Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:44:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KnCMiner Openday Wednesday 5th & Monday 10th June  (Read 91298 times)
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:39:09 AM

They said earlier that they would be keeping a close eye on hash/$ ratio during development. Does this mean that they might increase the hashing power of the machines closer to shipping if the difficulty increases too much or the price of btc drops significantly ?

Yes. they said that, if they have to do that in order to keep the products competetive, and profitable for us miners, they of course would.

What's really, really crucial to bear in mind though is time.

Marcus is a freakin' wizard, amd a perfectionist, but Sam is keen to reign him in w.r.t. time and not loose sight of that. The goal IS September. ANY delays and you will be given evidence of any issues with respect to third parties, this is the area for contention with BFL, why are they not giving this? They have more than one PCB fabricator on case of one letting them down. I went through multiple scenarios of weak links and impressively they had answers.

Their 28nm chip is relatively uncomplicated in comparison to what they have done in the past, but it has to work first time and well. They may revise it in future, Marcus has an itch to do just that, but they have a promise of September to fulfill.

There are multiple future tweaks on the cards, there may even be liquid cooling options for those not housing in data centres. Though you risk invalidating warranty with DIY OC'ing.

From an entrepreneurial standpoint what was your impression of the team? Do you feel more confident now that you have met them, what did/does your gut tell you?

Run for the hills or Mortgage the house?

My gut is saying run for the hills. Think, if you're a small team of clever, top end designers, why would you sell what so ever! You could raise $50m in a few weeks and build the biggest farm ever seen. Why sell ONE unit, they'd make - if their claims are true - 5-20x more by mining than selling.

What are you smoking there? Raise $50m in a few weeks? Big LOL! I don't know where you live but raising $50m in a few weeks in a world of recession in a very new domain like Bitcoin seems almost fantasy. Build the biggest farm ever seen? Again big LOL. Do you know the company ASICMiner and do you know how hard is for them to put online 100Thash? And this mining thing was being asked for 100 times on this forum. Why would KnCMiner start mining in order to get 25 bitcoins every 10-30 mins when they can sell the units and make instant money? Do you think mining makes instant money? Mining takes a lot of time and a lot of resources.(think of heat, power and appropriate cooling) They made more money with the preorders in a week than they could make by mining in 6 months.

Please tell me (if you can) how long would it take to mine bitcoins worth of $50m and then maybe you will think twice before speaking such absurdities.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
glowkeeper

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 12:48:21 AM

My gut is saying run for the hills. Think, if you're a small team of clever, top end designers, why would you sell what so ever! You could raise $50m in a few weeks and build the biggest farm ever seen. Why sell ONE unit, they'd make - if their claims are true - 5-20x more by mining than selling.
What are you smoking there?.....

+1. rofl or some such like  Grin
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:52:53 AM

They said earlier that they would be keeping a close eye on hash/$ ratio during development. Does this mean that they might increase the hashing power of the machines closer to shipping if the difficulty increases too much or the price of btc drops significantly ?

Yes. they said that, if they have to do that in order to keep the products competetive, and profitable for us miners, they of course would.

Marcus is a freakin' wizard, amd a perfectionist, but Sam is keen to reign him in w.r.t. time and not loose sight of that. The goal IS September. ANY delays and you will be given evidence of any issues with respect to third parties, this is the area for contention with BFL, why are they not giving this? They have more than one PCB fabricator on case of one letting them down. I went through multiple scenarios of weak links and impressively they had answers.

Their 28nm chip is relatively uncomplicated in comparison to what they have done in the past, but it has to work first time and well. They may revise it in future, Marcus has an itch to do just that, but they have a promise of September to fulfill.

There are multiple future tweaks on the cards, there may even be liquid cooling options for those not housing in data centres. Though you risk invalidating warranty with DIY OC'ing.

From an entrepreneurial standpoint what was your impression of the team? Do you feel more confident now that you have met them, what did/does your gut tell you?

Never mortgage the house. Aside from what I've read here no genuine successful entrepreneur would do that.

That said the two words Sam mentioned which I wanted to hear were 'scalability' and 'automation', these are crucial to any business the guys I know invest in.

There are tons of successful entrepreneurs that have mortgaged houses, sold cars and maxed out credit to fund business. However, I would never do it if there is an outside factor such as hardware delivery that could crush my plan though.
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:53:34 AM

What are you smoking there?.....

+1. rofl or some such like  Grin

yeah +1111 saved me from responding and calling him a #$*&#*$#

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:54:38 AM

What are you smoking there? Raise $50m in a few weeks? Big LOL! I don't know where you live but raising $50m in a few weeks in a world of recession in a very new domain like Bitcoin seems almost fantasy. Build the biggest farm ever seen? Again big LOL. Do you know the company ASICMiner and do you know how hard is for them to put online 100Thash? And this mining thing was being asked for 100 times on this forum. Why would KnCMiner start mining in order to get 25 bitcoins every 10-30 mins when they can sell the units and make instant money? Do you think mining makes instant money? Mining takes a lot of time and a lot of resources.(think of heat, power and appropriate cooling) They made more money with the preorders in a week than they could make by mining in 6 months.

Please tell me (if you can) how long would it take to mine bitcoins worth of $50m and then maybe you will think twice before speaking such absurdities.

Hah, bitcoin is about the hottest investment area there is for startups. $50 million is however a damn fortune to take in as A-series financing, period.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 01:30:02 AM

Hah, bitcoin is about the hottest investment area there is for startups. $50 million is however a damn fortune to take in as A-series financing, period.

$5m seed funding when you're playing with 1 month mining + 2 month lead IRL ROIs. Prove the concept as soon as first hardware deploys = as much funding as you can take.

Dude you really have it out for this company, what's the deal?
I love how people are now so invested in KNC miner that they abuse others for not sharing their blind beliefs. Are you really that invested that you're so scared that this might not be fluffly clouds and rainbows ready to give you money printing machines for almost nothing?

What do you think BFL appeared to be like on announcement? Identical.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 01:31:33 AM

It's scary that 3 Jupiters can make 149k a month at current difficulty

btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 01:41:35 AM

I love how people are now so invested in KNC miner that they abuse others for not sharing their blind beliefs. Are you really that invested that you're so scared that this might not be fluffly clouds and rainbows ready to give you money printing machines for almost nothing?

No abuse dogie,
I don't know you and would like some insight into your motivations.

I literally want to know why you are saying the things that you are saying?

Are you an unbiased observer here? Do you have any stake in any other ASIC miners?

Did you go to BFL HQ when they opened up for pre-orders?

And to answer your question:
Am I scared? No I am not, I am however concerned about my investment, and like most investors/speculators here, I want to do as much due diligence that I can, hence the questioning of your motivations and your bashing of my decision to back KnC with my BTC.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
FloridaBear

Activity: 260

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:47:33 AM

It's scary that 3 Jupiters can make 149k a month at current difficulty

Well, yeah, but difficulty will probably be at least 100 million by the time the first one goes online. Still will be nicely profitable, but plugging in current difficulty is pointless. Time is everything when it comes to ASICs!
btceic

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 01:49:14 AM

@FloridaBear,
Anywhere near south florida?

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 01:50:12 AM

No abuse dogie,

Are you an unbiased observer here? Do you have any stake in any other ASIC miners?

Am I scared? No I am not, I am however concerned about my investment, and like most investors/speculators here, I want to do as much due diligence that I can, hence the questioning of your motivations and your bashing of my decision to back KnC with my BTC.

Thats fine.

I own avalons and (possibly used to) own asic miner hardware. Its not a large portfolio, its not integral to my way of life, and if it was valued at 0 tomorrow I'd be annoyed but not devastated. I couldn't care less if this was Avalon suddenly saying 300000000000GH for $1, I have no allegiances to any company.

Its too good to be true:
  • tiny process no one has even attempted to get close to. Smallest actual miner today is 90nm [ignoring bfl as no significant quantity and their problems]
  • massive, massive hash rates predicted
  • tiny power consumption predicted
  • really cheap prices
  • 3 month lead time
  • excellent engineers, apparently really clever

All promised without any designs shown, a shitty drawing of a potential case that doesn't even make sense, no pictures of any actual ASIC hardware. Anyone can rock up an FPGA - that's not proof of anything [watch everyone concentrate on this sentence *sigh*]..

.... and all the while they're a for profit company. They don't have great ideologies like Yifu, they're here to make money. And how do you make money with a miner you designed? You mine on it. You create a proof of concept, raise funds then deploy the shit out of it.

You don't advertise it on a forum, collect preorder money then sell it drip by drip for rock bottom prices. All combined, too good to be true. If these were preordering at 3x the price then it would make more sense, but they know *something* we don't yet.

btceic

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 02:07:27 AM

Thats fine.

I own avalons and (possibly used to) own asic miner hardware. Its not a large portfolio, its not integral to my way of life, and if it was valued at 0 tomorrow I'd be annoyed but not devastated. I couldn't care less if this was Avalon suddenly saying 300000000000GH for $1, I have no allegiances to any company.

Its too good to be true:
  • tiny process no one has even attempted to get close to. Smallest actual miner today is 90nm [ignoring bfl as no significant quantity and their problems]
  • really cheap prices
  • 3 month lead time

All promised without any designs shown, a shitty drawing of a potential case that doesn't even make sense, no pictures of any actual ASIC hardware. Anyone can rock up an FPGA - that's not proof of anything [watch everyone concentrate on this sentence *sigh*]..

.... and all the while they're a for profit company. They don't have great ideologies like Yifu, they're here to make money. And how do you make money with a miner you designed? You mine on it. You create a proof of concept, raise funds then deploy the shit out of it.

You don't advertise it on a forum, collect preorder money then sell it drip by drip for rock bottom prices. All combined, too good to be true. If these were preordering at 3x the price then it would make more sense, but they know *something* we don't yet.

I get what your saying and I can appreciate it, thank you for bringing the other side of the coin to light.

Perhaps they see that Avalon is not shipping and they may be able to beat them to market en mass, bfl isn't shipping en mass either. At this point as far as I can tell, nobody is shipping any ASIC's in any kind of quantity to the general public. If somebody is, point it out to me and I will gladly pay them to ship me a unit that has an actual positive ROI and not some shitty little 333MH/s usb miner for 1.99 BTC each (are you kidding me here on this). People are paying $400+ for these things on ebay.

My gut says that with the BS coming out of the Avalon camp (10 chips to test with on an $800,000 order, are you kidding me) to stay away.

Maybe I am wrong here, Maybe I misread or misunderstood the issues with Avalon, if I am then kindly point them out, but it looks to me that Avalon are not shipping what they say they are.

Is Batch 1, 2 and 3 out the door yet??

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 02:15:13 AM

Thats fine.

Its too good to be true:
  • really cheap prices
  • 3 month lead time

I get what your saying and I can appreciate it, thank you for bringing the other side of the coin to light.

Perhaps they see that Avalon is not shipping and they may be able to beat them to market en mass, bfl isn't shipping en mass either. At this point as far as I can tell, nobody is shipping any ASIC's in any kind of quantity to the general public. If somebody is, point it out to me and I will gladly pay them to ship me a unit that has an actual positive ROI and not some shitty little 333MH/s usb miner for 1.99 BTC each (are you kidding me here on this). People are paying $400+ for these things on ebay.

My gut says that with the BS coming out of the Avalon camp (10 chips to test with on an $800,000 order, are you kidding me) to stay away.

Maybe I am wrong here, Maybe I misread or misunderstood the issues with Avalon, if I am then kindly point them out, but it looks to me that Avalon are not shipping what they say they are.

Is Batch 1, 2 and 3 out the door yet??

Avalon should probably be discussed elsewhere, but the difference is we have actual evidence, proof, miners from Avalon. Batch 1 was the risky one, unknown Chinese company, fresh graduates etc. B1 buyers probably made 100k a unit, but Avalon had 'for the greater good' philosophies.

You've raised an important point, this appears to be the best current option. That doesn't make it a good option though. Its like if you go to Mcdonalds and all they've run out of fries. All they have are those fucking retarded carrot sticks, or apple slices. Apple slices are probably the better bet out of the two, but it doesn't make it good.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 03:09:32 AM

No abuse dogie,

Thats fine.

Its too good to be true:
  • really cheap prices
  • 3 month lead time

I beg to defer. We do know. It's called playing the In Two WeeksTM card.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:10:19 AM

So only first batch avalon is suppose to be the only miner anyone is suppose to get great ROI from?  Did you pay attention that this isn't pure ASIC dev and just FPGA design onto small ASIC chip.  Maybe since they are in the business they realized it before the rest.  Maybe they bullshit us.  Place your bets

And Yufi said go hug your mother.  

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
rizzman

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:55:03 AM

@FloridaBear,
Anywhere near south florida?
Fort Lauderdale here
rizzman

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:38:14 AM

No abuse dogie,

Thats fine.

Its too good to be true:
  • really cheap prices
  • 3 month lead time

I can respect your thought process on this one, however don't underestimate the motivation for riches... I'm not rich by any means, but I can tell that if I had the knowledge, means, and most importantly a couple of million dollars that magically landed into my account by random strangers I would make it my goal in life to shit asic's if that was what was needed to keep the money flowing. Now by no means are these guys rich or proven, which arguably works against them, but I'm sure they will give it their damndest to make sure they can give something to their grandchildren. Hopefully its not just a couple million they swindled off some schmucks online... but time will tell.

As for the whole idea of mining your way to success, any investor worth his weight in salt wouldn't even think about dropping 50 million , let alone a million on a unofficially recognized currency that's volatile as hell, and has virtually no serious outlets in which to dump all your golden coins(and no, I doubt Mt'Gox would be able to bring in enough dollars to unload all the coin at a profitable rate). They know this... Its better to sell 10 suckers a pick and get a surefire quick buck than it is to spend hours trying to pan for gold, even if we are the asses wanting the pick, its not hard to understand the concept.  Grin

Admittedly, I am invested in this whole thing, and I have to admit that myself like others are dreaming of sunshine and rainbows, and close to a terrahash of mining power in an environment where BTC is at-least worth $100 USD and difficulty lingering around 100M.  But I am also aware that it could all be a very expensive lesson and nothing more than a pipe dream. Alot of people are overextended in this, and I hope for those that are mortgaging  the house that it pays off but the reality is, your right... there is risk, but nothing good ever comes easy, and Fortune favors the bold.

Lets just hope everyone makes it out of this without triggering another mortgage crisis...
idee2013

Activity: 407

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:14:13 AM

news on queue positions https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-18
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:40:00 AM

$5m seed funding when you're playing with 1 month mining + 2 month lead IRL ROIs. Prove the concept as soon as first hardware deploys = as much funding as you can take.

So now from $50m we are down to $5m? I'm still waiting for you to tell me how long would it take to actually mine $50m or even $5m. The numbers may be big now, but don't forget that until September there will be many many ASIC in the wild (avalon chips, MAYBE retards bfl, ASICMiner plan to deploy another 100TH, 100TH project, Bitfury and so on) so you can't actually make a good projection on how mining will be. Second of all nobody can predict the price. What's the use of xxxxxx bitcoins if the price is way lower than it is today. Why do you think none of the people who made ASIC raised the funds totally outside the bitcoin community? I think many thought about it, but actually doing so may be a lot harder that it seems.  If you think it's that easy go ahead and do it yourself. Find a good team of ASIC developers, find someone with money and start mining for yourself Smiley

If i understood correctly they aren't doing a full custom ASIC chip. They are doing a hard copy from a FPGA one and that seems to be a lot easier and a lot cheaper to do than a custom one.

P.S. of course they can run tomorrow with the money, but the probability is a lot smaller than BFL let's say.

Edit: TheSwede75 i know bitcoin it's the hottest thing, but comparing to any other real life business i still think that there are a lot more skeptics when it comes to this. What amount of money do you say it could be easily funded for a bitcoin business?

fragout
Legendary

Activity: 1279
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 10:20:35 AM

890 total. Is this individual units or can say order number 800 have 10+ units
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: