point: The low price may also help to distribute the coin around more people - which will really increase strength in the future. A lot of people don't like to invest when most coins are in a few wallets.
Chicago

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 07:44:03 AM

A lot of people don't like to invest when most coins are in a few wallets.

Hi starmman,

When I look at the distribution on Bittrex it looks to be fairly representative of what I would imagine are in the individual stakeholders wallets.
    When I look at the Rich List on the Evergreencoin Explorer, I don't feel it is quite accurate since the largest piles haven't moved on the Rich List and they're larger by far than any on the Bittrex distribution list.

Best Regards,
-Chicago
EverGreenCoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1192

EverGreenCoin® (EGC) EverGreenCoin.org

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2017, 08:36:50 AM

Hi starmman,

When I look at the distribution on Bittrex it looks to be fairly representative of what I would imagine are in the individual stakeholders wallets.
    When I look at the Rich List on the Evergreencoin Explorer, I don't feel it is quite accurate since the largest piles haven't moved on the Rich List and they're larger by far than any on the Bittrex distribution list.

Best Regards,
-Chicago

I notice some balances I am aware of, namely the foundation's balance (251224.64230695 EGC at the time of this writing), are being misrepresented in the richlist. I have disabled the richlist until it is corrected.

starmman
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 11:23:47 AM

Hi starmman,

Best Regards,
-Chicago

I notice some balances I am aware of, namely the foundation's balance (251224.64230695 EGC at the time of this writing), are being misrepresented in the richlist. I have disabled the richlist until it is corrected.

Thanks both,

I was checking the richlist on the EGC explorer - so your explanations clarify that there may be a problem there. I was never sure if the trex distribution list was only for wallets on trex or for the entire coin - so didn't look into that so much =)
starmman
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 04:00:29 PM

Hey, just wondering - is there a way to view the number of coins minted per day? Just wanted to do some calculations - if I'm working things out correctly ,the maximum of new coins per day should be around 2500 if every wallet is being staked, would be interesting to see the actual number.
Pages: « 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 »
  Print  

Jump to: