May 02, 2024, 12:59:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14706 14707 14708 14709 14710 14711 14712 14713 14714 14715 14716 14717 14718 14719 14720 14721 14722 14723 14724 14725 14726 14727 14728 14729 14730 14731 14732 14733 14734 14735 14736 14737 14738 14739 14740 14741 14742 14743 14744 14745 14746 14747 14748 14749 14750 14751 14752 14753 14754 14755 [14756] 14757 14758 14759 14760 14761 14762 14763 14764 14765 14766 14767 14768 14769 14770 14771 14772 14773 14774 14775 14776 14777 14778 14779 14780 14781 14782 14783 14784 14785 14786 14787 14788 14789 14790 14791 14792 14793 14794 14795 14796 14797 14798 14799 14800 14801 14802 14803 14804 14805 14806 ... 33315 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26370868 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
yugo23

Activity: 476
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:10:43 AM

BIM! Under the 400 again! I knew it!!!

400 is jsut a too strong ceiling, can't be broken so fast ^^

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:12:27 AM

Fuck me.  It's hard to imagine a worse call.  Well, the market has spoken and the market always gets the last word.

I'm glad that you are willing to admit your bad call;  however, I always assert that we can really never know for sure the shortest term price direction unless we happen to be a whale that is able to push it with 10k or more coins  (and/or equivalent in dollars maybe on bitstamp?).

On the other hand, BTC prices had been lingering for so long in the upper $300s after the Hearn fiasco.. and then attempts at pushing it below $350 had really not been going anywhere... at least not yet... and also people seem to be kind of less convinced that there is any real material issue that is dragging down bitcoin as Hearn was arguing.... I mean seeing through the apparent propaganda...

So far this uptrend has not been on very high relative volume (at least from my perspective), so that causes me to believe that it could be put to a halt or reversed with some voluminous dumping (maybe 10k coins would be sufficient?)

That was way more than a 10,000 coin pump. The markets are connected, so pumping on one or two exchanges isn't enough if the others don't follow.  No, the market clearly believes that the miners will be able to convince and/or pressure Core into including a hardfork in the roadmap. I am nearly not so optimistic, but as Keynes said, markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

You may be correct that it will take more than 10K coins to stop a pump or reverse it, but when there is low volume, it seems to be much more possible to get such a stop of the pump or a reversal with a smaller number of coins..

I was just using 10k as a "for instance," and I understand that the amount of coins needed will vary case by case.
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:12:28 AM

pretty awesome that bitcoin resisted human induced inflation.

That's not even close to an accurate description of what happened. Cripplecore is resisting taking some armor off the truck to allow more cargo capacity. As a result we have an $8/transaction network.  Good luck winning any races with that.

If you had 10 MB blocks tomorrow morning, you'd still need 0.8$ in fees, per tx, to replenish lost subsidy income.

People are currently paying 0$ to 0.03$ (for first block inclusion) while "blocks are full", under the current 1 MB scheme. With the current fees, even with 100 MB blocks, and them being full, you'd still be unable to pay the subsidy loss (you'd need 0.08$ per tx). So you'd need something like 250MB blocks with the current fees. This makes it pretty obvious and simple: Fees have to rise.

If fees don't rise, then miners bail out and the network loses security. OR, some new "forkers" will come and say something retarded like "we want free txs forevah, so let us inflate the money quantity instead... why limit btc to 21mn coins? That's ...crippling to BTC... yeah, let's uncripple it by issuing a few hundred million more... we don't want to pay high tx fees you know... we prefer inflation".

Who gets the fees?

Who decides which transactions gets on the block?

Indeed. Just follow the money, it usually answers many questions.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:15:30 AM

So what do you do about the increasing adoption then? You just stop people from using btc?

Anyone can adopt bitcoin by paying the damned fees at market price.
Shills, saboteurs, trolls, academics, and useful idiots are invited to fork off.
Clear enough?
Dekker3D

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:19:40 AM

I don't necessarily disagree with you that there will be people that want more than 21m coins.

An argument like that will never be presented "we want more coins and high inflation for the lolz".

It will be presented as "we want cheap txs".... Arguments like "People want cheap txs, who are you to stop that".... Populist bullshit like "bigger blocks" and the "dangers" of "fullblockalypse".

There is no comparison between a hard fork to raise the blocksize and a hard fork to increase the 21 milion cap on supply. The former is a minor property that almost everyone agrees will need to be changed at some point. I owned Bitcoins for years before I even know there was a max blocksize.  I knew of the 21 MM limit before I bought my first coin.  

A slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

Dude increasing the 21 M limit and increasing the block size is the same thing.

What? Whaaaaaat?
I'm clearly not aware of that! What are you talking about? What's the link between block size and coins cap?

It is called instigating a _precedent_, changing a protocol parameter such as the 21M limit is 1 line of code, just like the blocksize limit.

Anyway, glad to see that such governance coup is impossible and that nobody, not even core can do anything about it.

Ah ok what he means is not that block size would mean more than 21millions coins but just that both are an important part of btc that shouldn't be changed.

So what do you do about the increasing adoption then? You just stop people from using btc?

Bitcoin will still be there and usable only that it will stop from increasing in volume. Usability wise, bitcoin is not being used in a major way yet. Most of the coins are kept and simply traded with USD/BTC. The increase in demand while the supply is not will make the bitcoin price go up but that won't happen in the near future yet so there are so many things that could still happen.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:20:50 AM

ledgerjournal is run by a charlatan.
bitcoin could not care less about academics circlejerkers

Who is this madman people keep talking about?

Peter R. Rizun is not a madman, but he has been taking a lot of flak in this debate.

It might be healthy to run an independant site if you find his approach a bit too enthusiastic.

In any event, bct users like hdbuck, iCEBREAKER and brg444 are not good sources of info or judgement.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:23:19 AM

I don't necessarily disagree with you that there will be people that want more than 21m coins.

An argument like that will never be presented "we want more coins and high inflation for the lolz".

It will be presented as "we want cheap txs".... Arguments like "People want cheap txs, who are you to stop that".... Populist bullshit like "bigger blocks" and the "dangers" of "fullblockalypse".

There is no comparison between a hard fork to raise the blocksize and a hard fork to increase the 21 milion cap on supply. The former is a minor property that almost everyone agrees will need to be changed at some point. I owned Bitcoins for years before I even know there was a max blocksize.  I knew of the 21 MM limit before I bought my first coin.  

A slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

What? Whaaaaaat?
I'm clearly not aware of that! What are you talking about? What's the link between block size and coins cap?

It is called instigating a _precedent_, changing a protocol parameter such as the 21M limit is 1 line of code, just like the blocksize limit.

Anyway, glad to see that such governance coup is impossible and that nobody, not even core can do anything about it.

Ah ok what he means is not that block size would mean more than 21millions coins but just that both are an important part of btc that shouldn't be changed.

Increasing adoption has nothing to do with blocksize cap, but the *trust* in the system to prevent any politicized human interference.

Adoption will follow the need to bypass traditional financial systems, even if it become more expensive to do so (it obviously should).

Nobody is forcing anyone in or out of bitcoin.

But by using Bitcoin you have abide to its protocol, and that is all.
fred930

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:23:23 AM

The Bitstamp price fell back below $400 down to $396. The pump to $410 was very fast and I thought it would run out of steam, but now I don't know what it will do. There's a wall at $392 and another at 382. Will it go through those walls or go back up past 400 again?
yugo23

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:33:18 AM

Anyone can adopt bitcoin by paying the damned fees at market price.
Shills, saboteurs, trolls, academics, and useful idiots are invited to fork off.
Clear enough?

Hmm... Perfectly clear yeah... As polite as usual from what I see...

But paying the fees is not the problem. I don't care about paying the fees. What I care about is that if there is more transactions that can be added into the block, the fees will only get higher until enough people refuse to pay them for the number of transactions to be small enough to get in the blocks no? Which means we can have only a limited amount of tx everyday... Limit already reached today with maybe 1 million bitcoiners! So how do you want to reach teh billion? That's impossible!

Did I miss something?
yugo23

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:35:55 AM

What? Whaaaaaat?

Increasing adoption has nothing to do with blocksize cap, but the *trust* in the system to prevent any politicized human interference.

Adoption will follow the need to bypass traditional financial systems, even if it become more expensive to do so (it obviously should).

Nobody is forcing anyone in or out of bitcoin.

But by using Bitcoin you have abide to its protocol, and that is all.

I'm not talking about coins cap but block size.

Block size = limit number of tx = limit number of bitcoiners no?
If you can't make more than X tx a day it means you can't have much more than X people using btc in their daily life... Which means you limit the adoption of bitcoin... Which means it will never be able to replace the fiat system.

I find it both sad and not compatible with the btc ideology. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something though.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 11:44:33 AM

What? Whaaaaaat?

This is a bullshit argument. See "slippery slope" reference above.  The only way miners would want to eliminate the 21MM cap is because they aren't getting enough in fees to remain profitable, which will be MORE likely to happen if those fees are going to third parties in sidechains and layers instead of them. 

Nobody else would want to increase total bitcoins as it would devalue their existing holdings.
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:44:57 AM

oh really? I'd like to hear an explanation. How the hell is it the same thing? It's not even remotely the same thing.

Indeed.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:57:34 AM

we can have only a limited amount of tx everyday... Limit already reached today with maybe 1 million bitcoiners! So how do you want to reach teh billion? That's impossible!

Did I miss something?

1. Limit is reached today thanks to the tons of dust due to low fees
2. Anyone can build systems on top of bitcoin to make instant and almost free transactions for micropayments and not only micro.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:01:01 PM

Coin

Explanation
yugo23

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:06:50 PM

we can have only a limited amount of tx everyday... Limit already reached today with maybe 1 million bitcoiners! So how do you want to reach teh billion? That's impossible!

Did I miss something?

2. Anyone can build systems on top of bitcoin to make instant and almost free transactions for micropayments and not only micro.

Well I don't have quantitative analysis for your one and didn't understand your two so...

Anyway limiting the number of tx everyday is a bit strange. Why not setting no limit but imposing a high fee? I don't care to pay a high fee, what I want is that bitcoin is used and might replace fiat one day!
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 12:15:48 PM

There's plenty of code, there's plenty of stubbornness, there's not enough analysis. The block size problem should have been dealt with two years ago. And if someone had done the legwork back then it would have been done two years ago. The one project trying to do this kind of stuff, ledgerjournal.org, is run by a fairly controversial member of the community. His project needs to be strengthened and there also needs to be different voices on the scene. If you want to make a difference in Bitcoin then this is a good entry point.

I didn't know about ledgerjournal, thanks.

ledgerjournal is run by a charlatan.
bitcoin could not care less about academics circlejerkers

hdbuck is very particular about the circles he jerks in.
Andre#

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:16:34 PM

What? Whaaaaaat?

But that precedent already exists, since the max blocksize was lowered from 33 MB to 1 MB in mid 2010. Hence, instigating a precendent is not a valid argument.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 12:23:35 PM

Did I miss something?

1. The network capacity is half a million transactions per day no matter how high the fees are. Fees don't change capacity.

2. If people are forced onto layers, then the fees that go to securing the network will go to the layers also, depriving the miners of needed compensation when the blockreward gets halved. If the 1 MB limit is never raised, then the network will eventually be funded by those same half million people even if billions are using it in layers and side chains.  That will present a security problem. 

extrapolating out hashing difficulty, the mining network in a couple of years will be several gigawatts, all funded by fees because the block reward will be next to nothing. That means that fees will have to reflect a cost of hundreds of dollars per transaction if we keep the 1 MB limit! 
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:24:54 PM

oh really? I'd like to hear an explanation. How the hell is it the same thing? It's not even remotely the same thing.

I explained it to you many times already but fine. Things (w/e they are) only have value if the supply is limited and they have a purpose. How limited something is determines it's value (together with its utility value). The block size at the moment is in limited supply (1 MB roughly every 10 minutes), so a place on that has a certain implied value (this will be the fee in the long term, right now it's not very visible because of the huge subsidy which skews actual fees). The value of the sum of the fees determines the amount of security because this is how the miners are paid (the miner market is a commodity market so it will approach break-even long term. Total fees will equal security). Therefore if the block size is increased the value of size on the block chain goes down and thus the amount miners get paid goes down and so does the security.

Security is the most important thing giving value to XMR units and so a lower security will lower the intrinsic value of Bitcoin.

Similarly increasing the 21M coin limit will also lower the intrinsic value of Bitcoin because it inflates the supply (more unit available).

Next to all this there is the precedent reasoning mentioned above. Right now I trust Bitcoin to never inflate supply of either limited unit (XMR or block chain size) and therefore value Bitcoin as such. If they inflate it I will be forced to estimate future watering down of XMR and blockchain size (and thus watering down of value) in my intrinsic value calculations and therefore I will be prepared to pay a lower price for Bitcoins as an investment. The market will do the same.
bargainbin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:31:03 PM

... Security is the most important thing giving value to XMR units and so a lower security will lower the intrinsic value of Bitcoin. ...

Good morning, everyone!
Pages: « 1 ... 14706 14707 14708 14709 14710 14711 14712 14713 14714 14715 14716 14717 14718 14719 14720 14721 14722 14723 14724 14725 14726 14727 14728 14729 14730 14731 14732 14733 14734 14735 14736 14737 14738 14739 14740 14741 14742 14743 14744 14745 14746 14747 14748 14749 14750 14751 14752 14753 14754 14755 [14756] 14757 14758 14759 14760 14761 14762 14763 14764 14765 14766 14767 14768 14769 14770 14771 14772 14773 14774 14775 14776 14777 14778 14779 14780 14781 14782 14783 14784 14785 14786 14787 14788 14789 14790 14791 14792 14793 14794 14795 14796 14797 14798 14799 14800 14801 14802 14803 14804 14805 14806 ... 33315 »
  Print  

Jump to: