Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:12:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple or Bitcoin  (Read 34061 times)
nameface

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:41:04 AM

It's a hybrid of centralization and decentralization:

Redemption of gateway balances: centralized, possibility of default
Transfer of gateway balances between third parties: decentralized, cryptographically secure

Overall doesn't Ripple look more like a hybrid of decentralized and distributed?

However, it can have a significant affect on people who use gateways as a store of value. For that, you really want gateways that are insured. This is a great application for Bitcoins, IMO.

I see Bitcoin as the store of value of the future. If we want to store money, or send it anonymously (absolutely anonymous Bitcoin transactions are coming), we have Bitcoin.

If we want to send money all around the world to all sorts of legitimate businesses and individuals in a bunch of different currencies, we have Ripple.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:03:58 AM

I see Bitcoin as the store of value of the future. If we want to store money, or send it anonymously (absolutely anonymous Bitcoin transactions are coming), we have Bitcoin.

If we want to send money all around the world to all sorts of legitimate businesses and individuals in a bunch of different currencies, we have Ripple.
So you are saying the tag line for Ripple should be:

Ripple: it's the BitCoin for legitimate business.
bitcryptonit

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:24:43 AM

yes, like paypal and other centralised solutions. and no, no one will convince me its not centralised as long as they not release their sources. i simply dont believe them.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:38:02 AM

It's interesting that the people arguing against ripple are the ones who stand most to lose, their main fear is that other people would choose XRP as speculative investment over Bitcoin.

Let's quote here, shall we.

Problem 0. First, to get some nonsense out of the way. A system of colored coins, a p2pexchange or somesuch does not necessarily constitute competition for MPEx.

It's not the case that I'm stuck in the present model, threatened by anything and everything coming along. It's the case that I sit comfortably at the top of the chain. If I believe at any point there is value or use in them I can just... take... them. If experience is any guide, I shall take them the next day. Either, both, something similar. Further along those lines, MPEx makes plenty each month, certainly enough to afford it development of anything it wishes developed. To spec, by a competent team if need be.

So, if I say no it's not because of any other reason than simply the obvious : I do not believe them to be either useful or practical. Which allows us to move on to a discussion of that, which I hope will be instructive.

MPEx makes more in a good month than the entire value of "VC" investment in all of Ripple. That's right, all Katz&Shill co labor added together is nothing compared to what MPEx makes. Not even going into the financial subtleties of what it means to be valued in the 700k BTC range.

So, no. Mr Bear doesn't say Miss LittleShitInTheRain is worthless because he's threatened by it. He just doesn't feel it appealing. Because it stinks.

Yeah, tell me more why should I stop using IOUs issued by at least somehow legally regulated corporations, and join the happy lawless Ripple family.

Just look how great this works in practice.

Fortunately, misterbigg seems to be on the case.  He frankly has the patience (I do not) and the knowledge to field such "loaded" questions. I'll leave you gentlemen to it.

Maybe he's just getting paid better than you. I find it hysterical tho, this guy is famous for having made a pretend-torrent that was mostly used as a trojan horse for the RIAA to get the details of users. He dropped off the radar, a few years later he's here promoting Ripple hardcore. How little changes if you're made out of shit, huh.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:23:11 AM

It's interesting that the people arguing against ripple are the ones who stand most to lose, their main fear is that other people would choose XRP as speculative investment over Bitcoin.

Problem 0. First, to get some nonsense out of the way. A system of colored coins, a p2pexchange or somesuch does not necessarily constitute competition for MPEx.

It's not the case that I'm stuck in the present model, threatened by anything and everything coming along. It's the case that I sit comfortably at the top of the chain. If I believe at any point there is value or use in them I can just... take... them. If experience is any guide, I shall take them the next day. Either, both, something similar. Further along those lines, MPEx makes plenty each month, certainly enough to afford it development of anything it wishes developed. To spec, by a competent team if need be.

So, if I say no it's not because of any other reason than simply the obvious : I do not believe them to be either useful or practical. Which allows us to move on to a discussion of that, which I hope will be instructive.

MPEx makes more in a good month than the entire value of "VC" investment in all of Ripple. That's right, all Katz&Shill co labor added together is nothing compared to what MPEx makes. Not even going into the financial subtleties of what it means to be valued in the 700k BTC range.

So, no. Mr Bear doesn't say Miss LittleShitInTheRain is worthless because he's threatened by it. He just doesn't feel it appealing. Because it stinks.

In other words, why do poor loosers believe that if it had really been a worthwhile investment, people who are much more resourceful than them could only watch helplessly as the s**ers becoming rich, rather than taking over the market?

Yeah, tell me more why should I stop using IOUs issued by at least somehow legally regulated corporations, and join the happy lawless Ripple family.

Just look how great this works in practice.

Intersango is dodgy, but it stands in shame at the sheer level of dodginess that Ripple manages to achieve.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:32:16 PM

yes, like paypal and other centralised solutions. and no, no one will convince me its not centralised as long as they not release their sources. i simply dont believe them.
So you are saying the tag line for BitCoin should be:

BitCoin: It's the Ripple for illegitimate business.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:04:08 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2013, 02:38:29 PM by misterbigg

Maybe he's just getting paid better than you. I find it hysterical tho, this guy is famous for having made a pretend-torrent that was mostly used as a trojan horse for the RIAA to get the details of users. He dropped off the radar, a few years later he's here promoting Ripple hardcore. How little changes if you're made out of shit, huh.

I think it's worth singling out this post and bringing it to everyone's attention because not only does it speak to the character of MPOE-PR but it also shows that not everything coming from this persona is accurate (although to be fair shim has been right about a few things, like Coinlab).

I am not an employee of OpenCoin nor have I been paid or compensated to talk or do anything related to Ripple. It's interesting how I get called a shill, while certain bad actors are paying newbies to shill for anti-Ripple. It is true that I am the author of BearShare, but iMesh took it over a long time ago. Anything having to do with the RIAA getting details of the BearShare users has nothing to do with me.

I must vigorously disagree that I am "made out of shit." Quite the contrary if anyone is "made out of shit" I think it is probably MPOE-PR although this a matter of opinion. It seems he resorts mostly to ad hominems, or worse name calling. Compare and contrast the content of my posts where I try to present facts in a calm and concise manner, versus the other guy's which routinely resort to name calling, slander, and disinformation.

Far from being "against Bitcoin" or wanting Ripple to "destroy Bitcoin" I am bullish on both: I hold most of my net worth in Bitcoin and XRP in equal amounts. My feeling is that Ripple and Bitcoin are complementary with each having their own strengths. I'm also a contributor to both the Bitcoin repository as well as the Ripple repository. Interesting that when I look through the commit log of either, I see nothing from either MPOE-PR or his puppet master.

I've had lots of experience with forum trolls (the BearShare forums were raunchy!) and when I read anything from MPOE-PR, I just mentally note that everything written is "for entertainment purposes only." Perhaps someday, hot air will be a viable source of alternative energy but until then MPOE-PR will remain delegated to the dust-bin of irrelevance.

TL;DR version:

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 03:15:57 PM

Again you link to MPs blog, this time not even relevant to the debate. I ask you again, did you research ripple yourself or are you parroting what MP feeds you?
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:21:01 PM

Again you link to MPs blog, this time not even relevant to the debate. I ask you again, did you research ripple yourself or are you parroting what MP feeds you?

MPOE is not Mircea Popescu? I've been thinking for ages that MPOE-PR was Mircea's forum account.

talnted

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

www.bitcoingem.com

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 03:24:43 PM

My understanding was that these two currencies had two totally different purposes.

The Original and Most Popular Gem Game: www.bitcoingem.com
Over 800+ BTC Paid Out!  1110+ Buyers of the Gem!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 03:32:23 PM

MPOE is not Mircea Popescu? I've been thinking for ages that MPOE-PR was Mircea's forum account.

allegedly not
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:35:05 PM

allegedly not

That's funny, MPOE links to Mircea's posts every day, most of the times to support/complement his points... I definitely believed MPOE=Mircea.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 03:40:27 PM

allegedly not

That's funny, MPOE links to Mircea's posts every day, most of the times to support/complement his points... I definitely believed MPOE=Mircea.

It would make sense, MPOE claimed she is the women on the avatar, but then it could just really be Mircea.
Nobody really cares enough either way.

But acting like you believe it makes for some possibility of interesting debates, like we have seen above.  Tongue
MPOE-PR

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:47:19 PM

I think it's worth singling out this post and bringing it to everyone's attention because not only does it speak to the character of MPOE-PR but it also shows that not everything coming from this persona is accurate (although to be fair shim has been right about a few things, like Coinlab).

I am not an employee of OpenCoin nor have I been paid or compensated to talk or do anything related to Ripple. It's interesting how I get called a shill, while certain bad actors are paying newbies to shill for anti-Ripple. It is true that I am the author of BearShare, but iMesh took it over a long time ago. Anything having to do with the RIAA getting details of the BearShare users has nothing to do with me.

I must vigorously disagree that I am "made out of shit." Quite the contrary if anyone is "made out of shit" I think it is probably MPOE-PR although this a matter of opinion. It seems he resorts mostly to ad hominems, or worse name calling. Compare and contrast the content of my posts where I try to present facts in a calm and concise manner, versus the other guy's which routinely resort to name calling, slander, and disinformation.

Far from being "against Bitcoin" or wanting Ripple to "destroy Bitcoin" I am bullish on both: I hold most of my net worth in Bitcoin and XRP in equal amounts. My feeling is that Ripple and Bitcoin are complementary with each having their own strengths. I'm also a contributor to both the Bitcoin repository as well as the Ripple repository. Interesting that when I look through the commit log of either, I see nothing from either MPOE-PR or his puppet master.

I've had lots of experience with forum trolls (the BearShare forums were raunchy!) and when I read anything from MPOE-PR, I just mentally note that everything written is "for entertainment purposes only." Perhaps someday, hot air will be a viable source of alternative energy but until then MPOE-PR will remain delegated to the dust-bin of irrelevance.

So basically, you made a fake torrent piece of spyware, but it's not true that you made a fake torrent piece of spyware, and you're a shill but you're not a shill, and more words and even pictures. Well done. Your protest doth not convince. Carry on.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:10:33 PM

allegedly not

It would make sense, MPOE claimed she is the women on the avatar, but then it could just really be Mircea.
Nobody really cares enough either way.

But acting like you believe it makes for some possibility of interesting debates, like we have seen above.  Tongue

Well, if he really said he's the chick on the avatar he's just trolling you: MPOE is Mircea's company, as well as BitBet and Polimedia.

Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:10:56 PM

Maybe he's just getting paid better than you. <snip>

Or maybe...just maybe...he actually knows what he's talking about.  I personally find most of his posts on Ripple to be very informative.  I've seen people in stark opposition to Ripple, present some really well thought out and compelling arguments against Ripple.  That I can respect.  So far, you seem to just be trolling as you offer nothing of substance one way or the other.  That I don't respect one bit. Now he could totally be "made out of shyt", as you claim.  That could absolutely be true...but from my eyes, you're the only one with shyt on your face, because that's all you're spewing.  

And just food for thought...it was all the attacks against Ripple, that personally lead me to Ripple.  Now, I couldn't be happier so, thanks to all of you for that.   Wink

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
nameface

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:30:13 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2013, 05:41:06 PM by nameface

Not really. I'm saying it's:

Ripple: Facilitating business and innovation in ways Bitcoin can't.

I'm a contributor to both the Bitcoin repository as well as the Ripple repository. Interesting that when I look through the commit log of either, I see nothing from either MPOE-PR or his puppet master.
Your protest doth not convince. Carry on.

IMHO Bigg makes a fair point when he says: " I contribute, while all MPOE does is say bullshit " (I'm paraphrasing).

Maybe he's just getting paid better than you. <snip>
And just food for thought...it was all the attacks against Ripple, that personally lead me to Ripple.  Now, I couldn't be happier so, thanks to all of you for that.   Wink

I have a sneaking suspicion TradeFortress, MPOE, and some of the major Ripple detractors may be working in Ripple's favour. Their impact on these forums is may really be a net positive for Ripple, since Katz and Co. clearly have the ability to respond to any questions or legitimate criticisms, and are open to debating Ripple's features.

As a user and entrepreneur who is still fairly new to these modern payment solutions, it's very easy for me to be supportive of Ripple. Meanwhile MPOE and his/her ilk are diminishing my like for Bitcoin ttytt.

mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:41:39 PM

I wish the Ripple haters would use all that energy (and even money in some cases) to encourage a Ripple competitor that isn't also a competitor to Bitcoin, say Bitcoin + Open Transactions + Bitmessage, instead of slandering Ripple. That would be a constructive contribution, in contrast with the destructive approach they are taking now.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:46:35 PM

I wish the Ripple haters would use all that energy (and even money in some cases) to encourage a Ripple competitor that isn't also a competitor to Bitcoin, say Bitcoin + Open Transactions + Bitmessage, instead of slandering Ripple. That would be a constructive contribution, in contrast with the destructive approach they are taking now.

The composition here is Ripple fanboys + realists, not "haters" and ripple pumping + realism, not "slander". Nice going with the labelwork, but it doesn't actually do anything.

The only destructive thing going on is some irresponsible idiots + some very much interested shills pumping A SCAM which will make everyone, not just the idiots and the shills, look bad to the undiscerning public. Not very much so, it's not by any means a grave concern, but to keep things clear: pumping the scam is the destructive work here.

Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:15:04 PM

As a user and entrepreneur who is still fairly new to these modern payment solutions, it's very easy for me to be supportive of Ripple. Meanwhile MPOE and his/her ilk are diminishing my like for Bitcoin ttytt.

I know exactly how you feel.  Especially as it relates to whether or not to allow my business to be associated with such.  As they say, all money isn't good money.   Undecided

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: