April 28, 2024, 11:17:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 30678 30679 30680 30681 30682 30683 30684 30685 30686 30687 30688 30689 30690 30691 30692 30693 30694 30695 30696 30697 30698 30699 30700 30701 30702 30703 30704 30705 30706 30707 30708 30709 30710 30711 30712 30713 30714 30715 30716 30717 30718 30719 30720 30721 30722 30723 30724 30725 30726 30727 [30728] 30729 30730 30731 30732 30733 30734 30735 30736 30737 30738 30739 30740 30741 30742 30743 30744 30745 30746 30747 30748 30749 30750 30751 30752 30753 30754 30755 30756 30757 30758 30759 30760 30761 30762 30763 30764 30765 30766 30767 30768 30769 30770 30771 30772 30773 30774 30775 30776 30777 30778 ... 33305 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368836 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Gachapin

Activity: 896
Merit: 1848

bitcoin retard

View Profile
June 09, 2022, 11:18:19 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2022, 11:36:07 PM by Gachapin

This just in: price will be much lower tomorrow. Scientifically confirmed and guaranteed. That's all.

Thank god... I thought we'd never go up again..
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
death_wish

Activity: 70
Merit: 320

Take profit in BTC. Account PnL in BTC. BTC=money.

View Profile
June 09, 2022, 11:18:42 PM

This just in: price will be much lower tomorrow. Scientifically confirmed and guaranteed. That's all.

Cry

This means that Bitcoin will rocket off to $100k before I can even free up my sad, mutilated remainder of a bitcoin, and then $1 million as I struggle helplessly to build up a whole 1.0 BTC again.

Scientifically confirmed and guaranteed.

proudhon, you stupid llama, would you please go back to predicting $70k before the end of the month, or whatever?  Thanks.  I need some breathing room here.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
June 09, 2022, 11:20:27 PM
Merited by xhomerx10 (1), JayJuanGee (1)

Thank you for the short punchy note proudhon.  Nice and to the point.

Aleks Svetski often writes very interesting stuff.  In his latest article (link below) he rolls several nice themes all together.  

-- Past, present and future
-- The Bible, the Vedic Samhitas and the Tao Te Ching
-- Fiat and lies...
-- “show don’t tell”
-- Bitcoin vs. shitcoin

Please don't miss the image of "The Helth Ministers"!  <--- [A fine example of a "Double Sic"]

A short passage I much enjoyed:

"Bitcoin is like the Old Testament God, in that it is a consequential god. There is no free lunch, nor ignorance of sin or error. You pay the price for mistakes, but if you heed them and adapt, you shall find that “God is good.”"

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/culture/bitcoin-shows-you-not-tell-you
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
June 09, 2022, 11:29:10 PM

Was your May rally to $70k confirmed by math and bad science? I can't understand how you got it wrong.

I think we really could see $70k this month.

Gachapin

Activity: 896
Merit: 1848

bitcoin retard

View Profile
June 09, 2022, 11:30:18 PM

I tend to agree....

"bitcoin seems a bit undervalued..."

https://twitter.com/100trillionUSD/status/1534946812506918919?cxt=HHwWjsC-ycr_nM0qAAAA

ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 12:03:36 AM

Explanation
death_wish

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 12:09:01 AM

[...]

-- The Bible, the Vedic Samhitas and the Tao Te Ching

[...]

"Bitcoin is like the Old Testament God, in that it is a consequential god. There is no free lunch, nor ignorance of sin or error. You pay the price for mistakes, but if you heed them and adapt, you shall find that “God is good.”"

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/culture/bitcoin-shows-you-not-tell-you

To put this as delicately as I can, with gross understatement:  It does not help with the “Bitcoin is a cult” meme.

Yes, I sometimes speak of Bitcoin in quasi-religious terms.  I am clearly satirizing and spoofing the nocoiner criticism that “Bitcoin is a cult”.  I am having fun:  Ridiculing the nocoiner notion that I am in some sort of a cult, and also taking a self-deprecating comedic look at myself as a zealous Bitcoiner.  If I couldn’t laugh about this, I think there would be something wrong with me.

This scribbler is serious. Roll Eyes

The Bible, The Vedic Samhitas, The Tao Te Ching and all of the great written works of religion are methods of helping illuminate “the way.”
Linked, by the same author:
Bitcoin, Personality And Development Part Four — Bitcoin, Religion And Morality

Aleksandar Svetski
Jun 6, 2022

[...]

We’re going to close this chapter out by reviewing Bitcoin’s relationship to religion, the Bible, and its semblance to Old Testament God through the reintroduction to economic consequence.

[...]

And is further echoed by Dr. Peterson in Chapter 4 of his book “12 Rules For Life”:

[...]

Now here’s the mind-blowing part:

Bitcoin is a new form of religion (and thus chapter in human history) [...]

Some of his other propositions (not quoted here) seem to be plagiarism of things written by others—an inferior rip-off.

Much of the rest comes off as “pitching the woo”.  It is repulsive to any rational thinker.

Once again, Bitcoin is a manifestation of faith. [...]

To believe that Bitcoin can win, is to have faith in the capacity for goodness to prevail. [...]

A belief in Bitcoin requires something more than empiricism. [...]

“You might start by not thinking — or, more accurately, but less trenchantly, by refusing to subjugate your faith to your current rationality, and its narrowness of view. This doesn’t mean ‘make yourself stupid.’ It means the opposite. It means instead that you must quit maneuvering and calculating and conniving and scheming and enforcing and demanding and avoiding and ignoring and punishing. It means you must place your old strategies aside. It means, instead, that you must pay attention, as you may never have paid attention before.”

If I gave a damn for this author’s opinion, I would dump BTC after reading that.

As it is, I need to struggle with the damage that this sort of nonsense causes.  I already have enough problems explaining to nocoiners, and even to other Bitcoiners, why I am emotionally attached to money—why I mix idealism and passions with cut-and-dry business—why I sometimes knowingly make self-harming financial decisions that are economically irrational, in the game-theoretic sense of a “rational actor”.

And if I were to dump Bitcoin at $31k $30,500, and the bottom was already in - eh, you guessed it. ☠️

So, bearing in mind that I am not strictly rational about BTC in the sense of "an economically rational actor", what is the least-bad choice?
Heater, you were right.  In retrospect, it came to pass that your advice, which I rejected, could have saved me significant BTC.  Thank you for your time and thoughtfulness.  Unfortunately, as I told Jay somewhere, I am not an "economically rational actor" about Bitcoin.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 12:11:26 AM
Merited by xhomerx10 (1), JayJuanGee (1), DdmrDdmr (1), fr4nkthetank (1), nanobtc (1), arcmetal (1)

OK.... What the fuck?

Satoshi Nakamoto wrote production software that has stood up to 13 years of the most difficult pressure a production distributed database could possibly...

... no wait a moment.  That sentence is so amazing already that it can't just be wrapped up with a few more nouns and adjectives.  He invented a trust minimized distributed database.  That in itself is miraculous.  It had never been done before.  And now that it is done, it cannot be reproduced very easily at all.

He knew he had one shot to get it.

And calling it "production software"?  Well it IS that.  But on a level unlike just about anything else in "production".  I suppose software that runs the power grid.  Or perhaps the firmware that runs certain sorts of medical equipment or systems, might come close....

It is art.  But this is not like some moving still life painted by a master.  It's the damned Sistine Chapel.

This is as believable that one person has actually done this, as someone having invented a time machine.  These things don't just work.  You don't spend a weekend typing furiously and coming out with software that will change the world... just like that... version 0.1.

Yes.  There have been bugs.  And there have been tweaks, AND improvements.  AND there are things that could have been different.  Questions that still hang in the air.  Will the disappearing block reward matter?  Will quantum computers break SHA2? Is Craig Wright gay?  Only time will tell.

But consider the ridiculous amount of thought that had to have gone into making something this perfect.  This perfectly balanced.

Who tested it?  Where is the version that crashed.  The version that people played with for a few months before they found the flaw.  Before they figured out a way to profit unfairly.  Right.  That never happened.  The cheaters had to write new software to pull that off... Bitcoin was incorruptible.

A wise man once said "Quick, no time for explanations... give me your pants."

That is, in my humble opinion, as close as anyone has ever come to explaining how this is even POSSIBLE in the first place.
death_wish

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 12:19:01 AM
Merited by cAPSLOCK (1)

Will quantum computers break SHA2?

No.  (They would, however, break the elliptic curve cryptography that Bitcoin uses for digital signatures.)

I’m not sure what the point was for the rest of that post.  I simply wanted to correct a technical misconception, as I not infrequently do in the technical forum.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 01:03:28 AM

Explanation
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 02:04:54 AM

Explanation
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7768

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2022, 02:21:00 AM

Rephrase what I said, according to its context:  In the hypothetical event of a total ban, >99% of people here could be easily stopped from using Bitcoin.

for anyone of us in the USA (you know, land of the "free") a government ban would certainly stop almost all of us in their tracks. even if youre not kyc'd anywhere, use tor, decentralized exchanges etc i would wager they would find out anyway. maybe if you live totally off the grid and never go near civilization it could be done but thats not for me. call me a wimp or whatever, i need modern society to live comfortably. especially modern medicine.

understand: i HATE kyc and the government snooping in our business to the point they just hoover all info they can to store and analyze  for "security/terrorism/etc" purposes even when its not currently useful. as they can always make some law in the future and look back at all that collected data to retroactively get you on some law that doesnt even exist right now. 

look, i will mess with a lot of things but one entity i wont mess with is the irs. they have NO sense of humor. makes me glad i did not hide my btc gains even before the irs targeted it. call me a wimp but thats what we here in the USA need to do to exist in peace.

bleh.

In the USA you could mine to an address and never touch it.

I kyc everything fully transparent and I now did an LLC with buysolar. I had a schedule c but turning 65 and wanting to still work my accountant advised using an account with the business name on it for bitcointalk.

Thus the new account vs philipma1957.  Thinking BTC is truly private and stealthy holds back its adoption as that is my opinion.

phil (or LLC2022), you seem to mix a few things (anything below is not an advice, consult CPA):
1. btctalk and business are two different "things" that don't have to be related, lol.
2. If it is a one member LLC, then taxes are being channeled to your INDIVIDUAL 1040. If LLC has more than one member, then it is more like a corp, which has both advantages and disadvantages.
3. You can very well mine to an account, but still record it and pay proper taxes on all proceeds (after accounting for expenses).

I sell a lot of gear .

I wont be selling with this account.

I will be using the LLC account to sell from now on.

I did a schedule c and used philipma1957 to sell here and on ebay for years and years and years.

I will not be doing a schedule c with the two person LLC .

I will be closing the schedule c business.

So since I have sold 10s of thousands of gear in the past I want zero confusion when I sell off a lot of gear.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 02:47:33 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2022, 04:33:40 AM by Biodom
Merited by vapourminer (1), JayJuanGee (1)

Rephrase what I said, according to its context:  In the hypothetical event of a total ban, >99% of people here could be easily stopped from using Bitcoin.

for anyone of us in the USA (you know, land of the "free") a government ban would certainly stop almost all of us in their tracks. even if youre not kyc'd anywhere, use tor, decentralized exchanges etc i would wager they would find out anyway. maybe if you live totally off the grid and never go near civilization it could be done but thats not for me. call me a wimp or whatever, i need modern society to live comfortably. especially modern medicine.

understand: i HATE kyc and the government snooping in our business to the point they just hoover all info they can to store and analyze  for "security/terrorism/etc" purposes even when its not currently useful. as they can always make some law in the future and look back at all that collected data to retroactively get you on some law that doesnt even exist right now.  

look, i will mess with a lot of things but one entity i wont mess with is the irs. they have NO sense of humor. makes me glad i did not hide my btc gains even before the irs targeted it. call me a wimp but thats what we here in the USA need to do to exist in peace.

bleh.

In the USA you could mine to an address and never touch it.

I kyc everything fully transparent and I now did an LLC with buysolar. I had a schedule c but turning 65 and wanting to still work my accountant advised using an account with the business name on it for bitcointalk.

Thus the new account vs philipma1957.  Thinking BTC is truly private and stealthy holds back its adoption as that is my opinion.

phil (or LLC2022), you seem to mix a few things (anything below is not an advice, consult CPA):
1. btctalk and business are two different "things" that don't have to be related, lol.
2. If it is a one member LLC, then taxes are being channeled to your INDIVIDUAL 1040. If LLC has more than one member, then it is more like a corp, which has both advantages and disadvantages.
3. You can very well mine to an account, but still record it and pay proper taxes on all proceeds (after accounting for expenses).

I sell a lot of gear .

I wont be selling with this account.

I will be using the LLC account to sell from now on.

I did a schedule c and used philipma1957 to sell here and on ebay for years and years and years.

I will not be doing a schedule c with the two person LLC .

I will be closing the schedule c business.

So since I have sold 10s of thousands of gear in the past I want zero confusion when I sell off a lot of gear.

All I was saying is that it would complicate your return, perhaps.
It's much more 'involved' than a single person LLC.
You would have to decide if you want to be a C-corp or a S-corp. If S-corp, then "owners need to draw a reasonable salary".
You would also need an "operating agreement".
Your CPA can probably fetch all that info, but here is something to start:

https://www.upcounsel.com/two-member-llc

EDIT: if the second person in LLC is your wife, then it is even more complicated (depending on in which state the LLC was formed).
In 9 states an LLC with wife is treated as a single member LLC (with simplified tax treatment). New Jersey is NOT a community property state, but Nevada and Texas are.
BTW, you don't have to form LLC in your home state; in fact, many are formed in Nevada for some reason.
CPA should know all this and, perhaps, already informed you. Good luck!
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 03:01:24 AM

Explanation
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 04:04:54 AM

Explanation
death_wish

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 04:14:01 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

I am here because of ideals that I have put before profit for years, to my own detriment—a habit that I have been trying to change, thus far without success.

I am here because after long study and excogitation, I concluded that Bitcoin offers some slender hope of solving dire economic, social, and political problems for which I know of no other solution.  When I behave as an economically irrational actor, it is only because I rationally value that over the size of my own wallet.

I am not here for evangelical sermons about “faith”.  Frankly, it is not something with which I want to associate myself.  Not at all.  Not when it is serious.

I also observe that religions are poor financial investments—except for their promoters, who get rich off of them.  For comparison, last I heard, it cost about $300k in total to “go clear” in Scientology.

That said, I doubt that Mircea Popescu ever got rich—his wild claims to the contrary notwithstanding.  For the newbies:  That was the last time I saw someone try to build a serious Bitcoin cult.  In the Bitcoin microcosm, MP got some traction and some followers around 2013–2017, or thereabouts.  What disturbs me is to see this one published in Bitcoin Magazine.

This is not a criticism of Bitcoin.  (Protip:  Bitcoin does not consist of the opinions of a few mad hatters in WO.)

This is me making a clear public statement of my position—to preserve my own reputation, in case this particular discussion is ever found and linked to any of my other pseudonyms.  I do not wish to be associated with “Bitcoin is a religion” stuff—not when it’s not fun-and-funny!—not when it is so deadly serious that believers lash out at me for criticizing it.  I do not wish to make myself look like a lunatic.

The Internet never forgets.

Who tested it?  Where is the version that crashed.  The version that people played with for a few months before they found the flaw.

You must be new to Bitcoin.  Eventually, you will learn the Bitcoin lore.

The early versions of Bitcoin were riddled with flaws.  It took years to refine Bitcoin into what it is now.

If you want one specific flaw, try this:  >184 billion BTC were created out of thin air on August 15, 2010.  It took more than “a few months” to shake that out:  Someone exploited it 1 year, 7 months after the Bitcoin software was first published.  It was a very basic integer overflow bug, nothing special.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Value_overflow_incident

OK, how about a crash?  On March 12, 2013, Bitcoin suffered an accidental hardfork that qualifies as a crash of the whole network, IMO.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0050.mediawiki

As of 2022, IMO, the underlying cause of that crash has still not been fixed:  The consensus code is married to specific versions of database libraries, to avoid breaking like that again.  I call that a workaround, not a proper fix.  There are various proposals and research projects that could properly fix the problem—maybe someday.

Transaction malleability was a severe design flaw.  I have mentioned it several times.  Although it cannot be exploited alone, it was leveraged in practice to build exploits stealing money from poorly-designed, insecure services; early Bitcoin was chock full of idiots who didn’t know what the hell they were doing, such as the idiot who ran Mt. Gox.  Worse:  Transaction malleability completely prevents the secure construction of whole classes of systems that can be built on top of Bitcoin, including but not limited to the Lightning Network.

Segwit fixed transaction malleability, for Segwit transactions only; it can’t be fixed altogether without a hardfork.  One of the major reasons for my wrath at Bcashers was that they wanted for Bitcoin to be stuck with this design-level security flaw.

Overall, indeed, I draw a bright line at Segwit:  Segwit activation was when Bitcoin matured.  Before Segwit, Bitcoin was high-risk experimental software—sort of like much of defi today.  After Segwit, Bitcoin became world-class, institutional-grade serious financial software.  Although the maturation of Bitcoin was much fuzzier and more prolonged, I focus on Segwit because it was a huge improvement—much moreso even than most Bitcoiners realize (or will acknowledge).

I am a bit nonplussed at some people’s criticism of Saylor for having dismissed Bitcoin in 2013.  Whatever his reasons may have been, I myself admit that Bitcoin had credibility problems before the Segwit activation in 2017; and it was not unreasonable for Saylor to wait until 2020 before jumping in with large amounts of money.  In 2013, it wasn’t wrong to decline the risk—just as in 2009, 2013, or 2016, it also wasn’t wrong for some early adopters with high risk tolerance to take risks on an experimental-quality financial network.

Satoshi advanced the state of the art:  He solved in theory and in practice a seemingly impossible problem, the prevention of double-spends without a central authority.  But it was Core that made the system production-quality.  I would not entrust billions of dollars worth of value to Satoshi’s original code (LOL).

Moreover, in my extremely not-humble opinion, the greatest single practical contribution by Bitcoin to security as a process was Gitian (now deprecated).  That started in 2011, after Satoshi disappeared.  It was a practical answer to “Reflections on trusting trust” (Thompson, 1984).  Bitcoin developers were some of the pioneers here; nowadays, Reproducible Builds are an industry best practice for secure open-source software.

OK.... What the fuck?

Satoshi Nakamoto wrote production software that has stood up to 13 years of the most difficult pressure a production distributed database could possibly...
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4460

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 04:47:59 AM
Merited by death_wish (1)

proudhon, you stupid llama...

Please don't confuse alpacas with llamas.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 05:04:54 AM

Explanation
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 06:03:34 AM

Explanation
ImThour
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1512

Bitcoin Bottom was at $15.4k

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 06:33:39 AM

https://twitter.com/RsiBitcoin/status/1535147312900517889
Pages: « 1 ... 30678 30679 30680 30681 30682 30683 30684 30685 30686 30687 30688 30689 30690 30691 30692 30693 30694 30695 30696 30697 30698 30699 30700 30701 30702 30703 30704 30705 30706 30707 30708 30709 30710 30711 30712 30713 30714 30715 30716 30717 30718 30719 30720 30721 30722 30723 30724 30725 30726 30727 [30728] 30729 30730 30731 30732 30733 30734 30735 30736 30737 30738 30739 30740 30741 30742 30743 30744 30745 30746 30747 30748 30749 30750 30751 30752 30753 30754 30755 30756 30757 30758 30759 30760 30761 30762 30763 30764 30765 30766 30767 30768 30769 30770 30771 30772 30773 30774 30775 30776 30777 30778 ... 33305 »
  Print  

Jump to: