April 25, 2024, 04:25:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 22629 22630 22631 22632 22633 22634 22635 22636 22637 22638 22639 22640 22641 22642 22643 22644 22645 22646 22647 22648 22649 22650 22651 22652 22653 22654 22655 22656 22657 22658 22659 22660 22661 22662 22663 22664 22665 22666 22667 22668 22669 22670 22671 22672 22673 22674 22675 22676 22677 22678 [22679] 22680 22681 22682 22683 22684 22685 22686 22687 22688 22689 22690 22691 22692 22693 22694 22695 22696 22697 22698 22699 22700 22701 22702 22703 22704 22705 22706 22707 22708 22709 22710 22711 22712 22713 22714 22715 22716 22717 22718 22719 22720 22721 22722 22723 22724 22725 22726 22727 22728 22729 ... 33301 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367800 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 01:38:26 AM
Merited by Syke (1)

gee

aren't boobs great?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 01:40:49 AM

I didn't mean it was gonna happen now goddamn, we got a year

I did notice that Hairy gave you (V8) a full year for BTC to bottom below $3,122 - and that two month extension seems highly unnecessary, because if BTC price is going to break below $3,122, then it is very likely to accomplish such break before 2020.  Does not matter anyhow, it is your bet (of course observed by the WObservers).  Probably, currently, I would give a slight advantage to you, V8, to win the bet.  Maybe 52%-ish?  But what do I know?   Wink Cheesy

What does anyone now..............................

I know that I don't know.

You probably outperform most of the folks @the forum .....  Wink

Kind words that don't mean shit considering most of the folks at Bitcointalk are sig spammers/shitposters that wouldn't know a Bitcoin if it bite their arses Tongue

Also I lost my "touch". Nowadays I almost don't trade and just contemplate and wait for a clear signal that doesn't come.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 01:47:08 AM

Good luck on your bet gentleman. May the best bottom win.

Or we could just ignore him as irrelevant

The problem with that is the new born fish. They'll most likely fall for it and bite.
Gives BTC a bad reputation.
Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away.

I have never had a problem so big I couldn’t run away from it.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4864

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 01:56:51 AM

Someone just paid 2100 ETH for transaction fees.

That is over $300,000 spent to transfer $15.

Did they mistaken the fee with sending value?

https://twitter.com/AlecZiupsnys/status/1097876988835102720

?? ?? Huh

It seems more like money laundering than a mistake https://twitter.com/trainface/status/1097915410069053440

I had a quick peek at those wallets and it does look like they are shuffling around alot of coins.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 02:08:16 AM

I like to think he ritually destroyed his keys.

That's an option indeed.
Another option would be to share/give/donate it back to the world when the time is right*.

*. Before he dies, or when BTC takes over fiat.  Grin

It is also possible (I don't believe this) that he could have them in reserve to use if he ever wanted to destroy his creation.
Sometimes you need a built in kill switch. Smiley
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10148

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 02:09:59 AM

Probably because ETH is moving from a POW (proof of work) to a PoS (proof of stake) consensus algorithm with a minimum of 32 ETH required to stake, and a lot of people are buying it at these low prices so that they can start staking soon

This has been said for forever, still nothing. I doubt anything will change.

LOL.
POW is where workers rule.
POS is where rent seekers rule.
You can never create sustainable economy where rent seekers rule!
Ethereum was created as a coin of the people that don't understand monetary theory by the people that don't understand monetary theory for the people that don't understand monetary theory!

In other words, POS and ethereum is/are a ponzi scheme...

Can make a lot of money, as long as you are in early...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Personally, I am not interested in playing such a game, but there is about 99% of the world's population that has not yet been tapped, and plenty of them would like to attempt to get rich quick and don't mind gambling to attempt such richness, especially if they don't know what they do not know.
POW is the exact same thing,

This very statement causes me to speculate that you have little to no clue about what is bitcoin, and even though I don't claim to be any kind expert, especially when it comes to certain technical aspects of bitcoin, since I started in bitcoin, I have always had a bit of an understanding that POW tends to be the heart and soul of bitcoin's innovation that causes it's ability to progress towards sound money, which includes decentralization and censorship resistance - that are not mere platitudes because NO other coin comes even close to have those attributes and the solidness of the varying bitcoin (7 according to trace mayer) network effects.

I am not trying to be patronizing, but you seem to have a pretty decent knowledge gap (or drinking the wrong koolaid) if you are jumping through rationalizing hoops in an attempt to equate POW and POS.

why do you think early miners get the worm, hell same with all investments.

Early miners "get the worm" or strive to get the worm for a variety of reasons, and likely those reasons changed over time, depending upon how "early" is the miner.  People seem to get disgruntled about the concept of the early miner knowing more and getting in on the deal, before others even knew about bitcoin... surely there are problems with distribution, but miners (including early miners) are not the whole package when it comes to bitcoin distribution, either.    There has been a bitcoin market price, that was nearly zero, in the beginning, so you would not need to mine bitcoin in order to get a shitload of them, early on... and you would not even had to have been early on, since 6 years later, in late 2015, you could have easily picked up a decent stash of BTC in the mid $250s, and well under $1k per BTC until early 2017.

The earliest of miners (talking Satoshi and Hal Finney and perhaps a few others that started mining in 2009 and 2010) were likely really curious by the mere technology of the bitcoin matter, and really bitcoin did not really have any market price during that early time, either.  Yet the thinking of miners on the bitcoin topic likely varied and likely evolved as more and more started coming into bitcoin and early became less early and became more diverse including developing ideas about speculating about future BTC price and just merely contributing to such a paradigm shifting dynamic (hoping also to either profit with their participation or at least to be able to break even pay for their mining expenses along the way).

Early makes it big, that's not Ponzi you think you would figure that the fuck out when in crypto people were calling Bitcoin a Ponzi.

Yeah, of course, people have been calling bitcoin a ponzi for various reasons along the way, but you don't need to buy into that kind of erroneous thinking in order to attempt to equate POW with POS..  And, yes, there has ben some false preconception and jealously to characterize early bitcoin adopters as being in a ponzi scheme because they have been able to accumulate more BTC than later adopters, but so fucking what?  The fact that stupid-ass people place bitcoin into that category based on a kind of superficial understanding does not make POW similar to POS, in practice.

It seems that you, kingcolex, need to study a bit more about what is bitcoin, if you want to argue that kind of a dumb-ass POW is equal to POS assertion.

I don't claim to understand a lot about bitcoin, but I do understand that POS does not really add much of anything of value to any of the cryptos that have it or want to add it to their shit coin project, and a major part of bitcoin's whole contribution as a paradigm shifting invention is centered around POW which is quite distinguishable from POS and traditional fiat system.. and your attempt to convolute the matter (or not able to recognize what is POW) seems to demonstrate a decently large gap in your own appreciation and perhaps knowledge of what bitcoin is, including what is POW and how it sufficiently differs from POS.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 02:13:34 AM

^ Every growing investment is indistinguishable from a Ponzi.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 02:16:26 AM

Probably because ETH is moving from a POW (proof of work) to a PoS (proof of stake) consensus algorithm with a minimum of 32 ETH required to stake, and a lot of people are buying it at these low prices so that they can start staking soon

LOL.
Ethereum was created as a coin of the people that don't understand monetary theory by the people that don't understand monetary theory for the people that don't understand monetary theory!

I agree, however, I worry that current rent seekers (which are dominant in the current economy) will simply transplant themselves onto POS, thereby strengthening it.

So?  How long will it take for their ponzi to play out?  They can keep it going for 20 to 50 years, yet half of the battle is recognizing the POS as a propped up ponzi scheme that is not much different from fiat... On an individual level maybe you hedge some of your value into that situation, but if you recognize the true value as POW, and you largely invest in POW, then likely you are going to experience value appreciation in your POW investment.  The snake oil salesmen are not likely going to make it easy for you to distinguish the real value from the snake oil, right?

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 02:21:30 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2019, 02:38:10 AM by Hueristic

ETH has another hardfork scheduled in the coming days?

from what I understand (I don't follow this shitcoin) first I think was supposed to be Casper and that failed then Constantinople(?) and that turns out to have a unresolveable logic error that got it pulled at the last minute so (P)iece (O)f (S)Hit ETH is still just Piece of shit (L)ite right now.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 7962

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 02:31:20 AM

Why doesn't anyone seem know that the B is supposed to have a 13.8888888888888... degree tilt to it?! I mean if you're going to promote something you should know something about it shouldn't you? That sticker is tilting in the wrong direction and could possibly represent beecash.  This sort of thing saddens me.

I do not think that people who do not know what bitcoin will remember the angle of its slope. But they will remember the symbol for sure.

That's exactly what Roger Ver is banking on.  He has co-opted Bitcoin, owns the Bitcoin.com domain uses the bitcoin symbol same colour but different angle... even has a Badger wallet for beecash.  Honey Badger dont give a fuck but I dont like it.

Forget the whole angle thing.  Roger Ver does not own a particular angle.  It is all bullshit.  But if Roger Ver was not making this particular attack, then someone else would be. 

HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 02:34:33 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1), jbreher (1)

POS gets shook out real fast once stakers realize the value of their stake is falling faster than the value of the income. Stakers start progressively dumping their stakes at market.   It then becomes a self sustaining whirlpool of doom

POS is an excellent way to get WTF pwned during the next bear cycle.  
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 02:56:56 AM

POS gets shook out real fast once stakers realize the value of their stake is falling faster than the value of the income. Stakers start progressively dumping their stakes at market.   It then becomes a self sustaining whirlpool of doom

Yep...

Good luck (not) to any of those peeps (including some WO participant peeps) investing into POS phony baloney.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 02:58:45 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2019, 03:23:00 AM by Biodom

LOL.

I agree, however, I worry that current rent seekers (which are dominant in the current economy) will simply transplant themselves onto POS, thereby strengthening it.

On an individual level maybe you hedge some of your value into that situation, but if you recognize the true value as POW, and you largely invest in POW, then likely you are going to experience value appreciation in your POW investment.  The snake oil salesmen are not likely going to make it easy for you to distinguish the real value from the snake oil, right?

hey, do you mine btc or did you ever mine or run a node?
if yes, then kudos, and if not, then you are riding someone else's train here, I am sorry to say.
In order to support btc network (POW) by mining you have to have roughly one S9 (13.5 TH/s) per each 5 BTC that you might have (at this very moment).

Anything else, and you are contributing less than your claim on the network, therefore some third party have more power (you relinquished that power to them). Contribution via node is less clear, but could be calculated as a derivative of the total node number.

If you simply buy and hodl, sorry, you have a claim on something you don't really control in any way.

POS gets shook out real fast once stakers realize the value of their stake is falling faster than the value of the income. Stakers start progressively dumping their stakes at market.   It then becomes a self sustaining whirlpool of doom

True, personally, i see POW as superior, albeit some were also extending ideas about POW collapse if btc prices would get too low as difficulty adjustment happens only roughly 13 days or so.
I see POS as psychologically attractive to financiers because they understand the concept of a "stake" very well.
However, all software or policies implementations of POS so far were mostly flawed.
The problem of ETH is that they think like a central bank and keep jerking the network params one way or another. The problem of EOS is centralization.
Both are no good long term, which is good for POW, but i am not sure that "perfect" (one and done, without jerking the network) POS is theoretically impossible, but maybe it is.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 03:21:24 AM

LOL.

On an individual level maybe you hedge some of your value into that situation, but if you recognize the true value as POW, and you largely invest in POW, then likely you are going to experience value appreciation in your POW investment.  The snake oil salesmen are not likely going to make it easy for you to distinguish the real value from the snake oil, right?

hey, do you mine btc or did you ever mine or run a node?
if yes, then kudos, and if not, then you are riding someone else's train here, I am sorry to say.

Get the fuck out of here with that statement of mining elitism.

In order to support btc network (POW) by mining you have to have roughly one S9 (13.5 TH/s) per each 5 BTC that you might have (at this very moment).

There is no "have to," but instead there could be levels of increased security and increased involvement and ways of BTC ownership (or BTC network ownership).

Anything else, and you are contributing less than your claim on the network, therefore some third party have more power (you relinquished that power to them). Contribution via node is less clear, but could be calculated as a derivative of the total node number.

Yes, there are various ways in which people can be involved various ways in which they can contribute (or distract) from the bitcoin space and the bitcoin concept.

If you simply buy and hodl, sorry, you have a claim on something you don't really control in any way.

O.k.  Fair enough that owning and controlling are different things, yet your seeming attempt to create a heirarchy of bitcoin citizenship, perhaps under your own parameters, seems a bit weird, lame and out of touch with the modern world in which systems (including bitcoin) have consensus, compromise and choice rather than requiring every person to have a required set of skills and contributions.  If true, that would be ridiculous.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 03:36:30 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

cannot quote ^^^it properly.
It's not mining elitism, it is how it works since Satoshi made it public.
If you think that owning btc makes you or anyone else a contributor, no it does not (in a POW system), but it does in a POS system where you mine using your stake.
IN POW system miners and node-owners control the system.
Simply owning btc is OK, but you are effectively cut off out of all decision making that might affect your btc.
This is just a statement of fact, nothing personal.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 03:38:26 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), Paashaas (1)

If you think that owning btc makes you or anyone else a contributor, no it does not (in a POW system), but it does in a POS system where you mine using your stake.
Simply owning btc is OK, but you are effectively cut off out of all decision making that might affect your btc.

You are taking a technology centric view and ignoring economic soft power.  UASF proved the strength of economic hodlers.  Don't get fooled by Bcash propaganda that miners vote.  They can just fork off and take their hashpower elsewhere and good luck to them.  We will sell their shitty fork coins and buy more BTC.

Meanwhile Bitmain is sitting on a pile of Bcash that no one wants. 
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 03:43:50 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2019, 03:59:15 AM by Biodom
Merited by vapourminer (1), Paashaas (1), ssmc2 (1)

You are taking a technology centric view and ignoring economic soft power.  UASF proved the strength of economic hodlers.  Don't get fooled by Bcash propaganda that miners vote.  They can just fork off and take their hashpower elsewhere and good luck to them.

UASF proved the power of users with nodes, NOT the hodlers. Hodlers were totally out of the loop and were not in the decision making.
In fact, economic powers such as coinbase and barry silbert's fund were not able to do anything because nodes said (indirectly) that they will go with the core and it was not economical for miners to go and do a split.
They would have been losing many millions a day. It is a bit funny that you are indirectly arguing for POS (power to hodlers) while saying that POW is better. No paradox here?

"UASF stands for User Activated Soft Fork.
It’s a mechanism where the activation time of a soft fork occurs on a specified date enforced by full nodes; a concept sometimes referred to as the economic majority."
https://cointelegraph.com/explained/uasf-vs-uahf-explained

"The network is robust in its unstructured simplicity. Nodes work all at once with little coordination. They do not need to be identified, since messages are not routed to any particular place and only need to be delivered on a best effort basis. Nodes can leave and rejoin the network at will, accepting the proof-of-work chain as proof of what happened while they were gone. They vote with their CPU power, expressing their acceptance of valid blocks by working on extending them and rejecting invalid blocks by refusing to work on them. Any needed rules and incentives can be enforced with this consensus mechanism." by Satoshi N.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 03:53:22 AM

If you think that owning btc makes you or anyone else a contributor,

You seem to be changing the topic.

Was I talking about myself?

In my earlier post, I was attempting to describe why there is both erroneous logic and likely a lack of understanding if anyone is attempting to suggest that POW is the same or some variation of POS.   To the extent that I may have made other points, was not part of the thrust of what I was saying in that post.

You came back with some kind of assertion of what seems to be hierarchies of bitcoin citizenship.

no it does not (in a POW system), but it does in a POS system where you mine using your stake.

Who gives a shit about POS?  Go pump some shit coin or contribute to some other project. Part of my point is that any attempts to suggest that POS systems are bringing some kind of similar innovative dynamic to the crypto space, such as bitcoin does are either ill-informed or erroneous.

By the way, anyone investing into bitcoin does not have to actually participate in the security of the POW bitcoin system in order to get the benefits of the various contributions of others, including the contributions of miners.  Accordingly, a lot of folks can profit to fuck all without putting one cent towards mining.  Whether that is a free-rider problem or not, there seems to be decent free market dynamics that allow various kinds of speculation and profit from bitcoin... even if not directly profiting or contributing to actual mining.    Lovely that... and there are a lot of us who have made a lot of money already, just by buying, accumulating and hodling bitcoin... and we can equally get our dicks sucked with hookers, blow and lambos.   Wink

Good job... great.

Simply owning btc is OK,

I am glad that you approve of such activity.  I actually suggest people buy some bitcoin and take a stake in bitcoin by buying it.  I do not suggest that people start mining. Of course, if they want to start mining or own  a node then great... I am glad that they are contributing to bitcoin in such a concrete (and optional) way.

but you are effectively cut off out of all decision making that might affect your btc.

Could be true, and partaking in decision making regarding the governance details of bitcoin may or may not be important for all folks.  There may be some folks who merely prefer to spend their lives engaged in other activities, whether that is hookers, blow and lambos or other some other personally satisfying / rewarding activities.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 03:59:25 AM

text

Sorry, I don't have any idea what you are talking about (basically a mix of insults with gibberish).

Fine if you do not understand english, and if you patronize by characterize what I say as gibberish, then you are likely the one who is being insulting by cursorily dismissing views in a topic that you brought up and asserting that you don't understand basic concepts in english.

Let me try to make one of my points in another way.  What I am saying is that a person, such as me, is still able to benefit from bitcoin's POW without being a miner nor a node operator, just like a person who needs brain surgery would be able to potentially benefit from the fact that brain surgery as a practice exists, even if that person is neither a brain surgeon nor works in a hospital.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 04:00:29 AM

The fact that we are hovering near $4000 while many people are still waiting to buy at $3000-$3300, $2800, $2500, $2000 and even lower is... Fine.

Of course it doesn't mean we can't have another lower bottom.

Just saying... but I don't know what I say. Mind you.
Pages: « 1 ... 22629 22630 22631 22632 22633 22634 22635 22636 22637 22638 22639 22640 22641 22642 22643 22644 22645 22646 22647 22648 22649 22650 22651 22652 22653 22654 22655 22656 22657 22658 22659 22660 22661 22662 22663 22664 22665 22666 22667 22668 22669 22670 22671 22672 22673 22674 22675 22676 22677 22678 [22679] 22680 22681 22682 22683 22684 22685 22686 22687 22688 22689 22690 22691 22692 22693 22694 22695 22696 22697 22698 22699 22700 22701 22702 22703 22704 22705 22706 22707 22708 22709 22710 22711 22712 22713 22714 22715 22716 22717 22718 22719 22720 22721 22722 22723 22724 22725 22726 22727 22728 22729 ... 33301 »
  Print  

Jump to: