May 02, 2024, 05:01:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14705 14706 14707 14708 14709 14710 14711 14712 14713 14714 14715 14716 14717 14718 14719 14720 14721 14722 14723 14724 14725 14726 14727 14728 14729 14730 14731 14732 14733 14734 14735 14736 14737 14738 14739 14740 14741 14742 14743 14744 14745 14746 14747 14748 14749 14750 14751 14752 14753 14754 [14755] 14756 14757 14758 14759 14760 14761 14762 14763 14764 14765 14766 14767 14768 14769 14770 14771 14772 14773 14774 14775 14776 14777 14778 14779 14780 14781 14782 14783 14784 14785 14786 14787 14788 14789 14790 14791 14792 14793 14794 14795 14796 14797 14798 14799 14800 14801 14802 14803 14804 14805 ... 33314 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26370691 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
ButtLava

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 09:46:23 AM

That's like saying "if the gays can get married, whats to stop people from marrying their pets!". How can you seriously compare raising the block size limit to a slippery slope of raising the total supply? Nobody wants to devalue their coins by creating more, but they DO want to increase the value in them by making them more accessible and liquid.

A forker can troll us with an argument of the following style:

"High tx fees reduce adoption, so we need low tx fees to increase adoption. If that doesn't happen, BTC is dead. So it's preferable to have more than 21mn coins through constant inflation rather than raising tx fees".

They could say "you are crippling BTC's potential through those high fees, we need much lower fees and in order to do that we need subsidy / more coins".

If people insist on having low-fee txs, then the end-game is a ...DOGEcoin (infinite inflation).

Higher fees solve both the inflation issue and also address the sane block utilization issue.

Fees at 1 to 3 cents are ridiculous anyway.

I don't necessarily disagree with you that there will be people that want more than 21m coins. However, 'trolling' does not move the economic majority into submission. They can say it all they want. It's not like anyone in particular will own bitcoins direction if theres a fork, not anymore than anyone owns its direction now. If the economic majority wants more coins it'll happen, regardless of whether it is 'big blockers', 'small blockers' or anyone else. But my guess is that would not happen, as I can't think of any situation where it would be logical to devalue your own coins by making more, when they are already practically infinitely divisible. People would rather divide their own and sell than create more.

I am still curious why did everyone get stuck on this 1mb value? I mean, like I said earlier, why not 1.2mb, or why not just 1 transaction per block if limiting it is the best? I'm just so confused why the current transactions per second limit became the magic number.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Laosai

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 09:47:31 AM

Is Blockstream working on one of those Turing complete scripting languages for smart contracts as a sidechain at all? Are they in competition with Ethereum?

imo, there is no need for a turing complete stack language for specialized use cases like smart contracts. this is bullshit and is coming from ethereum fanboys. security is the first target all other targets have to follow.

ethereum is a hype whithout a single proof in the wild so far.

I would say there is a use for that, that you're a bit harsh on eth here ^^

But that would be really strange to use btc for that. No need to complexify and corrupt the security of btc.

And this is why i'm neither a proponent for the segwit softfork.

I'm sorta tired with the upgrade rush.

Bitcoin is not a sprint, it is a marathon.

Agreed!

Not being able to scale to the adoption is not a real problem. Compromising the current security and potentially losing the trust of years of survival... Now that's what i call a problem.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 09:51:44 AM

I don't necessarily disagree with you that there will be people that want more than 21m coins.

An argument like that will never be presented "we want more coins and high inflation for the lolz".

It will be presented as "we want cheap txs".... Arguments like "People want cheap txs, who are you to stop that".... Populist bullshit like "bigger blocks" and the "dangers" of "fullblockalypse".
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 09:54:13 AM

I am still curious why did everyone get stuck on this 1mb value? I mean, like I said earlier, why not 1.2mb, or why not just 1 transaction per block if limiting it is the best? I'm just so confused why the current transactions per second limit became the magic number.

It's arbitrary really. Satoshi actually gave more room than necessary, but then again the fees paid back then were like 0.01.
valta4065

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Join @Bountycloud for the best bounties!

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:00:00 AM

I don't necessarily disagree with you that there will be people that want more than 21m coins.

An argument like that will never be presented "we want more coins and high inflation for the lolz".

It will be presented as "we want cheap txs".... Arguments like "People want cheap txs, who are you to stop that".... Populist bullshit like "bigger blocks" and the "dangers" of "fullblockalypse".

Bah, by the time no more coins are mined the technologies will have change so much... How can anyone predict what will seem a good idea then? ^^
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1759

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:01:04 AM

Coin

Explanation
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 10:06:12 AM

So basically you smallblockers are saying you WANT to pay $8/transaction. The road map shows that capacity will only increase at some point in the future when power consumption also increases, maintaining the high cost. 

That's absolutely crazy.  There may be a demand for what amounts to a wire transfer of gold bars, but it's a tiny market compared to payments, remittances, title xfers, micropayments, etc.

How secure is the network going to be with all of the fees going to third parties on the layers rather than to the miners? Think about it: when the block reward gets quartered (two halvings), those miners will need those fees or network security will be harmed.

Keeping blocks small will HURT security.

ButtLava

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:11:02 AM

It's arbitrary really. Satoshi actually gave more room than necessary, but then again the fees paid back then were like 0.01.

That's what I was thinking, it seems 1mb was just a nice round number for him to pick at the time.

This is why I can't understand where all this contention is coming from. It seems out of left field for me. I run a software company, which we will be exiting this year (assuming all goes well), and I just can't fathom the stubbornness on the function of this single value that seems totally arbitrary. I would be running analysis, bug testing, etc, every possible iteration of that number. Perhaps even writing a simulation to see how the change of the number would effect network performance, hash rates, probably miner dropout, etc. I've been considering what I will do with my time when I exit my current company, and it seems likely that it will be bitcoin related. And I'm starting to wonder if I should just contribute code directly or work on the analysis side of things. I'd love to submit code but it seems the stubbornness is a harder problem to solve than the technical hurdles Tongue
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 10:14:17 AM

There is no comparison between a hard fork to raise the blocksize and a hard fork to increase the 21 milion cap on supply. The former is a minor property that almost everyone agrees will need to be changed at some point. I owned Bitcoins for years before I even know there was a max blocksize.  I knew of the 21 MM limit before I bought my first coin.  

A slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:18:14 AM

There is no comparison between a hard fork to raise the blocksize and a hard fork to increase the 21 milion cap on supply. The former is a minor property that almost everyone agrees will need to be changed at some point. I owned Bitcoins for years before I even know there was a max blocksize.  I knew of the 21 MM limit before I bought my first coin.  

A slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

Dude increasing the 21 M limit and increasing the block size is the same thing.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:19:09 AM

So basically you smallblockers are saying you WANT to pay $8/transaction. The road map shows that capacity will only increase at some point in the future when power consumption also increases, maintaining the high cost. 

That's absolutely crazy.  There may be a demand for what amounts to a wire transfer of gold bars, but it's a tiny market compared to payments, remittances, title xfers, micropayments, etc.

How secure is the network going to be with all of the fees going to third parties on the layers rather than to the miners? Think about it: when the block reward gets quartered (two halvings), those miners will need those fees or network security will be harmed.

Keeping blocks small will HURT security.

Yes I want to pay $8 per transaction (more even). It's worth the security.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:20:49 AM

That's what I was thinking, it seems 1mb was just a nice round number for him to pick at the time.

This is why I can't understand where all this contention is coming from. It seems out of left field for me. I run a software company, which we will be exiting this year (assuming all goes well), and I just can't fathom the stubbornness on the function of this single value that seems totally arbitrary. I would be running analysis, bug testing, etc, every possible iteration of that number. Perhaps even writing a simulation to see how the change of the number would effect network performance, hash rates, probably miner dropout, etc. I've been considering what I will do with my time when I exit my current company, and it seems likely that it will be bitcoin related. And I'm starting to wonder if I should just contribute code directly or work on the analysis side of things. I'd love to submit code but it seems the stubbornness is a harder problem to solve than the technical hurdles Tongue

There's plenty of code, there's plenty of stubbornness, there's not enough analysis. The block size problem should have been dealt with two years ago. And if someone had done the legwork back then it would have been done two years ago. The one project trying to do this kind of stuff, ledgerjournal.org, is run by a fairly controversial member of the community. His project needs to be strengthened and there also needs to be different voices on the scene. If you want to make a difference in Bitcoin then this is a good entry point.
ButtLava

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:26:46 AM

There's plenty of code, there's plenty of stubbornness, there's not enough analysis. The block size problem should have been dealt with two years ago. And if someone had done the legwork back then it would have been done two years ago. The one project trying to do this kind of stuff, ledgerjournal.org, is run by a fairly controversial member of the community. His project needs to be strengthened and there also needs to be different voices on the scene. If you want to make a difference in Bitcoin then this is a good entry point.

I didn't know about ledgerjournal, thanks.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:30:13 AM

I didn't know about ledgerjournal, thanks.

ledgerjournal is run by a charlatan.
bitcoin could not care less about academics circlejerkers
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 10:33:15 AM

Just checking in on the block size debate thread. All solved yet?
valta4065

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Join @Bountycloud for the best bounties!

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:49:41 AM

What? Whaaaaaat?
I'm clearly not aware of that! What are you talking about? What's the link between block size and coins cap?
ButtLava

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:53:16 AM

ledgerjournal is run by a charlatan.
bitcoin could not care less about academics circlejerkers

Who is this madman people keep talking about?
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:53:35 AM

What? Whaaaaaat?
I'm clearly not aware of that! What are you talking about? What's the link between block size and coins cap?

It is called instigating a _precedent_, changing a protocol parameter such as the 21M limit is 1 line of code, just like the blocksize limit.

Anyway, glad to see that such governance coup is impossible and that nobody, not even core can do anything about it.
yugo23

Activity: 476
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:58:02 AM

What? Whaaaaaat?

It is called instigating a _precedent_, changing a protocol parameter such as the 21M limit is 1 line of code, just like the blocksize limit.

Anyway, glad to see that such governance coup is impossible and that nobody, not even core can do anything about it.

Ah ok what he means is not that block size would mean more than 21millions coins but just that both are an important part of btc that shouldn't be changed.

So what do you do about the increasing adoption then? You just stop people from using btc?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1759

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:01:20 AM

Coin

Explanation
Pages: « 1 ... 14705 14706 14707 14708 14709 14710 14711 14712 14713 14714 14715 14716 14717 14718 14719 14720 14721 14722 14723 14724 14725 14726 14727 14728 14729 14730 14731 14732 14733 14734 14735 14736 14737 14738 14739 14740 14741 14742 14743 14744 14745 14746 14747 14748 14749 14750 14751 14752 14753 14754 [14755] 14756 14757 14758 14759 14760 14761 14762 14763 14764 14765 14766 14767 14768 14769 14770 14771 14772 14773 14774 14775 14776 14777 14778 14779 14780 14781 14782 14783 14784 14785 14786 14787 14788 14789 14790 14791 14792 14793 14794 14795 14796 14797 14798 14799 14800 14801 14802 14803 14804 14805 ... 33314 »
  Print  

Jump to: