May 02, 2024, 05:41:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 13210 13211 13212 13213 13214 13215 13216 13217 13218 13219 13220 13221 13222 13223 13224 13225 13226 13227 13228 13229 13230 13231 13232 13233 13234 13235 13236 13237 13238 13239 13240 13241 13242 13243 13244 13245 13246 13247 13248 13249 13250 13251 13252 13253 13254 13255 13256 13257 13258 13259 [13260] 13261 13262 13263 13264 13265 13266 13267 13268 13269 13270 13271 13272 13273 13274 13275 13276 13277 13278 13279 13280 13281 13282 13283 13284 13285 13286 13287 13288 13289 13290 13291 13292 13293 13294 13295 13296 13297 13298 13299 13300 13301 13302 13303 13304 13305 13306 13307 13308 13309 13310 ... 33314 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26370707 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1759

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 05:03:35 PM

Coin
Explanation

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 05:11:38 PM

The dollar weakened, so assets denominated in dollars went up, all things else being equal. 

Fundamental issues as I see them:

1. Bitcoin is a poor unit of account because it is too volatile (although this is decreasing)
2. Bitcoin is a poor medium of exchange (network capacity of 7 TPS is far too low)
3. Bitcoin is a poor store of value (not enough liquidity to be an easily marketable commodity)

This seems strange considering Bitcoin's properties of being recognizable, transportable, fungible, divisible, and scarce. 

It seems to me that the most likely path to mainstream adoption would be through microtransactions, when a unit of account need not be closely correlated with store-of-value, but of course nobody wants to invest in microtransaction applications with the network capacity/block size limit uncertainty.  It's impossible to build a business model based on an unknown fee structure. 

0. Bitcoin supporters are so batshit insane that many folks simply don't want to be associated with them.
Dump3er

Activity: 1372
Merit: 535

Cashback 15%

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 05:14:15 PM

are we rich yet??   Huh

I like your irony in both ways  Cheesy
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 05:52:03 PM

are we rich yet??   Huh

If you are owning ten thousand coins I'm supposed to say yes.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 05:59:43 PM

The dollar weakened, so assets denominated in dollars went up, all things else being equal. 

1. Bitcoin is a poor unit of account because it is too volatile (although this is decreasing)
2. Bitcoin is a poor medium of exchange (network capacity of 7 TPS is far too low)
3. Bitcoin is a poor store of value (not enough liquidity to be an easily marketable commodity)

This seems strange considering Bitcoin's properties of being recognizable, transportable, fungible, divisible, and scarce. 

It seems to me that the most likely path to mainstream adoption would be through microtransactions, when a unit of account need not be closely correlated with store-of-value, but of course nobody wants to invest in microtransaction applications with the network capacity/block size limit uncertainty.  It's impossible to build a business model based on an unknown fee structure. 

0. Bitcoin supporters are so batshit insane that many folks simply don't want to be associated with them.

That's not a valid reason at all. Economics is all about incentives. Given a strong enough incentive, racists will hire minorities, Sexists will hire women, Anti-semites will do business with Jews and Homophobes will provide goods and services to gays. History is littered with sane people lining up to be associated with whackjobs when they had an incentive to do so. 

" It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business." ~Michael Corleone

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:02:16 PM

Coin
Explanation
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:08:22 PM

It seems to me that the most likely path to mainstream adoption would be through microtransactions, when a unit of account need not be closely correlated with store-of-value, but of course nobody wants to invest in microtransaction applications with the network capacity/block size limit uncertainty.  It's impossible to build a business model based on an unknown fee structure.  

What random straw man arguments!!!!!

NONE of your listed fundamental issues are problematic for bitcoin at this stage in its life, and maybe NOT even into the future.  Bitcoin remains a growing phenomenon with ongoing development, and its infrastructure is well capable of expanding capacity as soon as people begin to jump on board.  Surely there is a bit of a catch 22 because additional people may be hesitant to jump on board if they are worried about future devaluation... but as more people jump on board, the price increases causing more interest and causing more need to expand, build and modify existing systems, including user friendliness.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:11:53 PM

That's not a valid reason at all. Economics is all about incentives. Given a strong enough incentive, racists will hire minorities, Sexists will hire women, Anti-semites will do business with Jews and Homophobes will provide goods and services to gays. History is littered with sane people lining up to be associated with whackjobs when they had an incentive to do so. 

BJA ::::  Looks like you beat me to it and you addressed your batshit insane ideas by providing the solution to the problem.. ... in other words, HAVE A LITTLE PATIENCE.... people are going to come to bitcoin.. just a matter of time... whether this year or next or increasingly building over the next 5 years.     Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy      Wink Wink Wink
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 06:14:12 PM

It seems to me that the most likely path to mainstream adoption would be through microtransactions, when a unit of account need not be closely correlated with store-of-value, but of course nobody wants to invest in microtransaction applications with the network capacity/block size limit uncertainty.  It's impossible to build a business model based on an unknown fee structure.  

NONE of your listed fundamental issues are problematic for bitcoin at this stage in its life, and maybe NOT even into the future.  Bitcoin remains a growing phenomenon with ongoing development, and its infrastructure is well capable of expanding capacity as soon as people begin to jump on board.  Surely there is a bit of a catch 22 because additional people may be hesitant to jump on board if they are worried about future devaluation... but as more people jump on board, the price increases causing more interest and causing more need to expand, build and modify existing systems, including user friendliness.

That's the most perfect example of a circular argument I can Imagine. You need a reason to "jump on board" other than "people are jumping on board".  Investors are forward thinking, so future problems, particularly FORESEEABLE problems such as scalability, affect investment NOW.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:25:37 PM

Moscow Exchange stops trading on all markets

You guys in Russia should trade Bitcoin instead.

They already are.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 06:37:32 PM

You've got it all in reverse, Women won't hire sexists, Jews won't hire Antisemites and Homosexuals won't hire Homophobes. Bitcoiners are the ones who want to bring on economic Armageddon, want to evade taxes, subvert the government and who hold a fundamentalist attitude.
It's the Bitcoiners that subscribe to the us versus them mentality not normal people.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:40:15 PM

hashtagging in here? really?

Aztec can hashtag as much as he wants. This way I can understand a bit better what the fuck he is on about. Most of his posts nowadays are just undefined raging fury simmering in the deep.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 07:02:52 PM

Coin
Explanation
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 07:18:27 PM

You've got it all in reverse, Women won't hire sexists, Jews won't hire Antisemites and Homosexuals won't hire Homophobes. Bitcoiners are the ones who want to bring on economic Armageddon, want to evade taxes, subvert the government and who hold a fundamentalist attitude.
It's the Bitcoiners that subscribe to the us versus them mentality not normal people.

Do I? Women complain all the time that their bosses are sexist. Many minorities, possibly even most of them believe or suspect that their employers are racists. So why work for them? Because to them, it's better than the alternatives. It's all about the incentives, Man.   

I could argue that your characterization of bitcoiners is a straw man, but there's no point because it's irrelevant.  The price of gold isn't determined by the goldbug's whack conspiracy theories. It's determined by supply and demand. It doesn't fucking matter. The issue holding bitcoin back is scalability and network capacity.  Everything else is incidental. Branding only matters when deciding between two or more nearly identical choices. Coke or Pepsi. Visa or Mastercard.

aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 07:31:01 PM

hashtagging in here? really?

Aztec can hashtag as much as he wants. This way I can understand a bit better what the fuck he is on about. Most of his posts nowadays are just undefined raging fury simmering in the deep.

i'm bigtime bearish on gimpcoin right now... and bitcoin too.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 07:31:05 PM

That's the most perfect example of a circular argument I can Imagine. You need a reason to "jump on board" other than "people are jumping on board".  Investors are forward thinking, so future problems, particularly FORESEEABLE problems such as scalability, affect investment NOW.

For some reason, you seem to be making too much out of problems that don't really exist.  Surely, they are issues, but certainly NOT to any level that you are making them out to be (scale or die, for example.... hahahahaha).  My response may seem circlular, yet the circularity sense of it likely comes mostly from the sense that these adoption matters take time, and they are difficult to measure. 

Bitcoin continues to develop in a lot of ways on a global schedule.  It is becoming more known, and more people are learning about it and more systems are being developed for getting in and for getting out.  Surely, some people do get out of bitcoin, but their exit is likely NOT forever and likely NOT in total.  Again... patience my friend... don't rush a good thing.

Yes, I would like the price to go up too, and sure, I would like to accumulate a few more coins while the price is down; however, in the end, there is going to be ups and downs in the price and manipulation etc etc... and really some of the extent of your drama or exaggeration seems to be attempting to cause an effect rather than really talking about the real state of bitcoin today.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 07:48:09 PM

Do I? Women complain all the time that their bosses are sexist. Many minorities, possibly even most of them believe or suspect that their employers are racists. So why work for them? Because to them, it's better than the alternatives. It's all about the incentives, Man.  

I could argue that your characterization of bitcoiners is a straw man, but there's no point because it's irrelevant.  The price of gold isn't determined by the goldbug's whack conspiracy theories. It's determined by supply and demand. It doesn't fucking matter. The issue holding bitcoin back is scalability and network capacity.  Everything else is incidental. Branding only matters when deciding between two or more nearly identical choices. Coke or Pepsi. Visa or Mastercard.

Yeah, I think I've seen plenty of bigotry from you. You are even demonstrating that right now.

Gold is also not taking over the economy anytime soon, the difference is whackjob goldbugs aren't representative for the the people who own gold, it's mainly a cultural artefact to use it as jewelry (slightly more than half of it) the rest is industry, banks and only a small percentage of that is gold bullion.
With Bitcoin it's people like you. Yep you are representative of the Bitcoin community. Be proud.  Roll Eyes

PS: You don't have to see the stigmatization of Bitcoin as justified or even rational. You just should acknowledge that it's happening.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 08:01:58 PM

NONE of your listed fundamental issues are problematic for bitcoin at this stage in its life, and maybe NOT even into the future.  Bitcoin remains a growing phenomenon with ongoing development, and its infrastructure is well capable of expanding capacity as soon as people begin to jump on board.  Surely there is a bit of a catch 22 because additional people may be hesitant to jump on board if they are worried about future devaluation... but as more people jump on board, the price increases causing more interest and causing more need to expand, build and modify existing systems, including user friendliness.

That's the most perfect example of a circular argument I can Imagine. You need a reason to "jump on board" other than "people are jumping on board".  Investors are forward thinking, so future problems, particularly FORESEEABLE problems such as scalability, affect investment NOW.

For some reason, you seem to be making too much out of problems that don't really exist.  Surely, they are issues, but certainly NOT to any level that you are making them out to be (scale or die, for example.... hahahahaha).  My response may seem circlular, yet the circularity sense of it likely comes mostly from the sense that these adoption matters take time, and they are difficult to measure.  

Bitcoin continues to develop in a lot of ways on a global schedule.  It is becoming more known, and more people are learning about it and more systems are being developed for getting in and for getting out.  Surely, some people do get out of bitcoin, but their exit is likely NOT forever and likely NOT in total.  Again... patience my friend... don't rush a good thing.

Yes, I would like the price to go up too, and sure, I would like to accumulate a few more coins while the price is down; however, in the end, there is going to be ups and downs in the price and manipulation etc etc... and really some of the extent of your drama or exaggeration seems to be attempting to cause an effect rather than really talking about the real state of bitcoin today.

I agree with billyjoeallen.

and would like to add that once this block limit debate is over and we have a release that somehow will make sure Bitcoin can handle 1000's of TPS, investors will be more willing. Weather sidechain or increased  block limit  does the trick, won't make much difference. the way i see it we'll end up needing both solutions to make Bitcoin handle the same level of TPS VISA can do.

waiting for more poeple to join in, to make Bitcoin able to support more poeple joining in, creates a catch 22 effect that slows / delays  adoption. kinda mad at the devs for being so indecisive. but all in good time, this will get resolved one way or another, taking advantage of the FUD surrounding all this by buying BTC is just good speculation.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 08:02:16 PM

Coin
Explanation
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 08:07:03 PM

... and really some of the extent of your drama or exaggeration seems to be attempting to cause an effect rather than really talking about the real state of bitcoin today.

That's partially true and I'll be the first to admit it. I want the price to go down IF it leads to cause the core devs to implement a workable scale patch or else leads to some other group replacing them. I want bitcoin to succeed as an electronic peer to peer cash system as it was designed, not as some cloistered settlement network only used by the same assholes who run the current system. 

Fiat money is debt. It is lent into existence. That makes the entire global financial system a giant pyramid scheme. I don't have to wish for economic Armageddon to see one coming (or more likely a series of disasters  eventually having the same effect). I don't have to cause it or contribute to causing it. It's going to happen as a mathematical certainty.  If we don't find a way to escape the system, we will go down with it.   

A network capacity of seven transactions/sec is a life boat with very few seats.
Pages: « 1 ... 13210 13211 13212 13213 13214 13215 13216 13217 13218 13219 13220 13221 13222 13223 13224 13225 13226 13227 13228 13229 13230 13231 13232 13233 13234 13235 13236 13237 13238 13239 13240 13241 13242 13243 13244 13245 13246 13247 13248 13249 13250 13251 13252 13253 13254 13255 13256 13257 13258 13259 [13260] 13261 13262 13263 13264 13265 13266 13267 13268 13269 13270 13271 13272 13273 13274 13275 13276 13277 13278 13279 13280 13281 13282 13283 13284 13285 13286 13287 13288 13289 13290 13291 13292 13293 13294 13295 13296 13297 13298 13299 13300 13301 13302 13303 13304 13305 13306 13307 13308 13309 13310 ... 33314 »
  Print  

Jump to: