Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:30:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bryan Micon's Butterfly Labs Scammer Investigation including Josh Zerlan  (Read 100026 times)
Lgetty17

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:54:49 PM

They're incorporated in Wyoming...
1)Look up laws entailing fraud in Wyoming..
2)File uit
3)HuhHuh
4)PROFIT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gbx

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:04:13 PM

well this trainwreck is starting to get interesting.  they're shipping boxes now.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1042

👻

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:34:45 AM

Please join me in this round of forum advertising auction - make sure BFL does not get a slot.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 05:00:34 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=197050.0
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:12:08 PM

Please join me in this round of forum advertising auction - make sure BFL does not get a slot.

Nice idea.

I did it for a few weeks until Theymos rejected my ad and banned me from advertising on the site because I insisted he refund my payment when he wouldn't post the text I wanted.  'BFL - Bare Faced Liars'
Tabaza

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 09:53:31 PM

has anyone received any hardware from Butterfly Labs yet? or it is really a scam?

i wonder why this thread  stopped on May!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 09:59:59 PM

has anyone received any hardware from Butterfly Labs yet? or it is really a scam?

i wonder why this thread  stopped on May!
Because many people received hardware from Butterfly Labs.

Only a small dent in the vast sea of preorders, but people are getting their units finally.
Tabaza

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:32:05 PM

do you advice me to order, taking into consideration the delivery is 100 days, and hash difficulty is changing every 2 weeks as per what i heard from a friend.

is it worthy? going to 50GHs/60GHs?

i need your advices for a beginner.

MooC Tals

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:57:53 PM

do you advice me to order, taking into consideration the delivery is 100 days, and hash difficulty is changing every 2 weeks as per what i heard from a friend.

1) Do you feel that bitcoin will increase in price?
2) Do you know the % of increase in difficulty over time?
3) Do you know how many asics are out there now and in the near future?
4) Have you made calculation according to #2 with projected difficulty now and for future increases.
5) Are you sure that you will receive your miner in 100 days.

After you can answer all those honestly to your self then you will have your answer.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:05:45 PM

With the recent dip in Bitcoin price, I'm not sure that I would.  Difficulty is shooting up while price is going down, which means profitability has the potential to not be profitable.
Tabaza

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:09:44 PM

thanks for the feedback, my last question is:

is there a feedback from people who received their units? is mining using them is working as promised? is the speed as promised?
do they get bitcoins according to the current difficulty?

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:12:46 PM

thanks for the feedback, my last question is:

is there a feedback from people who received their units? is mining using them is working as promised? is the speed as promised?
do they get bitcoins according to the current difficulty?

Yes, there's a lot of feedback on that.  Many people have posted pictures, videos, reviews, etc describing their new miners.  They perform as promised (well, with the exception of sucking up a lot more electricity than originally advertised in 2011).  The speed is usually better than promised, and Bitcoins are mined normally, just like any other device running at the same speed.

Look in the Custom Hardware section of this forum, or browse around on Butterfly Labs' forum to find some of these feedback posts.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:47:29 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Micon's earned a lot of credibility with me.

He was the main voice on this forum calling pirate a scam, and he's right about BFL too.

Don't be surprised if these guys run off with a bunch of people's money, then play the blame game.

I'm grumpy!!
BBazaar

Activity: 34

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 05:48:48 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Micon's earned a lot of credibility with me.

He was the main voice on this forum calling pirate a scam, and he's right about BFL too.

Don't be surprised if these guys run off with a bunch of people's money, then play the blame game.

I have to agree.  I just found this thread.  I for one feel no trust in Butterfly.  Most of the community is probably starting to realize that not only is Buttefly making very little measurable progress shipping units, they are refusing refunds and being exceptionally derogatory to customers.  That's just not the way any reputable vendor does business.

Micon, if you hit this one right you seriously have credence in my book.  If anyone else wants to judge Josh and his actions, take a look at some of the posts he makes in the Newbie forums under Butterfly Huge Scam thread.  Just unreal.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 06:07:58 PM

I have to agree.  I just found this thread.  I for one feel no trust in Butterfly.  Most of the community is probably starting to realize that not only is Buttefly making very little measurable progress shipping units, they are refusing refunds and being exceptionally derogatory to customers.  That's just not the way any reputable vendor does business.

Micon, if you hit this one right you seriously have credence in my book.  If anyone else wants to judge Josh and his actions, take a look at some of the posts he makes in the Newbie forums under Butterfly Huge Scam thread.  Just unreal.

A legitimate business has a reputation to defend, which is why a legitimate business wouldn't hire a freak like Josh to insult its customers.  A scam, though, might hire a professional troll to disrupt discussions of its misdoings by making outrageous posts.  The hope would be to distract from the real discussion onto whatever crazy thing the troll said.

Of course, it takes a special kind of stupid to make that trolling an official part of your business.
MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 10:12:55 PM

He was the main voice on this forum calling pirate a scam

You are very much confused.

April 17th, 2012:
I would be more interested in how many reserves the "trust" still has. E.g. what would happen if the 10 biggest accounts cash out at the same time. Right now.

This.

Scenario.

I. Buy, borrow or steal 1k btc.

II. Open Krakken Bank of Bitcoin, October 1st (as we all know krakken eat pirates). Offer 7% per week to investors. At this point it makes sense strategically to open it only to "selected" investors - most everybody isn't interested anyway so you gain some "mystique" that costs nothing.

III. 1st of November. Collected a few hundred in principal, paid maybe 10-20 BTCs from your 1k. BuKK stands at a few hundred btc invested + the goodwill of paid investors, you stand at ~980 BTC.

IV. 1st of December. Collected about 1k BTC in principal, paid ~200 BTC from your 1k. BuKK stands at 1k invested, buzz is starting to fly. You're ~750 BTC.

V. 1st of January. Collected 2-3k BTC, paid pretty much the remainder of your original balance. Start making little noises here and there about how you "own" the bitcoin market and delicately suggest to people that your moves actually have any impact (a ludicrous concept, but it served the bankers of old fiat well).

VI. 1st of February. Things start to balloon from here. BuKK principal is easily over 10k BTC, growth rates in the 10 to 20% range each week. Replenish your original 1k with some fringe just in case, pay the suckers their "interest" from the growth rate like any serious pirate/krakken/anything else designed-to-fail ponzi scheme. Do a lot of mouthing about imaginary investment opportunities irl or at the irl/btc interface that somehow magically net you what no business in the ~1000 years of business history ever made and each hyip in the ~10000 years of hyip history always claimed.

Huh

VII. Fail. A well, certainly not the first time, certainly not the last time, it's a pity to let a sucker keep its bitcoin and all that. Not like any lessons are liable to be learned or anything of the sort.

What's that, June? September? May? Heck, with a little luck it might even survive till the reward halving.

Also April 17th:
In 2010, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) warned that "[t]he con artists behind HYIPs are experts at using social media — including YouTube, Twitter and Facebook — to lure investors and create the illusion of social consensus that these investments are legitimate."
[...]
Some HYIP operators opened their own digital currency companies that eventually folded; these companies include Standard Reserve, OSGold, INTGold, EvoCash, and V-Money.
[...]
The largest documented HYIP scam was OSGold, founded as an e-gold imitation in 2001 by David Reed. OSGold folded in 2002. According to a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in early 2005, the operators of OSGold may have made off with USD $250 million. CNet reported that "at the height of its popularity, the OSGold currency boasted more than 60,000 accounts created by people drawn to promises of "high yield" investments that would provide guaranteed monthly returns of 30 percent to 45 percent."
[...]
The second largest documented HYIP was PIPS (People in Profit System or Pure Investors). The investment scheme was started by Bryan Marsden in early 2004 and spanned more than 20 countries. PIPS was investigated by Bank Negara Malaysia in 2005 which resulted in Marsden and his wife being charged in a Malaysian court with 97 counts of money laundering more than 77 million RM, equivalent to $20 million. Even after these charges were brought forth, many of Marsden's followers and investors continued to support him and believe they would see their money in the future.

There is no 7% a week. Deal with it.

You're late.

A legitimate business has a reputation to defend, which is why a legitimate business wouldn't hire a freak like Josh to insult its customers.  A scam, though, might hire a professional troll to disrupt discussions of its misdoings by making outrageous posts.  The hope would be to distract from the real discussion onto whatever crazy thing the troll said.

Of course, it takes a special kind of stupid to make that trolling an official part of your business.

This all depends. No legitimate business defends itself or its reputation from the onslaught of idiots, it's much cheaper and much more effectual to just call them idiots and let them be. Consider the numerous early threads about me "pedaling" and whatnot. So in this strategic sense BFL did the right thing.

The fact that they're rather competent doesn't mean they're not scammers, however, it just means they're competent scammers (which we, as well as the US Penitentiary System already know).

The fact that you ascribe stupidity, incompetence and "all the bad things" to some entity that has hurt you by taking advantage of your manifest, marauding stupidity and then proceed to disregard both fact and reason in a ridiculous attempt to "prove" the nonsense through some painful contortions is nothing more than proof of the same thing: you're fucking dumb, and that's what dumb people do. It's not however how thinking works, and if you're wondering that's why I get to call you stupid to your face, put it in writing, sign it and get away with it: because you actually are.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 11:46:57 PM

The fact that you ascribe stupidity, incompetence and "all the bad things" to some entity that has hurt you by taking advantage of your manifest, marauding stupidity and then proceed to disregard both fact and reason in a ridiculous attempt to "prove" the nonsense through some painful contortions is nothing more than proof of the same thing: you're fucking dumb, and that's what dumb people do. It's not however how thinking works, and if you're wondering that's why I get to call you stupid to your face, put it in writing, sign it and get away with it: because you actually are.

WTF are you on about, you spastic?  How has BFL "taken advantage" of me in any way?

I haven't been stupid enough to give them a dime.

Feel free to bother someone else with your wacko delusions, scumbag.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 03:04:56 AM

He was the main voice on this forum calling pirate a scam

You are very much confused.

Well, he started a pretty long thread about pirate here a year ago:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94900

Kinda funny reading through that thread now and reading the posts defending pirate. Might be a good reference for those still holding out hope that BFL will deliver their ASIC miner.

I'm grumpy!!
MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 06:41:04 AM

Well, he started a pretty long thread about pirate here a year ago:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94900

Kinda funny reading through that thread now and reading the posts defending pirate. Might be a good reference for those still holding out hope that BFL will deliver their ASIC miner.

Sure, nobody's saying Micon hasn't been fighting the good fight, he's for instance called out Patrick Harnett first, MP closed the deal on that one. I called out Pirate and Vandroyi closed the deal on that one. I hope I'm not offending anyone in particular if I say a bunch of people called out BFL over the many, many months that scam's been gouging noobs.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1042

👻

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 10:01:36 AM

They already did a redesign, they probably can't afford another.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: