Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 09:00:53 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... 2269 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][LSK] Lisk | Blockchain Application Platform for JavaScript Developers  (Read 3073111 times)
FNetV1

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:13:20 AM

I am interested in becoming a Lisk delegate when the network gets launched on March 21, 2016.

I would like to know what are the requirements to run a DPoS node?

I am fully qualified and have all the resources it can possibly be needed to run anything on a computer.  As a professional computer tech, I can get any hardware that I need in order to get ready for the event, but I will need to know what I will need in advance so that by March 21st I can be fully ready.

I understand that only the first 101 Delegates (or Miners -- seeing it in Bitcoin lingo) will be the ones participating so I would like to know what are the things that will significantly increase my chances of winning the vote as one of these delegates.

Are the delegates responsible for maintaining an absolute 100% (or close to) up time on the node at all times (because if so, I will have no problems complying with this).

Also, I managed to add the signature lines (on the past few days I was adding the signature manually on each post I was doing, but I eventually figured out how to do it properly from the settings).

The Delegates are choosen by the community, so even with 0 Lisk you can become a Delegate, If your in the Top 101 you need indeed uptime or you miss your block and people will eventually remove your vote,

Im going to run for delegate aswell, so Helping the communitie and show that you wanna help is a good start!

Good luck running for Delegate.

Is that true ? There is no bond required to become a delegate ?

Yes that is true, people just need to vote on you then.

But how do you prevent people from running a load of delegates then ?

By getting more votes then them thats the only way.

That doesn't actually make any sense though.
I setup 50 delegates (on the botnet i controll so all vic machines that i don't pay nothing for), come to the forum with my 50 personalities and play nice. What ya gonna do about that ?

Umm those 50 delegates you setup on your botnet are not going to have anything near a 100% uptime, and if you cannot maintain at least a 99.xxx% uptime you aren't going to get voted in.

Reason:  Botnet victims doesn't leave their PC on all the time.

But what I will be doing is that I am going to put some of those mountains of motherboard that I have laying around here hooked up with some of those hard drives that I dont use anymore I have on boxes to good use connected to my 200 port cluster of network switch, now that's what I would call at least a 100% uptime guarantee specially with my ultra reliable Verizon FiOS connection.

I have been eyeing on those $9 computers but upon reading their specs, I found out that they do not come with an Ethernet port, only with WiFi and if you are going to use WiFi you are in danger of not being able to provide a 100% uptime because WiFi is not a reliable source of connection.  Ahtough, you can hook up a Debian linux compatible USB ethernet adapter to it, but I have seen reliability in-the-long term problems with that, but its in the options.  So far using my excess motherboard with its built in Ethernet adapter sounds like a better idea.

~~Ad Space Available!  PM: FNetV1 with your offers~~
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:17:51 AM

I am interested in becoming a Lisk delegate when the network gets launched on March 21, 2016.

I am fully qualified and have all the resources it can possibly be needed to run anything on a computer.  As a professional computer tech, I can get any hardware that I need in order to get ready for the event, but I will need to know what I will need in advance so that by March 21st I can be fully ready.

I understand that only the first 101 Delegates (or Miners -- seeing it in Bitcoin lingo) will be the ones participating so I would like to know what are the things that will significantly increase my chances of winning the vote as one of these delegates.

Are the delegates responsible for maintaining an absolute 100% (or close to) up time on the node at all times (because if so, I will have no problems complying with this).

Also, I managed to add the signature lines (on the past few days I was adding the signature manually on each post I was doing, but I eventually figured out how to do it properly from the settings).

The Delegates are choosen by the community, so even with 0 Lisk you can become a Delegate, If your in the Top 101 you need indeed uptime or you miss your block and people will eventually remove your vote,

Im going to run for delegate aswell, so Helping the communitie and show that you wanna help is a good start!

I setup 50 delegates (on the botnet i controll so all vic machines that i don't pay nothing for), come to the forum with my 50 personalities and play nice. What ya gonna do about that ?

Umm those 50 delegates you setup on your botnet are not going to have anything near a 100% uptime, and if you cannot maintain at least a 99.xxx% uptime you aren't going to get voted in.

Reason:  Botnet victims doesn't leave their PC on all the time.

But what I will be doing is that I am going to put some of those mountains of motherboard that I have laying around here hooked up with some of those hard drives that I dont use anymore I have on boxes to good use connected to my 200 port cluster of network switch, now that's what I would call at least a 100% uptime guarantee specially with my ultra reliable Verizon FiOS connection.

I picked 50 because you can find 50 machines in any botnet that do have that uptime. But forget that for a second. There is no question that anyone can run a great amount of delegates and nothing stops them from it.
Not saying it will be a huge problem or anything. I'm saying it could be. I didn't think the bond was unreasonable so I was suprised it's gone.

FNetV1

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:19:08 AM

If I understand correctly, the more participants in the ICO, the less coins each investor will get.  Then why are you hyping the ICO ?

To get the word out that even while investors get fewer coins as others join our community, those fewer coins become worth more to protect and preserve the value of their investment.

Hey!  I think I came up with another elevator pitch for the Lisk ICO!

I am hyping the ICO because the more donors Lisk has, the more code development funds will exist to make a great project even better.

What's not to be excited about in "Lisk = 100,000 Javascript programmers writing personal blockchain dapps that run on their own cooperative network of $9 CHIP computers" ?

Who wouldn't want to get in on the ground floor of something as revolutionary as THAT?

News Flash: The average Joe doesn't know WTF is Javascript, Personal blockchain Dapps, cooperative network, nor how to use a $9 chip computer.

So... cool it down a bit with your non-sense elevator bitches.

The average Joe doesn't know WTF btc is either.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

We dont need them to know what a btc is, all what we need them to know is to buy enough BTC's for them to get their next ****s fix at one of those .onion websites... Just kidding Cheesy

FNetV1

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:23:29 AM

I am fully qualified and have all the resources it can possibly be needed to run anything on a computer.  As a professional computer tech, I can get any hardware that I need in order to get ready for the event, but I will need to know what I will need in advance so that by March 21st I can be fully ready.

I picked 50 because you can find 50 machines in any botnet that do have that uptime. But forget that for a second. There is no question that anyone can run a great amount of delegates and nothing stops them from it.
Not saying it will be a huge problem or anything. I'm saying it could be. I didn't think the bond was unreasonable so I was suprised it's gone.

Yeah, I am glad that there isn't any bond this time.  I was just doing research on Cripti and over there there was an over 10,000 CXI [I may have gotten their currency symbol wrong, dont have time to check I am in a rush], that you had to bond in order to quality to become a delegate candicate.  But with 0 Lisk I can very well become the sole delegate for all those 101 deletages, all 101 delegates under the same IP address under a 100% uptime guarantee, each earning over $55 worth of crypto [per month], NICE!

CryptoMaik

Activity: 594
Merit: 500

Blockchain entrepreneur✔

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:23:59 AM

Why botnets? We can setup easy 25 - 50 different servers, different IP and different datacenter locations, with no problem in 24 hours...
And we can control, if we really want, al 101 delegates.

How can you prevent this dev, we need 0 coins per delegates?

CryptoMaik ✔
FNetV1

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:43:36 AM

Why botnets? We can setup easy 25 - 50 different servers, different IP and different datacenter locations, with no problem in 24 hours...

Renting multiple dedicated servers to run a DPoS on each one of them could be a bad idea.

Keep in mind that dev said monthly USD $ recompense would be roughly the equivalent of $55 per delegate within the top 101 delegates and the cheapest dedicated server runs for around $55.  Say you don't need cPanel, WHM  and Fantastico and instead you setup with webmin or ubuntu server fine you bring the dedicated server price down to like $30, so... This means you will be paying $30 per sever to make $55 that's just a $15 profit and god forbid that some of your servers doest get the vote, well you will be using the profits that you gained from the voted in servers to help pay for the servers that didn't get vored in thus sitting there doing nothing.

Overall, not a good idea to rent dedicated servers for this purpose. 

patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:02:49 AM

Renting multiple dedicated servers to run a DPoS on each one of them could be a bad idea.

Keep in mind that dev said monthly USD $ recompense would be roughly the equivalent of $55 per delegate within the top 101 delegates and the cheapest dedicated server runs for around $55.  Say you don't need cPanel, WHM  and Fantastico and instead you setup with webmin or ubuntu server fine you bring the dedicated server price down to like $30, so... This means you will be paying $30 per sever to make $55 that's just a $15 profit and god forbid that some of your servers doest get the vote, well you will be using the profits that you gained from the voted in servers to help pay for the servers that didn't get vored in thus sitting there doing nothing.

There are way cheaper options than 30$ for decently performant servers but what you're forgetting is that one could potentially controll the network and then he has a profit of whatever he wants.

MalReynolds
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:17:11 AM

I have been eyeing on those $9 computers but upon reading their specs, I found out that they do not come with an Ethernet port, only with WiFi and if you are going to use WiFi you are in danger of not being able to provide a 100% uptime because WiFi is not a reliable source of connection.  Ahtough, you can hook up a Debian linux compatible USB ethernet adapter to it, but I have seen reliability in-the-long term problems with that, but its in the options.  So far using my excess motherboard with its built in Ethernet adapter sounds like a better idea.

Or a $35 Raspberry Pi 2, which DOES have an Ethernet port.

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Model-Project-Board/dp/B00T2U7R7I
MalReynolds
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:19:39 AM

Keep in mind that dev said monthly USD $ recompense would be roughly the equivalent of $55 per delegate within the top 101 delegates and the cheapest dedicated server runs for around $55.

I've run a Crypti node for months at Vultr on their bottom-of-the-line $5 per month server.

https://www.vultr.com/pricing/

Max / LiskHQ is coming up with a Delegate Handbook that explains that process for Lisk; ask him for details.   

In the meantime, you could read these tutorials on how to install the Crypti software; Lisk will be similar:

https://github.com/crypti/crypti-docs/blob/master/BinaryInstall.md

https://github.com/crypti/crypti-docs/blob/master/SourceInstall.md
MalReynolds
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:31:11 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2016, 11:42:34 AM by MalReynolds

So... cool it down a bit with your non-sense elevator bitches.

Sigh.  I wish, sounds like fun.  But my wife would kill me, and I'm very fond of her.  I kinda want to stay in her good graces...
johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:45:55 AM

so how is sale going ?
niki25
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:47:55 AM

Bought some lisk, waiting launch to see if its worth  Smiley
Vega

Activity: 739

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:57:05 AM

I have to say I'm pretty suprised how successful this ICO is.
This is some nice money, that you can use to build a community and make real progress.

Of course I've been sitting on a few million Crypti since 2014 thinking the same thing. That ICO money went somewhere, presumably mainly for developer salaries.
All things considered I'm happy that you decided to fork, crypti devs "mission accomplished" attitude pissed me off.

I'm interested how you are planning to spend the funds. I'm sure planning this out will take time, so not asking for specifics, but really don't want to see history repeat itself and see Lisk die after bulk of the ICO money spend on salaries. Pay yourself for the job, and pay well, but your real reward should come if and when Lisk becomes successful.
ArpFlush

Activity: 623

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:02:43 PM

The average Joe doesn't know WTF btc is either.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Aand..the average Joe doesn't need to know what Javascript is, they'll just use the front-end.

"Panic Selling is not an Investment Strategy"
CryptoMaik

Activity: 594

Blockchain entrepreneur✔

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:09:35 PM

Bought some lisk, waiting launch to see if its worth  Smiley
The best is to buy again after launch when ICO buyers dump their coins.
Usually you see that the price value 24 hours after launch sinks/drops below ICO price and then "slowly" rises again.

I suggest to buy more in the 24 / 48 hours after launch.

CryptoMaik ✔
operabit
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:11:47 PM

More than 1000 BTC Wink
rtrtcrypto

Activity: 627

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:22:27 PM

I agree with patmast3r,

This makes no technical sense, just seems like another technical idea that the LISK team changed on a whim from XCR (which already suffered from possible centralization and single point of failure problems in the future)... DPoS is already susceptible to delegate takeover WITH a bond.

WITHOUT it? If LISK were to become valuable the network would immediately be attacked and it would be very hard to show that power was not fully centralized in the hands of very few entities. This works when these projects are small (like XCR team running most delegates), but under a successful scenario this would be a huge problem.

At this stage then, there is no disincentive to NOT attack/control the network? In a future where this thing is possibly gigantic, I would have to risk a few thousand dollars a month to control the entire network - this is not a huge issue?

I am fully qualified and have all the resources it can possibly be needed to run anything on a computer.  As a professional computer tech, I can get any hardware that I need in order to get ready for the event, but I will need to know what I will need in advance so that by March 21st I can be fully ready.

LiskHQ (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 509

Decentralized Application Platform

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 12:33:47 PM

I want to send more btc for Ico. I did it during first hours.
Can I simply add them, or the account used for the first day has not to be used anymore?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1346646.msg13991413#msg13991413

and

https://blog.lisk.io/guide-how-to-participate-in-the-lisk-ico-c928aea65eb3

You need to create a "New Exchange" for every transaction, but you can stay on the same account. Smiley

Simply register a delegate account for 100 LISK and collect enough votes by everyone.

Where to find more information for setting up Lisk delegate?

Before the Lisk main network will launch, we will write a Delegate Handbook in which you can find ALL necessary information. Additionally, in the first week there won't exist Forging Rewards in order to give everyone the chance to setup their own delegate. And to prevent that we get all the LISK in the beginning. Smiley

No, simply register a delegate for 100 LISK.

If there are let's say 400 delegates and everyone wants to become an active delegate in order to get the forging rewards. Then you won't have the chance to get 50 delegates into the top 101. You would have to pay very nice to be able to do this.

If we would have a "bond" it wouldn't stop one person from having several delegates. The bond would just make it a bit harder for him.

Please note, someone said Crypti had a "bond". But that isn't the case.

so how is sale going ?

Very good! Smiley Thanks.

I'm interested how you are planning to spend the funds. I'm sure planning this out will take time, so not asking for specifics, but really don't want to see history repeat itself and see Lisk die after bulk of the ICO money spend on salaries. Pay yourself for the job, and pay well, but your real reward should come if and when Lisk becomes successful.

We will start planning that in the second week of the ICO. Right now we have far too many inquires to handle.

But I can say you the following. We will make it different this time. We will pay for conferences, meetups, promotions, press releases, seed funds, salaries and more. Not only for salaries. We will go out into the real world.  Smiley

I agree with patmast3r,

This makes no technical sense, just seems like another technical idea that the LISK team changed on a whim from XCR (which already suffered from possible centralization and single point of failure problems in the future)... DPoS is already susceptible to delegate takeover WITH a bond.

WITHOUT it? If LISK were to become valuable the network would immediately be attacked and it would be very hard to show that power was not fully centralized in the hands of very few entities. This works when these projects are small (like XCR team running most delegates), but under a successful scenario this would be a huge problem.

At this stage then, there is no disincentive to NOT attack/control the network? In a future where this thing is possibly gigantic, I would have to risk a few thousand dollars a month to control the entire network - this is not a huge issue?

Where do you agree? About what? There were no requirements at Crypti to become a delegate. Only pay 100 XCR and get enough votes.

Lisk.io - Blockchain Application Platform
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:38:48 PM

So basicly if u invest now u know 100% your gonna make money

How did you come to that conclusion?

Are you one of Warren Buffet's advisors?

I came to that conclusion because of this page:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q2MJ25_bK5Yi60FYohYCUEkujUtL5c0P1dOdlDMPMBI/edit#gid=1360974801

If u check the price it says, the price for 1 lisk will be 1397 satoshi.

And the early investors are buying 1 lisk for 1300 satoshi, and the coin has only been released 2 days.

sussex

Activity: 658

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:45:45 PM

If u check the price it says, the price for 1 lisk will be 1397 satoshi.

And the early investors are buying 1 lisk for 1300 satoshi, and the coin has only been released 2 days.

The price of Lisk and the amount of coins given to each individual participant will change as the ICO progresses and more people buy into it.

You're also assuming that the price will stay the same or rise after Lisk hits the exchanges.... which isn't a foregone conclusion.
Pages: « 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... 2269 »
  Print  

Jump to: