Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:55:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple or Bitcoin  (Read 34061 times)
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 05:17:27 PM

Ripple is widely misunderstood.

At large, the Ripple protocol has been designed from its outset to level the playing field:

Paying without cash and without going through a bank may seem an impossible proposition. Not so, says Ryan Fugger, the architect of Ripple, an open source bank-independent peer-to-peer payment system that is now in Beta release, meaning it's open to play with and test.

The proposal is based on the fact that all payments are made through IOUs. While this is obvious in the case of trust between individuals, it is more obscure when considering cash, which is based on trust in the government, or the bank credit, which we obtain by the bank accepting our IOU - collateral - and providing its own IOU - a positive bank balance - for us to use in payment.

The idea of a direct payment system that complements and may eventually make obsolete both bank and government IOUs is simple but it has world-changing potential. It tends to counteract a huge drain on the economy which is operated by the mechanism of interest. Since some 97 % of our money is created a a loan from a bank, it requires continual interest to be paid to its owner, the bank.

It is a concept with historical precedent:

People created their own currencies, to substitute for the collapsing money supply. They kept using checks to pay one another, but then, people’s checks began trading within communities. Here’s how Antoin Murphy, one of the few scholars to have studied these strikes, which took place in the 1970s, describes it: “a highly personalized credit system without any definite time horizon for the eventual clearance of debits and credits substituted for the existing institutionalized banking system.”

The country in question was Ireland — today, in deep crisis because of profligate banks.

So why were the Irish of yesteryear able to trade notes with one another, in lieu of credit issued by banks? Well, Ireland was curiously well situated for this kind of resilience. It was an economy full of a very special kind of institution: what I’ve termed in my book, The New Capitalist Manifesto, Value Conversations. Antoin Murphy notes in no uncertain terms that the Irish economy was characterized by intense, frequent, conversational personal contact: tight, dense, solid local knowledge circulating at high velocity within and across communities. Result? Borrowers and lenders could build solid microfoundations of trust. In other words, when you’ve been chatting with Bill every night at the local pub for twenty years, you probably know whether his note is a good bet or not (and further, just how much to discount it to earn a sustainable and fair return, that neither fleeces Bill, nor robs you). Furthermore, if you’re the publican, and you’ve been chatting with me and with Bill, then you’re even better positioned to become a de facto arbitrator of notes — a bank. And that’s exactly the role that pubs began to play.

You might say that a radically decentralized, p2p financial system spontaneously arose. Instead of letting the bankers’ strike collapse their prosperity, people decided, simply, that they could get on with the day-to-day stuff of banking themselves. In slightly more formal terms, I’d suggest that they were able to take on, at least in tiny part, five of Robert Merton and Zvi Bodie’s six standard functions of a financial system: settling payments, providing information, setting incentives, pooling resources, and transferring resources. The bankers thought even one of six might have been impossible. It’s as if the economy settled into a new dynamic equilibrium: one where emergent, unpredicted — and totally unforeseen — behavior unlocked a very different kind of financial system. It wasn’t perfect; yes, foreign currency transactions were problematic, yes, moral hazard was an issue, and perhaps my reading, having not been there myself, is frankly erroneous. It’s not a utopian picture — just a very different one from mega-banking, with a very different feel, purpose, and structure.

Add in global distributed/decentralized ledgers, smart contracts, real-time settlement---and we can already begin to fill in many gaps.

I see tremendous value in the concept of individually issued currencies, and I also do not see that feature as mutually exclusive with mining---if mining tech is adapted to support that use case at a fundamental level. Mastercoin and others are beginning to lead the way. I also see value in rethinking mining itself. Hybrid systems offer a lot of potential value. Real-time settlement of individually issued currencies is a powerful concept. I do not want my livelihood beholden to a single currency.

Regarding the strategy of Ripple Labs, here is the opinion expressed by the creator of Ripple and its community vision (Ryan Fugger):

I spent years working on growing pre-XRP Ripple in a grassroots fashion, and it was ultimately a barrier that people and small businesses aren't used to being credit intermediaries. I generally prefer the grassroots approach, but it makes sense to me to initially target institutions that are already acting as credit intermediaries, at least for the credit network portion of Ripple.

I think Ripple Labs is taking a pragmatic and effective approach, and their resultant recent major successes are relevant to the future of all cryptocurrency. As outlined in my response to the linked post, I believe a multi-phase approach will be necessary to drive ubiquitous adoption of cryptocurrencies at global scale.

I do not see Ripple and Bitcoin as mutually exclusive. I see them as complementary. I do not believe the future of cryptocurrencies will be a zero sum game. In general, I see a future of many competing currencies as the healthiest future that we can hope for. Bitcoin, Litecoin, NXT, DOGE, Ripple, Ethereum, and all the rest can have promising futures together. Multi-currency support in cryptocurrency systems designed for interoperability with other systems (cryptocurrency and beyond) will play an especially important role.

Dismissing Ripple outright is a disservice to the cryptocurrency community at large, so long as it continues to lead to a tendency of dismissing all of the underlying open source tech and concepts delivered. Adapt, fork, and improve if you are uncomfortable with fundamental components of the Ripple Labs implementation or network growth strategy. Codius, the Ripple Labs smart contract protocol, is being designed decoupled from Ripple. An engineering team of 30+ (and growing) is delivering value that the entirety of the community can benefit from, through both Codius and Ripple.

Investing in Ripple, as with any cryptocurrency, is high risk. I am not advocating you invest in Ripple. Do not invest in any cryptocurrency that you have not taken the time to thoroughly research and understand. At the moment, I am not aware of any cryptocurrency that is able to effectively scale at a technical level to meet global needs. Major technical breakthroughs are still needed to cover those needs, and all coins can innovate to drive those changes. It is a reason why strong developer support is essential. As of 2010 VISA could handle a daily load of between 2,000 - 5,000 transactions per second, with a burst capacity of 24,000. IO, disk space consumption, processing overhead, as well as network communication efficiency are all in need of major innovation.

We have a long way to go, together.
Nice post, very informative  Smiley
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 10:40:48 PM

As of 2010 VISA could handle a daily load of between 2,000 - 5,000 transactions per second, with a burst capacity of 24,000. IO, disk space consumption, processing overhead, as well as network communication efficiency are all in need of major innovation.

What a bunch of baloney. There is more than enough processing power to have practically any amount of financial transactions. Transfering and processing a number two account numbers and some hashes can be done million times every second on a smartphone.
The reason VISA can't is because there is a human factor involved with every transaction.
Things Change

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 04:01:57 AM

I'm gonna say go with Bitcoin. I think it's poised for a breakout in the coming months.  Cool
sniveling

Activity: 719
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 12:22:52 PM

As of 2010 VISA could handle a daily load of between 2,000 - 5,000 transactions per second, with a burst capacity of 24,000. IO, disk space consumption, processing overhead, as well as network communication efficiency are all in need of major innovation.

What a bunch of baloney. There is more than enough processing power to have practically any amount of financial transactions. Transfering and processing a number two account numbers and some hashes can be done million times every second on a smartphone.
The reason VISA can't is because there is a human factor involved with every transaction.

The lead dev of bitcoin is proposing a change that could allow bitcoin to scale to far more transactions per second than VISA.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 12:31:32 PM

The lead dev of bitcoin is proposing a change that could allow bitcoin to scale to far more transactions per second than VISA.
So how high does Jeff (who isn't lead dev any more btw.) propose should the blocksize limit be? Roll Eyes

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
sniveling

Activity: 719

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 12:50:01 PM

So how high does Jeff (who isn't lead dev any more btw.) propose should the blocksize limit be? Roll Eyes

I'm not clued up on the finer details but this is what I read.

Bitcoin Foundation chief scientist Gavin Andresen has proposed increasing the number of transactions allowed on the bitcoin network by raising the maximum block size by 50% per year.

http://www.coindesk.com/gavin-andresen-bitcoin-hard-fork/
arieq

Activity: 364
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:22:49 PM

The development is still going and in my opinion Ripple will be placed side by side with bitcoins soon.

We must have trusty alternates. Ripple is a 100% premined coin. The optimal value for a 100% premined coin like this one: 1XRP at $0 maximum.

You can not premine a mine-less coin, and of course you can't mine ripple either, moreover you cant buy large shares of it. this is the real original market the pure core stuff in which we trust http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ripple/

kskwerl

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 10:36:46 AM

I'd choose a pulsation. but only in the long term. if you want to make money soon, rather than wait for a few years, then you should buy bitcoins. after all, it is bitcoins now. 1 of the most popular cryptocurrencies in the world. his course is constantly growing.
hdtqisg

Activity: 686

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 10:49:45 AM

Ripple can not be replaced Bitcoin due to Bitcoin and Ripple differ a lot in algorithm! Bitcoin has been recognized by the community and is very good value! The ripple needs to do much more for its development if it wants to keep up with Bitcoin
ajaymukund

Activity: 784
Merit: 10

https://streamies.io/

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 10:52:49 AM

Could Ripple XRP replace bitcoin before it is widely accepted?
If ripple allows users to send money instantly and almost fee free, with a pretty and easy to use UI.
Plenty of money to burn on advertising and reputation building.
Business and Financial connections likely to get them accepted on large merchant sites.
Why would the average person have any interest in Bitcoin?

More important could Ripple become controlled by business or government?

I'm not suggesting any of this is fact.
Just wanna hear the opinions of people that actually know stuff.
Ripple is a very large company and has abundant capital supply from 6 different major banks. We can say that its technology and trading methods are more bitcoin. Bitcoin technology is obsolete, but it is still used by many people. perhaps because bitcoin is the first electronic currency and carries a lot of human values. So bitcoin always leads in the Crypto market.

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
Jackson699

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 10:54:37 AM

i choose bitcoin
Tonygold1967

Activity: 308
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 11:03:12 AM

Of course bitcoin, I do not think that there is any doubt.
buimangai1234

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 11:21:17 AM

It appears that as prices for Ripples rise (they are currently valued higher than Bitcoin's market cap), OpenCoin will reduce the rate of distribution instead of sticking to a plan. Back when they first began handing out in this forum, they sent 50k XRP. They reduced this slowly, and now they are giving out 1k XRP. So, I believe they think that being valued over Bitcoin market cap is a fair price, or that they think they must maintain it to continue generating profits selling their coins.
Because OpenCoin has no plans in monetary policy and likely spontaneously changes their plans based on where the price is and where they would like it to go, it is probably prone to bubbles, even more so than Bitcoin, where the block chain relentlessly distributes according to an algorithm, no matter what.
indeika

Activity: 138

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 11:53:46 AM

I do not believe that Ripple will be able to replace BTC in the future.  I think only ETH can replace BTC in the future.
yahata144

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 10:52:41 AM

You must think you're pretty clever or something (because stupid is when there's a binary but no source, right? And there's a source of you somewhere, not like the binary was just picked off static).
MISS_nSTASSY

Activity: 392
Merit: 105

Vena.Network

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 11:19:37 AM

It is very interesting to read posts from the 2013 about Bitcoin and Ripple comparison Smiley As the history show us, there are many coins that have faster transactions, lower fees, higher supply, but they didn't replace BTC because they all don't have one important thing that Bitcoin has.
So I think Bitcoin cant be replaced with other coin, especially with Ripple which is not cryptocurrency as is. Or maybe it can happen in the future, maybe 10-15 years later.

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       WhitePaper       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       Vena Network       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       Announce       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
―――――       Luoshu Agreement - an Open Agreement For Asset Financing and Tokenization       ―――――
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾      Telegram    ‾‾    Github    ‾‾         Join Our Bounty         ‾‾    Twitter    ‾‾    FaceBook      ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Siberian Husky

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 11:33:13 AM

Bitcoin quality is the best of the other coins and I call it a coin king, I think it is impossible if Ripple will replace Bitcoin because the price and demand difference is still so much more Bitcoin.
_Gaston_

Activity: 117

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 11:50:18 AM

On the Ripple coin, I managed to earn 50%, after which I sold all the coins, which I do not regret. I prefer more classical crypto currency
sjadn12912999

Activity: 77

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 03:12:08 PM

People like BitCoin because it is decentralized, that is one of the biggest selling points.
If Ripple is owned by someone I don't understand why there is a point being part of it as it is just an unacceptable version of what ever their countries currency is.
Which is a waste of time and money.
I can't wait for the 'Ripple took my money!' to be posted all over the Bitcoin forum.
Leighton Walker

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:05:33 AM

Of course I choose BTC because its price increases really fast and legit. you also sometimes have lose because the trend of BTC price is unpredictable. However, I'm sure that BTC is compaired to other coins that is more user-friendly.  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: