May 03, 2024, 03:01:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 5151 5152 5153 5154 5155 5156 5157 5158 5159 5160 5161 5162 5163 5164 5165 5166 5167 5168 5169 5170 5171 5172 5173 5174 5175 5176 5177 5178 5179 5180 5181 5182 5183 5184 5185 5186 5187 5188 5189 5190 5191 5192 5193 5194 5195 5196 5197 5198 5199 5200 [5201] 5202 5203 5204 5205 5206 5207 5208 5209 5210 5211 5212 5213 5214 5215 5216 5217 5218 5219 5220 5221 5222 5223 5224 5225 5226 5227 5228 5229 5230 5231 5232 5233 5234 5235 5236 5237 5238 5239 5240 5241 5242 5243 5244 5245 5246 5247 5248 5249 5250 5251 ... 33317 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371182 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2116

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:03:02 PM

IN other words, what are you referring to..? explain yourself rather than providing some puzzle that is meant to show your brilliance.

OK. I am really trying to wind this down now so I skipped replying to a comment above (though apparently your definitions don't agree with your interpretations) and I'll keep this brief. He said that he didn't want to be strongarmed into contributing to this scheme because it is *his* money, 30% or 0.01%. It does not follow that he wouldn't voluntarily contribute in the least. That is entirely something that you have overlayed onto things.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:03:09 PM

PSA:  It's generally appreciated not to quote the trolls.  Ignore button doesn't apply to quotations, sadly.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:03:25 PM

You seem to be suggesting that government impedes innovations...

OK, real world example: Government mandates catalytic convertors. Auto manufacturers develop lean-burn engines that have pollutant output similar or better than that provided by catalytic converters and are more efficient to boot. Lean-burn engines are not compatible with catalytic converters so are shelved. There are many of this kind of thing if you keep your ears open but I'm not going to sit here and read a list to you.

Edit: Enough of this here anyway. Wrong thread.

Yes.. of course, we could list a large number of examples of where things go wrong, and your after the fact attempt remains insufficient b/c it fails to provide a context. 

We can also list a large number of examples of government funding that created innovation.  These examples do NOT prove points, unless they are described in a context and have some overall applicability to what is being argued. 
gizmoh
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:03:25 PM

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, or Finra, on Tuesday issued an investor alert on bitcoin, saying digital currencies are "more than a bit risky." The agency said the alert was intended to caution investors about the risks inherent in buying and using digital currencies like bitcoin. That includes risks from speculative trading and potential fraud related to bitcoin companies, the alert said. The move came after the collapse of the bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox in late February, which filed for bankruptcy in Japan and the U.S. said it lost customers' bitcoins. "Digital currency such as bitcoin is not legal tender," the Finra alert said, which also warned about the lack of safeguards in place for consumers, the irreversibility of bitcoin transactions, and its association with illegal activities.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/finra-alert-says-bitcoin-more-than-a-bit-risky-2014-03-11?reflink=MW_news_stmp
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:04:24 PM

Basically, Li thinks that a platform will need to make its revenues from value-added services rather than trading, which he sees as a basic service and a commodity that should be free for consumers.

What services are they selling? Let me guess, premium memberships that include a pause button to execute your trades before non-premium members?

Good question.  Apart from "selling their clients' coins" of course.  Wink

Perhaps bitcoin lending (don't they do that already?).  Priority in the placement of bids/asks (a subtler alternative to a "pause" button?

In my understanding, bitcoin as a currency of e-commerce or as a bona-fide financial instrument is dead in China, and I don't see that changing in the future.
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:04:39 PM

With GOLD you have at least something in your hands, no matter if it is really worth the price or not. Bitcoins are just bits, only virtual, nothing manifested. You cant hold it in your hands like money (yeah its only paper), gold, ice cream or whatever. I think most people, including me, have problems with this.

Worse. Bitcoins are not even bits. There are no bitcoins, only the transfer of bitcoins.

If you have problems with this though, the door is over thataway.

there is usb that u can store bitcoin on and also paper wallets Cool

Yes, by analogy it is like a stone tablet with writing carved into it. What is a piece of stone worth? Sweet f a. But the missing stone areas that are filled with air (again worthless) give it value. Perhaps the blockchain can be thought of this way
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:05:34 PM

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, or Finra, on Tuesday issued an investor alert on bitcoin, saying digital currencies are "more than a bit risky." The agency said the alert was intended to caution investors about the risks inherent in buying and using digital currencies like bitcoin. That includes risks from speculative trading and potential fraud related to bitcoin companies, the alert said. The move came after the collapse of the bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox in late February, which filed for bankruptcy in Japan and the U.S. said it lost customers' bitcoins. "Digital currency such as bitcoin is not legal tender," the Finra alert said, which also warned about the lack of safeguards in place for consumers, the irreversibility of bitcoin transactions, and its association with illegal activities.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/finra-alert-says-bitcoin-more-than-a-bit-risky-2014-03-11?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Thx FINRA. We were all unaware that bitcoin is a speculative investment.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2116

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:05:54 PM

there is usb that u can store bitcoin on and also paper wallets Cool

I do hope you're being facetious Cheesy
MikeH

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:11:25 PM

I'm not a fan of staying on topic but how about we use a different colour for those who want to skim past the random drivel..
kkaspar

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

banned but not broken

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:14:13 PM

Everyone here are also aware that most of the bitcoins are owned by anonymous people, who in all probability and considering the history, are drug dealers, computer crackers or confidence man. By trusting your wealth in bitcoin, you are trusting that this criminal element won't dump their coins to acquire your wealth as their own.
rjp55

Activity: 798

CurioInvest [IEO Live]

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 06:18:40 PM

Everyone here are also aware that most of the bitcoins are owned by anonymous people, who in all probability and considering the history, are drug dealers, computer crackers or confidence man. By trusting your wealth in bitcoin, you are trusting that this criminal element won't dump their coins to acquire your wealth as their own.

Why do you post here?

You sound like the annoying brat telling a group of smokers how bad it is for their health over and over. What's it to you? Light up or screw off.
UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:25:34 PM

PSA:  It's generally appreciated not to quote the trolls.  Ignore button doesn't apply to quotations, sadly.

If you mean me, I´m no troll, I´m 90% in Bitcoin  Cheesy

Just writing my thoughts, why usual people are probably not interested in buying Bitcoins.
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 06:26:27 PM

I'm not a fan of staying on topic but how about we use a different colour for those who want to skim past the random drivel..

That's be more efficient if those who posted on-topic used a different colour.  Tongue
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:29:08 PM

If you mean me, I´m no troll, I´m 90% in Bitcoin  Cheesy

Just writing my thoughts, why usual people are probably not interested in buying Bitcoins.

No I don't mean you.  It's crucially important for anyone investing in bitcoin to understand its problems, and criticism is very helpful in that regard.

I'm very doubtful that, e.g. kkaspar in particular, could ever manage to make such a useful contribution.  

There may be bull trolls as well, but I'm less sensitive to those.  Many might consider me to be one.
kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:29:18 PM

Why do you post here?

You sound like the annoying brat telling a group of smokers how bad it is for their health over and over. What's it to you? Light up or screw off.

To balance things out. Yeah, when a group of smokers like to cheer to each other, how good smoking is for their health, then I'm exactly the guy who cuts in and recommends to have at least minimal grip on reality.
rjp55

Activity: 798

CurioInvest [IEO Live]

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 06:38:18 PM

Why do you post here?

To balance things out. Yeah, when a group of smokers like to cheer to each other, how good smoking is for their health, then I'm exactly the guy who cuts in and recommends to have at least minimal grip on reality.

That's my point, you act like people aren't aware of the risks already. Go run along and do something else.

I just bought a couple more just to spite people like you.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:39:35 PM

Nobody posts TA on this forum anymore.  Undecided

I thought I just did:

If you could rip it to shreds, that would help get the thread on-task.

I can't add much to those thoughts as I do not attempt to extrapolate mid-term trends from long-term trends (well, I am only interested in mid-term trends -- you and I can likely agree on the long term, anyway). This is the nature of counter-trends. I did draw some charts to meet your conditions, but I don't understand why this should be predictive, rather than coincidental.
kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:42:25 PM

That's my point, you act like people aren't aware of the risks already. Go run along and do something else.

People sure aren't acting like they are aware of the risks already. I'll probably get my account banned soon, so you don't have to see my name any longer. Can't promise that you won't see my text anymore though.

The last line you wrote was a little weird. To me, that's like shooting yourself in the foot just to spite people like me :/
threecats

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:44:38 PM

People sure aren't acting like they are aware of the risks already. I'll probably get my account banned soon, so you don't have to see my name any longer. Can't promise that you won't see my text anymore though.

The last line you wrote was a little weird. To me, that's like shooting yourself in the foot just to spite people like me :/

yea, that's why he is buying bitcoin. to spite you.

pitch that one to your shrink. might be productive.
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:45:27 PM

Well this thread sure isn't the best playground to hold this debate, it's moving too fast.

[snip]
However, that does NOT mean that we are going to agree that we should throw away our existing system, prior to the more broader implementations of these various innovations.

I do not advocate the "throwing away of our existing system". In fact, here is what I advocated some posts ago:

I advocate the movement towards the anarchy part of the spectrum. Not in any violent, preferably not even sudden manner, because I think that would cause confusion and suffering. I do this because I am convinced that decentralized/voluntary/anarchistic forms of societal organization are far superior to centralized forms in terms of their efficiency.

I can see why you would project that thought at me. As with any group of people, dogmatic, oversimplifying people seem to be a vocal majority among anarchists.

[snip]
if you are proposing another system, then let us know what that would be exactly and how it would play out.  

I really feel like debating Bitcoin with someone who just keeps asking me "yes OK I understand it is decentralized, but WHO RUNS IT? WHO CONTROLS IT?" I have told you, that I am advocating movement towards anarchy. How would you describe the "system" of anarchy? You don't, because there is no one single system. The point I keep repeating here is that you and I do not know what particular system would be better suited to our needs, nor do we know how a system change would play out and to claim we do is to engage in humongous hubris. It does not follow, though, that there can be no such system. The thought, that the best possible system can be devised by a person or a group seems ridiculous to me. I am saying that we should treat society more like an organism, which grows from the inside out, than a mechanism, which is assembled from its constituent parts according to a central plan, to fulfill certain functions.

Incidentally I am all in favor of this:

However, that does NOT mean that we are going to agree that we should throw away our existing system, prior to the more broader implementations of these various innovations.

I have suggested this before: to simply "cancel" the government right now would probably prove disastrous in the short term. The culture, the infrastructure, practically everything is not ready for this, because there are no alternatives ready. Government has a too dominant role in most important areas of human life. In many of them they ban competition. Before we can transition to any kind of hypothetical government-free state, these alternatives need to be created first, otherwise the transition might prove too painful. Quitting cold turkey might not be advisable in this state of high addiction to government.

What I am saying is let us work on creating these alternatives. If you do not wish to participate, I sympathize (but why are you involved with Bitcoin, I wonder?). You keep asking me to provide proof that they can work, but how can I do that? We need to try, to find out. Besides, I have already stated that it might indeed be the case, that governmental organizations have been a necessary part of civilization until the advent of the internet. But I feel that with this technology at hand, we need to re-test this belief. I have provided no "proof", nor real life examples, just a bunch of concepts and explanations, speculations and musings on why self-organizing, decentralized systems exhibit properties of emergent order and why that might be a good thing to apply to society. What more can I provide? I don't have your desired thought out central plan how to achieve decentralization.  Should I go on about how Wikipedia is superior to the Encyclopedia Britannica due to its decentralized nature?

Anyways, I'm happy for you that you seem to be quite content with the current system. Hope you can appreciate people trying to explore alternatives and tolerate their sometimes heretical thoughts while they do so. In the end if the result is having more freedom of choice, you'll be better off to. Or is the freedom of choice between different flavors of government enough for you?
Pages: « 1 ... 5151 5152 5153 5154 5155 5156 5157 5158 5159 5160 5161 5162 5163 5164 5165 5166 5167 5168 5169 5170 5171 5172 5173 5174 5175 5176 5177 5178 5179 5180 5181 5182 5183 5184 5185 5186 5187 5188 5189 5190 5191 5192 5193 5194 5195 5196 5197 5198 5199 5200 [5201] 5202 5203 5204 5205 5206 5207 5208 5209 5210 5211 5212 5213 5214 5215 5216 5217 5218 5219 5220 5221 5222 5223 5224 5225 5226 5227 5228 5229 5230 5231 5232 5233 5234 5235 5236 5237 5238 5239 5240 5241 5242 5243 5244 5245 5246 5247 5248 5249 5250 5251 ... 33317 »
  Print  

Jump to: