Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:15:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 [179] 180 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][YAC] YACoin ongoing development  (Read 379837 times)
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2021, 11:07:06 AM

...unless I can fix the terrible design flaw that has plagued Yacoin since day one. That is, using the PoW hash for EVERYTHING. This, as you know makes the client use more and more resources to run and gets worse for every Nf change. It shouldn't take a coin 15 days to sync and a  non mining client shouldn't run at a high CPU and Memory rate. That's the main reason Yacoin is not on any exchanges.
Litecoin uses GetPoWHash TWICE, Yacoin, almost 100.

OH MY GAWD.  :facepalm:

So, let me verify that I understand correctly—because I just can’t believe it:  Yacoin uses scrypt as a generalized hash!?

That is easily one of the ten worst altcoin ideas that I have ever seen (and the other nine are from BSV).  I think that I will now die of laughter.  Thanks.

But alas, your coin is not yet optimally pessimal.  I can help you pessimize it further.

I doubt that Yacoin really uses scrypt for everything.  What about digital signatures?  ECDSA needs a hash; deterministic ECDSA needs several hashes.  If you instantiate those hashes with scrypt, preferably at a high Nfactor, then you will make validation extremely slower.

* Nullius the Cynic is a grandmaster of pessimization.

But why stop there?  Why not use for all hashing purposes a Verifiable Delay Function based on iterated scrypt?  Shocked

While you are at it, find anywhere in the code that uses a sorting function, and change it to use permutation sort.  Once upon a time, as a fun learning exercise, I wrote an optimally pessimal permutation sort implementation; if I can find that old code, perhaps I could contribute it.  That makes almost as much sense as using a password hashing function as a general-purpose cryptographic hash!

Someone needs to tell Colin Percival, the designer of scrypt, that an altcoin is using it as a hash function for everything.  He was unhappy when he heard about Litecoin’s misuse of his creation; it is not designed as a POW hash, and using it for that purpose is stupid enough.

Reminder: YACoin 1.0 is a completely open, decentralized cryptocurrency,
Yes, we don't need the NFactor hash for everything. It is Yet Another flaw to address, although it is overblown. A solution to that is already in the works. It's not like other cryptocurrencies haven't address this. In the meantime, for downloading and syncing the chain, you can use this link.

https://mega.nz/file/SZcVWSRK#HEP0u6GkrNBuvloZv-vijcJtCXPNgiHv1WHAzeSoxDY

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

“Download the blockchain from this anonymous Mega link, and don’t validate it at all because it is too computationally expensive to validate” is not what I would call “decentralized”.

That Mega link can contain any version of the ledger that you may desire.  It can even contain an invalid ledger.  You are now a trusted central authority.

Hello, do you realize that Bitcoin Core even removed checkpoints?  The whole concept was replaced long ago with -assumevalid.  I myself recommend setting up your first node with assumevalid=0, viz., validate all scripts in all transactions; and then, you can set up other nodes using an assumevalid hash from something near the chaintip of your own node.  assumevalid only skips script verification; everything still needs to be hashed.

Stop allowing this nonsense.

Code:
    if (
        (0 < nPosBlockCount)
        &&
        (
         (
          fTestNet
          &&
          pprev
         )
         ||
         !fUseOld044Rules         //(nTime >= YACOIN_NEW_LOGIC_SWITCH_TIME)
        )
       )

What the fuck is that, COBOL?

It reminds me of one fine day in early 2014, when I decided to try to audit OpenSSL.  The code looked just like that, plus mazes of nested #ifdefs.  To avoid blindness and insanity, I gave up after about ten minutes.  By coincidence, this was about two months before Heartbleed was discovered; if I had persisted, perhaps I could have been the one to discover it!

Upgrade all code. No one is going to take seriously a coin that is running Bitcoin 0.8.6 code. You mention fixing a few errors, GREAT, what about the few hundred commits that have occurred in Bitcoin since?

A “few hundred commits”?  Nice guess; you are off by only two orders of magnitude.

Code:
nullius@onion:~/src/bitcoin$ git rev-list v0.8.6...v0.21.0 | wc -l

Oh, and...

Code:
nullius@onion:~/src/bitcoin$ git rev-list v0.21.0...HEAD | wc -l

Of course, this does not count commits from any of the many PRs that are reviewed, rejected, and closed without merging.

Bitcoin development is highly active.  Core is slow to release new features, because breaking the network could wreck a trillion dollars in value; they do not “move fast and break things”.  Whereas Bitcoin has some of the most active development of any cryptocurrency!

Joe_Bauers, my condolences.

If you want to try to salvage something from this mess, I suggest calling it “Yacoin Classic” instead of “Yacoin Cash”.  Well, that is if you avoid a network hardfork.  Bcash was a network hardfork; the various coins called “Classic”, such as Ethereum Classic, were typically created to avoid contentious hardforks.  If you want to remove the “use scrypt for everything” pessimization, I infer that you probably need your own hardfork; in that case, perhaps try “Yacoin Optimized”.  (I first thought to suggest “Yacoin Unbroken” or “Yacoin Less-Stupid”, but that would just be cruel.)

Merging fixes and upgrades from Bitcoin can have huge benefits.  I have some practical experience with this; e.g., after Zcash pulled in Core’s switch from OpenSSL to libsecp256k1 for validating signatures, I could feel how much faster sync was.  Quantitatively, jlopp measured “significant performance improvements to the tune of more than a 50% speedup” between his tests of Zcash 2.0.1 and Zcash 2.1.1, probably due to merges of such upstream improvements—yes, sync time was cut in half.  Of course, faster point arithmetic for secp256k1 is relatively meaningless if you have a maximally pessimized coin that is using scrypt for all of its hashing needs.

Thanks for the laughs.  I mean that sincerely and unironically.  This thread made my day.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tarz

Activity: 237
Merit: 110

View Profile
March 31, 2021, 04:46:18 PM

Bauers is onto something here. What do u think he meant by insinuating "stop pretending u care and turn over the coin to someone else who does", and he made a laborious effort to repeat this, he literally said, hey, give up the project. Bauers is a two faced salamander, he is a glib mouth of this fancy contemporary tradition to use guile and whatnot to ascend to power. He wants the coin. He got an agenda. I am watching u, Joe_Bauers.
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2021, 10:00:00 PM

I am watching u, Joe_Bauers.

u hear that, Joe_Bauers?  Tarz 🕵 is watching u!

👀

Joe_Bauers_👻, ur in trubble!  RIP 🪦

Bauers is onto something here. What do u think he meant by insinuating "stop pretending u care and turn over the coin to someone else who does", and he made a laborious effort to repeat this, he literally said, hey, give up the project.

I dunno.  Maybe he meant that it is a catastrophically bad shitcoin, so bad that its value is NaN.  If you could sell it for zero, then that would be an improvement!  But there must be two sides to every trade; and someone who wants to buy for zero needs to be able to run a node, or use an exchange that runs a node... whoopsie.

Eh, I can’t put words in his mouth.  That is what I mean:  Yacoin is so bad that it has the value of being literally ridiculous:  Oh so fun to ridicule.  Poor Bauers_👻 is probably more frustrated.  My sympathies.  😏

By the way, I have a technical question about Yacoin:  What is the address format?

I have a reason for asking:  I want to generate an address for Yacoin, for I intend to pump it.  🚀  Why?  For the lulz—because April Fools’ Day starts in two hours (UTC/anonymous timezone), and Yacoin is literally ridiculous.  And above, I sort of lied:  To receive Yacoin, of course, I don’t need to connect to the Yacoin network in any way!  To dump it, that would be necessary...

So, what is the technical specification for a Yacoin address?  I am a crypto expert; I know what I am doing.  If a Yacoin address is like a Bitcoin P2PKH address, then I simply need to know the version byte, and whether I can use compressed public keys.  (Did Bitcoin v0.8.6 do compressed public keys yet?  Roll Eyes)  Also, I ask the version byte for a WIF, and whether there is a customary BIP 32 derivation path for Yacoin.

Let’s get old Nully here set up with a Yacoin address, ’coz I wanna go TO THE MOON.

thx 😼

Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
April 03, 2021, 08:56:33 PM

This thread has become useful finally  Grin  Tarz, I nominate ~YOU~ to take over the role of YacoinOverlord. Is that OK?

After taking a nice little respite from this silly place, I returned to these PM's
Quote from: @RealBeave162
Jesus... GET A LIFE. You won't go away will you. Worthless!

It's called consensus buddy. I suggest you learn what that means? No one cares what you think. NO ONE.

Want to post that private message?

Sure.

Quote from: @RealBeave162
Windmaster... WHERE ARE YOU??

Who is Windmaster to you exactly? Your daddy?

Last active over 3 years ago... It all makes sense now. lol

I hate to break this to you about your daddy... but.. but.. he had a large GPU mining operation back in 2013. It was impressive, especially at the time. I imagine he has brought that back to some degree if he is still around somewhere. I would welcome your daddy to mine and support YACoin 1.0!

Good luck on your YACoin Cash project you miserable clown!

Forget Windmaster, I am wondering if Mark Hamill would please join this site and read your PM's for all of us in the voice of Joker.

Joe_Bauers

GCVMMWH

View Profile
April 03, 2021, 09:03:40 PM

perhaps try “Yacoin Optimized”.  (I first thought to suggest “Yacoin Unbroken” or “Yacoin Less-Stupid”, but that would just be cruel.)

"Yacoin Unbroken" sounds like a script that someone should pitch to Stallone for his next movie TBH.
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2021, 04:52:13 PM

For the record, I did pump Yacoin for April Fools’ Day as I said I would:

1. Yacoin is Bitcoin^Ethereum!

Yacoin combines aspects of Bitcoin and Ethereum development processes.  Therefore, I expect its performance to be Bitcoin exponentiated by Ethereum:

• Bitcoin:  Move slowly.  Don’t break things.
  • Ethereum:  Move fast and break things.  Because, fuck it:  We want to get rich quick!
  • Yacoin:  Move slowly and break things.  The code quality sucks, development has been moribund for years, and the whole thing is riddled with design flaws.  It is so bad that to avoid the impracticality of sync, people are told to download the blockchain from a Yacoin developer’s Mega account, and import it without validation (!).  Trust me.  And its codebase is derived from Bitcoin Core v0.8.6, apparently without further merges from upstream; this means that its development process is even more conservative than Bitcoin’s:  The Yacoin devs keep all the obsolescence of an ancient Bitcoin version, plus all the bugs and design flaws that they themselves added.

Bitcoin Core development is like programming the Space Shuttle.  But Yacoin will go TO THE MOON!

Now, today in the Yacoin Horror Show:

Quote from: @RealBeave162🧟
Jesus... GET A LIFE. You won't go away will you. Worthless!

It's called consensus buddy. I suggest you learn what that means? No one cares what you think. NO ONE.

Forking hell.  RealBeave162🧟 does not know what “consensus” means, in the context of Byzantine fault-tolerant distributed systems architecture.  I recently wrote a post about exactly this issue, and have been planning a whole thread about it.

There is hereby a failure of human language usage:  The word “consensus” is overloaded.

In Bitcoin, the word “consensus” has the very specific technical meaning.  It does not refer to an agreement amongst humans, as in colloquial usage.  Rather, it denotes the resolution of a synchronized state in a distributed system.

Compare and contrast other distributed consensus protocols such as Paxos (the Lamport consensus protocol, not the blockchain company).

[...more explanation; go read...]

Someone who is ignorant of the precise meaning of the word “consensus” in the context of distributed consensus protocols should not be involved in the development of cryptocurrencies.

perhaps try “Yacoin Optimized”.  (I first thought to suggest “Yacoin Unbroken” or “Yacoin Less-Stupid”, but that would just be cruel.)

"Yacoin Unbroken" sounds like a script that someone should pitch to Stallone for his next movie TBH.

That’s the spirit, Joe_Bauers_👻!  No pain!  NO PAIN!  (Well—maybe a little a lot of pain.)  I infer that this must be your experience as a Yacoiner:

Perhaps this may comfort you:  Yacoin has inspired me!  As an expert in pessimization, I want to create a coin that is even worse:  Slower, more wasteful of resources, and not merely impractical, but humanly impossible to use.  I have some great ideas for this.  If you want to be a bagholder for a coin even worse than Yacoin, then I will be happy to prey on your financial masochism!  Seriously, I am assembling a team of world-class pessimization experts for this.

Joe_Bauers

GCVMMWH

View Profile
April 07, 2021, 07:56:39 PM

That’s the spirit, Joe_Bauers_👻!  No pain!  NO PAIN!  (Well—maybe a little a lot of pain.)  I infer that this must be your experience as a Yacoiner:

Perhaps this may comfort you:  Yacoin has inspired me!  As an expert in pessimization, I want to create a coin that is even worse:  Slower, more wasteful of resources, and not merely impractical, but humanly impossible to use.  I have some great ideas for this.  If you want to be a bagholder for a coin even worse than Yacoin, then I will be happy to prey on your financial masochism!  Seriously, I am assembling a team of world-class pessimization experts for this.

Uncannily accurate!

I've accepted a position at Greenpeace and may not have internet access to check this silly forum for some time, but I would like to contribute the following ideas to your coin if I may.

1) I propose that it is called 0day. Not because of any intentional unknown exploits that you should, of course add to it, but because that's exactly how long anyone will be able to run the client.  <---[cheeze]

2) It should use scrypt-jane like Yacoin, but start at Nf30.

3) Obviously use GetPowHash for generalized hashing, except for validating PoW, which should use MD5. 
Beave162

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 08, 2021, 06:00:03 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2021, 11:34:49 PM by Beave162

YACoin Resurrection Hard Fork – Heliopolis

Slowly, but surely, the Heliopolis Hard Fork approaches. Nearly 1300 blocks to go now at this point!

It is best to ignore those who clearly have an agenda. The agenda is nebulous, but it is certainly NOT to help the value of the coin grow and to help current/future stakeholders.

Bitcointalk is not what it used to be. We will eventually move to a self-moderated thread after the hard fork. We can continue to use this thread for announcements only. IF you are interested in starting a respectful conversation, please join the discord server: https://discord.gg/vvPz9ks

Again, YACoin is an open, opensource cryptocurrency and has been since 2013. The Heliopolis hard fork in an upgrade to the current YACoin network. It is not, for example, a new coin that is cloned from Bitcoin or Litecoin and then airdropped on a UTXO set. I feel obligated to say DO NOT LISTEN to anyone trying to push some idea, especially without recognizing the great improvements and incredible hard work, sacrifice. It's all noise and very, very little signal.

There will be MANY people rooting for the failure of YACoin. At the moment though, it is really a DEAD coin. Hence, the RESURRECTION! YoBit has it listed but withdrawals and deposits are PERMANENTLY disabled. It is a complete scam exchange. Do NOT EVER use it.

One way to help is to run a node. It may not make sense to set "gen=1" if you have a CPU lower-end than an i3. But if you have an i7 or a newer Ryzen, the hashrate numbers look good. At NFactor 21, we see an even smaller advantage for GPUs over CPUs. ccminer works at the moment at least for older NVidia cards. If you want help, the discord channel will be the best place to go.

Faster sync times is in the works. Downloading from the mega link is a quick workaround at the moment. Anyone should be able to compile on their own machine (Windows, Linux, MacOS) as clean as possible. That's another area A LOT of improvements have been (and will continue to be) made.

The goal is to have a very open and inclusive community--for lack of a better term. There will be countless features and supporting features that others can implement for the betterment of the entire ecosystem. I'd say the success of YACoin 1.0 relies on that type of culture.

YaCoin: YL5kf54wPPXKsXd5T18xCaNkyUsS1DgY7z 
BitCoin: 14PFbLyUdTyxZg3V8hnvj5VXkx3dhthmDj
vampirus

Activity: 982
Merit: 517

Nature decays, but Latinum lasts forever. RoA:102

View Profile
April 23, 2021, 02:35:01 PM
Last edit: April 25, 2021, 03:22:06 PM by vampirus

Looks like hardfork failed, no blocks 2 days. No one can find block with N=21 or error in wallet code.

UPD. A few blocks found after hardfork.
Explorer1, old version  http://explore.grokonet.com/
Explorer2, new version  http://explorer.yacoin.org/

SCIFIKEDGPLCAPS
Groko

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2021, 05:59:50 PM

Looks like hardfork failed, no blocks 2 days. No one can find block with N=21 or error in wallet code.

UPD. A few blocks found after hardfork.
Explorer1, old version  http://explore.grokonet.com/
Explorer2, new version  http://explorer.yacoin.org/

Sorry, my fault. The explorer has not been updated yet. I just randomly learned about the hard fork.
Beave162

View Profile
June 13, 2021, 11:43:44 PM

It has now been 400 blocks since the successful hard fork. Safe to say Heliopolis executed beautifully!

Here is a link to an updated bootset to avoid downloading the entire chain from scratch:

https://mega.nz/file/TMVXlKhZ#G3IvQHBvAuevGQRokatZU5X9fhwyjedy7vx3xu0YibA

More upgrades to come in terms of the core wallet, but the hard fork is complete. Join the discord for ideas and discussion on how to move YACoin forward: https://discord.gg/t3NUFerXvq

Nemo888

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 23, 2021, 08:07:02 AM

Where to download bootstrap up to 2018 year?
Beave162

View Profile
February 01, 2022, 06:37:45 AM

Updated Node List:

addnode=98.251.95.243
addnode=99.108.237.173
addnode=69.126.228.26
addnode=45.30.45.121
addnode=73.43.61.164
addnode=99.11.242.124
addnode=72.109.182.241
addnode=76.97.209.82
addnode=76.25.4.26
addnode=73.43.56.247

aso118b

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 30, 2022, 07:43:44 PM

It appears there was a new wallet (v1.1) released today.

https://github.com/yacoin/yacoin/releases/tag/v1.1.0
Beave162

View Profile
June 08, 2022, 02:27:51 PM

It appears there was a new wallet (v1.1) released today.

https://github.com/yacoin/yacoin/releases/tag/v1.1.0

Thank you for pointing it out aso118b.

In order to fully support atomic swaps, a non-hard fork upgrade is required. You may call it a soft-soft fork. The purpose is to allow what is considered a non-standard transaction from the PoV of the old nodes: Hash Time Lock Contract (HTLC).

No OP_Codes were added. I think there can be a lot of discussion on the different 'flavors' of forks--both hard fork and soft fork.

So ABSOLUTELY update your node to the latest release (1.1.0). That way all the nodes can support the newest feature. Also, make sure to include the updated node list in your yacoin.conf file.

With the said, the vast majority of nodes, and mining nodes have already been updated.

Also, I believe that YACoin is now the only other PoW coin besides Ethereum to have the ability to do a direct atomic swap with Bitcoin.

Beave162

View Profile
September 13, 2022, 04:28:59 AM

With the Ethereum 'Merge' approaching, it's a good time to announce yet another milestone in the YACoin Heliopolis release. YACoin finally has an exchange!

As of now, a true atomic swap can occur between YACoin--Bitcoin, YACoin--Ethereum, YACoin--USDT(any Ethereum token)

It will be available on the chrome store very soon. Until then, here is the link with instructions

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkJy6OysTRxnnVuVzoTlxY0ugSmB?e=rV9JmM

Instructions:
1) Unzip Yaswap_wallet_6Sept
2) In the Chrome Browser, go to Settings>>Extensions
3) Enable Developer Mode (toggle in upper right corner)
4) Click load unpacked (upper left corner). Select folder "Yaswap wallet" that you unzipped (the whole folder)
5) Select the 'puzzle' icon in the upper right of the chrome browser to access the extension "YASwap." Follow instructions to obtain your seeds words and create a password.

YASwap is a fork of liqualilty with some improvements and rebranding. What is great is that it is open source. Anyone can run their own YASwap platform:
https://github.com/yaswap

Even more to come...

Beave162

View Profile
October 03, 2022, 08:26:22 AM

Here is a new YASwap Wallet. Improvements in both backend function and UI:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkJy6OysTRxnngvJgnkKy5TtAdl6?e=tSovSD

Great things are happening with YACoin

Beave162

View Profile
November 08, 2022, 03:16:00 AM

I want to keep everyone up-to-date with important links and information:

Discord Channel Link:

https://discord.gg/QfnZfqGH79

YASwap Wallet Download:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkJy6OysTRxnn1Cusjel_OSB-L6Z?e=nA3BUu

YASwap Dapp Site:

http://swap.yacoin.org/

YASwap Manual Swap Dapp Site:

http://manswap.yacoin.org/

'Official' YACoin Github Repo:

https://github.com/yacoin/yacoin

YASwap Github Repo:

https://github.com/yaswap

Let me know if the links don't work or if anything else is missing.

Also, if anyone would like to swap their old YACoin for Bitcoin, Ethereum, USDT, reach out to me. I will give you a good deal. And it will be fun to test out the YASwap manual swap with others.

Beave162

View Profile
April 17, 2023, 06:02:19 AM

YACoin is undergoing Yet Another Fork. It's a soft fork, so old nodes are still compatible, but it is highly recommended to upgrade ASAP.

The main upgrade is the addition of YA-tokens. YACoin will now support the creation of tokens built on top of the network with integration into IPFS as well for NFTs.

Also, the first epoch change is fast approaching! 100 blocks to go! It will be the first epoch change since the hard fork a long time ago.

I'll try to keep updates here and in other outlets more frequent. Meanwhile, the best way communicate with questions or general discussion is the discord channel: Discord Channel Link:

https://discord.gg/QfnZfqGH79

Beave162

View Profile
April 30, 2023, 06:07:00 PM

YACoin Resurrection – Heliopolis

YACoin is moving up! It now has NFTs!

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmTng9sJqspRNoG5hVyd9RhKvsAsNf8scopK1CGpA2eAqh

The first 10 people to reply or PM me with their YACoin address will get 21 of the genesis YACoin NFT. Only 2100 exist, and they are NOT reissuable. These are main assets or newly dubbed 'YA-tokens'

You can view the details in the yacoind terminal:
./yacoind listtokens "*" true
        "BRINGBACKTHEYAK" : {
        "name" : "BRINGBACKTHEYAK",
        "token_type" : "YA-token",
        "amount" : "2100.00",
        "units" : 2,
        "reissuable" : 0,
        "has_ipfs" : 1,
        "block_height" : 1911481,
        "blockhash" : "00000bfd8796fd3cfbdd19bd5901ebeb0666548c95e70d180ac69e1b78af3e82",
        "ipfs_hash" : "QmTng9sJqspRNoG5hVyd9RhKvsAsNf8scopK1CGpA2eAqh"

You can also view the timelocked coins required to create the token: http://explore.yacoin.org/timelock

YACoin is/will come back!

Pages: « 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 [179] 180 »
  Print  

Jump to: