Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:58:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Block Erupter USB  (Read 251687 times)
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:45:35 PM

I have a question, if I buy this Block Erupter in the Netherlands, with power rates of 0.32$, when will it break even? Also, I have a Raspberry Pi, however I assume since the Block Erupter has to be plugged in, I also have to keep a laptop/PC on?

no USB miner will break even, these are just toys / gadgets
note that new selling price is 0.99 BTC, posted by friedcat
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LazyOtto

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:23:46 AM

I have a question, if I buy this Block Erupter in the Netherlands, with power rates of 0.32$, when will it break even?
I like this calculator:
http://www.coinish.com/calc/#

With the new cost of 1btc per unit, looks to me like your profit at twelve months will be between -$35 and -$60 USD. (It all depends on your difficulty rate of increase assumption.)

IOWs, you might make back about half of what you paid with twelve months of 100% efficiency mining.

If you start mining on it *today*.
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:26:44 AM

I have a question, if I buy this Block Erupter in the Netherlands, with power rates of 0.32$, when will it break even? Also, I have a Raspberry Pi, however I assume since the Block Erupter has to be plugged in, I also have to keep a laptop/PC on?

no USB miner will break even, these are just toys / gadgets
note that new selling price is 0.99 BTC, posted by friedcat

No one can predict the exchange rate for BTC.  If it drops to $20, a lot of people are going to be hurting, not just the USB guys.

On the other hand, if it goes back up to $200 or higher, we'll be doing a happy dance.

It's a gamble.  Feelin' lucky? Smiley

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
LazyOtto

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:32:02 AM

No one can predict the exchange rate for BTC.
Which is irrelevant to this calculation since the item in question is priced in BTC.

For all the BTC spent on these now, you will have half that amount of BTC in one year than you do now.

All subject to long term rate of increase in difficulty. Which is relevant.

And which no no can, accurately, predict.  Wink
LazyOtto

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:33:55 AM

On the other hand, if it goes back up to $200 or higher, we'll be doing a happy dance.
Oh? Even those who paid for their mining gear with BTC when it was ~ $6 - $17 exchange rate?

-- edit

The moral of that story is: If you're betting long term on higher BTC to fiat exchange rate valuations then every BTC you spend, or neglect to buy now, is an opportunity cost.
kosmokramer

Activity: 266

The Assman: CEO of Vandelay Import/Export, Inc.

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:48:25 AM

My loyal USA customers:

If you've been satisfied with my service thus far and want it to continue, I encourage you to contact ASICMiner and provide them with honest feedback about my business practices so they can make an informed decision regarding a re-seller partnership. It would take you 60 seconds to do just one of the following:

• PM friedcat - tell him how your experience with me has been and your honest opinion about me becoming an exclusive US re-seller
  • Email ASICMiner (asicminer.usb AT gmail.com) and tell them how your experience with me has been and your honest opinion about me becoming an exclusive US re-seller

Please see my OP ... TL:DR - I would love to continue serving you all, but only as an exclusive US re-seller with standard privileges and protections.

firstbits: 1kosmo | PGP Public Key
Anenome5

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:55:13 PM

My loyal USA customers:

If you've been satisfied with my service thus far and want it to continue, I encourage you to contact ASICMiner and provide them with honest feedback about my business practices so they can make an informed decision regarding a re-seller partnership. It would take you 60 seconds to do just one of the following:

• PM friedcat - tell him how your experience with me has been and your honest opinion about me becoming an exclusive US re-seller
  • Email ASICMiner (asicminer.usb AT gmail.com) and tell them how your experience with me has been and your honest opinion about me becoming an exclusive US re-seller

Please see my OP ... TL:DR - I would love to continue serving you all, but only as an exclusive US re-seller with standard privileges and protections.
So you want a territorial monopoly on ASICMiner goods, and AM wants the money you'll offer them for it. What do we get out of that exactly, except higher prices overall Tongue

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 08:00:08 PM

tell him how your experience with me has been and your honest opinion about me becoming an exclusive US re-seller

Not cool, bro.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 09:50:31 PM

Where did you get your magical insight into BFL's problems? As far as I can tell they have only mentioned that the power consumption was far greater than anticipated, and they have not given out a reason for that yet.

If you define problem as an unforeseen delays to overcome before shipping product, you don't need magical insight, you can just conclude there have been legitimate delays that were unforeseen.
 The other option is they are devious and misleading, but I prefer to think they missed all the repeated deadline promises because they had problems.   

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
stex2009
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 11:58:56 PM

Can I use these cheap USB ports for mutiple block erupters?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Ports-Splitter-USB-HUB-2-0-High-Speed-AC-Power-Adapter-for-Laptop-PC-Blue-/330907999621?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item4d0ba75d85
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-10-Port-Hub-/151067077793?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item232c4caca1

Do I need one with a power adapter if I want to plug 5+ in one hub?
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 12:11:44 AM

I have a few anker powered usb hubs for sale..m see mu sig for sales thread. These rp at around 55e I can do them for .5bt they are tried and tested to do 10 erupters
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 04:03:09 AM

Here are instructions on how to brand your Block Erupters

Ira H. Fuchs

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 02:34:01 AM

My loyal USA customers:

good evening, These devices are classified as being part of our open source project. Do you have any way of contacting the outfit that is producing this hardware under the bitcoin logo? This for profit use has never been authorized by the foundation and goes against our mission statement...Ira
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 02:55:45 AM

My loyal USA customers:

Exclusivity is generally a bad thing, no matter who it is.

good evening, These devices are classified as being part of our open source project. Do you have any way of contacting the outfit that is producing this hardware under the bitcoin logo? This for profit use has never been authorized by the foundation and goes against our mission statement...Ira
  • Bitcoin itself is not exclusively an open source project.
  • I don't think you represent the Foundation (if you do, you should be fired for making stupid posts like this).
  • I am relatively sure that neither the Foundation nor anyone you represent hold any trademarks to the BTC symbol.
  • I don't see any way Bitfountain's consumer devices go against the mission statement of the Foundation.

Ira H. Fuchs

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 04:29:54 AM

My loyal USA customers:

Exclusivity is generally a bad thing, no matter who it is.

• Bitcoin itself is not exclusively an open source project.
  • I don't think you represent the Foundation (if you do, you should be fired for making stupid posts like this).
  • I am relatively sure that neither the Foundation nor anyone you represent hold any trademarks to the BTC symbol.
  • I don't see any way Bitfountain's consumer devices go against the mission statement of the Foundation.

good evening, Yes, Bitfountain is a large group of developers out of New York City. I'm so happy to be able to share with you what I know. We believe people need to gain a correct understanding of whats really happening here. Bitcoin is an open sourced project. Demands by administrators has fueled the larger part of this recent push. One example is keeping a way for participants and chaotic leaders on universities from corrupting servers. The blockhain networks are the backbone so proof of work protocols are built on armour txt base nodes. I urge you to read Satosjis' CPU paper again. Satoshi he joined up with the iBrunch development and research team several weeks ago...Ira
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 06:22:42 AM

"Ira H. Fuchs" is a bot. See his nonsensical posting history. Avoid replying to his posts.
elasticband
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 07:53:42 AM

Why does no one else in the EU just order 1000 direct from friedcat and sort all this out themselves? the whole yxt thibg has turned into a big waiting game for nothing.
CumpsD

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:22:19 AM

Why does no one else in the EU just order 1000 direct from friedcat and sort all this out themselves? the whole yxt thibg has turned into a big waiting game for nothing.

Because friedcat decided to make deals with people in regions and not ship directly anymore :/
elasticband
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:26:19 AM

so even if i wanted 1000units and had ordered 150units direct from fried cat before, he wouldn't take my order?

CumpsD

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:28:55 AM

so even if i wanted 1000units and had ordered 150units direct from fried cat before, he wouldn't take my order?

That's what I read from his post, the one with all official sellers per geographic region.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: