Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:45:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 252 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Just-Dice.com : Invest in 1% House Edge Dice Game  (Read 435281 times)
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 03:39:22 PM

*darkening the room, bringing out cake with 1 candle*

*Happy birthday to yoouuuu, happy birthdaaaay tooo yoooouuuuu*   Smiley

Congratulations Just-Dice with your 1 month birthday!  Cool  

Thank you very much, RationalSpeculator! It has been an unbelievable first month. The community is fantastic, and I for one count you as one of the best! Smiley

Deb

Ooooh, that really feels good Smiley Thank you so much Deb for your appreciation Smiley

I saw you name being mentioned several times.

Seems like dooglus got very lucky with you.  Wink

Also a big congratulations to you. I'm sure he couldn't have done it without you. Smiley 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RationalSpeculator

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 03:51:14 PM

I dreamed last night there was a litecoin version of just-dice and I took .01ltc up to 200,000ltc. was it a premonition? is there a litecoin version on the todo list?
I think it's best for JD to concentrate on one thing to start with, a dice site with betting in BTC and do that good for a long period. it's way to early to increase risks by adding another currency(LTC for example) to bet in, you would need a large housecapital in litecoins to for that or the site's investors/dooglus would be in severe risk for what market fluctuations in the BTC/LTC price can cause.

If people want to bet with there litecoins, it's easy for them to change them to BTC at btc-e, vircurex, or some other exchange like that. Also the volume one can expect from gambling in litecoin is nowhere near the volumes/values for BTC so one would increase risks for very little benefit by adding other currencys like LTC i think.

This is how I responded also when the question came up for Satoshi Dice. However I'm starting to doubt more and more my opinion that Litecoin will fail.

Sure Litecoin is not superior to bitcoin but inertia, vested interests and decentralization may well make it very hard for bitcoin to improve it's features. It could well be that cryptocurrencies will become a rapid cycle of the rise and fall of different cryptocurrencies. Comparable to the gambling websites on the bitcoin scene. What I couldn't imagine, Satoshi Dice being destroyed by a competitor, happened within a few months.  Roll Eyes  (Satoshi Dice's turnover in USD collapsed by half since Just-Dice launched)

Litecoin may implement some new features tomorrow that do make it technically superior. Combined with mtgox adoption and the already strong foundation of early adopters and evangelists it might take over bitcoin in only a few months time. Chances are very low but it's possible.

It might be that if just-dice does not embrace Litecoin in it's early stages that it might go down together with bitcoin sooner as we all expect.  

Just thinking out loud, honestly I have no clue what the best course of action is. Just getting little nervous of this whole Litecoin thing.
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 04:08:17 PM

Combined with mtgox adoption
This is an ongoing unsubstantiated rumor, hence I'd dismiss it.
AND even if it wasn't a rumor, mtgox is crumbling.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 05:03:46 PM

if you decide to implement the variable investment rate, can you also make an option to enter
how much I have in my cold storage? This way, I won't have to manually manage the investment,
unless it becomes insufficient.

I've only just woken up and not had coffee yet, but could this be the answer for people wanting to invest more but put off by the CP risk?

Every user has not just "balance" (for playing with) and "invested" (coins actively in the bankroll) but also a "local" balance, which is coins the user holds themselves, but consider part of the bankroll.  On every roll, the site risks 1% of ("invested" plus "local") for the user.  The user's percentage of the bankroll stays constant, since everyone is risking 1%, and it works fine until "invested" shrinks to less than 1% of "invested" + "local" (since the site then doesn't have access to the 1% they're risking).

This allows players to risk 1% of their whole holdings without having to send their entire holdings to me.  They only need to send 1% plus however much extra they want as a buffer.

It's a shame this doesn't appear to address the issue of people who want to risk less than 1% of their investment, because otherwise it looks like a good solution to me.

Example:

Say there's 9k invested.  New investor has 1k BTC but doesn't want to have to trust me with it all.  He deposits 100 BTC and says "there's 900 BTC more where that came from that I'd like you to consider the whole 1k invested, but I'll hold it for now".

I update the investors list to say that there's now 10k invested, that the new user has 10% of the bankroll, and that 900 BTC of his is "local" (to him - need a better term for this).  Then a whale loses 2000 BTC.  Total bankroll is 12k.  New user's 10% share is 1200 BTC.  "local" is still 900 BTC, and so the user is free to withdraw up to 300 BTC if he likes.

He's risked 10% of his 100 deposit on every roll without the site having to do lots of math on each roll, just by storing one extra value per user: "local", representing the amount they claim to have invested but stored locally.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Bugpowder

Activity: 394

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 05:44:48 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2013, 06:01:17 PM by Bugpowder

if you decide to implement the variable investment rate, can you also make an option to enter
how much I have in my cold storage? This way, I won't have to manually manage the investment,
unless it becomes insufficient.

I've only just woken up and not had coffee yet, but could this be the answer for people wanting to invest more but put off by the CP risk?

Every user has not just "balance" (for playing with) and "invested" (coins actively in the bankroll) but also a "local" balance, which is coins the user holds themselves, but consider part of the bankroll.  On every roll, the site risks 1% of ("invested" plus "local") for the user.  The user's percentage of the bankroll stays constant, since everyone is risking 1%, and it works fine until "invested" shrinks to less than 1% of "invested" + "local" (since the site then doesn't have access to the 1% they're risking).

This allows players to risk 1% of their whole holdings without having to send their entire holdings to me.  They only need to send 1% plus however much extra they want as a buffer.

It's a shame this doesn't appear to address the issue of people who want to risk less than 1% of their investment, because otherwise it looks like a good solution to me.

Example:

Say there's 9k invested.  New investor has 1k BTC but doesn't want to have to trust me with it all.  He deposits 100 BTC and says "there's 900 BTC more where that came from that I'd like you to consider the whole 1k invested, but I'll hold it for now".

I update the investors list to say that there's now 10k invested, that the new user has 10% of the bankroll, and that 900 BTC of his is "local" (to him - need a better term for this).  Then a whale loses 2000 BTC.  Total bankroll is 12k.  New user's 10% share is 1200 BTC.  "local" is still 900 BTC, and so the user is free to withdraw up to 300 BTC if he likes.

He's risked 10% of his 100 deposit on every roll without the site having to do lots of math on each roll, just by storing one extra value per user: "local", representing the amount they claim to have invested but stored locally.

What is to stop someone from claiming 10,000 coins are in local storage but are 'invested' to get more leverage on the site?

A signed message from an address containing the coins?

Furthermore, what system is in place to ensure that the coins remain in that address? 

For example, F.GIGA.ETF had a signed message saying 900 shares of GIGAMINING were backing it, but there was no way to determine if the backing shares were later sold off, as some suspect.
wolverine.ks

Activity: 375

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 05:49:04 PM

isn't that just fractional reserve investing?
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 06:10:30 PM

I think this extra investing system is going to complicate matters even more. If people want less risk they can simply invest less.

If people don't want to risk having you hold the entire investment, they really should not be investing with you at all.

Also this new system means the investors that trust you the most will be left holding the bag if a whale eats the bankroll and the users with large local investments will just leave.

Then you have to start verifying many other address, also what's to stop the user using their offline balance as collateral for another venture, such as a insured loan?

I think in a few years banks will allow loans insured against bitcoin holdings, and the banks will always have first take on the money, not Just-Dice.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:17:38 PM

Please, no margin / fractional reserve investing.  That just shifts more unnecessary risk to those that aren't leveraged.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:26:46 PM

What is to stop someone from claiming 10,000 coins are in local storage but are 'invested' to get more leverage on the site?

Furthermore, what system is in place to ensure that the coins remain in that address? 

I think you're missing the point.  I don't care if they really have the coins they claim to have or not.  I let them risk 1% of their total claimed amount, until the coins I have control of from them are less than 1% of the total they claim.  Then I force-divest them.

It could be that they have in fact invested all their coins, and the other 99% in the "local" storage are a lie.  That just means that they're risking 100% of their coins per roll, and will go bust when the first max bet wins.

I don't think this passes any extra risk onto other investors.  It is somewhat like trading on margin, but with the important difference that there's no risk of slippage when I have to "liquidate" their position.  I just remove them from the bankroll.

The effect I'm looking for is a way that people can risk more than 1% of what they've sent me without making the calculations too complex.  I think this "fractional reserve" idea does it.  Please don't just react to the fractional reserve concept at a gut level.  I don't need to be holding all the coins you claim to be risking 1% of (and I don't even care whether you have them either), so long as I always make sure I have access to all the coins you're actually risking per roll.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
wolverine.ks

Activity: 375

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:51:48 PM

so is their percentage of the bankroll calculated from what portion you controld, or from the amount they claim to have set aside for JD?
mechs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:54:28 PM

I don't understand how you can verify they actually have the local balance they claim to have?  Also, if you do this, maybe you should make the default edge lower and people can up-leverage themselves to 1% or more with their local coins.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:15:50 PM

I dreamed last night there was a litecoin version of just-dice and I took .01ltc up to 200,000ltc. was it a premonition? is there a litecoin version on the todo list?
I think it's best for JD to concentrate on one thing to start with, a dice site with betting in BTC and do that good for a long period. it's way to early to increase risks by adding another currency(LTC for example) to bet in, you would need a large housecapital in litecoins to for that or the site's investors/dooglus would be in severe risk for what market fluctuations in the BTC/LTC price can cause.

If people want to bet with there litecoins, it's easy for them to change them to BTC at btc-e, vircurex, or some other exchange like that. Also the volume one can expect from gambling in litecoin is nowhere near the volumes/values for BTC so one would increase risks for very little benefit by adding other currencys like LTC i think.

This is how I responded also when the question came up for Satoshi Dice. However I'm starting to doubt more and more my opinion that Litecoin will fail.

Sure Litecoin is not superior to bitcoin but inertia, vested interests and decentralization may well make it very hard for bitcoin to improve it's features. It could well be that cryptocurrencies will become a rapid cycle of the rise and fall of different cryptocurrencies. Comparable to the gambling websites on the bitcoin scene. What I couldn't imagine, Satoshi Dice being destroyed by a competitor, happened within a few months.  Roll Eyes  (Satoshi Dice's turnover in USD collapsed by half since Just-Dice launched)

Litecoin may implement some new features tomorrow that do make it technically superior. Combined with mtgox adoption and the already strong foundation of early adopters and evangelists it might take over bitcoin in only a few months time. Chances are very low but it's possible.

It might be that if just-dice does not embrace Litecoin in it's early stages that it might go down together with bitcoin sooner as we all expect.  

Just thinking out loud, honestly I have no clue what the best course of action is. Just getting little nervous of this whole Litecoin thing.

I'm a great fan of Litecoin & it's potential, if Just-Dice decided to add it then I'd chat to dooglus about backing the house with a 6 figure pot (of ltc) from day one.

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Deprived

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:23:33 PM

I don't understand how you can verify they actually have the local balance they claim to have?  Also, if you do this, maybe you should make the default edge lower and people can up-leverage themselves to 1% or more with their local coins.

You don't need to verify they have them as the only coins of theirs that will ever back anything are the ones dooglus DOES have control of.

Only small down-side to it is that max-bet is likely to plummet fast if a whale starts winning big - as more and more people's cash on deposit runs out (whether they have more or not is irrelevant if they aren't around to refill).  But if it starts off higher (which it almost certainly would) then it's not a real problem.

So someone with 100 BTC could do any of:

Deposit and invest 100 and get 1% risk exposure on their 100 BTC.
Deposit and invest 10 BTC and get 0.1% risk exposure on their 100 BTC.
Deposit and invest 100 BTC plus claim they have another 900 BTC in reserve and get 10% risk exposure on their 100 BTC.

The second one is the one people wanting lower risk seem to miss - that they can get behaviour pretty similar to 0.1% risk already by withdrawing 90% of their coins (actual behaviour varies from true 0.1% risk exposure increasingly as the balance moves further from initial deposit).  And the differences in behaviour actually act in a manner more consistent with the objectives of those wanting low risk (e.g. losses from even a mega-lucky whale capped at 10% of BR).

This sort of system is far more efficient use of capital - at the expense of investors having to think for a few seconds about what they're doing.
RationalSpeculator

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:25:07 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2013, 08:39:27 PM by RationalSpeculator

I think you're missing the point.  I don't care if they really have the coins they claim to have or not.  I let them risk 1% of their total claimed amount, until the coins I have control of from them are less than 1% of the total they claim.  Then I force-divest them.

It could be that they have in fact invested all their coins, and the other 99% in the "local" storage are a lie.  That just means that they're risking 100% of their coins per roll, and will go bust when the first max bet wins.

I don't think this passes any extra risk onto other investors.  It is somewhat like trading on margin, but with the important difference that there's no risk of slippage when I have to "liquidate" their position.  I just remove them from the bankroll.

The effect I'm looking for is a way that people can risk more than 1% of what they've sent me without making the calculations too complex.  I think this "fractional reserve" idea does it.  Please don't just react to the fractional reserve concept at a gut level.  I don't need to be holding all the coins you claim to be risking 1% of (and I don't even care whether you have them either), so long as I always make sure I have access to all the coins you're actually risking per roll.

On first impression this looks interesting. Is it correct to state that since investors can lose maximum 80% of their investment, as the simulation showed, they could immediately leverage up by say 15% without risking to be 'pushed out of their position'? So in your example an investor could immediately add 15% more coins to the 'local' storage without actually raising their risk (and by doing so raising the maximum bet of the house also by 15%)?
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:28:10 PM

so is their percentage of the bankroll calculated from what portion you controld, or from the amount they claim to have set aside for JD?

They risk 1% of (what they deposit and invest + what they say they have locally).

That has to be less than their actual deposit, or they get liquidated.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:29:52 PM

I don't verify it, and I don't care.  They're risking 1% of what they deposit plus what they claim to have locally.  If they don't actually have the amount they claim, then they're running a large risk of ruin.  That's OK with me, so long as they realise that's what they're doing.  The site isn't at risk - we only let them risk what they have on deposit.  All this does is allows them to keep most of their coins safe, rather than sitting in the cold wallet of some guy they don't know very well on the Internet (hey, that's me!).

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
thy

Activity: 685

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:35:57 PM

I think you're missing the point.  I don't care if they really have the coins they claim to have or not.  I let them risk 1% of their total claimed amount, until the coins I have control of from them are less than 1% of the total they claim.  Then I force-divest them.

It could be that they have in fact invested all their coins, and the other 99% in the "local" storage are a lie.  That just means that they're risking 100% of their coins per roll, and will go bust when the first max bet wins.

I don't think this passes any extra risk onto other investors.  It is somewhat like trading on margin, but with the important difference that there's no risk of slippage when I have to "liquidate" their position.  I just remove them from the bankroll.

The effect I'm looking for is a way that people can risk more than 1% of what they've sent me without making the calculations too complex.  I think this "fractional reserve" idea does it.  Please don't just react to the fractional reserve concept at a gut level.  I don't need to be holding all the coins you claim to be risking 1% of (and I don't even care whether you have them either), so long as I always make sure I have access to all the coins you're actually risking per roll.

This thing you suggest is totally absurd, that you would let people take a gamble(with 100% of there investment on the site at risk on each bet) for it to go there way and if it does they will profit up to 100 times more then the a "real investor" that only gets 1% of the site's profit if it goes the right way.

It's more or less setup to screw people that want a resonable risk/reward as some will claim to have 100 times more than they have then and will take 100 times more of the profit, than the investors that dont lie will only get 1/100 of what they should have gotten, or they can expect a return in the region of 0,02%-0,05% interest if that thing you suggest will become popular.
Also you will get some very unhappy investors that will take the gamble and risk way to high amount of there bankroll and end up unlucky enouth to go broke on the investors side.

Also i trust that you run a legit business here dooglus but the fact that you even suggests such an alternative looks very suspicious as it could make manipulations 100 times more profitable for you, how easy woulden't it be for you to pick a nice entry and exit point for an investment and use some other account to make a huge fake swing in the site's profit, and take almost 100% of the profit when the site goes up and then divest and take 0% of the site's loss. No dooglus this ide is totally wrong way to go i would say.

dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:43:58 PM

maybe you should make the default edge lower and people can up-leverage themselves to 1% or more with their local coins.

Oh, yes.  That's maybe the answer to how to allow people to risk only 0.1% of their investment without having to micro-manage things.  Except you don't mean "edge", I'm sure.

Change the risk level to 0.1%, but default to 10x leverage (a).  Is that equivalent to 1% risk with 1x (ie. no) leverage (b)?

In (b), investor has 100 BTC, risks 1% per roll.  After losing 1 max bet, investor has 99 BTC and risks 0.99 BTC on next roll.

In (a), investor has 100 BTC, says they have another 900 locally, risks 0.1% of the (100+900) total.  After losing 1 max bet, investor has 99 BTC on site and claims to have 900 "locally".  New (invested+local) = 99+900 = 999, so risks 0.999 on next roll.

Hmm.  They're different.  The amount lost is the same in both cases, but the increased leverage in (a) means that the amount risked goes down less per loss.  It seems there's no longer a way for the guy who wants to risk 1% of his investment per roll to carry on doing so as he was before.  And that's no good.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:45:27 PM

So in your example an investor could immediately add 15% more coins to the 'local' storage without actually raising their risk (and by doing so raising the maximum bet of the house also by 15%)?

They could, but they would be increasing their risk of ruin.  There's a non-zero chance that bankroll can lose more than 80% of its value.  It's just a low chance, and it didn't happen yet in the simulation.  That doesn't mean it can't happen.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Bugpowder

Activity: 394

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:52:38 PM

I think you're missing the point.  I don't care if they really have the coins they claim to have or not.  I let them risk 1% of their total claimed amount, until the coins I have control of from them are less than 1% of the total they claim.  Then I force-divest them.

It could be that they have in fact invested all their coins, and the other 99% in the "local" storage are a lie.  That just means that they're risking 100% of their coins per roll, and will go bust when the first max bet wins.

I don't think this passes any extra risk onto other investors.  It is somewhat like trading on margin, but with the important difference that there's no risk of slippage when I have to "liquidate" their position.  I just remove them from the bankroll.

The effect I'm looking for is a way that people can risk more than 1% of what they've sent me without making the calculations too complex.  I think this "fractional reserve" idea does it.  Please don't just react to the fractional reserve concept at a gut level.  I don't need to be holding all the coins you claim to be risking 1% of (and I don't even care whether you have them either), so long as I always make sure I have access to all the coins you're actually risking per roll.

Well then forget about the local coins completely, they are totally irrelevant.

What you are trying to do is simply a more computationally efficient way to get arbitrarily increased risk exposure, right?

A person has a deposit amount and a coin multiplier amount. Right now the multiplier is 1. You track real coins on deposit, and multiplied coins. If a loss on an account holder's multiplied coins exceeds the deposit balance, then the real balance is wiped out. The max bet is 1% of the total number of multiplied coins on the site.

It's clever, but I suspect implementing it will be less efficient than you think.  You need to track two balances per account.  You need to test for the edge cases for when the loss exposure on a bet would potentially exceed the remaining reserve of some account. What do you do then?  Force liquidate or lock account when reserves are less than the potential max loss from a single bet?

Also, both the real coins and the multiplied coins will still be changing after each bet right?  Or I suppose you have the total number of multiplied coins fixed and the multiplier amount be variable after each bet.
Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 252 »
  Print  

Jump to: