Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:03:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 153 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum: Good alt or stay away?  (Read 80108 times)
darety1

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 08:20:32 AM

Ethereum is a good altcoin because is the most popular after bitcoin. I think is a perspective coin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LandOwner

Activity: 60

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 04:58:44 PM

Ethereum is a good altcoin because is the most popular after bitcoin. I think is a perspective coin.

The problem with the Etheruem is that it is forking too many times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/57qnpz/48_hours_til_order_is_restored/?st=iucvlvas&sh=f11f7691

48 hours til order is restored. self.ethereum
Submitted 8 hours ago by nugget_alex
What a roller coaster ride 2016 has been for the Ethereum community. We have experienced more in the last 5 months than bitcoin has in 5 years, and that has made us stronger. Each day I look forward to reading contributions from the devs and other smart minds on this thread. You guys really deserve a breather and for your sake I hope everything works out nicely over the next 48 hours and the network is back in full swing. So excited to see what the future of ETH brings! Cheers, Nug Smiley
bit1
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 06:28:20 PM

Uhmmmm, Considering most popular=high volume, Certainly ETH has been most popular only after BTC, But nothing is forever, as you probably  know LTC took his place as the most popular for a long time ago and it is now top 4, We see how long remains ETH as the second most popular.
Techray

Activity: 29

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 05:25:30 PM

Uhmmmm, Considering most popular=high volume, Certainly ETH has been most popular only after BTC, But nothing is forever, as you probably  know LTC took his place as the most popular for a long time ago and it is now top 4, We see how long remains ETH as the second most popular.

The Etheruem still has quite active developr team. It also has good community support. It might stay there for some time.
gandame

Activity: 924
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 08:49:23 PM

Ethereum is good altcoin this coins is also a strong coins like bitcoin and its popular so dont be afraid to invest your bitcoin here because ethereum have many project and have many coins affiliate in ethereum so this is a good altcoins.
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 08:52:57 PM

I'd stay away from it. I personally prefer Monero and Bitcoin. I don't have much to say about Monero but Bitcoin will be the one I'll trust forever. Don't trust any other alts, you never know when you can get scammed. Just saying.
torrentheaven

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 10:19:03 PM

Ethereum is good altcoin this coins is also a strong coins like bitcoin and its popular so dont be afraid to invest your bitcoin here because ethereum have many project and have many coins affiliate in ethereum so this is a good altcoins.

That's right we can afford to have faith in it and invest our money into it as it exist since long time and it will not disappear easily in future and if we hold it bit longer then it can give us some good profits in coming period.
dearbesz1219

Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 03:39:41 AM

Hi everyone, I've been around for a while now.. 
I've seen a lot of posts positive and negative about Ethereum.

At the moment I am holding Bitcoins, but I have invested in some Ether as well.

Now I am wondering, what are legitimate concerns about Ether (except for IPO, as I've already read this in a lot of posts).

So can anyone bring real other issues to the table, to enlighten me (and maybe a lot of other readers?)

Thanks!

In every altcoin in crypto currency there is always an issue or different feedback in the member in this forum, whether positive or negative comments. in regardless of ETH I cannot say if this alt is bad because it established big community here in bitcoin world,. meaning it has a good side of it.
samasas

Activity: 55

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 07:55:42 AM

I'd stay away from it. I personally prefer Monero and Bitcoin. I don't have much to say about Monero but Bitcoin will be the one I'll trust forever. Don't trust any other alts, you never know when you can get scammed. Just saying.

It forks all the time.

https://blog.ethereum.org/2016/10/13/announcement-imminent-hard-fork-eip150-gas-cost-changes/

During the last couple of weeks, the Ethereum network has been the target of a sustained attack. The attacker(s) have been very crafty in locating vulnerabilities in the client implementations as well as the protocol specification.

While the recent patches have led to an overall increased resiliency in the client implementations, the attacks have also demonstrated that a lower-level change to the EVM pricing model is needed.

For many users, the most visible consequence is probably that they are having difficulties getting transactions included in blocks, and full nodes are facing memory limitations in managing the bloated state.

This is our strategy to address these issues:

As a temporary measure to minimize the effects of the most recent attack, we recommend all miners to lower the gaslimit to 500K gas.
A hard-fork based on EIP 150 version 1c will be put into effect at block 2457000 [see below]. This will reprice certain operations to correspond better to the underlying computational complexity.
A second hard-fork will follow shortly after, aimed at reverting the current “state-bloat” introduced by the attacks. This second fork will serve to remove accounts which are empty; lacking code, balance, storage and nonce == 0.
We have implemented the changes required in the clients and are currently extending and adding tests in an effort to prevent the introduction of consensus-breaking vulnerabilities.

And as a reminder, the Ethereum Bug Bounty is open and includes the new hardfork-implementations.

EDIT: Fork block has been moved to 2463000 in order to accommodate even more testing.
Utrine

Activity: 53

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 04:47:04 PM

The fork has finished.

https://www.bokconsulting.com.au/blog/ethereum-gas-reprice-hard-fork-was-a-success/

Ethereum Gas Reprice Hard Fork Was A Success
Posted on October 19, 2016 by bok
Originally posted Oct 19 2016, updated 14:26 Oct 19 2016 UTC.

Summary

The Gas Reprice hard fork successfully stopped all the previous attacks since the start of Devcon2.

Update 14:26 Oct 19 2016 – The attacker is now conducting a new set of smaller impact attacks using another an underpriced EXP opcode and a BALANCE operation that need some cache improvements – see the updated section at the bottom of this page to see the impact on the block processing. The next planned hard fork will address these new attack vectors – see ATTENTION MINERS: Recommending miners lower the gas limit target to 2 million. What a dynamic and responsive Ethereum ecosystem this is!

The Attacks

The Ethereum blockchain has been undergoing a attack since the start of the Devcon2 conference a few weeks ago (beginning Sep 19 2016).

The first attack started on block 2,283,416 at 01:04:56 Sep 19 Shanghai time and targeted the go-ethereum geth clients, causing a memory error and shutting down these nodes across the network. Luckily the Ethereum network has separately implemented node clients written in Rust (Parity) and Java (EthereumJ) – these clients did not suffer from the same memory bug and kept the network up and running. The Ethereum developers in Shanghai had to get up early before the start of the conference and shortly after released a version of geth with the memory bug fixed. This ended up delaying the start of the conference by half an hour.

My 125 Mhs solo miner stopped working for the week while I was in Shanghai as I had not set up a VPN connection to my node due to security reasons.

Soon after the first attack, the attacker then regularly sent spam transactions (see here and here) to slow down the Ethereum network. Using cheaply priced opcodes (Ethereum Virtual Machine instruction codes), the attacker sent transactions that caused heavy computational and disk input/output loads on the Ethereum nodes. This was later followed by spam transactions that created many empty accounts on the blockchain, causing a “state-bloat” on the blockchain.

Worst affected users seem to be those trying to run a full sync of the Ethereum blockchain on machines with limited memory and running on a hard disk drive (HDD) instead of a solid state drive (SSD). See Is something wrong with the network right now?, sync isn’t working for 0.8.5 been trying for days and 5th time downloading Blockchain 15 days for example.

Non-spam transactions were failing as quite a number of mining pools decided not to process transactions as these would slow down their mining node operations, and the non-spam transactions were getting lost in the ether.

The Hard Forks

The Ethereum Foundation announced two hard forks to stop the spam transaction attacks. As listed in the previous link, you have to install the latest Ethereum node clients containing the hard fork code – geth 1.4.18, Parity 1.3.8, EthereumJ 1.3.6 and Ethereum Wallet 0.8.6 (remember never to trust links to the node clients from unofficial sites). If you have run an earlier version of the node client after the first Gas Repricing hard fork (see below), you will have to re-sync your blockchain data from scratch.

The First Hard Fork – Gas Repricing

The first EIP 150 Long-term gas cost changes for IO-heavy operations to mitigate transaction spam attacks hard fork successfully activated at block 2,463,000 at Oct-18-2016 01:19:31 PM +UTC to reprice the gas for some of the opcodes. This raises the cost for the attacker to send their spam transactions.

The Attacks Have Stopped

The attackers transactions started failing (source) immediately after the hard fork. This account spend 9 – 3.899521491 = 5.100478509 ethers (~ USD 64.10) to send 1,183 spam transactions to the network.

The Gas Limit

The gasLimit represents the total amount of gas for the computation and storage that can be spent within each block (14 seconds average block time). This gasLimit is a figure that is voted on by the miners.
gijoes

Activity: 499

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 08:32:26 PM

Ethereum hard fork did NOT help: attacks just keep coming.

http://www.coindesk.com/ethereum-forks-blockchain-attacks-keep-coming/

🔒 SafeCrypt.io  █████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
Kolamider

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 05:05:26 PM

Ethereum hard fork did NOT help: attacks just keep coming.

http://www.coindesk.com/ethereum-forks-blockchain-attacks-keep-coming/

Between a block and a hard place?

While ethereum's latest hard fork went according to plan yesterday (so far without any drastic side effects), attacks on its blockchain quickly began anew.

In this case, ethereum executed a hard fork on Tuesday in a bid to stop denial of service (DoS) attacks that have been ongoing for about a month. Following weeks of transaction and block creation issues, the platform's developers determined that the best way to fix the issue was to reprice certain network functions, and users and miners responded by quickly upgrading their software (a process known as a 'hard fork').

The stable transition to a new transaction record was what many in ethereum team arguably had expected, since the fork was a technical change (unlike the contentious move to rewrite the network's ledger after the hack of The DAO).

However, the attacker appears to have switched gears, taking advantage of security holes that weren't expected to be patched until later.

Developers are currently working on new fixes, according to Ethereum Foundation IT consultant Hudson Jameson, who told CoinDesk:

"We are working on client updates to help mitigate the issues somewhat until the second hard fork happens."

Not yet thwarted

But this new wave of attacks has led to new problems, though they were (to an extent) forseen.

From the start, ethereum developers had planned two hard forks, as the attacker had been taking advantage of a variety of attack vectors. The first aimed to increase the price of certain opcodes that the attacker was successfully abusing to make it harder for him or her to slow down the network. The second hard fork was expected to remove empty accounts the attacker created to bloat the blockchain.

Still, with the second fork yet to be executed, short-term problems have emerged.

In response to the most recent attacks, the Ethereum Foundation issued a recommendation to miners, advising them to lower the gas limit (thus limiting how many transactions can be carried out) before a second fork. At the time of press, cryptocurrency exchange ShapeShift has also paused the trading of ether (again).

Ethereum creator Vitalik Buterin suggested he believes the two attacks can be thwarted with the second technical upgrade. "A successful hard fork round two would resolve this for the short and medium term as it would make the state possible to put in memory again," he explained.

The problem, Jameson said, is that the blockchain state has grown too big, and the attacker is taking advantage of that.

"The [second] hard fork will shrink the size of the blockchain state and disallow a specific attack that is being utilized to activate the empty accounts over and over again," he explained.

One less severe attack, which increases processing times to an estimated one to three seconds, takes advantage of another mispriced opcode.

Johnson and Buterin claimed that the plan is to raise the price in the second hard fork.

Conditions ahead

Even after the second hard fork, however, it's unclear what will happen or whether it will prevent attackers from finding other vectors.

Around these attacks there have been wider conversations about how (and whether) ethereum can stop these sorts of attacks in the short term or long term.

Many argue that the attacks are an inevitable result of the way ethereum is designed. (More on-platform capabilities mean that ethereum has a larger attack surface than other blockchain networks).

The new attacks prompted BitGo engineer Jameson Lopp to wonder "how many hard forks it will take to plug all the holes".

And some observers are questioning whether developers are taking enough care before making changes to the network.

"The real story behind this attack and the hardforks is that they are not really testing well," said IBM blockchain leader of the Latin American division Martin Hagelstrom. "Even when the devs talk about these issues it does not sound like they are aware that their network has $1bn in it."

But others remain optimistic about ethereum's future, especially since there haven't appeared to be any serious problems so far as a result of the fork.

Even if the attacker isn't thwarted this time, to some this only furthers idea that hard forks are an option for combating them, and that each hurdle that ethereum jumps brings it closer to a working platform.

Marco Streng, CEO of hosted ethereum mining firm, Genesis Mining, indicated he remains impressed by the network's response to the pressures it has faced in recent months.

Streng concluded:

"It sets a clear sign ethereum will go out of this stronger than before."
Legendaris

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 12:16:41 AM

Etherium current price of getting up, I think this will be something very good for the future. ETH can be bitcoin to 2 which has the same popularity. ETH is second my cryptocurrency after bitcoin, until now I have about 150 ETH
hawkins

Activity: 1204

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 12:40:53 PM

Etherium current price of getting up, I think this will be something very good for the future. ETH can be bitcoin to 2 which has the same popularity. ETH is second my cryptocurrency after bitcoin, until now I have about 150 ETH
Well, ETH will definitely be a good investment. eth most likely will be above all altcoin, and probably will be the closest to bitcoin. yah, etc is very good to be used as a trade coin, other than that you can help it, because most likely eth will also have a high price in the future
kanazawa

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 06:46:51 PM

I don't understand why people want to see a coin skyrocketing or been stable in the first year and in the early life, Bitcoin "born" in 2009 and it was a kick in the balls in the beggining. But for the reason of being such new concept and for the reason of it small number of people knowing any kind of digital currency it wad a hard adaptation. Now Ethereum has lotta great and new stuffs to integrate, but the vast part of the community don't really understand the concepts at all (the same with Bitcoin) many of these people chat only about problem, not about constructibe criticts. So it's hard. But ETH is reaaaaalllly amazing.

]░░░░░░▄▄███████████▄▄
░░░░▄███▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██▄
░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
░░███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
██░█░░░░░░░█▀▀▀█░░░░░░░░░█░██
█▌░█░░░░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░░█░▐█
█▌░░█░░░░░░██▀▀▀░░░░░░░░█░░▐█
█▌░▄▄░░░░░░█░█░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▐█
███▀░░░░░░░█░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░▀███
██▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██
░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
░░░░▀██▄▄█▄░░░░░░░▄█▄▄██▀
░░░░░░░▀▀███████████▀▀

]░░░░░░▄▄███████████▄▄
░░░░▄███▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██▄
░░███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
██░█░░░░░░░█▀▀▀█░░░░░░░░░█░██
█▌░█░░░░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░░█░▐█
█▌░░█░░░░░░██▀▀▀░░░░░░░░█░░▐█
█▌░▄▄░░░░░░█░█░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▐█
███▀░░░░░░░█░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░▀███
██▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██
░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
░░░░▀██▄▄█▄░░░░░░░▄█▄▄██▀
░░░░░░░▀▀███████████▀▀

Kolamider

Activity: 130

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 08:26:34 AM

Well, ETH will definitely be a good investment. eth most likely will be above all altcoin, and probably will be the closest to bitcoin. yah, etc is very good to be used as a trade coin, other than that you can help it, because most likely eth will also have a high price in the future

The ETH has very big community support. So it might be the top of all the altcoins. But it is difficult for it to replace bitcoin.
Wewisk

Activity: 13

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 09:55:25 AM

The ETH has very big community support. So it might be the top of all the altcoins. But it is difficult for it to replace bitcoin.

That is right. The Ethereum is just a fuel for a smart contract system. The bitcoin is the universal currency.
Cryptotraider16

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

http://www.leocoinapp.com/

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2016, 10:56:11 AM

No one will give you good advice.
But mine advice - Keep amount you can easily lose, this market is overvalued for now Wink

real good honest advice!

http://www.leocoin.info - LEOcoin info App!
LEOcoin - traded on 8 exchanges! more coming - Solo POS coin!
ayesha sadiqa

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 11:45:46 AM

no doutbt that Ethereum is a good alt, you should invest here and it will really give you good profit, although its price is stable for last few days and i think that the reason is that people are holding bitcoin and not going to invest it any where as they are expecting that the price of bitcoin is going to increase in next few months.
john2231

Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 12:15:52 PM

no doutbt that Ethereum is a good alt, you should invest here and it will really give you good profit, although its price is stable for last few days and i think that the reason is that people are holding bitcoin and not going to invest it any where as they are expecting that the price of bitcoin is going to increase in next few months.
Yeah ether still good to choose altcoin since its a 2nd from the top cryptocurrency from coinmarketcap
But it is not good to buy right now because the price of ether right now is high .. and i think it is better to wait more days or weeks if the price will goes down..
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 153 »
  Print  

Jump to: